The New, (now) official, Show off Your Video Card Thread

Is it worth getting a BFG 6800 GT? I mean, can't I just modify my 6800 GT myself and get the same results, or do they actually modify the hardware to make it better? And how significant is it? Also, do I need special cooling on a 6800 GT (unclocked) in an unclocked athlon 64 3200 system? EDIT: I meant to make a new thread about this. The whole adding "Title" in reply kind of threw me off.

gop said:
Is it worth getting a BFG 6800 GT? I mean, can't I just modify my 6800 GT myself and get the same results, or do they actually modify the hardware to make it better? And how significant is it? Also, do I need special cooling on a 6800 GT (unclocked) in an unclocked athlon 64 3200 system? EDIT: I meant to make a new thread about this. The whole adding "Title" in reply kind of threw me off.

Search the other million threads about the 6800 GT but. . .

You dont need to get the BFG card. Some of the other cards will actually OC more.
The cards are all pretty much the same hardware. Stock cooling is also pretty good.

Haste said:
I have a ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB that I had to almost kill to get.

You should have killed him, he will be back to take your life and your card ;)

here my BFG6800GTOC

IM001082.jpg

IM001081.jpg

Nice stuff Weapon......I like the look.

Let me ask you one thing though.....how are you securing the blue ramsinks to the backplate on the card? I'm only asking because I've tried out the "heatsink on heatsink" method before and didn't really see any advantages in terms of temps/oc's. Unless you filed down that section of the backplate and soldered the ramsinks (properly) to the backplate or used some AS Epoxy I'm not sure how well the heat transfer is gonna be.

Let us know.

cornelious0_0 said:
Looks good mate.....thx for putting the cooler dimensions into perspective everytime I look over at my wittle ol' Inno3d. ;)

[RIP]Zeus, have you tried to OC that thing farther? It shouldn't be too tough.....give my thread here a look over and decide if you wanna go ahead with it....PM me with questions or head over there to post. I'd just hate to see that fanshmastic WB go to "waste" without having you try for more. ;)

i will be redoing my watercooling setup this weekend since i got monday off
w00t labor day
anyways yes i have the mods in place on my card, i just need to mod the water cooling so it cools better
also i got 3 120mm fan at 190cfm for the rads.....=]
and i am also looking at your thread and i will use your info to insure a very NICE oc out of the 6800gt :D

cornelious0_0 said:
Nice stuff Weapon......I like the look.

Let me ask you one thing though.....how are you securing the blue ramsinks to the backplate on the card? I'm only asking because I've tried out the "heatsink on heatsink" method before and didn't really see any advantages in terms of temps/oc's. Unless you filed down that section of the backplate and soldered the ramsinks (properly) to the backplate or used some AS Epoxy I'm not sure how well the heat transfer is gonna be.

Let us know.

Don't worry bro, just secured down with Thermal tape, I don't count on it helping the cooling any if all, it's just for looks. I'm banking on the huge silver heatspreader on the back to dissapate all the heat and well, let's just hope the ramsinks on the back does not have a reverse effect lol. :p

WeaponX said:
Don't worry bro, just secured down with Thermal tape, I don't count on it helping the cooling any if all, it's just for looks. I'm banking on the huge silver heatspreader on the back to dissapate all the heat and well, let's just hope the ramsinks on the back does not have a reverse effect lol. :p

I highly doubt they'd have the "reverse effect" but yeah.....they do look damn cool. Kudos on one sexc card. :D

chrisf6969 said:
I wanted a single slot card/cooler so down the road when I get a shuttle 939 pin mobo with an A64 3800+ I can put it in there. :)

Can I ask what's with the gold color'd strip going down the edge of your Verto?

[M]aynard [M]cGuffin said:
That is a very nice looking card.

spin02, what pci card is that, that takes a floppy connector?

that would be an audigy 2 ZS PP , takes a floppy connectah, my lowly audigy 1 doesnt need one :D

and yes very nice setup spin, you have my ideal computer, cept ise use a 3700+. love the mobo tho!

cornelious0_0 said:
Can I ask what's with the gold color'd strip going down the edge of your Verto?

Some aluminum bar, I think its there to reinforce the card. Maybe keep it from flexing while inserting it, etc.

