Sharp LC-32GP3U review

It's about 13.5".

Thanks for getting back to me so quick :D.

The rear of the monitor stand looks a little narrower than the front in your photos. Would it also be possible for you to give me the width of the stand's rear?

Thanks again.

.... I don't see any shift in colors, or display get darker or lighter, unexpectedly.
The colors, contrast, black level and clarity is pretty good with this unit.
Perhaps, they fixed many of the flaws from the GP1U.
Thanks, that's good news.
It seems to confirm what a tek-savvy guy said in AVS forums.
He said the new 2008 Sharp 32" GP3U has circuits that are very-different from the 2007 Sharp 32" GP1U circuits.
I'll try to give here the "essence" of what he said (any errors are mine not his) .....

The GP3U has all-new hardware inside and faster processors.. The technology being used, is called "HDTV-on-a-Chip" or "System-on-a-Chip".
Sharp has condensed a lot of different circuits into a single Chip.
This reduces lag, and improves the tv's speed and performance.
Colors should be better because they changed both video processing software and hardware.
He said 'personally speaking' he would go for GP3U over GP1U.

To me, his words mean the new GP3U is not a "minor upgrade from GP1U".
(Just my opinion).

I don't know if Sharp use a newer revision of this panel over the GP1U or not. So far, after 3 days of usage, I can't seem to find any flaw with this GP3U. But there is a minor flaw with this panel which is the uniform of a single color across the screen. I did notice the right most and left most of the screen appear slightly darker than the rest the screen. It's barely noticeable, but it is there. Than again, what LCD out there have a perfect uniform of a single color across the screen.
Gaming is probably the highlight of this panel. One thing I am impress with it is the screen tearing. Before, with my HP w2207 (tn panel with fast response time), I have to enable V-sync when I play Bioshock. I just hate screen tearing when I play games. I rather sacrifice performance and no screen tearing. With the GP3U, for some reason the screen tearing is not as bad. I'm actually ok to play Bioshock with V-sync disable.
Perhap the GP3U does implement those new technology you mention below.

Thanks, that's good news.
It seems to confirm what a tek-savvy guy said in AVS forums.
He said the new 2008 Sharp 32" GP3U has circuits that are very-different from the 2007 Sharp 32" GP1U circuits.
I'll try to give here the "essence" of what he said (any errors are mine not his) .....

The GP3U has all-new hardware inside and faster processors.. The technology being used, is called "HDTV-on-a-Chip" or "System-on-a-Chip".
Sharp has condensed a lot of different circuits into a single Chip.
This reduces lag, and improves the tv's speed and performance and colors should be better.
Personally, he would go for the GP3U over the GP1U.

To me, his words mean the new GP3U is not a "minor upgrade from GP1U".
(Just my opinion, could be wrong).

The blue Testing text look perfectly fine on my GP3U. Hope that is what you were asking.

Oh man, if this is true, then I'm so getting this monitor. As much as I love my 32GP1U, dark blue and red text sucks on dark backgrounds.

How does this red text look onthe GP3U?

This is how it looks on my 32GP1U with blue.

My camera actually makes it look better.. The blue is supposed to look darker and barely readable.

I see. Your blue text does looks terrible. The blue on on mine look solid.
I took a picture and upload it to my photobucket. I have to use flash on my digital camera to take the picture. For some reason, if I don't use the flash, the blue text appear greenish on the picture.

Oh man, if this is true, then I'm so getting this monitor. As much as I love my 32GP1U, dark blue and red text sucks on dark backgrounds.

How does this red text look onthe GP3U?

This is how it looks on my 32GP1U with blue.

My camera actually makes it look better.. The blue is supposed to look darker and barely readable.

hum making me jealous for mine to get here faster. I just called JR today and they said they were backed up but would push mine through today..so hopefully if it does ship today or tomorrow. I'm running the same setup as the op so i can't wait to see it.

On a side note what settings did you go with after calibration? Does this have that dynamic contrast I have seen a few people talk about on the 62U and GPU1 model - that gets disabled..?

