SONY SDM-P234B. Another 16ms 23" LCD.

welcomerain said:
$1,774.28 (3-5 day shipping) from pagecomputer.com, where i also acquired the l2335. no doubt you could shave another $20 or so if you haggle, but the inconvenience of it is not worth it to me.

alrighty, i just ordered one!

Is the Sony monitor considered to be Widescreen? It looks like a 16x9 monitor...

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is widescreen. But the aspect ratio is not 16x9. It's 1920x1200 which is 16x10 standard.

Thanks! sony has a habit to make there stuff "non standard" i wonder if games will stretch to fill in the screen or will they leave black bars on the right and left sides?

I believe certain games support 16x9... I think Doom3 does.

Also what happens when you play at non native resolution? will the games looks right?

Never search ? :p

16x10 is standard aspect ratio. Also, there are many widescreen TVs (mostly PDP, and LCD) that are 16x10. All PC monitors with 1920x1200 are 16x10 widescreen aspect ratio.
Many games support 16x10 widescreen aspect ratio. (Especially the new games). DOOM3 does support 16x10 as well as 16x9 with the lastest patch which is in beta stage at the moment.

Also what happens when you play at non native resolution? will the games looks right?
This depends on monitors, and graphic cards' drivers. Some monitors have aspect ratio controls (such as SONY), and ATI Catalyst (for my X800 XT PE) displays correct aspect ratio according to the resolution I set it to.

nope never searched for it.... just bought 4 of these monitors... i hope they are good...

thanks for the input

vthee said:
nope never searched for it.... just bought 4 of these monitors... i hope they are good...

thanks for the input

let me guess... one for living room, bedroom, dining room, washroom! :D

Does anyone know how the picture quality of the SDM-P234B compares to Sony's XBRITE technology displays? I have a XBRITE notebook and love the picture quality so much, I vowed not to replace my 24" CRT desktop monitor until I found a LCD of similar size with the same picture quality as my Sony notebook.

APOLLO said:
Does anyone know how the picture quality of the SDM-P234B compares to Sony's XBRITE technology displays? I have a XBRITE notebook and love the picture quality so much, I vowed not to replace my 24" CRT desktop monitor until I found a LCD of similar size with the same picture quality as my Sony notebook.

the sdm--p234b DOES have xbrite technology. i fail to see how the backlighting technology affects "picture quality" (highly abiguous term) other than by brightness and contrast. the panel manufacturer (assuming it's the same universal 23" lg panel) and hence the panel itself would have more bearing on picture quality.

in any case, notebook LCD/TFTs usually have a lower (superior) dot pitch which would account for their superior display qualities. it's necessary to cram as many pixels into a limited space to be efficient in a portable display for sharper contrast and higher resolution. you're probably being unrealistic as to hold out for a equally comparable LCD monitor. but then again, i can hardly discern the minute difference on high-end displays.

welcomerain said:
the sdm--p234b DOES have xbrite technology. i fail to see how the backlighting technology affects "picture quality" (highly abiguous term) other than by brightness and contrast. the panel manufacturer (assuming it's the same universal 23" lg panel) and hence the panel itself would have more bearing on picture quality.
welcomerain,

Are you sure about P234B using X-Brite (some call it X-Black) ?
AFAIK, it does NOT. All SONY's P series (Professional series) does not use it.

ShePearl said:
welcomerain,

Are you sure about P234B using X-Brite (some call it X-Black) ?
AFAIK, it does NOT. All SONY's P series (Professional series) does not use it.

thanks for the correction. what i meant was Ergobright. all the fancy proprietary jargon (e.g. i-link is sony's ieee-1394) is becoming rather inane.

it's definitely not the same as xbright. ergobright is just a fancy one-touch button algorithm for adjusting brightness automatically with a set ratio to contrast and color to maintain a consistent fidelity.

welcomerain said:

in any case, notebook LCD/TFTs usually have a lower (superior) dot pitch which would account for their superior display qualities. it's necessary to cram as many pixels into a limited space to be efficient in a portable display for sharper contrast and higher resolution. you're probably being unrealistic as to hold out for a equally comparable LCD monitor. but then again, i can hardly discern the minute difference on high-end displays.

the sonystyle website doesn't say the SDM-P234B has XBrite technology. it says it has something called ErgoBrite.

i just got my monitors yesterday from sonystyle at the beverly center in LA... they are awesome!!!! I like how the sony lights up... i'll post some pics... but so far they are GREAT!!!! IMHO they are better than the HP's out there... i think it just looks plain better..

