Silverstone TJ09!

Does anyone know if the bar underneath the mesh is for structural support of the case or is it there to support the mesh?

Started my new build tonight. TJ09, BA2, eVga 8800GTX.

I cannot get the video card to set properly in the slot. The front end (heat exhaust, video connectors) of the card just won't go down. The back end seems fine, but I cannot get the front to go in. It looks like it is lining up perfectly. The metal tabs on the video card are the same length as the metal tabs I removed to install the card.

I have tried all three PCIe slots just to see how the others fared, and it is the same story with all three.

I am posting this in this cases thread because I think the source of the problem involves the motherboard tray on the Silverstone.

Anyone else have a build using these components? Problems with it or not?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

edit: Ignore the above. On closer inspection the bottoms of the metal tabs were bent just a little bit. I straightened them out and...voila.

I had the same problem tug. I took a screwwdriver and pushed slightly inward on the video card alignment guide and it went right in as well. Glad to hear you got your problem straightened out.

Yeah - also, there's a tiny slit under the open pci slot you can see the tip of the card's pci slot bracket there when you push the card in, it gets stuck there often, so take a flat heat screw driver and push in there, the tip should then fully slide down into the proper resting place, IE: "fully incerted". Just about all my cards had to be "jimmied" this way on this case.. well, video and sound..

Thanks guys. Glad to see I am not alone in this. One more thing for me to remember to check from now on.

Much appreciated.:)

ituggle,

Were you able to get the HD LED to work with the Bad Axe 2 and your TJ09?

Intel D975XBX2 (BIOS 2507)
Intel Core 2 E6700
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (PC2 6400C4)
ATI X1900XTX / X1900 Cross Fire Edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
2x Seagate 80GB (RAID 0)
Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)
Plextor PX-760A
Silver Stone OP1000 (1000Watt)
Silver Stone TJ09 (Silver)
Windows XP Pro/SP2

Evga nForce 680i SLI (BIOS P24)
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (PC2 6400C4)
2x Evga GeForce 8800GTX KO ACS3
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
2x WD 74Gb Raptor (RAID 0)
2x WD 36Gb Raptor (RAID 0)
Plextor PX-716A
Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)
PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Silver Stone TJ09 (Black)
Windows XP Pro/SP2

Hey guys I am picking this case up next month I think. Just waiting for the new Silvestone PSU's to become available (OP750/DA750) so I can buy everything at once.

I am wondering if this case comes with all necessary accessories especially the motherboard standoffs? Is there anything this case doesn't supply out of the box that I should look into getting besides the fans?

Thanks.

There is a bag of about 20? standoff screws, 20 mobo screws (smooth under screw head), and maybe 20 mounting screws (serrated/rough under screw head), I have a small bag of zip ties that I think came with the case as well. BTW I went with the Scythe S-Flexes on MadMat's advice and they are great. I am going to buy 3 more, 2 to replace my stocker silverstone fans and one for my tuniq tower.

I'm not sure if the OP750 is made by the same manufacturer as the OP1000, but you should read the review over at JonnyGURU before you make your mind. Don't get me wrong, I love Silverstone (of course look at the thread I'm posting in) I have the ST85ZF, but you should still read the review.

Good Luck!

SST OP1000 review

EDIT: oh yeah..l. Flush mounted hardrive screws for the hardrive cages are included.

Hey guys I am picking this case up next month I think. Just waiting for the new Silvestone PSU's to become available (OP750/DA750) so I can buy everything at once.

I am wondering if this case comes with all necessary accessories especially the motherboard standoffs? Is there anything this case doesn't supply out of the box that I should look into getting besides the fans?

Thanks.

It comes with everything you need to mount your mobo, hardrives, disc drives, etc, and them some. It even has extenders for if some of your cables don't reach.

Started my new build tonight. TJ09, BA2, eVga 8800GTX.

I cannot get the video card to set properly in the slot. The front end (heat exhaust, video connectors) of the card just won't go down. The back end seems fine, but I cannot get the front to go in. It looks like it is lining up perfectly. The metal tabs on the video card are the same length as the metal tabs I removed to install the card.

I have tried all three PCIe slots just to see how the others fared, and it is the same story with all three.

