Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD

I had considered the BenQ 22" because the price is right AND it's 16:9 instead of 16:10 which would mean no stretching. BUT, one of the big selling points for me when it came to the Sceptre was the 1:1 scaling so that everything would fit as intended. It's got to still be available elsewhere, it's just a matter of finding an e-tailer that has them. Hopefully someone will respond to my cries for help. :)

i did a google search and a few store links came up dead or the product was no longer avalible .

So i dunno whats going on

Look at price grabber
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_noresults.php?form_keyword=Sceptre+x22wg

it has a line through the product name

Whats interesting is this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

it still shows up when you do a search for wide screen 22inch lcd monitors . It has a eta of 11-14 for restock. However clicking it or doing auto notify or anything else results in getting a page saying no record

I just found out u can still view the pics

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...5ms(GTG)+Widescreen+HDMI+LCD+Monitor+-+Retail

I checked out the link, but it's not listed like you said (scratches head in confusion). :confused:

CoastalEddy said:
The Samsung 225bw is just one of many new 22" LCD Monitors out or soon to come (see list below). As far as I can tell, these are all based on the same 22" TN panels made by CMO, although competitors Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT), Beijing BOE Optoelectronics Technology (BOE OT), and even LG-Philips are gearing up to ship 22" panels in early 2007. They all see it as a very hot market.

- Acer AL2216Wbd (widely available and now on clearance - has no HDCP support)
- ASUS (Asustek) MW221U (available soon)
- BenQ FP222W (available now at Newegg and also Compsource.com)
- Chi Mei 221D (available at Newegg)
- Dell 22" (Rumored for early 2007...no name or price yet)
- Gateway FPD2275W (available soon: w/4 USB, DVI, VGA, S-Video, PIP, Nice Stand)
- Hannstar 22" (Rumored only...may be available early 2007)
- KDS K-22MDWB (available now)
- MAG WB22D (available soon, w/ beefy stand)
- MAG WB22TD (available soon, same model w/ cheap plastic stand)
- Meiji JT229ZP (available early 2007, has 2 DVI ports)
- Mirai DML-522W100 (now available in Europe)
- Samsung 225BW (widely available)
- Sceptre x22wg (available now at Newegg, and soon again at Costco )
- Viewsonic VX2235wm (widely available, including just about any Costco warehouse)
- Viewsonic VG2230wm (available now...it's a VX2235wm w/ better stand)
- Viewsonic VX2245wm (available at year's end w/ Ipod dock, 8-in-1 card reader, 4 USB ports)
- Westinghouse LCM-22W2 (available only at Best Buy for $500)

Interestingly, with all of these 22-inchers coming, the Sceptre x22wg will still be the only one with a HDMI port. That means it has 3 graphic inputs: VGA, DVI and HDMI. The monitor supposedly has higher contrast than the rest, too. If you are a gamer you will love it. I own the Sceptre and just ordered a second one. If you want a no-dead-pixel policy then Costco is your best option. You can take any monitor they sell back for a full refund - even the shipping cost if you bought it from them online. They have been selling the Viewsonic VX2235wm in their stores and the Sceptre x22wg online. (They are currently out of stock on the Sceptres, although they promise to get new stock shortly.) The Samsung 225BW is nice, especially because of the adjustable stand. I added an even nicer monitor stand called the Neo-Flex by Ergotron to my Sceptre. They are on clearance for under $50 at Staples, CompUSA and elsewhere. (See my earlier posts on FatWallet for easy mounting.) BTW, the thin black bezels on the Samsungs and Sceptres are nearly identical IMO.

Thank You! You just made my shopping hella easier! :)

CoastalEddy said:
I added a nice monitor stand called the Neo-Flex by Ergotron to my Sceptre. They are on clearance for under $50 at Staples, CompUSA and elsewhere. (See my earlier posts on FatWallet for easy mounting.) It's even beefier than the Samsung's and you can pivot the screen, too! :)

I saw those at my local CompU"SLAVE" and Staples, might just pick that up then, I really don't like the stand its on.

