Samsung 244T - finally!

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy this? Does any store carry this for pickup or is this a order only?

newegg.com has the best price i've seen. That's where i bought from, shipped out promptly after the new years holidays and arrived guaranteed 3 day. I haven't opened it yet because i had it shipped to school and i'm not there yet. very excited though. also, if you decide on buying from newegg (smart choice) you'll want to be refreshing the page about 5 times a day for availability. this was out of stock the day previous to when i bought it and is out of stock now again. so... hot item :-D

Newegg is great but I was looking for somewhere with a better return policy.

yoshi9784 said:
Oh, yeah, it's worth it. The native screen resolution(1920x1200) and support for 1080p and HDCP make it worth it. But not only that. Just the fact that there is no backlight issues, a solid design, fast response time, brilliant color, and the screen does not reflect like a mirror like my old(1yr) Viewsonic VP912b does--makes it worth it.

I also have no dead pixels. I read somewhere on these forums that Samsung has a no dead pixel policy. That is a strong statement about the quality of the manufacturing process that Samsung has.

Are you a sales person? Seriously, all 24 inch screens are as you describe. I was asking why this one is worth $500 more than the "next best" 24 inch screen.

velusip said:
Are you a sales person? Seriously, all 24 inch screens are as you describe. I was asking why this one is worth $500 more than the "next best" 24 inch screen.

Maybe I should have inserted the word "better" in front of all those features. I saw both the 2405FPW and the 244T. I have yet to see an LCD that surpasses the 244T. There are so many good things about it.

Really what you should be asking is - what feature do you really want in a monitor and which monitor excels in that area?

yoshi9784 said:
I read somewhere on these forums that Samsung has a no dead pixel policy. That is a strong statement about the quality of the manufacturing process that Samsung has.

The minimum number of defective pixels we allow before we will replace an in warranty monitor is as follows:

* For a 15" Monitor - 7 or more bad pixels
* For 17" and 19" Monitors -10 or more bad pixels
* For 21" - 24" Monitors - 17 or more bad pixels.

For questions or the replacement procedure, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864).

Actually this monitor has a -426ms response time, acorrding to a website I saw somewhere on the internet. I also saw pictures of santa claus on the internet, which means he is real.

I've been in contact with Samsung UK and they say that the 244T does indeed support HDCP.

I have therefore ordered the monitor, but I would advise others to seek there own confirmation prior to ordering. I won't fully believe it until I see it working!

Providing its true, why have Samsung missed this marketing possibility by not advertising HDCP support on there website?

I called Samsung USA and they said it was HDCP compliant, according to their internal database, but at one point the person did say that there was a contradiction to that claim in the same database. :confused:

Someone needs to hook up a DVD player with a DVI-HDCP interface and find out once and for all if this thing HDCP compliant. My guess is that it is not. Would Samsung be that stupid to miss that type of marketing info, when they have included it on their other monitors?

I just don't want to spend that much money if there is a chance that HDCP will be hard to crack. I'd rather be future safe.

Anyone have an HDCP compliant source (DVD, cable box) that they can test the monitor with?

I'm considering the Samsung 214T display .... if anyone could post a picture of your computer station with this display (either here or at the 'post your setup' thread) that would be very cool.

I've updated the first post, and most important is the addition of CNET's review of the display, which also contains a video!

On a sidenote, my own interest in this display has fallen considerably as I'm not pleased enough with the esthetics. I want such an expensive piece of equipment to not just perform well, but also have looks that match the price tag. Sony's P234 and Apple's Cinema Displays are good examples.

Improvement in performance will come all the time (LED backlighting, SED...) but good design will always be good design.

ComCool said:
Is it much better then the Sony's P234?...

I don't know really. But what keeps me from going with the P234 or an Apple Cinema Display is that they're rather old. I'd prefer to buy new revisions.

You think the 244t looks bad? Man, you've got problems. I'll take a simple all-black over a silver/charcoal combo ANY day of the week.

FitzRoy said:
You think the 244t looks bad? Man, you've got problems. I'll take a simple all-black over a silver/charcoal combo ANY day of the week.

