The "How Do You Prounounce SATA" Thread, Back in Black

How Do You Pronounce "SATA"?

• Total voters
broberts said:
Good questions? Also what about BASIC, DOS, FORTRAN, COBOL, RAM, DASD?

I was working in Personal Computer Disk Operating System Version 7 just this morning.

I say it Say - Tuh or Serial ATA. When talking fast and to people who understand 100% I say Say-tuh just because it requires a lot of effort to say Serial ATA.

Heh, I voted Santa minus the N simply because that's how it reads in spanish... My english is pretty darn fluent but I still tend to read most acronyms as if I'm reading spanish for some reason.

What I remember hearing the most is Serial ATA... Say - Tuh having 30% of the votes surprises me.

Just for the record, I do pronounce SLI as well, just as if I was reading it in spanish too. :p (si + an L in the middle? 'slee' I guess) SCSI's pronunciation kinda makes some sense if you speak spanish as well, though I doubt it originated due to that.

On the other hand, while I do pronounce DOS I used to hear it spelled out most of the time... Which makes absolutely no sense, I guess since it actually IS a word (number) in spanish it might've gotten confusing, heh.

S A T A, with a slight pause between the S and a ATA. Here is how I look at it. When talking with people who are relatively familiar with computers, like my mom, I can say DOS or LASER and they know what the fuck I'm talking about. On the other hand, If I tell my mom something about a scuzzy or saytah HDD, she would think I'm talking gibberish or referring to the HDD being dirty. By using the letters from the acronym, she know's I am using an acronym and can ask for an explanation.

Also, I think some words just sound too stupid to use. Honestly, just hearing a word like saytah or sahtah or nub would infuriate me. I had a university instructor who was talking about databases and kept pronoucing "query" like kwary. I had to leave the room.

I use both S-A-T-A and Serial ATA interchangeably, but I often say Serial ATA more because it sounds less confusing when talking about a million other abbreviated computer components.

serbiaNem said:
Let's not start with pronounciations, it really makes no difference. Do you say exe file as eeksee? Somethings just sound better in letter form. Say-ta sounds the swiftest to me, but I do on occasion say Serial ATA, they both work fine, and neither is really wrong.

I always called '.exe' files ' dot x files', always heard that done like that too.

I do S - A - T - A beceause I had always said A - T - A before. I also say E - S - A - T - A the few situations that comes up.

My friend always pronounced SCSI as 'sexy'.

I typically spell it out. S.A.T.A. Over the radio that would be Sierra Alfa Tango Alfa.

Mmmm DOS .exe's...

-dB

ValeX said:
i get a kick out of those REALLy nerdy people who obviously spent too much time on MSN and say "lol" in real life, only they saw "lawl" as if its a word, one kid in my school actually said that!!!! his face turned all red and everyone laughed at him, but it was awesome.

ValeX
I have a friend who does that on purpose.
Aff, lol, "bee-are-bee", ...kaplah...

oh, and santa -n.

(cf)Eclipse said:

This pronounciation stuff gets pretty weird. :D

I've even heard some people pronounce nVidia "navidia". When it comes down to it (to me) if it's more than 3 letters, and it can be properly passed on as a word, then might as well say it! (with the exception of DOS and some others) I wouldn't mind saying "say-tah", but I'm just not used to saying it like that.

Until SATA becomes standard, I'm going to stick with "Serial A.T.A." for now.

wow lets see I say lol like lawl and I say ROFL like Rawfull. and I say ROFLCopter and Lolerskates and for the win and for the loss and I say owned and pwned and lets see I say Serial ATA and IDE and I seem to call everyone I know jewish, like dude stop being jewish. and I like to call people "Jew Units" after good ol G unit. And I randomly say meow just to catch people off guard. And I say Crayons???? and I seem to add a Z to the end of everything I say. like DUDEZ where are youz? you know something like that. And sometimes I act like Im black and say aight. Ya Im cool like that dawg... Ya I say that too....

Back