gljvd said:
Sceptre x22wg-Gamer...yea its gone. I was wondering what happened.
A similar thing happened on Costco's site during Sceptre's Oct 13th thru 29th product launch. Annoyingly it disappeared and reappeared repeatedly!
(You can follow the thread here and read it for yourself: FatWallet Link.) This 22" unit has been out in Asia since mid-September and is still selling strong from retailers in Taiwan, Hongkong, etc. I would really be surprised if it disappeared. I do remember reading posts on Chinese sites in early October and buyers saying they were hard to find. Sceptre may just be having trouble keeping up with the demand for this model. You might want to contact them and ask "wassup". Their U.S. office is located in the City of Industry, California, right outside L.A. Here's Sceptre's e-mail address. They have responded to me before - it's how I knew about the Costco launch 10 days ahead of time.

yea if this does 1:1 pixel maping it be perfect with my x1900 and my x360. I'm going to see what they have to say

You might want to contact them and ask "wassup". Their U.S. office is located in the City of Industry, California, right outside L.A. Here's Sceptre's e-mail address. They have responded to me before - it's how I knew about the Costco launch 10 days ahead of time.

Already beat you to the punch. :) I e-mailed them earlier today, so hopefully we'll hear back from them soon with an answer.

Based on the fact that this monitor is still new on the market, I'd also be surprised if they pulled it off Newegg's site for good. Is strange that you can't find it anywhere on the net though.

So are these panels 8-bit or 6-bit color? All of those monitors listed above seem to have different specs listed for color, either 16.2 or 16.7, even though they're the same panel...

I'm just copying/pasting this from another my thread at the awful forums:

I bought it off newegg for $350, plus $15 shipping, -$20 mail-in rebate. Weirdly enough, newegg didn't include a printed shipping invoice (which is required) with the monitor, so I can't send in for the rebate until someone at customer service tells me what I should do. Currently it's not in stock and the newegg URL doesn't load correctly (I got the last one, suckers!), so here's the main product page: http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x22wg_NagaP.htm

Pertinent info:
  • 22" panel - probably using the same Chi Mei panel that all the other 22" LCDs are using (I'm not curious enough to crack it open). So I assume that means a TN 6-bit panel with FRC to achieve the advertised 16.7 million colors. I didn't notice any dithering patterns or terrible banding, so whatever they're doing must be working. Again - colors look just as good as any CRT or 8-bit LCD panel I've seen.
  • VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs. HDCP is supported on both the HDMI and DVI inputs, as noted here and on another page further in the manual. All three inputs can be plugged in and switched.
  • tiny speakers and a USB2.0 hub. I couldn't get the USB hub to be work in WinXP; I kept getting the "USB device not recognized" error message. I didn't bother testing the speakers, but the monitor does have microphone and headphone jacks - if you're a VOIP junkie that might appeal to you. If the USB functionality is a deal maker-or-breaker for you, then you might want to contact Sceptre beforehand to see if there's a particular process for getting the USB hub working. It would've been nice to plug my mouse into the monitor so it doesn't get tangled in the rats nest under my desk, but I've got ports on the front of my computer case so I don't care overmuch.
  • clean style - Basically, you couldn't really tell it apart from a Dell, aside from the cheap stand. The buttons are hidden on the back along the ride side of the monitor, and the power LED is a nice subdued blue; it doesn't have any crazy molding or flash protruding from it. The stand is where they really skimped - it tilts about 10 degrees backward (but not forward), and that's it. The vertical viewing area is pretty small, so if you're not already sitting level to your monitor you might want to test this one out at a store.

My comparison monitor is a 21" Mitsubishi 2020U CRT; as far as I'm concerned, it's about as good a benchmark CRT as a college student can get. Both displays were driven by a XFX Geforce 7600GT; no display signal issues to note. I took photos with my Nikon D50 and a 50mm f1.8 lens, but since I was basically playing with the settings as I went, the colors and contrast are all over the place.

DSC_0004.JPG

The box it came in was larger than the 1.8ghz eMachine I'd gotten from my friend.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Compared to the Mitsubishi, the horizontal viewable area on the LCD is larger (obviously). The CRT is taller and deeper, by an incredible amount - now that I've ditched the CRT it's like I've bought a new table to work on. The viewing area on both displays can only be described as hugegantic - I included the DVD case for Xenosaga III and my SD card for size reference. At any rate, the LCD definitely wins on the weight issue - I nearly threw out my back carrying the CRT from my car to my room.

DSC_0014.JPG

cable management is very basic - a notched rubber loop. I ended up not using it at all.