I wouldn't say it looks bad. But when you compare it to the displays I mentioned it looks quite dull. It's a matter of opinion and taste. If you prefer the 244T, good for you! It probably performs better and is cheaper aswell.

Is Gateway FPD2185W its 21 inch. says right on sticker on monitor DVI-D with HDCP Input.

Only monitor I know of that has it.

Well I'm really leaning towards buying this screen. I really want the HDCP because I plan on using this screen as a TV as well as a computer monitor. It looks like it is overall slightly higher quality than the Dell as well, based on the reports. Does anybody that has used both the Dell 24" and this Samsung display care to comment?

I would also really like to be able to pick this display up at a physical store for easy returns should I end up finding too many negatives. Do any stores sell this monitor?

well i just bit the bullet and bought this monster. i was trying to decide between the dell 2405, the sony p234 and this, and today i decided that i wanted the newest and most top of the line. i'm a big gamer, so quick refresh and good color are important to me. however, i'm realizing this monitor has one major drawback: image lag.

i immediately noticed that my mouse cursor was lagging behind a bit on my movements. i was able to confirm this by quickly dragging a window up and down while the window was on both of my dual monitors. my secondary monitor is a hyundai L90D+, which has an immediate response. it was very clear that the 244t was lagging behind on how quickly it could draw the screen.

in terms of actual pixel refresh however, this monitor is amazing. no ghosting and the colors are terrific. it's just that display lag that's either really going to take some getting used to or drive me crazy in the next couple days. it's currently looking like i may return this. is it possible that my unit is just defective? i'm doubting it, because i'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't even notice this problem (i'm one of those gamers that uses a really high mouse sensitivity, so it's more apparent).

i'm going to probably try the VGA input to see if it's any better (although i will definitely be sacrificing quality). but honestly, for $1400 i really expected this monitor to be damn near perfect. sigh...

Native resolutions..

You get that lag at all resolutions? I have heard people with the Dell 2405 had the same problem so I don't find it 100% surprising.

Pete

yeah, all resolutions. and with both vga and dvi. definitely returning this tomorrow. i'm just gonna wait until the next generation, when zero image lag and 75hz+ at native res will be guaranteed.

Does any user of 244T can confirm that composite/s-video input has wrong aspect ratio when the size is set to wide? Is it true that instead of 16:9 format we have stretched 16:10 when watching e.g. HDTV signal ? I can't believie that :(

the lag seems to be a side effect of the PVA technology, doesnt look good as even yet to be released monitors are based on PVA.

Really so the big Sony Monitors (23") have no input lag? I am not sure I buy that... Personally I doubt I would notice any such lag as I am not a "hardcore" gamer. but who knows till I get one.

pete

I bought the 244T from a site that had return satisfaction clauses. So far, it seems nice for most things.... except the lag... I did some unscientific tests and draw some thoughts...

DVI using 7800, mouse accel off, DX max rendered frames set to 1.
I perceive the lag is worse at higher resolutions. I still see some lag at 640x480, but seems to be more noticeable at higher resolution in COD2 and Q4. I am doing some 90 degree twitching using a G7 and and an older 518 mouse.

I tried it with the desktop at native and lower resolutions with an equivalent viewing size explorer window, too. Again, this is very subjective and unscientific. I would speculate the overdrive technology cannot process the exponentially larger info created with higher resolutions.

Can anyone that had or has a 244T confirm lag increases with resolution?

I have a few days to decide if it's a keeper or not. Initially, I thought I didn't care about HDCP, but with Vista coming, unless there's a HDCP hack, older panels won't work. I am leaning on keeping and game on a smaller LCD. Wife getting a little pissed at the CRT junkyard at my house.

Sorry guys... talking out of my a$$.

I thought I saw different results from a few minutes varying resolutions and forcing 4:3/16:9 on the Sammy. After playing longer at each resolution and monitor aspect ratio, lag seems equal. It's all monitor doing the lag.

Some games are manageable, others just plain sux. Overall, I do think the 244T performs better than the 2405, but if you're picky, I would avoid 24" lcd monitors for games in the near future.

I may check out that NEC 20WMGX2 for gaming. Got a $50 rebate until Feb 25.

Good luck with the hunt.