I am posting this in this cases thread because I think the source of the problem involves the motherboard tray on the Silverstone.

Anyone else have a build using these components? Problems with it or not?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

edit: Ignore the above. On closer inspection the bottoms of the metal tabs were bent just a little bit. I straightened them out and...voila.

Tug..I had the same problem..then I just use my needle nose pliers to bend the lip,,and it slipped right in...so your not the only one
Glad you got it,,I love my case man :D :D..sorry could help it
Hey I posted my case on nvidia's "Sli" site and my case is in 5th place..Woot (Duel 8800gtx,,and the Whole 9...) ;) :eek:

thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. I hate being stuck unexpected when I need stuff I don't have during a build.

BTW, where is this recommendation I can read from madmat regarding fans? I am looking to replace/add the fans in the TJ09 but can't decide between Noctua, Yate Loon or S-Flex, any input would be appreciated. I am tired of a hot case and want everything to run nice and cool but as quiet as possible of course.

Cantank,
Madmat is an active member of this forum as well as a product reviewer for techgage and JonnyGURU. I got the recommendation from him on the Scythe S-flex fans over on JonnyGURU.

thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. I hate being stuck unexpected when I need stuff I don't have during a build.

BTW, where is this recommendation I can read from madmat regarding fans? I am looking to replace/add the fans in the TJ09 but can't decide between Noctua, Yate Loon or S-Flex, any input would be appreciated. I am tired of a hot case and want everything to run nice and cool but as quiet as possible of course.

the s flex fans are great, but you could also use the yate loons and get pretty similar results for 1/3 of the price.

thanks again guys, very helpful and I like that. I was looking at the yate loons due to their price but was worried if I should spend a little more and get the s-flex. I believe in buying only once and doing it right the first time, I HATE buyers remorse.

Say, wondering, is the Silverstone stock fans that come with the TJ louder/quieter/same as an S-flex or Yate Loon at high speed? More importantly which pushes more air at full speed?

Thanks.

I can't speak for noise level on the Yate Loons, because I have never used them. I actually looked into getting some, but they were always sold out at any of the places I wanted to buy them from. I can tell you that they have ball type bearings, which the stock silverstones do as well. I think what makes the S-flex so quiet and longer lasting is the fact it utilizes the FDB (fluid dynamic bearing).

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/images/sfdb.jpg

Note from FLECOM: Do NOT hotlink images, host them yourself

I'm using the TJ09 stock fans, and they seem great to me; quiet and very good air flow.

I bought 2 extra 1200 rpm S-Flex fans to place, well, somewhere; one is between the hard drive and the other, after much testing, is in one the upper locations, but is blowing in!!!

Both the stock and s-flex fans are great. However, if I did this again, I would to with the fan with the next rpm up (and possibly add a controller)!!! I find the 1,200 rpm s-flex fans and air flow just a bit slow.

Anyone else get a dead Chasis fan or am I the lucky one? A $300 case should have working fans I would think LOL.
Ordering up 2 Scythe 120's one for the chasis and one for the top.

Also gonna get some sort of screening for the side vent 'hole' any recommendations? I was thinking just some fly screen mounted with some decent silicon adhesive. And possibly using that tight mesh fly screen for the top vents to filter better since gravity loves pulling dust down on the tops of things.

Anyone modding this thing yet? There has to be a better way to pull out your HDDs rather than unscrewing them from thier cages everytime.

Anyone know where to get a 8 pin extension cable from ? Newegg doesnt seem to have them.

Is performance-pcs a "trustable" site ? Just wondering since I only purchase stuff at newegg.

Alrighty.. I'm 90% sure about buying this case for my brother.. but, I want to watercool it.

I have only seen one TJ09 that is watercooled, but the guy had two 120mm radiators mounted up in the top where the screen mesh is. I know there is a gap inbetween there preventing an easy mount for a 2x120 radiator, but, how else would a 2x120 rad go into that case? I was hoping a 2x120 would fit up there somehow, but I don't know if making my own mounts would be easy enough to mount them up there. Does anyone have any good pictures of the inside upper region of the case with and without the fans removed so I can see? Or, does anyone have any suggestions where to put a 2x120 rad.. or would 2 individual 120 rads be just as effective for cooling. He's looking to cool his CPU, and possibly a 8800GTS.
Thanks,
wiretap

Remove the grille, cut out the center bar out and then install a piece of over sized sheet aluminum with holes properly cut for the dual fan radiator. Paint the replacement sheet a semi-gloss black. Affix the sheet with rivets to the existing structure and then mount the radiator. Reinstall the mesh grille.