DSC_0016.JPG

the LCD has matte coating.

DSC_0055.JPG

ah, backlight bleeding. This shot is closest to what I was seeing; the bleeding isn't terrible, but it is definitely noticeable, especially on 16:9 content. For <$400 I'm willing to forgive this, but that's just me.

DSC_0069.JPG

This picture makes them look fairly close in contrast levels, but there's really no contest. Compared to the LCD it looked like someone had screwed with my brightness settings on my CRT.

DSC_0088.JPG

Colors are off since I couldn't really get a good shot with my camera, but Dream Aquarium looks fantastic on this monitor.

the h264 trailer for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - you can grab it from www.gametrailers.com
DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0215.JPG

It looked good - I didn't see any artifacts that weren't part of the compression.

the White Knight PS3 teaser:
DSC_0225.JPG

(backlight bleeding!)
DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG

Again, I couldn't quite get a good setting that'd show the shadow detail without blowing out the highlights, but the video looked awesome. Black levels were a bit off due to the backlight bleeding, but the action was quick enough and the fireballs bright enough that it didn't really matter to me.

FFXIII trailer:
DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0322.JPG

again, no artifacts that weren't already part of the encoding.

Assassin's Creed trailer:
DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

Looked as good as the screenshots from the feature article in Game Informer.

Step into Liquid 1080p:
DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

The video playback was sharp enough that I could see how terrible the surfer's skin was - hellooo blackheads! Also, I could see the film grain from the IMAX transfer.

Gears of War trailer:
DSC_0508.JPG

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0524.JPG

I could see what looked like ghosting in these shots, but when I was watching the video it looked smooth as butter - I'm thinking this might be a motion blur effect from the Unreal engine, or a result of the WMV encoding. Whatever.

Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle 2006:
DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

DSC_0563.JPG

DSC_0564.JPG

DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

Maybe someone knows how this was animated, 'cause I don't. If it was hand-animated then that might be ghosting I captured with the camera, but if it was some one-off graphics engine whipped up for the art project I don't know what the fuck.

an Xvid rip of Before Sunset:
DSC_0616.JPG

Looked great, until I noticed the Xvid compression artifacts :(

Monitor test patterns:
DSC_0628.JPG

didn't notice any banding.

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

no dead pixels!

Knights of the Old Republic, patched with UniWS:
DSC_0674.JPG

looks sweet, plays fine at 1680x1050. If you spin the camera around your character you can induce some serious ghosting, but it spins so fast I'd get dizzy even on a CRT. So, moot point.

Battlefield 2:
haha I have no pictures because BF2 decided to start crashing as soon as I connected to the master server. Thanks DICE!

Jagged Alliance 2, with the v113 community patch/conversion, running at 1024x768:
DSC_0675.JPG

Looks great, the monitor lets you choose whether you want 1:1 pixel mapping...

DSC_0676.JPG

...or stretching to fit the aspect ratio. The upscaling looks all right - definitely not as bad as my old IBM Thinkpad T23, and it's perfectly usable.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic:
DSC_0705.JPG

The Source engine allows me to look at rendered boobies in widescreen glory.

So, basically, the best monitor I've used - a title previously held by my Mitsubishi 2020u. Sure, the black levels aren't great, but overall the image quality beats the pants off my CRT. It's actually better for image editing for me, because the old monitor wasn't showing all the digital noise from the pictures I'd taken at ISO1600.

Plus, it doesn't make me worried that my desk will suddenly cave in.

Atar3on said:
Based on the fact that this Sceptre monitor is still new on the market, I'd also be surprised if they pulled it off Newegg's site for good. Is strange that you can't find it anywhere on the net though.
If you want to order one from Hong Kong there are plenty of sites - but I'm not that brave. Newegg's Notify Link for the Sceptre is now working again. It is also available at IX Computer out of San Clemente, CA as an add-on to custom PC orders. Another thought: Target stores, ChiefValue.com, TigerDirect.com, and eWiz.com all carry other monitors from Sceptre...maybe we will see them there before Christmas, too.

YES!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you for the linkage. :)

Now I must wait patiently (yeah right) and try not to fly through Gears of War and see if I can hold off just long enough until I get this monitor...right, like that's going to happen.