The NEC is causing a bit of stir, Iam gona check it out but the vertical resolution is gona be a problem for me.

Sting808 said:
I may check out that NEC 20WMGX2 for gaming. Got a $50 rebate until Feb 25.

You my want to check your local Fry's if you are in the USA. I saw one at my local Fry's here in Dallas, TX and it was a nice monitor. I was surprised to see it in the states so soon. However if I did not love my Gareway 21" which I have had since November 2005, the NEC is what I would get. Keep in mind it has the glossy screen, but it was nice. Also it was connected to an individual machine (PC) when I looked at it. Not on the monitor chain you normally see in retail stores.

Fry's link:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4717629?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Sting808 said:
Some games are manageable, others just plain sux. Overall, I do think the 244T performs better than the 2405, but if you're picky, I would avoid 24" lcd monitors for games in the near future.

i agree. yesterday i went out and bought a samsung 204b from best buy so i have 30 days to try it out. it's definitely much much better about the lag (it's either non existant or really too small to tell), but the only downside is that i can't get higher than 60hz at the native res of 1600x1200 with the DVI connection (post about it is here). however, the tearing and whatnot are not as noticeable as they were on my hyndai L90D+ at 60hz, so i may end up keeping it.

hopefully the next generation in LCD technology will allow a much higher bandwidth to pass through the DVI cable (although i thought dual link was all about that) and will really eliminate the image lag altogether.

Kleox64,
I may keep the Sammy for my regular use(vertical res concerns, too) and look at multi setup. Just when I thought I could clean up my workstation area... Sammy tilts, Sony doesn't.

Tempest,
I found the rebate from Buy.com, went to necdisplay and looked up the authorized resellers that would be honored for the $50 rebate found here:
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/resellerlist.htm

I would prefer a wide format, but will entertain a good 19"... My co-worker bought the Westy 37" and he likes it A little overwhelming and taxing for everyday common use. When 1080P is supported on HDMI for DLPs or SXRDs, that'll be my big screen gaming monitor.

May be over a year out from reasonably priced, large "all-around" monitors.

i went with the 204b 20.1" synchmaster running dual from my pcie sapphire 800x gto myself. had the money for a 24er but i didnt think it would go well with bf2. (i live and breathe it) 5ms refresh for excellent gaming. got it from pagecomputers.com for like 500 even.. it listed as 700 i think. great moniter. no ghosting at all.

sniggle said:
but the only downside is that i can't get higher than 60hz at the native res of 1600x1200 with the DVI connection (post about it is here). however, the tearing and whatnot are not as noticeable as they were on my hyndai L90D+ at 60hz, so i may end up keeping it.

Can't disable vsynch and use triple buffering? That is what I do for any game that can't hit 60FPS consistantly.

eastvillager said:
Can't disable vsynch and use triple buffering? That is what I do for any game that can't hit 60FPS consistantly.

i never use vsynch since it makes the game less responsive in my opinion. i think i'm going to end up returning the 204b since i really do notice a difference in my gaming performance when i go between 60hz and 75hz. i think i'll just wait until someone makes relatively low resolution (1920x1200 or less) monitor that utilizes dual link dvi so it has plenty of bandwidth to hit 85hz+ at native res. (i say relatively low resolution in reference to what resolution is possible with dual link dvi)

i run the 204b bf2 at 16x12.. its effing perfect.. im also running 2 gigs corsair.. thermaltake armour with a 250 power supply just for water and a 600 for card mb hd monitor.

I am keeping the 244T as my general use monitor. I may have some regret if a new 23"-24" panel is introduced that has great overall performance, but that the biz...

I received the NEC LCD20WMGX2 (silver/whilte) yesterday. A huge difference in input response. The reflective screen is a nuisance at times, but I game in low light and rarely have a light source behind me. I looked at the Gateway 2185 at CC(Office Depot & Best Buy has them, too). Esthetics is nice, but discovered the Faroudja integration is available only on composite and s-video, useless for me. I didn't notice any input lag like the 244T, but decided to go by the better NEC specs(30 day return policy from CDW).

