Sharp LC-32GP3U review

This LCD is make for console gaming. You will not be disappointed for sure. I'm tired of uploading pics because it really don't do this LCD justice based on the pictures I taken.
The speaker doesn't bother me at all. It actually looks nice with the panel. The speaker actually sound quite good, and generate surround sound with decent base.
Sony going to come out a 32" 1080p this summer (KDL-32XBR6) with 120Hz support. Dang, I might upgrade to that if it support the 120Hz for PC.

Don't count out panny's new lz800 the successor to the lx700 which was probably the best 32in display except it was only 720p. If the lz800 is 1080p it may be the front runner.

Got link to the lz800 32"?

Don't count out panny's new lz800 the successor to the lx700 which was probably the best 32in display except it was only 720p. If the lz800 is 1080p it may be the front runner.

Thank You (Zak, duckymcse) for the quick reply about sound bar.
Your weicome.

I just now came off playing Oblivion at full 1080P rez, its an intensely " high- quality graphics" Game that pushes PCs to their limits.
The GP3U does more than drawing "real nice Text" in Windows.
It draws Oblivion's gigantic Imperial City superbly, even to tiny details in fortress walls and fast-moving enemies. It Draws, in very sharp-details: ...snow-covered mountains, thunderstorms, sunsets in brilliant colors, starry-night skies.
Also, at 1080P rez the GP3U draws the hot new game Crysis screenshots in awesome detail ....
from tiny details in soldiers weapons and combat armor----to details in eyes, when you get-up-close-----to scary combat-scenes in factory-tunnels, and prowling tanks in jungle-warfare. wow.

SUMMARY:
+++ The GP3U "pic-quality" at 1080P looks so fine I've decided to upgrade twin Nvidia 7900GT vid cards to new ATI 3870's, so I can crank-up a game's "eye candy" even higher
+++ Duckymcse did real fine with the camera he had, and it helped a lot of us including myself. But to survive and grow, this Thread now needs someone with top-quality camera to post more Game pics, etc. Volunteers welcome.
+++ To, whoever is sitting on fence, I dont think you'll go wrong if u give this GP3U a shot. Just buy from vendor (like JR) who has 'Return' policy if u decide its not for u.
+++ For me its been a 10-month journey thru these panels:... 37" Westy ... 32" Sharp D62U ... 40" Tosh RF350U... 37" JVC 688.... finally to 32" Sharp GP3U
Perhaps I've finally found the PC Monitor&Gaming Panel I've been looking for.
Cheers .......

Glad you are enjoying your new screen. If I get a chance I'll take some detail (front/back/left/right/top) pictures of the LCD unit. Hopefully that would help people who are considering the LCD have an idea of its design.

As for taking some photos of the image quality, I'll see what I can do. I used to do a lot of photography so that "might" help.

On a side note, I looked at my status at JR and it is still in "processing" stage. I was hoping it would ship today so It would come by Tues. I don't know if they ship on weekends and if they don't then I might not get it till the end of next week. However, I rather get it in mint condition with 100% functionality then getting it quicker.

Unlike other LCD which got bore after a while, this LCD just grew on you as you use it more and more. There are so many things you can do with it. Frrom HDTV to Gaming to PC usage, it's all there. With PS3 playing NBA08 with 1080P support, the graphics is just gaw dropping. So many calibration to make it looks even better. I have't really calibrate this unit much. If anyone the Spyder calibration device, can you post your setting? Everytime I use this LCD, I just stare with amazing.

Your weicome.

I just now came off playing Oblivion at full 1080P rez, its an intensely " high- quality graphics" Game that pushes PCs to their limits.
The GP3U does more than drawing "real nice Text" in Windows.
It draws Oblivion's gigantic Imperial City superbly, even to tiny details in fortress walls and fast-moving enemies. Draws in very sharp-details: mountains, thunderstorms, sunsets in brilliant colors, starry-night skies.
And, at 1080P rez, the GP3U draws Crysis game Pics in awesome detail ....
from tiny details in soldiers weapons and combat armor----to details in eyes, when you get-up-close-----to scary combat-scenes in factory-tunnels, and prowling tanks in jungle-warfare. wow.