BTW - the pics are good, thanks for posting them. I must admit though that while the images look great, I am a bit surprised that I'm seeing bleeding when the images are full screen (top of KOTOR screenie for example). I'm new to LCD, but I wouldn't expect the bleeding to be as obvious unless the scene were real dark and that part of the screen in KOTOR while dark, isn't that dark.

Anyway, as for Gears of War causing ghosting, can't be 100% sure that it's not your monitor, but I do know from experience that Gears uses motion blur whenever you turn which does look like ghosting so you're probably just seeing that.

Brad,

Yes, it does.

Hey, does anyone know anything about the Gateway FPD2185W by chance? It's a 21" that appears to be a pretty good deal with solid features and looks slick as well.

RangerXML said:
On a note that neoflex thing is $49.99 at staples and $39.99 at compuslave, staples was nice enough to sell it to me at the comp price. And yes it works great, better then the stand it comes with. http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...All&product_code=333818&Pn=Neo_Flex_LCD_Stand
Thanks for the CompUSA link and $39.99 price-match idea. Staples currently has these Neo-Flex Stands on close-out again for $29.99. In many of their stores they were jacked up to $49.99 after all of us new Sceptre-owners made a run on them. (The Neo-Flex stand is awesome and originally sold for $79.99...so these are all good prices, I suppose.) If the shelf price in your local Staples location still says $49.99, show them a printout of the online price because they will have to give it to you for that. Once attached, the Neo-Flex looks like it was made for the Sceptre....
Neo-FlexBackside.jpg

:D By the way, when I bought mine I didn't know that it also pivots 90 degrees!
What a bonus! And with the new NVIDIA driver download, I can now switch screen modes with just a couple of mouse clicks. Very cool....
AnnaK-12.jpg

Yeah, I know where your coming from with the 90 degree thing, originally wanted to get the new Samsung because of that. I got one up too, but I don't think its ok to post in public

tu2thepoo said:
DSC_0069.JPG

This picture makes them look fairly close in contrast levels, but there's really no contest. Compared to the LCD it looked like someone had screwed with my brightness settings on my CRT.

Wow, are you serious? Your CRT blows your LCD away in this picture.

Yeah, I see what you mean about his comparison. The CRT has deeper more rich colors while the Sceptre appears to be more sharp, but colors are subdued. I suppose with some tinkering you could get the colors to where you'd what them to be. However, since I plan to use this for my 360 I wont have any other color adjustments to tinker with accept for those available on the monitor itself.

Oh and BTW, count me among those who picked up the NeoFlex stand. Grabbed it today on my way into work at the Staples near by. Got it for $29.99 and totally worth it. Now it's just a matter of Newegg getting more Sceptres in stock so that I'll have a monitor to attach it to. :D

I received mine last week to replace my viewsonic VX2235W, but I am think to return it now because it is too blue!! I tried very hard to like it, but the color is just awful - the Safary menu bar is in blue as opposed to grey.

The monitor is driven by a Intel Macbook and I am using the default color profile by Mac OS. I tried a couple of days to adjust it but couldn't get the color I want.

Any Intel Macbook user outside that can comment? Really appreciate it.

pattonkn said:
but I am think to return it now because it is too blue!! I am using the default color profile by Mac OS.
Few owners are lucky enough to have good default color settings. Your Mac may have made them worse if the OS doesn't recognize the Sceptre. Have you gone to the Sceptre website? Their support page has answers to Mac questions here: Sceptre FAQ Page. The Sceptre website also has an LCD driver for FireFox users on their Support Page.

If nothing works, go to the Sceptre's PICTURE menu and adjust the B GAIN down. You may also need to adjust the COLOR TEMP and R GAIN or G GAIN a little, too.

Thanks for the reply.

Intel Macbook (tiger) does regonize x22wg-Gamer and has a color profile just for that. This is what I am using. I have also adjust the B-gain to the lowest, still it is too blue.

I guess I might just have a defect here. :(

CoastalEddy said:
Few owners are lucky enough to have good default color settings. Your Mac may have made them worse if the OS doesn't recognize the Sceptre. Have you gone to the Sceptre website? Their support page has answers to Mac questions here: Sceptre FAQ Page. The Sceptre website also has an LCD driver for FireFox users on their Support Page.

