Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22"

Just got mine, still in the box....
couple of questions before I start setup.
What settings is everyone using, is the blue tint on white something the settings take care of?

Atar3on posted 4:3 pics and said drivers (Nvidia) I have an ati1800xt do the drivers 6.12 support this feature?

YEP get an 8800GTX (I WISH) first one below $500 I am in LOL

Does the samsung CD setup need to be used?

Thanks big time for info

NO dead or stuck pixels 10/10
Well the backlight bleed is rediculous in about everything but games. 2/10
I tried WOW and BF2 and both looked great at the righer rez and played fine on my system.

I have brightness turned down to 65 and the bottom half of the desktop is a LOT brighter than the top....and on black screen the top and bottom have about 1" of light showing thru.

I looked at the box and not sure but they put a thick soft pad right in the middle of the screen. I wonder if stacking and shipping and shifting don't bend the screen inwards on this pad.
THIS IS GOING BACK....BUT I ordered online because there were none in store.
Can I return to store and refund/exchange for a different brand?

man this sucks....I love this monitor but I can't live with this.

sparks said:
NO dead or stuck pixels 10/10
Well the backlight bleed is rediculous in about everything but games. 2/10
I tried WOW and BF2 and both looked great at the righer rez and played fine on my system.

I have brightness turned down to 65 and the bottom half of the desktop is a LOT brighter than the top....and on black screen the top and bottom have about 1" of light showing thru.

I looked at the box and not sure but they put a thick soft pad right in the middle of the screen. I wonder if stacking and shipping and shifting don't bend the screen inwards on this pad.
THIS IS GOING BACK....BUT I ordered online because there were none in store.
Can I return to store and refund/exchange for a different brand?

man this sucks....I love this monitor but I can't live with this.

return to store and open a new one in store and look at it. I've done this in CC before, I dont know where you got the monitor, but they shouldnt have a problem with that. Apparently the backlight is very hit or miss with this monitor. It *is* possible to get a good one.

OH heck I forgot to say.

I got it at CC.

Had to order the store was out.

I like this monitor but I can't handle this bleed.

I might go to store and exchange if they get more, if not I guess its refund or
maybe try the acer its in stock (man I remember when ACER went out of business in the USA after all the law suits, they moved overseas, don't know about now)

sparks said:
OH heck I forgot to say.

I got it at CC.

Had to order the store was out.

I like this monitor but I can't handle this bleed.

I might go to store and exchange if they get more, if not I guess its refund or
maybe try the acer its in stock (man I remember when ACER went out of business in the USA after all the law suits, they moved overseas, don't know about now)

Got mine from CC also . First one was BAD on the bleed , so it went bck for an exchange . Second one has bleed , but very livable and only noticable on very dark screens . CC gave me no hassle , but they kinda "scratched" thier heads when I said "bleed" problem ; as they did not have a clue what I was refering too , lol .

I have newer 19" Acer that has abosolutly NO bleed what so-ever . I almost went for a 22" Acer for that reason . But as it stands , Iam pretty happy with the 225bw as it seems to do colors better , it being a newer model TN panel (with possible true 8bit) .The 225BW does seem to be an 8bit panel ; well atleast from doing side-by-side comparisons to some other 22" panels .

I assume that both of you purchased in store.

Will I get anything about online and not in store purchase?

I hope that if they get some more in the bleed is fixed.

Did you get to try before you left the store?

sparks said:
I assume that both of you purchased in store.

Will I get anything about online and not in store purchase?

I hope that if they get some more in the bleed is fixed.

Did you get to try before you left the store?

I did online purchase/instore pick-up (due to an online purchase only rebate).

Nope , I did not try out the lcd instore and did not even think of doing it as the lighting instore is pretty brite and would most likely not show the true bleed very well . I live close enough that a return/exchange and home trial seemed like a much better idea .Iam not even sure my local CC would even allow an instore trial like that . Besides the fact that to show the true bleed of an lcd it should have a incoming signal . I noticed if my 225bw is turned on but has no incomming signal then there is NO bleed at all ; it only shows up with an incoming signal .

I would suggest to take the lcd home to give a true/real run around the block .