Also, the NEC has a built-in RF tuner that's "ok". My Haupauge using BTV4 and the DVI video card as a scaler does a better job than the built-in tuner/internal scaler. I haven't tried HD contect since my cable boxes are on my main TVs. It has detachable speakers and a decent remote control.

If widescreen gaming is a must, the NEC does a way better job than the 244T. I just swirled around a window at Circuit City and watched part of Sky High so made a subjective call.

a guy in this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

He seems to have fixed his input lag on a 244t by changing some options. his video card is ati and not nvidia, but are there any options in the nvidia panel to tinker with? i want to buy one of these monitors, but not if it's going to make mouse input laggy. it sure seems unintuitive that a monitor would "change" mouse input. i really doubt that theres a visual phenomenon occurring to "trick" your mind into thinking your hand motions are lagging behind, so it sure seems to me that the lag must be a driver issue.

Here's a quote:
I managed to finally get hold of a Samsung SM244T here in the UK after 3 weeks.
Samsung doesnt' seem to manage to produce enough of them at the moment..Mine has a manufacturing date of February 2006.

Anyway I ordered it because it seemed it was more future proof than the Dell 2405FPW thanks to HDCP and after reading various reviews I came accross the "lcd lag" or "input lag" issue.

I received the montior last Saturday and plugged it straightaway to a machine with a low end graphics card. I think it was a 9600 Pro but I am not sure now.
It didn't feel sluggish, mouse was as responsive when computer was plugged to a 17 inch LCD.
I didn't play any games on that monitor so I can't say for definite whether the lcd lag issue was definitely not there on this particular computer.

I later plugged this monitor to a 9700 Pro and straigthaway the mouse felt weird under Windows. It was as if the mouse was always lagging behind movements I made. The impression it felt was that the mouse was running at say 40hz and on top of that there was a noticeable delay. Weird..
I fired up Quake 3 and I again noticed the issue, no way I could use the good old Railgun. Movements were always imprecise, it was as if my graphics card couldn't cope with it when I know for certain it can easily do 1600*1200 so 1920 shouldn't be too difficult.

So....I had a look at these DVI settings on the ATI drivers control panel in the Options tab and I ticked the following boxes :
Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displayes
Alternate DVI operational mode

I didn't play with the full set of combinations with these buttons but at the moment it clearly feels much better than the first time I plugged this monitor to the R9700 Pro.
I launched Quake 3 and then it was a completely different game, graphics were smooth and mouse was fairly responsive.

Now I can't tell if it is as responsive as on my previous 22 inch CRT (Mitsubish 2040u) because of the following two reasons :
-I changed my wired mouse to a wireless mouse a while ago and the wireless mouse never felt as good as the old one for gaming
-I never played in 1920*1200 on the CRT but only at 1600*1200 so this might have an impact.

PS : I tried changing the frequency from 60hz (normal DVI mode) to 75 or more but I felt that it never helped to fix the issue.

To conclude this post, I was initially thinking of sending this monitor back because it felt it was completely impractical but now thanks to the new settings I'm definitely going to keep it.

Hope this helps
Daniel

Its not a driver issue. I notice no decrease in lag when using those settings on my ATI machine. There are also no such settings in the nvidia control panel.

Personally, I think they are stupid settings that when checked just slow down the rate at which the card sends info to the DVI cable for compatiblity. I think nvidia just uses the normal frequency.

The problem is almost certainly that the larger screens have much more data to process through their DSPs which generates lag. A DSP is used to scale a display, buffer and calculate information for the overdrive technology and to polish the image for a specific LCD screen. The problem is that the current crop of DSPs are not fast enough to handle 1900x1200 pixels without introducing a serious delay.

Calling it Mouse Lag is misleading because using the mouse is how most people notice the lag. The delay is actually happening between the time the LCD recieves a frame from the video card and the time the fram is actually displayed on the screen.

I say we make an effort to stop calling it mouse lag and start referring to it by Input Lag or Monitor Delay. As in:

This monitor has input lag, there is a noticable delay from when the monitor recieves input and when that data is displayed on the screen.

Thanks for that reply. I definately could not live with anything approaching a noticeable delay in monitor output. Pretty discouraging that this is the current state of LCD after so long.

Back