Survey of 32" 1080p monitors

playing 16:9 game or movie on 30 inch monitor gives you black bars, so actual screen size is smaller than actual 30".
But on 32" TV, it is full screen with 16:9 rez. So it will look so much bigger on TV than monitor.
What I'm saying is that 32" TV has some kind of (size) advantage on multimedia usage.

But anyway 30" monitor has way bigger rez, so it's up to you how you're gonna use the screen for.
Multimedia =32" Full HD TV
Graphic design, artist or something that requires bigger space to work on the screen= 30" LCD Monitor

So I hadn't even considered the panasonics, but reading more about them, I think I might wait to see how their 1080p 100hz 32" incher(TX-32LZD85) turns out to be in april. The guys over at AVSforum seem to like the 'panny's as well, so thats encouraging.

but im wondering if the 100hz is really that big of a deal for an LCD

playing 16:9 game or movie on 30 inch monitor gives you black bars, so actual screen size is smaller than actual 30".
But on 32" TV, it is full screen with 16:9 rez. So it will look so much bigger on TV than monitor.
What I'm saying is that 32" TV has some kind of (size) advantage on multimedia usage.

But anyway 30" monitor has way bigger rez, so it's up to you how you're gonna use the screen for.
Multimedia =32" Full HD TV
Graphic design, artist or something that requires bigger space to work on the screen= 30" LCD Monitor

To be exact, displaying 16:9 source material letterboxed on a 30" 16:10 (actual 29.772") display, results in an image of 28.967" diagonal Vs. the same source on a 32" 16:9 display that gives an actual 31.65" diagonal, for a 9.2% difference. That's significant, but perhaps not overwhelmingly so. On the other hand, if you're displaying 4:3 source material, the tables get turned. The 32" 16:9 monitor would display a window-boxed image of 25.92" diagonal, while the 30" 16:10 monitor would display the same source window-boxed to 26.299". Advantage 30". Let's not even start with idiot stretching 16:9 to 16:10 and 4:3 to 16:9 or 16:10.

O.O.

Who was the individual that said they bought the toshiba? When they get it in the mail and review it they will be my favorite person! Hopefully its a good review!!!!

Allright, I bit the bullet. Should be coming in early next week. :)(POSTED 3/13/08)

Hey there. Tried the display yet? Hopefully the reason you haven't posted a review yet because you passed out at the sight of the displays awesomeness. :p

So, my 32RV530U came in the mail yesterday. Was using it at 1280 by 1024 since my dvi-hdmi cable hadn't arrived yet and I wasn't about to go to bestbuy to spend $50 on it. Received the cable today and hooked it up.

At first, it looked horribly fuzzy. Tried to play with the settings and it didn't improve much. Then I discovered the different modes and changed it from "Standard" to "PC" and bam, perfect picture. My eyes were just starting to hurt too so it was good timing. So, since I don't want to give any wrong impressions, I'll use it for the next day or two and try to figure out all of the features and maybe do some testing and get back to you guys.

But so far so good. 1080p movies are absolutely gorgeous! Sound is pretty nice for mids and highs but has absolutely no base. Although I absolutely love being able to change the volume with the remote control instead of having to click a number of times with my mouse. Blacks on the TV are incredibly deep, a lot deeper than on my hanns-g and whites look white even at 40% brightness/backlight. Viewing angles are perfect, a hell of a lot better then my old 19" TN hanns-g. It has glossy finish so looking at it from more then 30-50% will reflect whatever's in the room though. The design is absolutely beautiful though, my roomates were incredibly jealous.

The TV tuner doesn't seem to be too strong. I'm at college and we're splitting the cable 5 ways and I'm towards the end of the line so my TV tuner card was getting lots of distortions and snow but when I hooked it directly to the TV, it was like 5x worse. So you need a strong TV signal if you're trying to use it w/ coax.

The size is absolutely perfect. 37" would've been too big. Games are gorgeous but my OC 8800gt can't play COD4 maxed out at 1080p so that sux... need to drop the AA to 2x. The perfect distance seems to be 2.5' for computer use, at which the text seems to be as crisp as my 19" Hanns-G. I have better then 20/20 vision btw.

