Send Sapphire a message

Where's an email for saphire or link to a contact form, so we can email them about 10,000 emails chewing their asses out.

Luckily it looks like most people have corrected their listing on their websites. However, newegg.com still lists the chipset as: 9800PRO
which should be corrected to 9800 or 9800SE or somethign besides PRO

chrisf6969 said:
Where's an email for saphire or link to a contact form, so we can email them about 10,000 emails chewing their asses out.

Luckily it looks like most people have corrected their listing on their websites. However, newegg.com still lists the chipset as: 9800PRO
which should be corrected to 9800 or 9800SE or somethign besides PRO

Why? The chipset is a 9800PRO. . .

That's almost irrelevant, unless you really are hardware literate and just "got ripped off". Most people that would buy a 128 bit unknowingly are not going to go anywhere near softmodding, trust me. :rolleyes:

I "felt" a bit mislead, and thankfully my they say the are going to refund me for my purchase and no restocking fee, they did admit that the were pointing to another page that was different than what they are selling. As stated the order page is now plasterd with 128bit memory everywhere. I have the number to the region distrobution center of sapphire and they know about it. They told me that they are telling the Sellers this info but some aren't putting it forth or are just ignoring them.

Helmut said:
Why? The chipset is a 9800PRO. . .

Its not a 9800pro. Its clocked like the non-pro, and if you try clock it to 9800 pro speeds, it freezes on you since the ram cant handle it. Yes, its got a R360 (Chip on the 9800XT, that got dropped down other newer 9800's), but the name of a card is not defined by its core only. If so, the GF2MX's could all be GTSs, the 9500 a 9700, even going back to the TNT2 M64. Historically, its always gotten a different name in changes to the memory bus or number of pipelines.

Yea I got bit too, and you could call me a vet. Ive building systems for 5 years. Ive been out of the tech loop for a year, or so. Knowing how I havent researched a card since my Ti4400 (it just died due to fan failure. I went back to my GTS for the interim), I went out and did alot of research. I did about two weeks of research before I bought this card. When I saw it, there was only about a $20 discount from non sapphire cards, so it didnt seem too obvious to me that this was so crippled. I just thought I was getting a good deal on a 9800 pro. Also there was absolutely nothing on the net indicating the existence of a 128-bit version of it at the time, so I didnt look for the "128-bit" monkier. Its after the fact now, and its pretty well known now and googleable, but not at that time, about a month ago.

I thought my card was a little slow when I got it, so I took out my Radclocker, and realized the default core/mem speed wasnt like that of a 9800Pro. Then I google specifically for sapphire 9800pro with my core/mem speeds, and got a link to the sapphire forums, which was my first indication that the 9800pro I got was a 128bit card, even more crippled than I thought.

Just to show you, its not only the ignorant mainstream that got shafted. Im trying to get the card RMAed as we speak, and Im willing to take the 15% restocking hit to get this thing out of my hands. Even after the 15% hit, I can still get a card that performs better, and still have money left over.

Sorry to bring this back from almost dropping from the first page, but I wanted to offer my side.

I talked to the purchasing company (allstarshop in my case) and sice I had the card for less than 1 business day when I found out I should get a full return (they'll discount if they say the box or materials aren't in like new condition but Everything is fine) So I'm stuck here without My laptop (non 3d gaming anyway) and an old Rage IIc for a while heh.

I think that sapphire is making good to try and stay well in the consumers eyes. I believe that this was a whole miss-understanding or move made by retailers that either didn't understand/care or tried to capatilize on this and I believe that this new move should put a stop to that.

bigstusexy said:
I talked to the purchasing company (allstarshop in my case) and sice I had the card for less than 1 business day when I found out I should get a full return (they'll discount if they say the box or materials aren't in like new condition but Everything is fine) So I'm stuck here without My laptop (non 3d gaming anyway) and an old Rage IIc for a while heh.

I think that sapphire is making good to try and stay well in the consumers eyes. I believe that this was a whole miss-understanding or move made by retailers that either didn't understand/care or tried to capatilize on this and I believe that this new move should put a stop to that.

They have always been a great company. Because people can't seem to read they of course get blamed. :p The below is something else to note....