I got 2 for myself... and the other 2 will go to my parents... they are still using CRT monitors...

i'll keep you guys posted!

vthee said:
i just got my monitors yesterday from sonystyle at the beverly center in LA... they are awesome!!!! I like how the sony lights up... i'll post some pics... but so far they are GREAT!!!! IMHO they are better than the HP's out there... i think it just looks plain better..

I got 2 for myself... and the other 2 will go to my parents... they are still using CRT monitors...

i'll keep you guys posted!

have you any experience with the HPs?

mine arrived. posting whiling using it currently. needless to say i'm highly impressed. no defective pixels. perfect backlighting. photos and more to come. too lazy to post any other coherent thoughts.

no experience... just seen it and played around with it at work... it might perform the same but the sony looks way better....

wow, my monitor arrived today and i'm using it right now. while it is not as sharp as my Sony F520 CRT it is definitely very good still. some of the text fonts look a bit distorted but i'm still adjusting/calibrating mine.

@welcomerain & vthee: Sony's support site has the correct INF file. i went ther and installed it. do you guys have any suggestions for tweaking/calibrating this fine LCD? i went to MonitorsDirect.com but their PixelSharp program does not work. it keeps saying it cannot detect my monitor's native size or something and says i haven't installed my INF driver properly, but i have!! can you guys go there and confirm if it works for you or not?

thanks!

i'm also happy to report that i have ZERO, absolutely ZERO dead pixels. i am one picky bastard and i scrutinized my screen for at least 15-20 minutes about an inch away from the monitor and there are no dead pixels or other pixel anomalies for that matter. i am looking at the pixels so closely that i can make out the grooves of each individual pixel. i am very happy with my purchase. (i want to hug Mr. UPS delivery man who babied my monitor all the way from Dallas, Texas to here in Toronto, Canada (UPS Express Overnight shipping)... bought from Techonweb for $1750.

p.s. the manufacture date of my monitor says July 2004... nice and fresh wow. :)
p.p.s. can anyone recommend a good cable? i'm thinking about buying a better one. the ones that came with the monitor are decent but definitely not the best.

ok i just connected this monitor to my old computer which has Win2k Pro and an old ASUS GeForce3 video card.

the picture quality is stunning. the text is sharp and everything is so damn clear. it's way better than the picture on my new workstation... i guess something is terribly wrong in my new computer (what the heck did Dell do!??! grrr..)

will be working on this to find out what the problem is, but i'll post some pics... stay tuned

lol, i have soooooo much desk space now it's awesome... i used to have no space and cluttered with garbage. but i did some cleaning and now i got so much space since my old big 70lb chunk of monitor has been officially replaced!

ok here are some pics :)

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Woodchuck,

Congrats!, and thanks for the impressions, and pictures. They look great! :D

wow, my monitor arrived today and i'm using it right now. while it is not as sharp as my Sony F520 CRT it is definitely very good still. some of the text fonts look a bit distorted but i'm still adjusting/calibrating mine.
In the fifth picture, you've posted, I see you're using D-SUB (analog) cable, rather than DVI-D ? Come on. :D You gotta use DVI-D for this beast. Analog coneection may still look good, but it doesn't do the monitor's justice, no where near it.

p.s. the manufacture date of my monitor says July 2004... nice and fresh wow.
:D Man, this model is just released in July (or June) in Japan. Anyway, can you also check, and let us know where it's manufactured (made) from ? I wonder which part of the world LG manufactured this display ? China, Maxico, Korea, or somewhere in Europe ?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm still waiting for this monitor to be available in the UK. :( Should be very soon, I hope.

thx, ShePearl! i just checked in the back and it says made in Korea. so i'm assuming it is indeed an LG panel.

yea, i'm connecting to my old computer right now via analog because on my new Dell there's something wrong and the picture quality is horrible (well not horrible but definitely sub sub par). i don't know what is happening but i'm considering formatting and reinstalling the damn thing. because it has latest gfx drivers, all windows updates, directx 9.0b, correct INF monitor driver.. the workstation came pre-installed with everything so i'm not sure what's going on. i'll post a pic later to show you what i mean... gotta wake up at 6am and it's 2:48am lol ! always like this when i get a new toy :)

anything else you want to know/test let me know. i went to try those test utilities at MonitorsDirect.com but they didn't work. apparently they couldn't detect correctly what my native screen resolution was..

if you know of good LCD quality testing apps let me know and i'll run them. or if you have pics you want to see how they look on this monitor send them my way!

woodchuck

Woodchuck said:
thx, ShePearl! i just checked in the back and it says made in Korea. so i'm assuming it is indeed an LG panel.
I see. Thanks for the info.
FYI, not only the SONY uses LG-Philips S-IPS panel, the LG actually manufactures the whole monitor for SONY, and Apple (but some people disagree regarding Apple display being made by LG). But the SONY is indeed re-badged LG. :)

anything else you want to know/test let me know. i went to try those test utilities at MonitorsDirect.com but they didn't work. apparently they couldn't detect correctly what my native screen resolution was..
Have you tried Nokia test ? Google for Nokia test. :) This is not specifically for LCD display but I find it great to test for bad pixels, colour unifority, and some other aspects. ;)

Cheers.