I'll be back with more technical details tomorrow. Def recommend for now. Bought it for $850 delivered but would've payed a bit more. Btw, a very positive review to beachaudio.com, they were nice throughout the whole process and shipped it in 3 days flat from CA to MD.

Sweet Icec0ol!
Thanks for your post.
I can't wait to get this tv. but in canada no one is selling it.
crap...

Can't seem to find any reviews at all for this monitor, anyone know of any?

So, my 32RV530U came in the mail yesterday. Was using it at 1280 by 1024 since my dvi-hdmi cable hadn't arrived yet and I wasn't about to go to bestbuy to spend $50 on it. Received the cable today and hooked it up.

At first, it looked horribly fuzzy. Tried to play with the settings and it didn't improve much. Then I discovered the different modes and changed it from "Standard" to "PC" and bam, perfect picture. My eyes were just starting to hurt too so it was good timing. So, since I don't want to give any wrong impressions, I'll use it for the next day or two and try to figure out all of the features and maybe do some testing and get back to you guys.

But so far so good. 1080p movies are absolutely gorgeous! Sound is pretty nice for mids and highs but has absolutely no base. Although I absolutely love being able to change the volume with the remote control instead of having to click a number of times with my mouse. Blacks on the TV are incredibly deep, a lot deeper than on my hanns-g and whites look white even at 40% brightness/backlight. Viewing angles are perfect, a hell of a lot better then my old 19" TN hanns-g. It has glossy finish so looking at it from more then 30-50% will reflect whatever's in the room though. The design is absolutely beautiful though, my roomates were incredibly jealous.

The TV tuner doesn't seem to be too strong. I'm at college and we're splitting the cable 5 ways and I'm towards the end of the line so my TV tuner card was getting lots of distortions and snow but when I hooked it directly to the TV, it was like 5x worse. So you need a strong TV signal if you're trying to use it w/ coax.

The size is absolutely perfect. 37" would've been too big. Games are gorgeous but my OC 8800gt can't play COD4 maxed out at 1080p so that sux... need to drop the AA to 2x. The perfect distance seems to be 2.5' for computer use, at which the text seems to be as crisp as my 19" Hanns-G. I have better then 20/20 vision btw.

I'll be back with more technical details tomorrow. Def recommend for now. Bought it for $850 delivered but would've payed a bit more. Btw, a very positive review to beachaudio.com, they were nice throughout the whole process and shipped it in 3 days flat from CA to MD.

Been through 3 large LCDs recently...probably the 4065F Samsung will be a keeper...(though it has an annoying buzz I sometimes hear...)

I'd suggest considering a 40 inch model if at all possible. More to chose from....

And I'd be weary of banding on the Sharp sets, which was a deal breaker for me...

Exactly. I saw the banding issue and jumped ship. I've seen nothing but posivite reviews on samsungs. Heck my work has 5 50" LCD's just hanging around. :D

Maybe he could make a seperate thread just reviewing the toshiba and to all those who want more information about it and whoever gets theirs!!

I might be in for one =)

While the Toshiba seems great for at price point I cannot seem to find it's listed static/Dynamic contrast ratio anywhere, not that matters too much as the latest lcd tv's around this range that I have seen have very impressive blacks. However, the thing with new monitors/LCD sets is that you can never know how good they are, or if they are plagued by any issues until you see them in person, read a review or hear other purchasers experiences. So many tiny issues can throw off a set. i,e: Will it have back light bleed issues, color temp issues, overscan, text reproduction issues, etc.Buying a set this new online wouldn't be the best thing. I wish they had them out at CC and best buy due to the 30 day easy return policy in case I came across any small issues, However who knows if they'll even be in stock at these stores.

After reading about whats going to come out in late 2008 to early 2009, I might have to wait this year out. 100,000:1 contrast ratio with LED back lighting... Damn. Definitely waiting this year out. I know, everybody is going to say then if you wait till 2009, something great will come out in 2010, and you'll keep waiting. I consider LED backlighting to be a huge upgrade so I wouldn't mind the wait. Plus, I'm a college student so its probably smarter to wait till I graduate before I jump in. At least I have something to look forward to. :D

After reading about whats going to come out in late 2008 to early 2009, I might have to wait this year out. 100,000:1 contrast ratio with LED back lighting... Damn. Definitely waiting this year out. I know, everybody is going to say then if you wait till 2009, something great will come out in 2010, and you'll keep waiting. I consider LED backlighting to be a huge upgrade so I wouldn't mind the wait. Plus, I'm a college student so its probably smarter to wait till I graduate before I jump in. At least I have something to look forward to. :D

The problem is LED Backlit TVs are too expensive :mad:

DanCar, why did you have to paste your last link?
I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat. I've been eager to pull the trigger on the toshiba, but now I'm wondering about LED, dual HD tuner, lower power consumption, etc... I think I'm going to wait and see just how expensive next year's models are. I already have several LCD's anyways.