I hope you also order the HDMI-DVI cable because it doesn't come with it.
Once you're in Windows, make sure you hit the "View" button on the remote and set it to "Dot-to-Dot". Calibration wise, the default setting already good enough for me. I just have to lower the backlight, contrast and brightness just a little. I disable the dynamic contrast thing which called "Active Contrast" on this panel.

hum making me jealous for mine to get here faster. I just called JR today and they said they were backed up but would push mine through today..so hopefully if it does ship today or tomorrow. I'm running the same setup as the op so i can't wait to see it.

On a side note what settings did you go with after calibration? Does this have that dynamic contrast I have seen a few people talk about on the 62U and GPU1 model - that gets disabled..?

I hope you also order the HDMI-DVI cable because it doesn't come with it.
Once you're in Windows, make sure you hit the "View" button on the remote and set it to "Dot-to-Dot". Calibration wise, the default setting already good enough for me. I just have to lower the backlight, contrast and brightness just a little. I disable the dynamic contrast thing which called "Active Contrast" on this panel.

Very good. I did make sure I ordered a cable it was a last minute thought when I was placing it. Have you tried to sort the text issues you were having out?

I don't recall I have any text issues. Maybe you were refering to the person with the GP1U?

Very good. I did make sure I ordered a cable it was a last minute thought when I was placing it. Have you tried to sort the text issues you were having out?

Heya Bigfoot, when you set your resolution to 1920x1080 did you just move the slider all the way over in your display properties?

Text looked that way on my Westinghouse 37w3 when I first got it.

It turns out it was caused because the computer was actually sending a 1080i signal. If you haven't already, try going into your display driver's control panel and going to the HDTV options and setting 1080p as the resolution. On my 8800GTX that fixed the text thing and added a lot of clarity overall.

Heya Bigfoot, when you set your resolution to 1920x1080 did you just move the slider all the way over in your display properties?

It turns out it was caused because the computer was actually sending a 1080i signal. If you haven't already, try going into your display driver's control panel and going to the HDTV options and setting 1080p as the resolution. On my 8800GTX that fixed the text thing and added a lot of clarity overall.

How do I get to this? I went to control panel, display, and looked around but didn't find anything about 1080p. I have a 1950 Pro if that matters.

Bigfoot, I cant see your pic unless I sign up at that damn website. Will you please post a pic here? Thanx.

I .... there is a minor flaw with this panel ..... the right most and left most of the screen appear slightly darker than the rest the screen. It's barely noticeable, but it is there.
Then again, what LCD out there have a perfect uniform of a single color across the screen.,,,,,.
Hm, that's strange. Usually, the complaints against many LCD monitors is... "screen looks slightly LIGHTER at one edge" (Note: its Backlight leakage)
Could u post a pic of a blank screen so I can see what your talking about ? Thanx. I'm close to pulling trigger.

I upload a pic with just a white background to my photobucket. Seem like the outer four corner edge is dimmer compare to the rest of the screen.

Hm, that's strange.
Usually, the complaints against many LCD monitors is... "my screen looks slightly LIGHTER at one edge" (Note: its caused by Backlight leakage)
Could u post a pic of a blank screen, so I can see what your talking about ?
Thanx. I'm close to pulling trigger.

duckymcse

duck is this the "blank white screen" that u uploaded to your Photobucket website?

Yes, there is only 1 white screen picture on my photobucket. That picture is it.

duck is this the "blank white screen" that u uploaded to your Photobucket website?

whiteBG.jpg
[/IMG]

dang, Nothing ! I guess I did it wrong.
I clicked on "insert image" (in box at top of this Post) --and then I "pasted" your image into this Post----and all I get here is that 'BOX'.
What did I do wrong?

OK, I studied your "White Screen" Pic at your Photobucket website. It's not a White screen,
The outside-edges of the screen (top, bottom, sides) are pale, light Blue. As you go towards center of screen, the Blue slowly turns to Dirty White.
Perhaps your GP3U isn't Calibrated properly. Try a new Backlight setting (lower?) it might help, it might not.

zak I don't think you're aware of the limitations of calibrating an LCD... it's not going to make up for deficiencies in backlighting uniformity that's for sure.

I'm using a 8800 GTX and have I have it selected as 1080p. A lot of people have been complaining about this over in at AVS and the thread in this forum. Doesn't seem to be a fix for it.

