Tainted ram?

FRZ

2[H]4U
After an hour with intel reps I received an rma for my processor but here's the curious thing. They claim my ram killed my CPU, and blatenly stated that since most ram is rated to have the ability to run at higher volts and speeds, most ram is automatically incompatible with the core i7 1366 procs. Here's the ram I used

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254

Ran at stock speeds except for some mild initial over clocking for kicks, but that was months ago.

After the system starting acting up I tested the ram with a stick of corsair ddr3 model tr3x6g1600c9. When I told them about this they claimed this ram was also incompatible even though it is claimed to be perfect for the i7 x58 platform by corsair. At the end of the convo I asked if basically what they're saying is that only low end ram that is rated at 1066 is compatible, and all other ram will eventually kill the CPU and they're answer was just a plain yes. Am I missing something here? I also asked why would corsair sell ram that intel claims is incompatible yet corsair themselves mark it as x58 ram and they stated that they are not responsible for what corsair claims. :confused:

Intel states that using memory voltage over 1.65v will permanently damage Core i7 LGA1366 CPUs. The RAM you linked is 1.6v, so if you ran it at spec voltage you are well within the limits of the CPU's tolerance. This is why it pays to do your homework before you contact tech support - so that when they try to bend you over while stating "this is our policy" you have some way to resist. Call them back and demand RMA.

Epic thread title BTW :D

They are sending me an rma, I was just baffled at what I was hearing and wanted to make sure if there was any credibilty to what they were saying. They plainly stated that all these rams that are being sold are ruining systems

It caused a lot of commotion when it was revealed shortly before the i7's came out...glad to hear you have a replacement on the way! That kit should definitely not have killed your i7 running at stock volts :\

As long as the DRAM cotrolelr voltage and the RAM voltage are within 0.5v of each other you should be fine. This is even listed in the updated tech docs on Intel's web site.

You don't have to change the DRAM controller voltage to keep within this range until you go over 1.65v.

As long as you are within that range and keep the CPU from overheating, you should be fine. Most CPUs do not need much of a boost in the DRAM core voltage unless you are trying to run right around 200bclk or higher. Anything below 180-190bclk generally will work fine with the DRAM controller at stock voltage.

Thanks for all your input guys, I had never dealed with intel support before, very unprofessional. In the end in getting a new CPU, but this experience definitely left a bad taste.

Just curious though, any good ram out there I could replace the gskills with. 6gb kits look like they have dropped in price quite a bit and i figured might as well get some better timings

I would not bother replacing the ram. Just remember not to mess with the memory voltage.

Back