W1zzard said:
little info for the sapphire bashers .. the 128bit 9800 pro was ati's idea .. sapphire just sold the cards

hello. i bought a sapphire radeon 9800pro back in august when they first came out.

i used rivatuner and it says i have a 256-bit R350 (8x1) with 128MB DDR memory.

is this what i should be getting? is my card affected by whats going on? did i get screwed over and bought a faulty card?

thank you for helping.

Jazzy said:
hello. i bought a sapphire radeon 9800pro back in august when they first came out.

i used rivatuner and it says i have a 256-bit R350 (8x1) with 128MB DDR memory.

is this what i should be getting? is my card affected by whats going on? did i get screwed over and bought a faulty card?

thank you for helping.

You should be fine if this is what it stated when you checked.

little info for the sapphire bashers .. the 128bit 9800 pro was ati's idea .. sapphire just sold the cards

Yeah... and that makes it alright right. Poor little sapphire fell prey to big bad ati`s desire...
:rolleyes: Who's worst the starter or the big moron that follows...

Come on dude, even sapphire said they are sorry for this. I mean, what´s going to take for you to accept this was misleading tactics... (just misleading, not ilegal mind you)

I don't know. .that's why i make a good habbit of looking at the same product on like 5 different sites to see if anything weird is going.. plus.. i mean the 128 bit and 256 bit card are like right next to each other on the new egg site.. i mean wouldn't it seem weird that they have the same card at such different prices? i don't know.. i noticed the 128 thing and i was like "uummmmmmmm that's odd" then i looked into it.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I don't know. .that's why i make a good habbit of looking at the same product on like 5 different sites to see if anything weird is going.. plus.. i mean the 128 bit and 256 bit card are like right next to each other on the new egg site.. i mean wouldn't it seem weird that they have the same card at such different prices? i don't know.. i noticed the 128 thing and i was like "uummmmmmmm that's odd" then i looked into it.

And i dont have anything against informed shopping. I encourage it in fact...

BUT, and a big one...

Informed shopping is though for distinguishing good cost effective products from bad ones, not distinguishing misleading titles...

If someone wants to buy something, yes he or she should inform about what exactly he or she is buying. But that doesnt mean companies have permission to go on freelance and pretty much mislead costumers as they see fit because COSTUMERS SHOULD BE INFORMED....

As i write this, i think i sound like a flamer, but this really pisses me off. I made a lot of efforts to get my 9800pro from sapphire. And though i didnt fell for the 128bit scam, i shiver to think that i could have....

It took me a lot of work because i live outside US and i pretty much bought my computer in parts when i traveled to the US, brought all the parts inside my luggage and built it when i came back to my country.

But anyway, sapphire said they were sorry and ammends are currently underway ($25 more and you a 256bit version). Though i (and perhaps some people around here too...) am going to think twice before buying from sapphire again...

chinoquezada said:
And i dont have anything against informed shopping. I encourage it in fact...

BUT, and a big one...

Informed shopping is though for distinguishing good cost effective products from bad ones, not distinguishing misleading titles...

If someone wants to buy something, yes he or she should inform about what exactly he or she is buying. But that doesnt mean companies have permission to go on freelance and pretty much mislead costumers as they see fit because COSTUMERS SHOULD BE INFORMED....

As i write this, i think i sound like a flamer, but this really pisses me off. I made a lot of efforts to get my 9800pro from sapphire. And though i didnt fell for the 128bit scam, i shiver to think that i could have....

It took me a lot of work because i live outside US and i pretty much bought my computer in parts when i traveled to the US, brought all the parts inside my luggage and built it when i came back to my country.

But anyway, sapphire said they were sorry and ammends are currently underway ($25 more and you a 256bit version). Though i (and perhaps some people around here too...) am going to think twice before buying from sapphire again...

I agree, let it go.....Sapphire screwed up your absolutely right. I don't think they were trying to scam people, they made a marketing mistake. They've apologized.

Every company no matter how good makes dumbass mistakes like this every so often. The important thing is Sapphire apologized and corrected the problem immediately. If your not going to support Sapphire because of this one incident, despite the fact that they have produced quality cards at good prices for years thats your business.

No company is immune to this kind of thing. In fact, its my guess Sapphire will be even MORE careful in the future not to let this sort of thing happen again given the communities outcry over it. Just my 2cents.

Next issue....

Kared

Ok, ok. You are right. Sapphire does have an excellent quality/support history... A mistake is a mistake...

Back