I pulled trigger at JR.
32" Sharp LC-32GP3U-B ($1249 dlvrd).

I'm using a 8800 GTX and have I have it selected as 1080p. A lot of people have been complaining about this over in at AVS and the thread in this forum. Doesn't seem to be a fix for it.

Well.. phooey. My text looked exactly the same way though and it was because the computer was sending that 1080i signal. Using the nvidia control panel's HDTV settings fixed it.

I guess it's related to the set then. Sorry :(

Nice TV. I'm surprise there was not a release of this TV on the sharp website. I am also curious is to why this model is cheaper or the same price as the last model.

I hope Best Buy or Circuit City start to carry them real soon so I can buy it at the store to save headache if something goes wrong.

I have the same desk but with a hutch and no pull out tray. I really like how the desk is reversible. If only they had another drawer on the other side because my Thermaltake Armor might not fit on the tower tray. Your walls almost look like mine, light blue. You got good taste my friend.

I mention many times before than it's my digital camera that make the picture not shown what exactly being display. It's white and probably the best white you will ever see compare to other LCD. The picture make it looks much worst than it really is. This LCD ain't perfect and the 32" size of display will certain allow you to see much more flaw compare to smaller LCD, but than again what LCD have a perfect uniformity of a single color across the screen. Perhap an LED backlight LCD will help.

OK, I studied your "White Screen" Pic at your Photobucket website. It's not a White screen,
The outside-edges of the screen (top, bottom, sides) are pale, light Blue. As you go towards center of screen, the Blue slowly turns to Dirty White.
Perhaps your GP3U isn't Calibrated properly. Try a new Backlight setting (lower?) it might help, it might not.

it's my digital camera ...... It's white (screen) and probably the best white you will ever see compare to other LCD
Thanks for the good news, cuz I was worried.
btw, my GP3U arrives today.

Received mine yesturday, right now it looks amazing but i'll try to get pictures up within the week, however, pictures don't do monitors this big justice. Its like sitting in front of a damn movie screen! I'm using it as a monitor only with the usual q6600 8800gtx setup. Viewing angles are great all around. Whites have a tint of blue but I haven't really calibrated it at all yet - just played with backlight contrast crap like that.

One thing was odd though I had to stretch the screen in the nvidia control panel to clear up some text/overall picture issues. Just stretch to the edges.. It looked like chit until I did this. I did start calibrating but I don't see gamma controls on the monitor menu itsself unless its in some extended service menu. I could use nvidia's stuff I suppose? I rather do it the right way if there is one that matters. This is the first time I've done this so im a bit of a noob.

Bought mine from JR..btw they are backed up with orders and it took mine 3 business days to ship and it arrived the next day(ups ground). Just an fyi for those looking for it to come quick.

Edit: zero dead pixels

I set my Color Temperature to mid-high to get a good solid white. I think the default is mid. Did you click on View button and set it to Dot-to-Dot? I don't have to do any stretching from the Nvidia Panel. I don't think there is a gamma control. You can however do it from the Nvidia control panel.

Received mine yesturday, right now it looks amazing but i'll try to get pictures up within the week, however, pictures don't do monitors this big justice. Its like sitting in front of a damn movie screen! I'm using it as a monitor only with the usual q6600 8800gtx setup. Viewing angles are great all around. Whites have a tint of blue but I haven't really calibrated it at all yet - just played with backlight contrast crap like that.

One thing was odd though I had to stretch the screen in the nvidia control panel to clear up some text/overall picture issues. Just stretch to the edges.. It looked like chit until I did this. I did start calibrating but I don't see gamma controls on the monitor menu itsself unless its in some extended service menu. I could use nvidia's stuff I suppose? I rather do it the right way if there is one that matters. This is the first time I've done this so im a bit of a noob.

Bought mine from JR..btw they are backed up with orders and it took mine 3 business days to ship and it arrived the next day(ups ground). Just an fyi for those looking for it to come quick.

