Swap your crappy mogul for a brand new Touch Pro

mpichescs

Limp Gawd
I can't stand my Sprint mogul anymore. There's a bright spot in lower corner, the talk button doesn't work, random freezes, wifi doesn't work, keyboard is laggy ETC. It's a piece of crap and I thought I would be stuck with it for yet another 6 months until my contract was up. And then I stumbled along this little nugget:

Self Service Repair Solutions

The catch is it costs $55. If you have the $7 TEP plan then its FREE.

If your mogul is malfunctioning, go here and write about the problems you have. Once you do, they will tell you what phone they are willing to send you to replace your mogul. Now I have heard mixed responses on what Sprint offered (some people would be offered a refurb mogul, a refurb touch pro, or brand new touch pro) and people would repeat the process a few times until they got the touch pro or would try again another day. I was offered the Touch Pro the first time and as proof I was sent this email:

Dear Valued Sprint Customer:

We would like to thank you for your recent Phone Replacement Order, and apologize for the
problems you are experiencing with your phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Summary:
Order Number: ****
Wireless Phone Number: ****

NOTE: Please keep this Order Number for your records, as it will be needed in the event
you wish to check the status of your order during the return process.

Defective Phone Information:
Model Name: UTSTAR PPC6800 QWERTY CAM
Serial Number: ****

Replacement Phone Information:
Model Name: UTStarcom Touch Pro Handset Kit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Replacement orders are shipped via UPS standard overnight. Please allow
2 - 3 business days for arrival of your Phone Replacement shipment.
Return Instructions:

As a friendly reminder, please be sure to return your defective phone to us within 15
days to avoid a non-refundable charge to your Sprint account of $50 - $200, depending on
the phone model.

- Note: In addition to the charges above, Sprint reserves the right to charge an
additional fee of $75-$125 for phones that are found to either be damaged beyond
repair or exhibit no sign of defect.

Thank you,
Sprint Device Support

Please note that this message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot
accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

As you can see in the Return Instructions section there is a second catch. Lemme make this loud and clear:
YOUR MOGUL HAS TO BE MALFUNCTIONING TO AVOID EXTRA CHARGES

This isn't exactly new, so if its a repeat I apologize. I'll try to add more info/answer questions after class.

An update: I ordered it yesterday about 2 pm and I got the delivery today at 1. Thats some sweet service. It almost makes up for the terrible coverage in my area :)

e: I forgot to mention next to the touch pro box was smaller box... a free extra battery! :D

Well I'm giving it a try. The jog dial button hasn't worked in months and is a total pain in the rear. It said I'm gettng a Touch Pro (hopefully new). We'll see what happens :)

And they wonder why Sprint has no money. LOL.

I get to wait till October to upgrade my 6800 to a Touch Pro.

My wife has told me we will be looking to AT&T when the contract is up. Don't actually remember when. We did get a call from Sprint Customer Service indicating we could upgrade all of our phones with huge discounts, but that would require another two year commitment. We'll see what happens when the contract is up

Well I'm giving it a try. The jog dial button hasn't worked in months and is a total pain in the rear. It said I'm gettng a Touch Pro (hopefully new). We'll see what happens :)

If your email matches the one I posted youll get a brand new retail box one with an extra battery. And youll get it the very next day. Good luck!

Awesome! I'm going to give this a try. Mine freezes all the time and keyboard is laggy as hell. I have the insurance on it, so here's to hoping I can get one free!

Glad i'm not the only one having issues with a Mogul.

A few weeks ago the talk button stopped working completely and now the other face buttons randomly work or don't, not sure why.

The big thing though is that when I do a hard reset (power off then on) it turns on into a screen with 4 colored lines and TITA100 SPL-2.07.000 CPLD-9 and then i have to pull the damn battery off and reset it that way to get normal use again.

Oy. Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome. I should be getting a Touch Pro soon! It's free since I have the insurance! This is great because I could of used a new phone! I always wanted a Touch Pro, and getting one free is awesome!

I can't even do a hard reset on mine. I have to take the battery out and replace it to get it to work. I have to do that once or twice a day, unless I'm off of work I don't even touch my cell.

I got mine (ordered Friday and arrived on Monday). It was BRAND new with the spare battery!!!

dammit, i need to do this. is a broken button enough? what else can i do to make the device malfunction?

I got mine today! Placed the report on Sunday and here on Tuesday. At work now and pretty busy but when I get time I'm gonna go mess with the Pro. Thanks a bunch OP!

dammit, i need to do this. is a broken button enough? what else can i do to make the device malfunction?

Possibly. When you go through the process they ask for the main problem and then give you space to describe it and/or others. I chose that option (and then had a field day explaining other issues) so I bet its good enough.

Honestly i'm surprised thats the only problem youre having. Good luck!

Anyway, anyone with a brand new Touch Pro (and now I know there are some out there) going to try different ROMs out? I haven't yet to be honest but when I find some time I might try one or two. If anyone does try something out lemme know how it goes.

I sumbitted a replacement request and also got a brand new Touch Pro three days later! It came with a 1GB MicroSD card, extra battery and other normal accesories. This phone is so much nicer than the Mogul, thanks for the link!

my mogul has had a bright spot in the corner for months, wonder if that is enough reason to get a replacement, there is a repair center down the road from me it tells me.. suppose I could stop by there and see what they say.

I tried filing a claim online, it says it will be replaced with a remanufactured mogul, so I did not finish the claim.. did it tell you this when you guys filed online also?

it keeps saying my replacement model will be a mogul. tried a couple times - no luck

I tried filing a claim online, it says it will be replaced with a remanufactured mogul, so I did not finish the claim.. did it tell you this when you guys filed online also?

it keeps saying my replacement model will be a mogul. tried a couple times - no luck

Maybe it's a stock issue at Sprint? I would try again the next day.

Again, thanks for this information. I really love my Touch Pro.

Glad someone else could benefit I love my new phone too :cool:

before sending in your mogul should you put a stock rom back on it? I have a dcd 3.3.4 rom on my phone.

After trying since the 12th, i finally get my touch pro. Thanks! WHOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

before sending in your mogul should you put a stock rom back on it? I have a dcd 3.3.4 rom on my phone.

Just to be safe I would flash it back. I dont think they could pull a "well you voided the warrenty..." thing here but I would do it just in case.

That's what it just told me. I also did not go through with it, in hopes that their Mogul stock will deplete.

Back