Here's an older build of mine that shows some aluminum work. It might help:

http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/old/pc73slb/

Not a very straight forward solution to water cool this case. This is the way I'm doing mine - look towards the end of the post. (When I get the time... grrr).

Top Mounted Rad

Ah, that helps a lot. Thanks. I was originally thinking along those lines with the L-brackets, but I didn't know if there was enough clearance with the motherboard there. I'm going to tackle this project in the next few months, so I'll start planning this out now.. unless another good case comes along. ^_^

hi guys,

I don't have this case yet but have a question regarding it. When it comes to the attachment and detachment of PCI cards from within the case once installed I understand you don't have to remove the tray and can instead stick a screwdriver through the holes to do so correct? I am wondering if it would be possible to use thumbscrews instead in this area. I think it would be much easier than sticking a screwdriver down into the whole to get stuff in and out. I am wondering if there is even enough room in that area to have a thumbscrew sticking out and if so would these fit alright?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18850&vpn=A2381&manufacture=THERMALTAKE

I may be wrong as I don't have th case, if you guys agree or disagree or have any other ideas, comments, suggestions etc please do share as I want to get everything 100% ordered at one time before I build my system back up from the old Antec P160 case. I would hate to realize I missed something.

Thanks.

Plenty of room for thumbscrews but it is so easy to use a screwdriver.

thanks for the response. I guess I could be getting too far ahead of myself without actually owning the case. I just didn't want to have to pay shipping twice if I decided I wanted them later. I guess if they are guaranteed to fit I will just decide if I want to go thumbscrew or screwdriver just before I place the order.

I picked up a long(ish) (6") phillips bit for .99 at a misc parts store for this. It's slightly magnitized and it rocks for getting those card/slot cover screwes in and out.

Finally got my watercooling set up. Take a look. :D

tj09_1.jpg

tj09_2.jpg

wow - really nice.. man.. makes me want to get back into the ol h2o cooled gig.. hrm.. I was thinking Coolit Freezone.. but that rad sits so nice up top like that.. heh.. sweet setup!

Guys... as your chatting, post your before and after temps (ambient, case, cpu, gpu, chipset) .... hell post them even if you did change equipment. Remember its not all about looks with a case, AFAIK only VR and the Hexsus did temp comparisons and I thought they weren't very comprehensive.... I should be getting this case soon, I just wish I could see less cable disasters lol

I have yet another question about this case if someone wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts with an answer.

I am wondering about the various grills that are above all the fan placements in the case. Do these block airflow at all and if so by how much? I have some low powered 120mm SilenX fans acting in a blow hole on my self dremeled Antec P160 however I have no filters on them so airflow is straight and raw. I am wondering how these fans will hold up in the TJ09 if I were to use them now that there may be possibly some restriction due to the mesh found where the fan would go. Would anyone who owns the case care to comment on whether this mesh blocks airflow at all and if so do you find by a significant amount? Would I be ok to continue using my SilenX fans or should I use something new and more powerful (1600rpm Scythe S-Flex perhaps) as the extra power/cfm will be needed to overcome the mesh that may be blocking airflow?

I appreciate any comments, suggestions or ideas on this matter. I don't really want to waste money on new fans if I don't need them however I have no qualms about doing things right the first time if that means spending money on new fans to get the job done properly to keep my system nice and cool when its overclocked in the upcoming summer months.

Thanks a ton.

Andrew

The mesh isn't extremely restrictive imho. I had a couple of undervolted yate loons acting as exhaust and could feel quite a bit of airflow. I would try your fans first and then replace them if you see temperatures rising beyond what you desire. The top fans just snap in so they're extremely easy to replace. The fan that blows on the GPU requires a bit more to replace (removing some awkward screws) but, overall, I never thought the mesh was a problem. But... if you're used to unrestricted fan flow, you may see some difference... very subjective.

Back