SUMMARY:
+++ The GP3U "pic-quality" looks so fine at 1080P, I've decided to upgrade my twin Nvidia 7900GT video cards to new ATI 3870's so I can crank-up game "eye candy" even higher
+++ Duck did real fine with the camera he had, and it helped a lot of us including myself. But now, to survive and grow---the Thread needs someone with " top-quality" camera to post more Game pics. Volunteers welcome.
+++ To, whoever is sitting on the fence .... I dont think you'll go wrong giving GP3U a shot. Buy from a dealer like JR, who lets you return it..
+++ For me, its been a 10-month journey thru these panels ... 37" Westy ... 32" Sharp D62U ... 40" Tosh RF359U ... 37" JVC 688 ....finally to 32" Sharp GP3U.
I think I've finally found my "PC Monitor & Gaming Panel".
Its time to go enjoy it.. Cheers .......

This my update on the 24fps support. This unit does support 1080P blu-ray 24fps movie because when I set my PS3 for 24fps playback on blu-ray movies, it does show on the display "1080P/24". Unfortunately, I don't see any different when I turn it on and off. I only test it with 1 movie title. I need to do so searching to see which movie truely take advantage of the 24fps.

The Press Release on this LCD mention of 24fps support for 1080p movies, but I don't see it mention on the menu. There is a film mode option, maybe that is the 24fps support.
This is perhap the best looking LCD-TV for a 32" display.

..... .I'll take front / back / left / right / top Pictures of the LCD (to) help people who are considering ....
Photos of "image quality", I'll see what I can do.... I used to do a lot of Photography......
On a side note, I looked at my status at JR and it is still in "processing" stage. I was hoping it would ship today so It would come by Tues. ....
Thanks, Jungle, that is great news.
A real live Photographer posting all kindsa Pics here, will be tremendous Help to folks who are considering buying this set.
Hope your GP3U arrives real soon !! :D

GP3U SETTINGS.
1 ... First thing I did was lower the factory's ridiculously-high Backlite setting. (dont wanna prematurely burn-out my nice new LCD-TV).
The reason a Mfr cranks-up the Backlite is so that in Stores, his TV will look "Briighter" and more "Colorful" than the competition. So of course, all the other Mfrs do same.
2 ... Factory setting for Contrast is also very high-----but lowering it too much seems to have effect of adding a slight 'color-tint' to my White Text (I don't like that). So I chose a good compromise setting.
3 ... Sharpness seems to cause more problems than its worth. In Crysis game, the high factory-setting, was causing shiny "lights" or "streaks of light" on the edges of Soldier's uniforms, helmets, boots, etc.
Lowering it cured that, and also got rid of wrinkles in a Soldiers face (he was looking like he was your GranPa).
4 ... Factory setting for Color Temp ("High") seems to give a pink-'tint' to my White Text . (Dont like that). But cranking it way down to "Low" seems to give a 'green-'tint' to my White Text.
So I chose a good compromise setting somewhere in the middle.
SUMMARY:
The GP3U has many color-settings n' tweaks. (Example: in the Advanced sub-Menu, the "Tint" and "Hue" sub-sub-menus have so many "possible combinations of colors" that I just looked, and quickly-exited outta there)
These are the Settings I did change (comments, criticisms, Welcome) .....

OPC ON
BACKLITE +5
CONTRAST +30
BRITENESS 0
COLOR 0
TINT 0
SHARPNESS +1
Advanced Menu...
COLOR TEMP Mid-High
ACTIVE CONTRAST Off
MONOCHROME Off
RANGE OF OPC +5 to - 5

So the shimmering/color flickering due to not being able to completely turn off dynamic contrast has been solved with this update? I tried the previous monitor and had to return it because of this issue, everything else was great but the shimmering was so annoying while watching movies from my pc. :(

So the shimmering/color flickering due to not being able to completely turn off dynamic contrast has been solved with this update?
senseiam, the GP3U is not an "updated GP1U." When Sharp built the GP3U they replaced most of the GP1U guts.
They threw out the GP1U's circuit boards, replacing them with new, faster integrated-circuits (called "system on a chip").
They wrote new Software to run everything, and put the new TV in a new cabinet with 4-feet instead of a flat pedestal, and the tv now rotates left/right, at touch of hand.
Also, there are controls on the Remote that seem to be new, not found on GP1U (but I'm not sure about that).
IMO, all the above means GP3U is not a 'GP1U Update'. Its an all new 1080P Gaming TV (I think Sharp's 2008 sales-literature calls it "2nd Generation").

I've had mine a couple weeks, and see no 'shimmering of screen' or 'flickering of screen' that you saw on your GP1U. I'm guessing Sharp must have fixed that bug.
NOTE: However, I've never used my GP3U for TV-watching or Movie-watching.
I use it as a combo "Gaming Panel & PC Monitor" and it totally kicks-butt at both jobs. :D Good luck.