I just picked up one of these monitros today and It seems like there are no dead pixels. I ran pixel buddy and i couldnt see anything. It may be different if i take a magnifying glass out and look but so far everything looks good. There is the bleeding on the monitor that everyone talks about but I can live with it i guess. Luckily I bought it at a store so i can take it back if i really starts to bother me over the next couple days. I have a question for you guys playing BF2. I had to connect my other monitor and set the defualt settings to even get the game to load. How are you setting resolutions of the game when you cant select them in the game itself. I set mine via. the porperties setting on the desktop. ""C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050" Is this what everyone elese is doing? Next, what settings are you using the the "video" tab in-game. What about 2142? I cant even get the properties trick to work.

Thanks Scott

ya bf2 is gay, it won't load for me either, has something to do with it being installed and I was using a CRT previously. even if I to the command line res it doesn't load. so I either have to reinstall the game, or go grab my 21` 60lbs CRT in the basement just to fix BF2 game.

I think i'm gonna reinstall will be easier on my back lol

EA = Lame!

Put widescreen support in your games bunch of knobs I tell ya.

I got it working and just playd for a couple hours. It looks good but i figured stuff would be a little smaller at 1680x1050. Every thing is HUGE. Maybe im just not used to this monitor yet. I still cant get 2142 to work though.

I tried the BF2 (crap game,planes are lame) but anyway I just used the string in the boot like SpinCykle posted . got it from widescreen monitor site and it booted with no problems.

going to CC this morning and I hope that I get a good one on exchange....Have to drive 30 miles to a store that has one in stock...store 2 miles away is oos.

IF this doesn't work I don't know what to do.

well I went to CC and they brought out a retaped box and said here. I said wait a minute let me look at the Acer...OK I ended up getting it. Got it home thinking well its $200 less.
overall I would say 10/10 no dead or stuck pixels. 7/10 bleed....about 60% of the samsung.
pic quality about the same. Browsing better than samsung...more uniform lighting on page samsung was way brighter on the bottom half of the screen..
for the price I would say keeper...if it was $400 I would say tooo much bleed as well.

I don't have them side by side...but I can't tell any difference in them so far.

Never posted this yet, I have a brown box made in August 06. And Black light bleed is not bad at all.

Will have to post a picture up of it soon.

Well I have had the acer 2 days and it started to buzzzzz.
I don't know AHHHHHHHH
this one is going back...I am giving up on these damn 22" screens
they are all junk as far as I am concerned.

sparks said:
Well I have had the acer 2 days and it started to buzzzzz.
I don't know AHHHHHHHH
this one is going back...I am giving up on these damn 22" screens
they are all junk as far as I am concerned.
Try the 225BW again. I've been extremely happy with mine. The backlight bleed on mine is so minimal that I actually have to concentrate to see it, now. LOL

I built a Windows XP Media Center 2005 a few years back and I was wondering if anyone has tried watching TV on this monitor. If so, what do you think? Has anyone tried to hook the Samsung 225BW to a HDTV cable box yet? If so, how does this monitor look watching HDTV? Thanks for any imput that anyone would have on this. I just ordered a Gateway FPD2485W monitor, but after reviewing the thread on the Gateway, I am thinking about taking it back as soon as I get it and purchase the smaller Samsung instead.

I just got a Samsung 225bw from BestBuy for $350+tax. No dead pixels confirmed with Dead Pixel Buddy. This is my 2nd personal LCD (used many Dell 19"s at work).

After changing from the Viewsonic VX2025wm to this, I am glad to say that the blacklight bleeding is FAR LESS than the Viewsonic. In a well lit room it is barely visible. Not nearly as distracting as the Viewsonic.

PixerPan shows response times to be very good (to the eye). A quick 5 minute run around in WoW, panning the camera like a crazy person shows no ghosting at all.

First impressions:
I am very impressed.
No dead pixels.
The backlight bleeding is MINIMAL in my panel. Not going to be noticeable in everyday use.
Text is very clear.
Colors are eye popping.
Thin bezel.
Me likey.

I have had mine since early Oct and have to agree 100% with what you have said. There are some lemons out there, so some people need to be patient ... and others are perfectionists and expecting something greater than what they are paying (in most cases we get what we pay for) ... but I am very happy with mine. :)

anakin357 said:
No dead pixels confirmed with Dead Pixel Buddy.