Edit: zero dead pixels

My GP3U arrived by UPS ---- it set right up fine to 1920x1080 rez @60hz with no problem.
Wow, this TV is so beautiful. I'd like to find 'Dot-by-Dot' option but haven't found it yet.
Perhaps I'm using wrong HDMI input. (I think manual says Dot x Dot is not available on all inputs-----but I may be wrong)

You must run Dot-by-Dot if you want to display correctly. If not your Windows will be stretch and text will looks fuzzy. I think input #4,5 or 6 should have the Dot-by-Dot option.

My GP3U arrived by UPS ---- it set right up fine to 1920x1080 rez @60hz with no problem.
Wow, this TV is so beautiful. I'd like to find 'Dot-by-Dot' option but haven't found it yet.
Perhaps I'm using wrong HDMI input. (I think manual says Dot x Dot is not available on all inputs-----but I may be wrong)

You must run Dot-by-Dot if you want to display correctly. If not your Windows will be stretch and text will looks fuzzy. I think input #4,5 or 6 should have the Dot-by-Dot option.
Thank you for pointing to those three inputs.
I connected PC to HDMI Input# 5 then shut down PC & TV and let them sit a while.
Then fired-up, and hit "View Mode" button on Remote, and "Dot x Dot" was there in the menu.
I clicked on it, and my huge 32" desktop is now a perfect fit------ no more "overscan".

Does this tV have DVI connectors? If so why are you using the HDMI to DVI? I might buy this TV tonight and wanted to know if the HDMI to DVI cable is a must.

Thank you.

It doesn't have DVI connector. You have to buy a HDMI-DVI cable.

Does this tV have DVI connectors? If so why are you using the HDMI to DVI? I might buy this TV tonight and wanted to know if the HDMI to DVI cable is a must.

Thank you.

If it is under 12ft, than any HDMI-DVI cable will be fine. I don't think you will find any different from those $100+ Monster cable vs those $12 cable sold at Monoprice. I'm sure you can guess which cable I am using right now ;)

Thanks.

Will any brand HDMI to DVI cable work or are there some better than others? If so, which ones?

For anyone interested, here is a pdf spec sheet for the LCD.

http://media.shoreviewdistribution.com/pdf/LC32GP3UB.pdf

I also plan to mount this to my wall, do you know how far apart the holes are in the back? Any recommend mounts or one from monoprice will work fine.

I bought the LCD, $1249 shipped. So glad there is free s/h and no sales tax. I usually get screw on taxes since I'm from cali and all the reputable etailers are in cali (newegg, zzf, clubit)

Can someone please post pictures of this tv with various components connected.
Consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) and Pc games. Also after couple days of use ,
do you feel the speaker bar on bottom of this tv is a distraction

Junglicious,
hope you enjoy the set. I like it, but haven't calibrated colors yet, (still looking for an owner to post a list of "color-settings that work for me" ).
"Hole spacings for wall mount"??
I'm sure it must use "VESA certified" hole spacings, all tv mfrs do as far as I know. I saw a nice little wall mount in COSTCO or BJ's store a week ago ("Max TV Size 37"). It had a small Arm & Flex joints-----so TV can swing L, R, and Pivot, and Tilt up-down. I think price was not over 100, maybe less.
If u bot from JR, call them and see if they have one for the GP3U. Also, dont forget JR sells extra warranty for around 100 (I didn't get it, but I might).

LostStorm,
I have no camera, so cant post pics. That 1"-high Soundbar is dull metal silver-grey that matches the 4 Feet that project from the Pedest.
The Pillar and round Pedestal (swivels L-R smoothly) are beautiful glossy Black, same as the TV's frame. The overall effect is real nice effect (in my opinion)

This LCD is make for console gaming. You will not be disappointed for sure. I'm tired of uploading pics because it really don't do this LCD justice based on the pictures I taken.
The speaker doesn't bother me at all. It actually looks nice with the panel. The speaker actually sound quite good, and generate surround sound with decent base.
Sony going to come out a 32" 1080p this summer (KDL-32XBR6) with 120Hz support. Dang, I might upgrade to that if it support the 120Hz for PC.

Can someone please post pictures of this tv with various components connected.
Consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) and Pc games. Also after couple days of use ,
do you feel the speaker bar on bottom of this tv is a distraction

Back