SN25P linkages, pictures ect. resource .

I have a problem. I went to swap in a new CPU today and the ICE system on my SN25P was...stuck. I unscrewed all the screws making sure they had "popped" out. No matter what I did, I couldn't lift up the ICE module. I'm wondering if it somehow got fuzed to the CPU. I used AS5. Anyone ever hear of this happening? Perhaps I did something during the installation of my CPU? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Decelerate said:
This might take a while... if ever. This is no mainstream product, and people who are into this usually know where to knock for information, so Shuttle might not bother.

Doesn't mean that it's ok though. A press release would settle things...

The way to confirm it is to shut the system down, unplug your keyboard. When it boots up you will get a BIOS screen that will read it as ULTRA. Sure, this could just be an idiot message, but with Odie confirming it and the BIOS saying it - must be true.

Very surprised that Shuttle is not making a big deal about this now.

Here's the thing- I don't want to have to purchase one of these, perform some trick, and hope that the message I get means that I have what I was looking for- I want it to say it on the box, the documentation, the settings in the BIOS being verified by a third party program, etc. That, and I want to see review samples with it out there.

One question: why does everyone only take 1gb of ram and not 2gb? The price difference isn`t that high.

Here are my specs:

1 x Shuttle XPC SN25P Mini-Barebone Alu (Sockel 939/200/dual PC3200 DDR)
1 x Western Digital Raptor 73.4GB SATA (WD740GD)
1 x AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 0.09µ Sockel-939 tray, 2.20GHz, 512kB Cache (ADA3500BI)
1 x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 2048MB PC3200 CL3-3-3 (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G)
1 x Club-3D Radeon X800 Pro, 256MB GDDR3, 2x DVI, ViVo, PCIe (CGAX-PX86VDD)
1 x Plextor PlexWriter PX-716SA retail

1,741$ or 1355€
And i am considering to add another
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB SATA II (HDT722525DLA380) for 146$ to be able to have a system and programms only Raptor drive.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Iargonaut said:
One question: why does everyone only take 1gb of ram and not 2gb? The price difference isn`t that high.

Here are my specs:

1 x Shuttle XPC SN25P Mini-Barebone Alu (Sockel 939/200/dual PC3200 DDR)
1 x Western Digital Raptor 73.4GB SATA (WD740GD)
1 x AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 0.09µ Sockel-939 tray, 2.20GHz, 512kB Cache (ADA3500BI)
1 x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 2048MB PC3200 CL3-3-3 (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G)
1 x Club-3D Radeon X800 Pro, 256MB GDDR3, 2x DVI, ViVo, PCIe (CGAX-PX86VDD)
1 x Plextor PlexWriter PX-716SA retail

1,741$ or 1355€
And i am considering to add another
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB SATA II (HDT722525DLA380) for 146$ to be able to have a system and programms only Raptor drive.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Not a price decision on my part. 1 gig ram is more then enough for 98% of
everything you need to run. About the only benefit of having more is in
photoshop or very high end CAD applications.

Going beyond 1 gig gives minimal impovements in performance....given that
now might be the case....more in the future may be needed.

IdiotInCharge said:
Here's the thing- I don't want to have to purchase one of these, perform some trick, and hope that the message I get means that I have what I was looking for- I want it to say it on the box, the documentation, the settings in the BIOS being verified by a third party program, etc. That, and I want to see review samples with it out there.

That is why it is puzzleing as to why Shuttle is not doing more PR on this now.
They are dropping the ball IMHO...

They have been dropping it for a while. Their rig's quality have been questionable for some time.

IdiotInCharge said:

DONE !!!

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp

Shuttle says so, that is good enough !

And it now says: "SATA 300"

So now its a nForce4 Ultra with the complete active armor and s-ata II.

Not bad... if only........

whowowowow
so shuttle has done a revision to the sn25p?
or do the early ones have the ultra chipset as well along with sata2...?

Odie said that only a very few of the early batch of SN25Ps are vanilla. That it'd be rare for us to land on one, especially at this point.

Just wanted to throw in that I'm building an SN25P right now, and I've had to make some modifications/adjustments.

• I installed a Zalman VF700Cu on a 6800GT - had to use some tin snips on the drive cage so that the fins and fan blades weren't resting against the 3.5" drive cage.
  • The 6800GT wants two four-pin molex connectors (which is as many as the case has) so I'm going to need a lot of splitting - I need two connectors for the card, one for the zalman fan, and one for my optical drive. SATA power cables are all ready there.

I'm off to buy molex splitters today, I'll post pics when it's all done, if that interests anyone.

Can we boot an SN25P without a processor? I have the Shuttle but still waiting on my 3500+ Venice (god knows when they'll ship... any store in the US have them?)

I just hope that I don't have one of the very few NF4 vanilla

unless you bought your sn25p like 4 months ago, your pretty safe. I've had mine for 4 months and its an Ultra.

With summer here, it's starting to warm up. Between my westward facing computer room and the Prescott dumping a bunch of heat into the room from my W/C setup, I decided to build a SFF system today that would be quiet and run cooler. If I need to do anything crazy, I'll power up my main system, otherwise the SN25P will be my primary system for the coming months.