Oh sweet 32" 1080p thread do not fall into obscurity!

Actually that 37" 1080p toshiba is looking like a good deal for 1099. considering the sharp 32" is around 1200 and the samsung 32" is probably going to be similar priced. Unless it totally sucks, I think I might be going for that one. Wonder how it compares to the westinghouse 37"

Any more updates on your toshiba sets, people?

Oh sweet 32" 1080p thread do not fall into obscurity!

Actually that 37" 1080p toshiba is looking like a good deal for 1099. considering the sharp 32" is around 1200 and the samsung 32" is probably going to be similar priced. Unless it totally sucks, I think I might be going for that one. Wonder how it compares to the westinghouse 37"

Any more updates on your toshiba sets, people?
Amazon just lowered the price on a Toshiba 42" to $950: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA-42HL167-1080p-HDTV/dp/B000MXYD0I
They are going to go out fast.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4225598

The new a550 samsung 1080p 37" is available for pre-order at j&r so im thinking the 32" should be show up pretty soon. 30000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 5ms. that contrast ratio is much better than the sharp and the 32" is going to be less too judging from thte price of the 37". input lag is my only concern for the samsung.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4225598

The new a550 samsung 1080p 37" is available for pre-order at j&r so im thinking the 32" should be show up pretty soon. 30000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 5ms. that contrast ratio is much better than the sharp and the 32" is going to be less too judging from thte price of the 37". input lag is my only concern for the samsung.

Crutchfield already has them in stock

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=146350&i=305LN37550&tp=161

Is there an industry standard how to measure dynamic contrast ratio? I don't think so, so marketing managers just invent a number that will sell. Similar story for contrast ratio. I think response times are also exaggerated, but hopefully I'm wrong.

ahh. one nice thing about J&R is i can go there in person and see the sets, which i plan to do once all the models im waiting for are out.

Yeah same here , ill go look at sets there and then order from Crutchfield( free delivery,no tax and they have good customer service)

I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat. I've been eager to pull the trigger on the toshiba, but now I'm wondering about LED, dual HD tuner, lower power consumption, etc... I think I'm going to wait and see just how expensive next year's models are. I already have several LCD's anyways.
Another nice thing about next years sets is that won't have an NTSC tuner that is going to be useless after Feb 19 next year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsc_tuner#Analog_TV_broadcast_switch-off

Is there an industry standard how to measure dynamic contrast ratio? I don't think so, so marketing managers just invent a number that will sell. Similar story for contrast ratio. I think response times are also exaggerated, but hopefully I'm wrong.

No standard; they claim whatever they want.

Try going to BestBuy or Circuit City and looking at the LN40A550. They really are impressive. It is kinda hard to believe you are looking at a LCD. I read somewhere that the smaller panels will not be as good, but I would still like to check them out.

Dave

No standard; they claim whatever they want.

Try going to BestBuy or Circuit City and looking at the LN40A550. They really are impressive. It is kinda hard to believe you are looking at a LCD. I read somewhere that the smaller panels will not be as good, but I would still like to check them out.

Dave

Has anyone confirmed the smaller 1080P models will have Samsung panels?

http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20080401PD217.html

Sharp's 32-inch LCD TV panel output will grow from 400,000 units to 600,000 units, a production scale that is similar to that of rivals such as AU Optronics (AUO) and Samsung Electronics. In addition to these players, S-LCD is also said to have recently started ramping its proportion for 32-inch LCD TV panels, said the industry players.

From the downstream point of view, branded players including LG, Samsung and Sony, are all growing their exposure to the 32-inch LCD TV segment to drive overall sales, a factor which is motivating panel makers to grow their supply

nice. i also saw a very nice affordable 1080 40" sony at costco the other day :D

Back