If nothing works, go to the Sceptre's PICTURE menu and adjust the B GAIN down. You may also need to adjust the COLOR TEMP and R GAIN or G GAIN a little, too.

pattonkn said:
Thanks for the reply. Intel Macbook (tiger) does regonize x22wg-Gamer and has a color profile just for that. This is what I am using. I have also adjust the B-gain to the lowest, still it is too blue. I guess I might just have a defect here. :(
Yes, maybe. You should get on a few Mac forums, though, to see what Mac owners have to say. (Most posts are from PC owners here, I believe.) Contact Sceptre's support, too. And have you gone to Apple's website to see if any specific questions have come up for widescreen LCDs in use with your model of Macbook? Could be the built-in graphics board has some oddities. BTW, if your LAMP and BLACK LEVEL settings are not right on the Sceptre, your color & temp settings will be effected, too.

pattonkn said:
I received mine last week to replace my viewsonic VX2235W, but I am think to return it now because it is too blue!! I tried very hard to like it, but the color is just awful - the Safary menu bar is in blue as opposed to grey.

The monitor is driven by a Intel Macbook and I am using the default color profile by Mac OS. I tried a couple of days to adjust it but couldn't get the color I want.

Any Intel Macbook user outside that can comment? Really appreciate it.

I do believe this problem could have been due to the more recent update of OSX. check out insanelymac.com or otehr mac blog sites...there was an article not too long ago saying how excessively blue the enw default ICC profiels are.

yup , i'm going to try and go to costco today and see if its there , mabye buy it

Who makes this LCD? I thought it was a standard 22'' inch Chi Mei like the others but Sceptre is saying 1200:1 contrast as oppossed to the 800:1 I have seen for the other Chi Mei panels. If someone could clarify this for me it would appreciated. Also, how does this monitor scale for an Xbox 360? Thanks again

Adm_SkyWalker said:
Does this moniter have a 1:1 aspect ratio setting?
This is my post from another forum on this:

Q: mpjohnst asked: Does that mean 1280x1024 was being shown natively (i.e. could you identify individual pixels there was no blurring)? Was it very crisp text? If it is displaying the signal 1:1, it should have black bars on all four sides, small ones (13 pixels tall) on the top/bottom and larger ones (200 pixels wide) on the sides. When you send a signal through the HDMI or component inputs, it should have thin bars on the top and bottom of the image (don't use a 2.35 aspect ratio movie to test).

A: In DVI or VGA modes you can set the H&V positions, the pixel clock and phase. In "Native" at 1280x1024 it does the 13 and 200 pixel bars as you describe. Text is crisp. There are actually 23 combination settings for resolution and dot clock timing ranging from 640x400 at 21.05 MHz to 1680x1050 at 146.25 MHz with ASPECT settings of "Native" and "Full" for each. Using the HDMI port gives you 10 modes from 720x480i to 1920x1080p and the following FORMAT settings: Auto, 16:9, 4:3, Zoom full, and Zoom subtitle.

the $329 if for members only...its 15% more for non members is that correct?
then $14.95 shipping ground only.

14.95 shipping
=========

if you are not a member there are cheaper places to buy it.
newegg * $359.99 ($339.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) 15.47 shipping

BUT costco has the best return policy in the biz......does it apply to non member purchases as well?

1200 ratio ...well there are ways to report an 800 as a 1200 just takes a different way of measurement....like the 2 ms monitors that are grey to grey....as apposed to 8 ms that is black to black.

I just recently got this Sceptre 22". However, I cannot get it to correctly display 1680x1050 on screen. The screen has to be scrolled for some reason for me to view the rest of the viewing area. I am perplexed. Can anyone provide me with what specific driver and how to configure this correctly in Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

makots said:
I just recently got this Sceptre 22". However, I cannot get it to correctly display 1680x1050 on screen. The screen has to be scrolled for some reason for me to view the rest of the viewing area. I am perplexed. Can anyone provide me with what specific driver and how to configure this correctly in Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Likely this is a graphics card issue. Try downloading the latest driver for your particular card. (I know NVidia just updated theirs and the 22" Sceptre is recognized automatically. I had no such problems thereafter.)

Actually I did that. Download the newest 99.73 driver but it still will not detect the 22 for some reason it only sees the monitor I replaced a Sceptre 9G gamer. Very strange.

Back