And to the other Poster's question ("Is there a 37" GP3U ?")....
I saw a post by a guy in Japan who says Sharp sells a 37" GP3U in Japan. But then he said its very popular in Japan, but its not the Gaming model.

If anyone knows of measurements of input lag (compared to a CRT) for either the LC32GP1U or the LC32GP3U, I would really, really appreciate a link. I'm very curious. I wish I had the right camera to do the measurements myself.

Any impressions on text sharpness?

Also can someone with an LC32GP3U do this test for me - open up the hardforums page full screen (press F11 in your browser window). Then open another white window (notepad or whatever) and size it up and down, and see if the red stripe in the hardforum window in the background is changing in brightness)? Should take only a few seconds and very easy to do - would love to hear some feedback on this.

Also can someone with an LC32GP3U do this test for me - open up the hardforums page full screen (press F11 in your browser window). Then open another white window (notepad or whatever) and size it up and down, and see if the red stripe in the hardforum window in the background is changing in brightness)? Should take only a few seconds and very easy to do - would love to hear some feedback on this.

Its been awhile but I think there was one on this thread, close to the beginning. My LCD should be here by Tuesday and when I have the chance I'll post some pictures.

Text sharpness is fine. I have no problem reading from the webpage or write a word document. But due to it large pixel size (0.369), it's not as sharp as other LCD with pixel size of less than 0.28, of course.
The red stripe does change brightness when you open a notepad on top of it. It got brighter when you open a white notepad on top of it and when you minimize the notepad, it return to original brightness.

The red stripe does change brightness when you open a notepad on top of it. It got brighter when you open a white notepad on top of it and when you minimize the notepad, it return to original brightness.

bleh, that means they didn't actually fix the dynamic contrast issue :mad: Appears you still can't completely turn it off.

I don't see any problem with that. It doesn't seem to bother me much. Is there a reason why you don't like about it?

bleh, that means they didn't actually fix the dynamic contrast issue :mad: Appears you still can't completely turn it off.

I don't see any problem with that. It doesn't seem to bother me much. Is there a reason why you don't like about it?

As a TV it is great but when it comes to PC use it's highly annoying when the color randomly changes from one shade to the next. Watching HD movies off of the PC backgrounds/walls shimmer instead of being one solid color. :( Oh well, hopefully the new Toshiba doesn't disappoint, it's a 32" 1080p as well, I believe it comes out in March. I don't understand why it is so hard to throw in an option to completely turn off dynamic contrast?

As a TV it is great but when it comes to PC use it's highly annoying when the color randomly changes from one shade to the next. Watching HD movies off of the PC backgrounds/walls shimmer instead of being one solid color ....
I fixed a problem with "shifting Text colors" on my GP3U. The culprit was WinXP 'ClearType'.
I was letting WinXP use it, to smooth screen fonts. When I un-checked the box, the Text problem disappeared
Also I see no color-shifting, when running "red bar "Test (see sethk's post, 6 posts above this).
Maybe, using 'ClearType' for smoothing screen-fonts, causes more problems than just Text problems?
If anyone wants details of how to fix "shifting" Text colors give a holler.

I found the DC pretty minor in everyday use with the GP1U - not noticeable in gaming, but slightly noticeable when playing around in Windows - no big deal for me, but I was curious.

I found the DC pretty minor in everyday use with the GP1U - not noticeable in gaming, but slightly noticeable when playing around in Windows - no big deal ...
Same with me when I had 32" D62U----it was fine.

Zak, I'm currently using "ClearType" and I don't see any "shifting Text colors". Text colors is solid like any other LCD. The only thing I see is when you open a notepad and expand it across top to bottom of the screen (with notepad as the foreground), the background brightness appear slightly brighter. Other than that, all texts is solid and no shimmering or no shifting of colors texts.

I fixed a problem with "shifting Text colors" on my GP3U. The culprit was WinXP 'ClearType'.
I was letting WinXP use it, to smooth screen fonts. When I un-checked the box, the Text problem disappeared
Also I see no color-shifting, when running "red bar "Test (see sethk's post, 6 posts above this).
Maybe, using 'ClearType' for smoothing screen-fonts, causes more problems than just Text problems?
If anyone wants details of how to fix "shifting" Text colors give a holler.