I am glad to say that the blacklight bleeding is barely visible.

No ghosting at all.

First impressions:
I am very impressed.
No dead pixels.
The backlight bleeding is MINIMAL in my panel. Not going to be noticeable in everyday use.
Text is very clear.
Colors are eye popping.
Thin bezel.
Me likey.

Just got myself the samsung from Sam's club (damn me for not noticing that online BB sale!) and am nervous on if I got a lemon...

1) Backlight bleed: yeah, it's bad. I'll see what i can do, but I expected this when I got it so not too angry.

2) DVI: This is my first DVI monitor so i'm not sure if there's some sort of special setup I need to go through, but for the life of me I can't get DVI to work on my computer. If I just have the DVI cable plugged in, I can see the initial bios flash, but then the screen goes blank and tries switching back and forth between DVI and analog before going into standby. Have tried installing both the Analog and Digital versions of the display driver with no changes....

3)Streaks: If I look closely on the left side of the monitor there seem to be these faint vertical streaks. They're only really noticeable on a light background, but they are pretty damn annoying, and worthy of replacing the screen for that alone...

4)"32-bit": Now, I know there's a debating going on on whether this is a "true" 8-bit panel or if it uses dithering...but i see no difference between 16-bit and 32-bit color...even the color spectrum in display properties looks identical...WTF?

FYI: this was a white box with Nov '06 manufacture date...so are these things getting worse the newer they are? Should I have tried getting a brown box? Also, i'm not sure on Sam's Clubs return policies, but I have a feeling i'll have to ship this back to samsung if I plan on replacing it. I did here earlier that they'll ship you a new monitor before you ship yours in, but do you still have to pay up for shipping fees?

Anyway, I got this for my computer back at school, so i'm on a somewhat older (Geforce3 ti-500) system which may be causing some of the problems. I'll probably hold off on returns till I try it out on my main rig in a few weeks

But...ouch...did I just get kicked in the nuts luckwise on this thing? I thought everything was going to be just since my las LCD was a cheapo (3 years ago) 17" AOpen that worked fine for me despite it's price and obscurity...

sparks said:
Just got mine, still in the box....
couple of questions before I start setup.
What settings is everyone using, is the blue tint on white something the settings take care of?

Atar3on posted 4:3 pics and said drivers (Nvidia) I have an ati1800xt do the drivers 6.12 support this feature?

YEP get an 8800GTX (I WISH) first one below $500 I am in LOL

Does the Samsung CD setup need to be used?

Thanks big time for info

Sparks,

Not sure about ATI drivers supporting pixel scaling of any kind, it's been a while since I last had an ATI card (9800 Pro). But as I stated previously it does work perfectly fine with nVidia and offers a number of scaling options in the display settings.

Originally Posted by KDK
I built a Windows XP Media Center 2005 a few years back and I was wondering if anyone has tried watching TV on this monitor. If so, what do you think? Has anyone tried to hook the Samsung 225BW to a HDTV cable box yet? If so, how does this monitor look watching HDTV? Thanks for any input that anyone would have on this. I just ordered a Gateway FPD2485W monitor, but after reviewing the thread on the Gateway, I am thinking about taking it back as soon as I get it and purchase the smaller Samsung instead.

KDK,

I have recently done just such a thing. Originally I had my Xbox 360 connected to the VGA and my PC connected to the DVI on the 225, but was trying to figure out how best to connect my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD/DVR which has an HDMI port. Well, since the 225 only has 1 VGA and 1 DVI I had to be a little creative.

What I ended up doing was to buy an HDMI/DVI switcher, an extra DVI cable, and a DVI to HDMI cable. The PC is now connected via DVI to the switcher in port 1 (DVI in) while the SA8300 is connected via the DVI to HDMI in port 2 (DVI in) and a DVI cable via DVI out from the switcher connects to the 225. I can thus switch between the 360, my PC, and the cable box. With this setup it works flawlessly.