I ordered:

- SN25P Barbones System
- 3200+ A64 Venice
- Corsair TWINX3200-C2PT (2x512mb, DDR400)
- Rosewill X800 XL 256mb, Dual DVI w/ VIVO (Refurb for $264!)
- 2x250gb Seagate 7200.8 Hard Drives
- Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-R

I won't actually use the Corsair. It will go into my 2.4C Linux Server. I have PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 w/ TCCD chips in there which is best with A64 anyhow. It will be connected dual head to my Dell 2001FP's. I may pull my X850XT PE from my main system and swap, but the X800 XL will probably suit me fine.

It cost me $1400 from Newegg today. Ouch. But if it's quiet and keeps the temps down, I'll be quite happy. I hope to have the system built on Friday. I didn't want to dump a bunch of money on a San Diego CPU as I'd like to go with a dual core when they become available. I'll miss my P4 HT, that is for sure.

unixadm said:
With summer here, it's starting to warm up. Between my westward facing computer room and the Prescott dumping a bunch of heat into the room from my W/C setup, I decided to build a SFF system today that would be quiet and run cooler. If I need to do anything crazy, I'll power up my main system, otherwise the SN25P will be my primary system for the coming months.

I ordered:

- SN25P Barbones System
- 3200+ A64 Venice
- Corsair TWINX3200-C2PT (2x512mb, DDR400)
- Rosewill X800 XL 256mb, Dual DVI w/ VIVO (Refurb for $264!)
- 2x250gb Seagate 7200.8 Hard Drives
- Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-R

I won't actually use the Corsair. It will go into my 2.4C Linux Server. I have PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 w/ TCCD chips in there which is best with A64 anyhow. It will be connected dual head to my Dell 2001FP's. I may pull my X850XT PE from my main system and swap, but the X800 XL will probably suit me fine.

It cost me $1400 from Newegg today. Ouch. But if it's quiet and keeps the temps down, I'll be quite happy. I hope to have the system built on Friday. I didn't want to dump a bunch of money on a San Diego CPU as I'd like to go with a dual core when they become available. I'll miss my P4 HT, that is for sure.

You have a nice setup. Be aware that the Venice CPU on this shuttle reports temps
higher then they usually are. Shuttle has stated that a BIOS upgrade will fix this issue so I would not be concerned. My shuttle runs way cooler & quieter then my Intel system.

You can check www.sfftech.com forums for more info on this.

I bought mine from a supplier here in ozzieland and its an ultra, this would have been over a month ago now.

God I love my shuttle!

I totally agree about the company tho, why isnt shuttle publicising its error. Most shops here are selling these as vanilla NF4 and not capitalising on the fact that they are ultra's.

Gonzo

I prefer ST20G5:
system.jpg

The ATI Silencer does require a modded drive cage and removing the plastic fan shroud in the SN25P. I have had no negative effects from either of these easy mods and my temps are significantly lower! The ATI Silencer 5 fan shroud just slightly contacts one of the capacitors on the SN25P motherboard - which is directly in front of the PCI-E slot. However, the X850XT does appear to be fully inserted in the slot (see pics). Also with the rear ram cooler screws fully tightened - I did not have any issues with clearance for the case cover.

The Artcic Silencer 5 (rev2) is completely silent even at full speed and keeps the X850XT super cool in the SN25P and exhausts all hot air out the rear of the case! I also recorded an 8C drop in Idle temps from the stock X850XT cooler. An additional benefit is that I am using ATI Tool to overclock the X850XT to PE speeds of 540/1180 and my idle temps are only 39C! (For comparisson my 6800GT w/NV5 Silence ran at 58C Idle)

I am very pleased with the results and my SN25P runs much cooler than ever with high end CPU and Graphics components ;-)

3DMark05 Compare - Score 6230

ATItool.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

------------------------------------
SN25P: FX-55, X850XT w/Arctic ATI 5, 1GB Kingston HyperX, 160GB Samsung SATA, Iomega CDRW, PN11 802.11B, Dell 2005FPW, Klipsh Promedia 4.1

I got all of my parts yesterday and put together my SN25P system. Everything worked great for about 90 seconds until my Rosewill Dual DVI X800 XL died. I transferred over my X850 XT PE and all was well again.

I got WinXP X64 installed without any issues. The Venice 3200+ I received is a 1.35v default vcore model. The system is super quiet and runs cool. I've been nothing but impressed with it.

I installed my PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 TCCD memory today but came away with mixxed feelings. I was getting more blue screens than anything else. I'm not sure if it's the memory, the motherboard, or X64 that is doing it. Even with very modest overclocks, I seem to run into memory issues. I can't even run 2-2-2-7 at the default speeds without it blue screening. So the memory may get an RMA back to Newegg while they still have a stock of TCCD.

I took the system into work today and everyone was drooling over it. It blew them away that I had a half terabyte in this little thing, along with a top of the line video card.

Anyhow - there is a new bios for the SN25P that was just released yesterday. You can snag it here:

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=SN25P

I tried it with no issues, but it didn't improve my OC problems.

while you CAN OC an SFF, it is important here to note whether or not you were able to make it stable at stock settings.