Woodchuck,

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful monitor...

The pics confirmed that the SDM-P234B doesn't use the XBRITE technology. XBRITE tech displays have a glossy surface, which some dislike because of increased reflection. Personally, I am sold on this technology. Does anyone know if SONY will release a 23" display with XBRITE?

TheGameguru said:
Is the stand adjustable? Pivot? Tilt?

yes. very.

Tilt Range: -5° to +30°
Swivel Range: 350°
Ergonomic Set Height

edit: sorry. i read the question incorrectly. pivot = teh noes. height adjustment = Ergonomic Set Height = teh noes.

i am very curious about this XBRITE technology. hmm...
somehow, i assume if it was implemented in the larger panels, it would astronomically increase the price range.

I'm very, very interested in this monitor. I was thinking about the HP alot, but after seeing this, I'm reconsidering. I've always loved Sony products and this one should be no different.

Thanks for the pics and info everyone!

Beautiful pics! At under $1800, this seems like the 23" LCD to get (with the cheaper but uglier HP probably a close second). Now If I can only justify spending almost two grand on a monitor... :eek:

How is the picture quality of the Sony compared to the HP L2335?
A couple advantages I've noticed with the HP is that its cheaper, PiP, and hdtv.

Jawad said:
How is the picture quality of the Sony compared to the HP L2335?
A couple advantages I've noticed with the HP is that its cheaper, PiP, and hdtv.

i liked the additional features of the l2335, which is the only aspect that surpassed the p234 aside from affordability. the picture quality is indentical as far as i can perceive.

the p234 has two d-sub/hd15/vga along with the dvi-d input; and a bizarre audio in/audio out connection, i assume to serve as a stereo audio hub.

the only reason why i switched was due to aethetics. the plastic silver bezel of the hp bothered me. the silver on the p234 stand is brushed metal.

great pics welcomerain!

what game and movie is that shown in your pics?

i am still doing more testing and calibration and tweaking. plus i have to get my new rig fixed... there is something wrong when hooking up this LCD on that, because it looks great and way better when hooked up to my old Win2k & Geforce3 card.

when everything is fixed on my new system i will post some more objective tests. but overall there is nothing wrong with my LCD, no bright spots, no weird screen door effects, no dead pixels... etc.. no physical/technical flaws as far as i can tell. (i freaked out yesterday when what i thought was a dead pixel turned out to be a spec of dust, lol!)...

does anyone know of any us-online store that ships to europe (sweden)? i can't find this display in any swedish stores.

i want one so bad. ;)

iori yagami said:
does anyone know of any us-online store that ships to europe (sweden)? i can't find this display in any swedish stores.

i want one so bad. ;)

techonweb.com ships internationally. that's where i got mine :)

APOLLO said:
Woodchuck,

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful monitor...

The pics confirmed that the SDM-P234B doesn't use the XBRITE technology. XBRITE tech displays have a glossy surface, which some dislike because of increased reflection. Personally, I am sold on this technology. Does anyone know if SONY will release a 23" display with XBRITE?

i'm with you on XBrite. i've seen the screen in person on a TR series notebook and was blown away. the love the brightness because it makes the colors so vibrant, and it makes the screen look more like a CRT screen rather than an LCD screen. the increased reflection does not bother me at all.

i was hoping to find a 20"+ 1600x1200+ XBrite LCD but too bad they don't exist yet. i've also noticed the response times of XBrite screens are lower than regular LCD screens.

Woodchuck, can you tell how much you have payed for it and where you live?
I'm also interested in that shop. Did you pay a lot of tax to import it? And what do you do if something goes wrong? Send it back to the shop or directly to sony (if they except to work directly with you)?
Thx.

I would go out and rob a bank this afternoon just to buy this Sony if, ONLY IF, it pivots. I need that portrait mode so bad. I know the HP pivots but somehow I don't like it too much.

Back