The Great Xbox 360 Repair Debacle, Been waiting over a month for your console?

Speaking of MS reps.. something lately pissing me off is all of the misinformed retailers out there trying to push that the 360 is so much better reliability wise. I have been to many a store where employees claimied either to myself or other customers that the ps3 has had a significantly higher failure rate than the xbox 360. I can't believe these tools call themselves "gamers" working in a video game store spreading biased misinformation like that.

:end rant:

That being said, my new 360 has warranty until July 2008 and I plan to extend it for $24.99/year as long as I own it... My ps3 I am not in the least bit worried about *knocks on wood*

What stores has this happened at?

In my experience, stores are generally telling people the 360 breaks a lot so that they get more warranty sales.

Wonder if they are being paid to say they are reliable and stuff ;). I think the mainstream are going to find out sooner or later about the failures and it going to make an impact on sales most likely.

conker are you the guy who posted this article over in hexus.net?
That would be Parm (the author of the article) as he's been a member of Hexus for quite a while before being an administrator on the we play X-box site.

And he hasn't had a console back yet (at least I haven't seen him logged in on my friends list)

thought so because i browse that forum too. i sent mine nearly 3 weeks ago and i have not heard fuck all from MS

GOOD news(for me anyway) after nearly 3 months without a working 360(send it back twice) behold i finaly recieved a 360 that actualy works AND has the new HEATSINK. i played on it for over 2 hours and not one single crash!!

finaly i can get back into gaming has i so dearly missed this has my pc cant play none of the latest games out there. now its time to purchase bioshock hehe. good luck to the people who are waiting for a new 360.

o and btw the manifacturing date of mine is 2005 december time LOL. looks like they modded it to include the new heatsink. hope it runs fine for years to come and that i NEVER see that red ring of crap again

I heard theres a recall on overheating xbox racing wheels where the power supply inside may cause a fire but thats mostly it these days lol.

2 months old... this is questionable.

might as well add on that my 360 has been running great for 11 months. I'm a satisfied customer

On my third, and apparently, doing the opposite of what I would normally do with the first two, I put it high off the ground, where it's a lot warmer than lower levels. Haven't had a ring of death in months, but the GPU sometimes won't display anything. Bring it down to a lower level, all hell breaks loose. I would normally send it in, but Halo 3 is coming and last time I did send it in, it took 45 days to get back to me, and they sent my console to the wrong address in a different city.

You know, my first experience with Xbox Support was a great one, the woman I talked to spoke clearly, got stuff done quickly, and even engaged in some banter about video games while she was waiting for systems to load. The second time, about a year later, the guy I talked to could barely understand English, and took 30 mins to get everything setup. Third time, same English difficulties, I asked if there were any costs, the woman says no, and after getting everything setup, she goes: Oh, by the way sir, your bill is $140 USD, I go, what? You said there was no cost, and now I have to pay? (Apparently my warranty expired the day before.) I cancelled everything and my console got better.

Is it me, or is Xbox Support being outsourced and going down the drain?

Is it me, or is Xbox Support being outsourced and going down the drain?
Sadly there are so few companies that have proper call centres these days. You keep hoping that they'll realise they're pissing their customers off but customer satisfaction is so hard to measure in numbers. :(

What's funny to me is that the guy in the OP didn't get help till the situation was out in the public view and where it could get bad publicity for MS. It's great that he got the help, but the situation should have been taken care of long before it got to that point imho.
As for the PS3 reliability, i take those rumors with a grain of salt unless it's from a very reliable source. And the PS3 DOES have some good games. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others won't. To each their own i guess.
Most people in the electronics sections of the major retailer's seem to barely know how to tie their own shoes, much less give good info on consoles or games. There's the occasional good and knowledgable ones, but they are in the minority though. At least thats been my own experience so far. :D

I didn't know that you could do that. I was planning on repairing it myself. It voids the warranty, but it works.

Yea, Major Nelson, I talked to him once. He also escalated my problem. Know what that did? Jack S#*&! im still out $75.

I sent in my xbox and was expecting a 2 month wait from the stories i have read on the intranets. I was pleasantly surprised when i called a week into it and got the message that my xbox had been repaired and was on its way back. Even more pleasantness when it arrived, and i got that new electronics smell as soon as i opened the box. They sent me a new 360 with a manufacture sticker of 8-17-07. Though it does have the new heatsink, it also had the Hitachi drive and did not have HDMI, so i'm guessing it was remanufactured and relabeled with a new sticker. But you can't have it all. Overall i was happy as hell with the whole process. Big ups to MS from me!!!

i just sent mine back yet again this week :mad: mine had the new heatsink yet it still got the 3 red lights

I never stated that I had trouble believing it. Honestly, I don't. What I had a problem with was that it was beginning to look like a friggin smear campaign- there were 3 posts up at the time all against the 360 and all by Conker.

... that I have a problem with.
you stupid mother fucker how is it a smear campaign when customers are getting completely ripped off?

i bought my first xbox a few months after launch and it lasted me less than a month. i returned it to target vowing not to support MS and 360.

i finally broke down when gears of war came out and trotted to circuit city to purchase another 360 in hopes that the hardware had improved.

that console lasted 2 days past my retail warranty and it has been hell ever since.

after dealing with piss poor customer service, being called a liar, being forced to fax my proof of purchase, being told that I had to pay shipping on a month old piece of hardware......IT GETS OLD.......after finally getting my "repaired" console back it lasted 6 months and broke AGAIN. i'm now waiting for my FOURTH xbox to return from a "repair" center.

get off of your high horse you piece of shit....you post nothing but condescending jibber on these forums. grow the fuck up.

and yes i'm cussing because your attitude is irritating to say the least.

you stupid mother fucker how is it a smear campaign when customers are getting completely ripped off?

i bought my first xbox a few months after launch and it lasted me less than a month. i returned it to target vowing not to support MS and 360.

i finally broke down when gears of war came out and trotted to circuit city to purchase another 360 in hopes that the hardware had improved.

that console lasted 2 days past my retail warranty and it has been hell ever since.

after dealing with piss poor customer service, being called a liar, being forced to fax my proof of purchase, being told that I had to pay shipping on a month old piece of hardware......IT GETS OLD.......after finally getting my "repaired" console back it lasted 6 months and broke AGAIN. i'm now waiting for my FOURTH xbox to return from a "repair" center.

get off of your high horse you piece of shit....you post nothing but condescending jibber on these forums. grow the fuck up.

and yes i'm cussing because your attitude is irritating to say the least.

Nice post and i totaly agree with you. the 360 is a pile of shit made by 10 year olds. having a 360 is a total nightmare plus the fact there realy is no alternative consoles out there worth purchasing, i swear if the ps3 had alot of great titles like the 360 i would of got that instead. at least that doesnt brake:rolleyes:

Back