I am watching a HD movie and typing, I also switch it back and fore. I don't see any color changes or shimmering. Texts is solid and colors is solid. The only thing I see a is a slight (barely noticeable unless you really looks for it) change in brightness as I switch back and fore between this forum and the HD movie. I wish you can see this LCD in action, it's pretty good with Windows usage. When it come to HD movies and gaming, it's incredible. Of course, there are many 32" LCD coming out this years, if you can wait, you should wait. Good thing come to those that wait. I am particularly waiting for the Sony 32XBR6 with 120hz support coming out this summer. If the Sony can run Windows at 1920x1080 with 120hz, this GP3U is up for sell for me :)
In the meantime, I am enjoying this great LCD. So far, I have no regret but all loves for this LCD because I am amazed with it everytime I use it.
To those that like to nitpicking (it's understandable because this LCD is not cheap), here is what I find about some minor flaw of this LCD so far:
1. Single color uniformity: not that good (the 4 corner and left and right of the screen is slight darker than the middle of the screen).
2. Slightly changes in brightness between from the non-active windows vs active windows.
3. Text pixel size (greater than 0.369), you will see more flaw when you view webpage compare to much smaller LCD.
I'm sure there is more, but so far, I only manage to find that 3 minor flaws of this LCD.

As a TV it is great but when it comes to PC use it's highly annoying when the color randomly changes from one shade to the next. Watching HD movies off of the PC backgrounds/walls shimmer instead of being one solid color. :( Oh well, hopefully the new Toshiba doesn't disappoint, it's a 32" 1080p as well, I believe it comes out in March. I don't understand why it is so hard to throw in an option to completely turn off dynamic contrast?

This my update on the 24fps support. This unit does support 1080P blu-ray 24fps movie because when I set my PS3 for 24fps playback on blu-ray movies, it does show on the display "1080P/24". Unfortunately, I don't see any different when I turn it on and off. I only test it with 1 movie title. I need to do so searching to see which movie truely take advantage of the 24fps.

Find a movie with a scene where the camera pans slowly from left to right. Play that specific scene using the 1080p mode. Play that scene again using the 1080p/24 mode. If everything is done correctly the end result should be no "judder." The judder would be caused by 3:2 pulldown which is the process of doubling the first frame, tripling the second frame, doubling the third frame, and so forth. Each frame during the pulldown is not on the screen for the same amount of time resulting in this "judder" effect. You should see a smoother image when the 1080p/24 mode is on because since 24 is a multiple of 120 the 3:2 pulldown is not necessary. Each frame would then be on the screen for the same amount of time, and therefore "judder" should be non-existent.

Example of 3:2 pulldown:

AABBBCC

Example of 5:5 pulldown [120/24=5]:

AAAAABBBBBCCCCC

This is what the player or the TV would do if the set was 60 hz. 24 hz is not a multiple of 60 hz therefore that's why 3:2 pulldown is necessary. 24, 30, 60 can all go into 120! :D

Zak, I'm currently using "ClearType" and I don't see any "shifting Text colors". ....
Glad to hear it. It was so bad with me, it was distracting.
Luckily I came across post from sharp dude who said "Clear Type sometimes does strange things to text-colors".(Duckymse, notice the word, "sometimes").
So I deactivated ClearType (for "font-smoothing") using Display icon in WinXP's Control Panel (Display / Appearance / Effects)---and hit 'Apply'. Bingo, no more text-color problems.

Also, in Control Panel, I went System / Advanced / PerformanceSettings, and un-checked box "Let Windows choose whats best" and checked box "Adjust for Best Performance".
That automatically un-checked 16 boxes that WinXP had "active" that were using precious system resources (for silly things like "fading" boxes, "sliding" menus, "tranlucent" rectangles, bla bla.).
Look at the long list, u can see it right there. I hit Apply and returned to desktop. I think that made Games run a little faster, smoother.

where can I find the sharp 32" lc-gp3u? I've looked at every bestbuy in ny and can only find the gp1u, I've also tried every pc richards and circut city and no one has this thing. Is it even available yet? If price is no concern since I cant find the gp3u anyways is there a 32" for PC and Console gaming thats even better then this gp3u?

is the 32" gp3u the best pc gaming and xbox360/ps3 option available right now?

