Sent my Sabertooth X58 to ASUS, they offered me a P6X58-E WS. Yay or nay?

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
My X58 saga continues. I sent my Sabertooth X58 back to ASUS due to a defective sound chip (still under warranty). They said that they have to replace the entire mobo, but they don't have any Sabertooth X58 in stock.

They offered me a P6X58-E WS. I am researching old comparisons between these two mobos and I figured I'd ask you guys' opinion as well, since both of these products are now 5-6 years old and you might be able to offer some reliability/support insight that wasn't available back when these two came out and were being compared for the first time.

I really liked my Sabertooth, but I've been without a system for months... would love to know if it's worth waiting longer to get the same mobo back.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Not worth waiting.

And even if you do wait, you are likely to get back a broken board anyway.

If it was me, I would have kept the board and just bought an add-on sound card.

I bought a cheap USB sound card to help with troubleshooting, but frankly I was hoping to receive a working replacement.

BTW... I don't plan on overclocking (yet). Running a Xeon X5675, a couple of SSDs in RAID-0 and planning on picking up a GTX 1070 or RX480 during Black Friday.

I just want to be able to play a game every now and then, nothing fancy (but at the same time, I would prefer not to accept the P6X58-E WS if the Sabertooth was considerably better.

The WS is a better board.

It has dual Intel NICS and the Nvidia NF200 controller which allows you to have up to 3 PCIe slots running at x16 instead of only 2.

The VRM cooler looks to be a lot better as well. Thin fin setup vs huge hunk of metal that isn't going to dissipate heat very well.

The WS board was $300 when it was released. The Sabertooth was about $190 from what I could find.

I had an P6X58-E WS board. Wicked ass board. Overclocked my 920 like a beast and was rock steady stable @ 4.5Ghz. Dual NICS was a plus and the NF200 controller rocked my 470's with ease.

I'd take it as it's a better board overall.

Very encouraging info gentlemen, thank you for your input.
I went ahead and accepted the offer. Hopefully this one works well for me.

Cheers!

Back