The only downside is that since the connection is all digital now that I can see the compression artifacts that are inherent in cable programming because it's compressed on the other end before it gets to the TVs on our end. With SD displays where such clarity of image isn't going to make such things stand out, it's rarely an issue for most people, but with a pure digital display (especially something like a PC monitor), it's even more apparent. So if you hope to connect the 225 in such a way and expect a DLP-like picture, think again. In fact, for most SD programming I still prefer to watch it on my DLP set in the other room, or for that matter my old 27" Sony Trinitron. But even so, I do watch SD programming on the 225. I just don't set the image to stretch or zoom and leave it set to 4:3 which helps to lessen the compression artifacts. That aside, HD programming is another story and is a pleasure to watch.

One last thing, if you opt to do what I have and connect your cable box to the 225, then be sure to set your cable box to 720p as the 225 doesn't support 1080i or p and will give you an out of range message.

Anyway, if you would like for me to post some pics of it with TV programs displayed, then let me know.

hey any of you guys try running your Monitor at 75 on native res. I know its suppose to be 60hz just curious if anyone as tried it higher. I ran it at that for about 10mins or so no problems, but when back to 60. until I get more feedback

My last nVidia driver allowed me to run it at 70Hz, but I just updated them last night to the most current and found that it will not allow me to run it at anything other than 60Hz. I suppose if you go into the Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates options and then Advanced Timing in the display settings then you might be able to bypass that.

Got mine finally. it'd been under the tree for far too long. :p

I'm happy with it. BF2 and Company of Heroes look great on it. I think I'd probably have to a bit more money to get something I like better. PQ isn't as good as my 20wmgx2, but that's a hard one to compare to. The Sammy is replacing a Dell 1905. I think the Dell had better color reproduction, but it was also a better panel.

ARG! I'm sure (pray) it's not the 225bw but hopefully someone has seen this.

At 1680x1050 with nvidia 6xxx based cards I occasionally get "black-outs" and see "flickering" with very thin dotted lines (such as when you use Firefox, Google, and select a result. The outline box on your selection flicker).

This is all at the Desktop and doesn't seem to affect games or other full screen apps.

I have the Samsung monitor driver loaded and using DVI.
Tried three different nvidia cards, drivers, and a different cable.

The blackouts are rare and seem to be an "out of range" situation. I don't get a message on the monitor, but can see an occasional flash of the desktop. Still trying to get a method to reproduce it.

I suspect the monitor is being driven just a tad hot (i.e. at it's top range) with these cards and not sure how to correct it. Lower resolution seems fine but defeats the point of having this nice monitor.

Any ideas?

Sounds weird.

I have 7800GT and run everything at 1680x1050 @ 60 hz (which I don't think matters any) and never have any visual anomolies.

Something sounds wrong with monitor if same thing happened on more than 1 vid card and cable.

scottz said:
ARG! I'm sure (pray) it's not the 225bw but hopefully someone has seen this.

At 1680x1050 with nvidia 6xxx based cards I occasionally get "black-outs" and see "flickering" with very thin dotted lines (such as when you use Firefox, Google, and select a result. The outline box on your selection flicker).

This is all at the Desktop and doesn't seem to affect games or other full screen apps.

I have the Samsung monitor driver loaded and using DVI.
Tried three different nvidia cards, drivers, and a different cable.

The blackouts are rare and seem to be an "out of range" situation. I don't get a message on the monitor, but can see an occasional flash of the desktop. Still trying to get a method to reproduce it.

I suspect the monitor is being driven just a tad hot (i.e. at it's top range) with these cards and not sure how to correct it. Lower resolution seems fine but defeats the point of having this nice monitor.

Any ideas?

I had my previous Viewsonic 2235 do the "black-out" thing (kinda like a resolution change) , but for no reason at all (at very random times) and it was NOT my v/card/settings/drivers , etc. I returned the Viewsonic and now have the Sammy 2225bw (for about 6 weeks) and still have the same v/card/settings/drivers and such and have yet to experience any of the "black-out" stuff with the 225bw .
It just maybe your monitor , but its hard to say when things like that occur so randomly .

I tried a few minor tweaks without success.
Changing GPU/Mem clocks, manual refresh rates, and full DVI-D cable.

I hooked up my old DELL 2000FP at 1600x1200 DVI and it does the same thing with some flicker on thin dotted lines. I guess that proves it's the cards (they are eVGA 6200LE, XFX 6600GT PCIe, and a XFX 6600GT AGP).