is the 32" gp3u the best pc gaming and xbox360/ps3 option available right now?
Can't say, cuz I never used a Game Console (xbox, ps3 etc.).
I'll just tell you my opinion so far of the GP3U, and you be judge cuz you know whats best for you ....
So far I'm quite pleased with my wonderful new 32" 1080P LCD-TV.
Haven't seen any "flaws" yet, but to tell truth I'm not looking-hard for them either.
I'm using it for everyday use as combo PC monitor & Gaming panel. It kicks-butt at both jobs. Text is sharp, clear, Colors beautiful, Blacks real good.
Game Play is smooth at full 1920x1080 rez (1080P) using twin Nvidia 7900GT's in sli. I NEVER run at any rez except full 1080P ("1920x1080x60hz") whether in PC use or in Games.
Textures, peoples faces, sunsets, mountain scenes, fast-moving enemies, all look really Awesome. Game "eyecandy" is set high, but no AA (cuz at 1080P super-rez, AA bogs-down the vid cards).
I like the TV's quality, the hi-gloss black frame, the excellent fit n' finish, the smooth pivoting-action when you swivel the TV, left or right.
The Remote Control has tons of "color-settings n' tweaks" (I'm no guru, so I dont even touch some of them ;)
As for GP3U's "Subwoofer output connector" if u want even more Bass than GP3U has, connect this to a big Subwoofer and blow yer house down in Crysis orOblivion.(haven't used it yet).
I hope you have the same good luck. Plz post some Pics if u buy.:D

If the Sony can run Windows at 1920x1080 with 120hz, this GP3U is up for sell for me :)

I highly doubt this - none of the other 120hz TVs out so far have been able to support 120hz input, only 24->120hz pulldown.

thanks zak, looks like I'm gonna buy this soon as I can find it. I cant buy this online because wifey will kill me. I need to find a retailer in long island ny that has it and pay cash so she wont know what it cost :D

thanks zak, looks like I'm gonna buy this soon as I can find it.
I cant buy this online because wifey will kill me.
I need to find a retailer in long island ny that has it and pay cash so she wont know what it cost :D
:D Good news for you :D
"JR.com" is J&R Music and it has a store.
23 Park Row, New York, N.Y. 10038
(across from City Hall Park)
Phone 1-212-238-9000
Fax: 1-212-238-9191
Call first to verify "in stock" (it was 15 min. ago).
Sharp LC-32GP3U-B (black)
Sharp LC-32GP3U-W (white)
Sharp LC-32GP3U-R (red)
(that wine red looks pretty cool: a guy posted from Japan a pic of his red GP3U with his lil' wifey beaming happily next to it) :D

wow, thanks for taking the time to find me a store that has it. I'm gonna pick it up later today :)

I got my GP3U last night. I will have first impression and pictures soon. Until then this is a great computer monitor for anyone who is interested in the GP3U.

I got my GP3U last night.
I will have first impression and pictures soon.
Until then this is a great computer monitor for anyone who is interested in the GP3U.
Congrats ! Yes, it is fine for PC use.
I'm interested in how high your Nvidia 8800GTS card will let you crank up the "eyecandy" in a Game, cuz I wanna upgrade from my twin 7900GT's.
I hear that one ATI 3870 or one Nvidia 8800 card can do more work than two 7900GTs. If true, then wow!--they must be awesome cards.
Any chance of some close-up 1920x1080 Game pics? Lotsa Pics are what this Thread desperate needs. Thanx.

Congrats ! Yes, it is fine for PC use.
I'm interested in how high your Nvidia 8800GTS card will let you crank up the "eyecandy" in a Game, cuz I wanna upgrade from my twin 7900GT's.
I hear that one ATI 3870 or one Nvidia 8800 card can do more work than two 7900GTs. If true, then wow!--they must be awesome cards.
Any chance of some close-up 1920x1080 Game pics? Lotsa Pics are what this Thread desperate needs. Thanx.

With BF2 I get an average of 70-80fps with max setting at 1920x1080 (widescreen edit). The lowest it has gone down in BF2 was 50-60 and that is when I've died.

Oblivion with everything cranked up, HDR enable @1920x1080 on average is 50-60fps and I think 60fps is a cap because no matter where I'm at or if nothing is going on, its still on 60fps. This might be because it was made for console gaming too like Gears of War.

I still need to try COD4, Crysis, Gears Of War, Quake and others. All on stock settings. Once I have stock settings numbers I'll OC my CPU and maybe my GPU to see what scores I get. I did notice that with BF2 even when I had other programs loaded the fps still stay the same which is probably due to the multiprocessors.

When I get a chance, hopefully next week I'll do reviews on my freshly built system in sig and post up numbers and specs for people who are considering some of the hardware I have.

Back