Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22"

KDK,

I have recently done just such a thing. Originally I had my Xbox 360 connected to the VGA and my PC connected to the DVI on the 225, but was trying to figure out how best to connect my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD/DVR which has an HDMI port. Well, since the 225 only has 1 VGA and 1 DVI I had to be a little creative.

What I ended up doing was to buy an HDMI/DVI switcher, an extra DVI cable, and a DVI to HDMI cable. The PC is now connected via DVI to the switcher in port 1 (DVI in) while the SA8300 is connected via the DVI to HDMI in port 2 (DVI in) and a DVI cable via DVI out from the switcher connects to the 225. I can thus switch between the 360, my PC, and the cable box. With this setup it works flawlessly.

The only downside is that since the connection is all digital now that I can see the compression artifacts that are inherent in cable programming because it's compressed on the other end before it gets to the TVs on our end. With SD displays where such clarity of image isn't going to make such things stand out, it's rarely an issue for most people, but with a pure digital display (especially something like a PC monitor), it's even more apparent. So if you hope to connect the 225 in such a way and expect a DLP-like picture, think again. In fact, for most SD programming I still prefer to watch it on my DLP set in the other room, or for that matter my old 27" Sony Trinitron. But even so, I do watch SD programming on the 225. I just don't set the image to stretch or zoom and leave it set to 4:3 which helps to lessen the compression artifacts. That aside, HD programming is another story and is a pleasure to watch.

One last thing, if you opt to do what I have and connect your cable box to the 225, then be sure to set your cable box to 720p as the 225 doesn't support 1080i or p and will give you an out of range message.

Anyway, if you would like for me to post some pics of it with TV programs displayed, then let me know.

Atar3on, do you happen to have step-by-step list on what you did? I'm trying to connect my Scientific Atlanta 8000HD/DVR which has an DVI port, and tried 1080i and 720p but keep getting "out of sync" (Or maybe I didn't get it set to 720p). I have my SDTV connected by coax, using it to setup the DVR while there's no display on the 225, but I just get a blank screen on both. I've got the cable guy coming out tomorrow to help, but maybe you can help me if I missed something - thx

Do you guys still need a pic of this monitor? I got 2 205bw's, and one 225BW. I wish I just had a LN-S4096D........

Sorry I didn't catch your post until just now. But sure, I'll post more specific directions and might even include a picture or 2 when I get a chance. Hopefully by or before the weekend.

There is one thing I do want to mention though which didn't make it self immediately apparent when I hooked it all up. When I'm watching TV using the cable box and switch over to the PC signal using the switch box Windows doesn't always see this action which means it won’t always sync up. The end result is I get a black screen about 10-20% of the time and have to reboot with the PC as the active source on the switch box to get a picture. A bit annoying, but I've learned to live with it (for now).

It might be because the switch box is mechanical which literally cuts off the signal when I switch between sources. That being the case, a digital switch box might do the trick, but since I don’t have one I can’t be sure. Anyway, just thought I'd give you that little heads up.

I am very close to buying a 225 BW, what I want to know for sure is: Can I use the Ati Catalyst driver to adjust the screen to 1:1 resolution?
I am running an Asus X1600 card.

I am very close to buying a 225 BW, what I want to know for sure is: Can I use the Ati Catalyst driver to adjust the screen to 1:1 resolution?
I am running an Asus X1600 card.

Right now it is better to buy 226BW than 225BW, overall better monitor and cheaper, only the height adjustment isn't there :(.

It seems like a good idea with a 226BW. But my problem about 1:1 resolution is still the same.

Not sure about the ATi drivers, but nVidia can do it. If you do a search on the other threads i think you will find your answer.

Many of the hd-dvd players I see out now seem to have a problem outputting in 720p format. If I had an hd-dvd player and had it set to 1080i or 1080p would the monitor downscale it to the 1680X1050 res? Would it just not take it at all?

Also anyone who is not running magicolor on this monitor I suggest to do so. I have it on intelligent and it makes the colors so much more vivid.

on my 3rd 225 so far

The first one i picked up the other day was actually pretty good, except for a 2 dead pixels. im really picky though, so i went and exchanged it. the replacement had a good dozen or so bad pixels, and a wierd patch in the middle of the screen that was lighter than everything else.

i exchanged it again yesterday, now this 3rd screen has zero pixel problems, but bad backlight bleed along the whole bottom of the screen which the other 2 did not.

think i should i keep it and just ignore the glowing or exchange it for the 3rd time?

i wish now that i had just kept the first one. only 2 pixels bad and they were right at the left edge.

IMG_1787.jpg

think it's bad, or am i just being picky?

edit: heres another pic that better shows how i see it

IMG_1793.jpg

ive owned this monitor for a few months and am very happy with it. But can i play a nintendo wii on this monitor? i know i'll need a vga box as the signal from the wii isnt compatible with the monitor but is the monitor capable of displaying 480p? Id like to hook it up to the wii via component, if not can it support 480i and i'll do it with composite? Cheers

Back