Stay away from Programming in C (3rd Edition)

That guy writes a lot of troll reviews... you can check his history...

Pretty funny though.

having almost written a device driver I can tell the "reviewer" has no idea what he is talking about and is just making up a bunch of shit

having almost written a device driver I can tell the "reviewer" has no idea what he is talking about and is just making up a bunch of shit

Yet people still buy the book, so really, he may be full of shit but also of money.

LOL I love troll reviews, it's just so funny. His other reviews are pretty funny too.

I don't understand why people don't get banned from Amazon's review system for writing troll reviews. They have comedic value, but they're degrading to the reputations of the works in question. This stuff should stick to forums and such, not a store. This guy is a "professional" troll reviewer, as anyone can tell by looking at his profile for a moment.

Also, I don't really understand the point of writing troll reviews for products like this. Why not troll products that are actually crap? Or, better yet, leave genuine crappy (yet amusing) reviews for genuinely crappy products.

I don't understand why people don't get banned from Amazon's review system for writing troll reviews. They have comedic value, but they're degrading to the reputations of the works in question. This stuff should stick to forums and such, not a store. This guy is a "professional" troll reviewer, as anyone can tell by looking at his profile for a moment.

Also, I don't really understand the point of writing troll reviews for products like this. Why not troll products that are actually crap? Or, better yet, leave genuine crappy (yet amusing) reviews for genuinely crappy products.

Even as much as we all hate the troll reviews, it is best they do not get banned or removed. Why? Because censorship is simply wrong in all forms, especially when it comes to books. What is helpful in these situations is the peer review feature as you notice at the top over half the users found the review "unhelpful", this is what is important. The person, no matter how crazy, is entitled to their opinion, even if it is verifiable as false.

This of course is completely different from spam reviews as they are not truly reviews and cleaning them out helps everyone.

Even as much as we all hate the troll reviews, it is best they do not get banned or removed. Why? Because censorship is simply wrong in all forms, especially when it comes to books. What is helpful in these situations is the peer review feature as you notice at the top over half the users found the review "unhelpful", this is what is important. The person, no matter how crazy, is entitled to their opinion, even if it is verifiable as false.

This of course is completely different from spam reviews as they are not truly reviews and cleaning them out helps everyone.

Really? This is Amazon, a corporation, not America: Land of the Free Online (TM). You can get banned from [H] for making disruptive or trollish comments. It doesn't stop you from reading the posts, checking out reviews at [H]OCP, clicking the ads or otherwise benefiting from the services provided. If you run an online product or service where people pay you to curate their reputations (this is partly what a store is) you have a responsibility to do it properly. You might be entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to post it on my resources that I pay for, and that others pay me to curate, if your whole aim is to troll. Note, please, that I am not referring to genuinely negative reviews, but specifically to users who have gone out of their way to degrade the quality of the store for everyone else, purely for their own amusement. This is about the individual, not their opinion.

When stupid people post retarded reviews like that, why not just report the reviews?

I went through the list of his reviews and reported all but one of them.

When stupid people post retarded reviews like that, why not just report the reviews?

I went through the list of his reviews and reported all but one of them.

Why? Don't have a sense of humor?

Trolls are fine, but only when they do it in style. He's pretty good at it.

Also, Amazon does not seem to care. They removed a few comments from his reviews, but not the reviews... Maybe they only remove for the language, who knows.

Do you really think someone looking for a programming book is going to read that review and be like "wow I better not buy this book, look what happened to this guy"? If you remove this review, where does it stop? Manufacturers left and right will be complaining "these reviews are clearly fake, our product isn't THAT bad," etc.

Why? Don't have a sense of humor?

Trolls are fine, but only when they do it in style. He's pretty good at it.

Also, Amazon does not seem to care. They removed a few comments from his reviews, but not the reviews... Maybe they only remove for the language, who knows.

While fake reviews are funny sometimes, when a person ONLY writes fake reviews for items they obviously didn't purchase, then they need to be banned.

Not only does it make it necessary to wade through reviews and try to discern what are real reviews and what are fake, it skews the actual rating of the item.

I haven't read his other reviews but this one is pretty funny. There is no way anyone would take this review seriously, it doesn't harm the book.

Edit: Ok I am mistaken, I just went back and read the replies to his review. Apparently many people are too dumb to see it is a joke.

Last edited:
Troll reviews can hurt an item's sales if its relatively new or unknown and not too popular. But in a case like this where the book is a legend and no one with half a brain is going to take this seriously, its harmless and comedy gold.

But if you really thought this was serious, then you have no business being a programmer :) So in a way the review will filter the wannabe's !

Oh -- I meant a real book. But I guess it's just the same: what happens when someone starts stuffing it with irrelevant reviews? Is their disruption of your work's presentation to the public still "just for laughs"?

Back