Belive me when I say its x64 . I have been running xprpo for the last month no problem not one BSOD rock solid . Installed x64 two nights ago and on all most every boot I get a BSOD . Its usualy a irq not equal to BSOD or one refering to a memory issue I dont recall the exact error . When it actualy boots and gets into windows there are no problem so far just on the boot is where I have problems .

unixadm said:
I got all of my parts yesterday and put together my SN25P system. Everything worked great for about 90 seconds until my Rosewill Dual DVI X800 XL died. I transferred over my X850 XT PE and all was well again.

I got WinXP X64 installed without any issues. The Venice 3200+ I received is a 1.35v default vcore model. The system is super quiet and runs cool. I've been nothing but impressed with it.

I installed my PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 TCCD memory today but came away with mixxed feelings. I was getting more blue screens than anything else. I'm not sure if it's the memory, the motherboard, or X64 that is doing it. Even with very modest overclocks, I seem to run into memory issues. I can't even run 2-2-2-7 at the default speeds without it blue screening. So the memory may get an RMA back to Newegg while they still have a stock of TCCD.

I took the system into work today and everyone was drooling over it. It blew them away that I had a half terabyte in this little thing, along with a top of the line video card.

Anyhow - there is a new bios for the SN25P that was just released yesterday. You can snag it here:

HARDHEAD said:
Belive me when I say its x64 . I have been running xprpo for the last month no problem not one BSOD rock solid . Installed x64 two nights ago and on all most every boot I get a BSOD . Its usualy a irq not equal to BSOD or one refering to a memory issue I dont recall the exact error . When it actualy boots and gets into windows there are no problem so far just on the boot is where I have problems .

Yep same here. IRQ_L_E_T or I get a CORRUPT file error. If it does get into windows I don't have any issues. Maybe I should just go back to 32bit WinXP PRO and forget about x64 for a while. I thought it was odd because I could pass Memtest with no issues, but it wouldn't boot Windows without a BSOD.

Seems like X64 was my problem. I installed WinXP PRO SP2 in a dual boot configuration and am now running at 2.5ghz (default voltage), DDR500 on my TCCD (2.5-3-3-7) 1T. Priming now. I got just shy of 28k in 3dmark 2001SE with my X850 XT PE at the default settings using Cat 5.5 drivers. Not too bad. I love this little system - and the best part is.. it's QUIET! Hopefully it will pass Prime95 at this speed.

unixadm said:

Thanks for the bios update linkage - - I seem to be getting more BSODs as well, however, I'm running W2K. I'll keep working through that, though, as it might be video driver related

One thing I **did** notice after the update was that on boot and POST I am now getting a message that says:

"Keyboard is locked out - unlock the key."

It wants me to press F1 and all things then progress forward as usual.

Does anyone else get this message? It is **not** something I can find in the BIOS to disable/enable (that I can see . . .).

-hk

Spiffae said:
The 6800GT wants two four-pin molex connectors (which is as many as the case has) so I'm going to need a lot of splitting - I need two connectors for the card, one for the zalman fan, and one for my optical drive. SATA power cables are all ready there.

I'm off to buy molex splitters today, I'll post pics when it's all done, if that interests anyone.

Well you're doing something wrong. Your 6800gt is either not pcie or you're trying to use the pcie --> 2 molex splitter when you should just be plugging in the pcie power connector from the psu.

Dr. X said:
Well you're doing something wrong. Your 6800gt is either not pcie or you're trying to use the pcie --> 2 molex splitter when you should just be plugging in the pcie power connector from the psu.
The SN25P doesn't have a 6-pin PCIE cable so you have to use the splitter. Thankfully, My X850XT only needs 1 molex to 6-pin. I used the splitter that came with the videocard.

will the new SN25P's come with the a current bios or does it still need updating for the x2 chips?

Dapperdan said:
will the new SN25P's come with the a current bios or does it still need updating for the x2 chips?

The one I ordered on the 26th of June (I just recieved all the parts Saturday), had the D bios on it so I'd say you're probably going to have to flash it when you get it. I had no problems flashing mine without a floppy disk (I refuse to buy one ever again). I installed XP, used winflash to flash to the O bios and then reinstalled. A small hassle maybe but system is going on 4 days with zero problems.

phobic said:
The one I ordered on the 26th of June (I just recieved all the parts Saturday), had the D bios on it so I'd say you're probably going to have to flash it when you get it. I had no problems flashing mine without a floppy disk (I refuse to buy one ever again). I installed XP, used winflash to flash to the O bios and then reinstalled. A small hassle maybe but system is going on 4 days with zero problems.

Why did you reinstall after flashing?

Arkanian said:
The SN25P doesn't have a 6-pin PCIE cable so you have to use the splitter. Thankfully, My X850XT only needs 1 molex to 6-pin. I used the splitter that came with the videocard.

Oh, ok. My bad.

Decelerate said:
Why did you reinstall after flashing?

I guess I was just paranoid. I've had absolutely no problems with my system although I'm going on 5 days of running it.

Back