I tried a PNY 6800GT AGP card and it looks like it's ok.
Unfortunately I need a PCIe one on this system.

I'm guessing the other PCIe cards I have could be tweaked by manually setting the clocking, but need to dig up the specific timing specs on the 225bw.

At this stage, I'm not sure I want to go that route anyway.

Any recommendations for a low to medium range PCIe card (ATI or Nvidia) that works great with this monitor is appreciated.

Thanks.

I got this monitor a week ago and here is my result:
exchanged twice... :mad:
First time, the monitor keep flickering until it boost into Windows (imagine if I have to do something in DOS...) and the auto switch between analog and digital is not working very well (it keep switching between these 2 modes even one of them is receiving signals).

Second time, dead pixels...

This time (I don't gonna waste anymore time of this)
random flashing of green and red pixels, but I think I fix it by re-installing all the related drivers and uninstalled samsung tuning softwares.

ah yes and the light from the "ON" button flashing at night is annoying in my room.

I got PO'd with the DVI on the XFX 6600GT and replaced it. Had tried more than a few tweaks and powerstrip settings without luck. No newer BIOS's for the card (or other brands) exist either.

Considering it was exhibiting similar issues with my DELL 2000FP I didn't think it was the 225bw's fault. The card just didn't seem to want to generate proper DVI timing at 1680x1050.

I got an ATI x1300 and everything works great.

This includes installing windows from scratch (which didn't go to well with the 6600GT - as soon as the nvidia driver loaded, the 225bw screen would blank out. Hooking up analog and changing resolution fixed that).

I went with ATI after doing some research on DVI problems with Flat Panels. Not that ATI doesn't have it's share of problems but they do have some Alternate and Reduced DVI timing options. The options have helped some and thought would come in handy just in case the same issues showed up. I'm a long time nvidia user and just thought I'd try something different.

Fortunately everything went smooth and none of the problems I mentioned prior are happening.

Should explain that this system is for general work, browsing, and movies. I really didn't want a high-end card to make toast for it. Have a separate gaming rig for that.

Since the 6600GT is over a year old (and can't replace it), I moved it to yet another system with a Samsung 940BW. Since it runs at a lower resolution it works fine there.

Bottom line, if your having problems with the 225bw consider your graphics card as well.

weird

the colours on your screen looks so much better than my 225BW

question

did you guys install the samsung software on computer?

you guys have sharpness maxed?
magic colour on full? off? intelligent?
colour tone on normal war or cool?
gamma mode on mode 1 2 or 3?

i can't seem to get colours like you guys post.

Back to the refresh Rate on this monitor. I just installed the Driver Cd on Vista RC2, and it shows that I can use 75hz without me having to unheck hide modes this monitor can't support. But in XP it only 60hz until I uncheck. is anyone running this at 75hz.

Makaveli@BETA said:
Back to the refresh Rate on this monitor. I just installed the Driver Cd on Vista RC2, and it shows that I can use 75hz without me having to unheck hide modes this monitor can't support. But in XP it only 60hz until I uncheck. is anyone running this at 75hz.

75hz is available at 1280X1024 or less . At the native res , 60hz only .

Well after trying around 8 differentLCD's ranging from 19" to 24", I think I found the one I'm going to stay with. For $350 I don't think this monitor can be beat from a price/performance ratio. Let me add that Samsung from boxing to the software provided to the actual product is a first rate product. Also from reading this thread it sounds like they stand by their product through customer support.

Anyways, if anyone reads this and just can't justify spending the money on buggy 24"s or are just not settled on a smaller model with a better screen, try out the Samsung. Very nice product overall.

Here's a couple of pictures I just took while being upconverted to 720 throught the 360. I do have a bit of backbleed at the bottom but by far and large the least amount I have seen on a 22" and it evenly disbursted. Hardley noticable.

img0596bg7.jpg

img0597zu2.jpg

Well here we go. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.. Really loud....What a shame, I really liked this monitor.

WTF is up with these monitors from all brands...$300-$1000 and they're plagued with problems.

Weird, like so many others it's linked the the Brightness.. 85 and below it buzzes, 85 and above it doesn't. Unfortunally for me anything above 70 is eye burning. I have it currently set to level 55 for comfort which is really loud. Lower you go the louder it gets.

Back