Its a gold colored piece of aluminum. Its connected on the 2 far corners with screws. I think it comes on all of the new PNY's.

I'm saying "I think" a lot b/c I'm not exactly sure. why its there, etc.

chrisf6969 said:
Some aluminum bar, I think its there to reinforce the card. Maybe keep it from flexing while inserting it, etc.

Its a gold colored piece of aluminum. Its connected on the 2 far corners with screws. I think it comes on all of the new PNY's.

I'm saying "I think" a lot b/c I'm not exactly sure. why its there, etc.

That actually does make sense as to why it's there.....cus i HAVE seen a lot of cards flex over time.....and I think that that'd help it out a bit.

[M]aynard [M]cGuffin said:
That is a very nice looking card.

spin02, what pci card is that, that takes a floppy connector?

That is the SoundBlaster Audigy Z2 Platinum Pro. The power connector is actually for the break out box.

Update to my previous pic. I've seen removed the black aluminum ramsink and replaced it with 8 Vantec copper ramsinks.

6800GT_01.jpg

6800GT_02.jpg

I'll post new pics again once I get the DangerDen NV-68 block. :D

I'll post new pics again once I get the DangerDen NV-68 block.

I've been thinking of going with those ramsinks for my 6800GT once I bolt the SLK948 to it for the core......do you have any extra airflow on the card at all? Also, what kind of overclock did you get out of the ram before the ramsinks.....aka, with that stock aluminum plate.

Thx in advance.

Dillusion said:
is that silencer UV reactive, by any chance? and where did you get it?
I dunno about it being UV reactive, but that silencer comes with the Galaxy brand of cards.

i know it comes with it ;) im trying to find the galaxy glacier 6800NU ... and trying to sell my gainward 2.2ns card for it

cornelious0_0 said:
I've been thinking of going with those ramsinks for my 6800GT once I bolt the SLK948 to it for the core......do you have any extra airflow on the card at all? Also, what kind of overclock did you get out of the ram before the ramsinks.....aka, with that stock aluminum plate.

Thx in advance.

With the stock ramsink, I could go up to 1150MHZ. With the copper ones, I get 1200MHZ.

I have a 120mm fan (~55 cfm) blowing on the card from the side panel of my case.

Optimummind said:
With the stock ramsink, I could go up to 1150MHZ. With the copper ones, I get 1200MHZ.

I have a 120mm fan (~55 cfm) blowing on the card from the side panel of my case.

Well I've got a 120mm 85cfm fan on my card so.....yeah. ;)

It's good to know that the lack of surface area doesn't hinder things any when moving to the smaller copper 'sinks....but it looks like I wont even be going that route when i've got the cash to do my mods up right.....I'm taking the memory cooling one step further. ;)

I guess I should tell what card it is. :eek: BFG 6800 GT OC, with a Innovatek block.

First post here. Been out of the scene for a while working and school. Anyhow, here's the card.

Sapphire 9800pro softmodded to XT with tweakmonster ramsinks and a 1U server heatsink. Does a awesome job at cooling.

d3e.jpg

paulmofyourhand said:
could you purchase that block alone?

would bit be cheaper than the DD versoin?

I'm guessing it'd be cheaper then the DD block (it had better be).....but I'll take the copper NV68 over the Innovatek anyday. :)

blackrose said:
First post here. Been out of the scene for a while working and school. Anyhow, here's the card.

Sapphire 9800pro softmodded to XT with tweakmonster ramsinks and a 1U server heatsink. Does a awesome job at cooling.

d3e.jpg

Man you cant post something like that without telling us the ocing results :D

XMonkey - Is that Asus using a larger X800 heatsink? Its completely covering the ram.

aoc007 said:
Man you cant post something like that without telling us the ocing results :D

Haha. Right now it is at 425/375. Havn't really had time to break it in yet.

Haha, this is my "31!73 |-|@><><05" super duper deluxe XP video card!

1.jpg

:-p

Edit: for those of you who don't feel like reading the title, its an Oxygen GVX1

Hrm.. I've had this done for a while, and just decided to post pics now..

It is modded to living hell.. Sinks on everything, modded bios, pots, voltages, etc..

A 9800p with a shitty R360 core (hence the crap core speed) and sammy 8E mem (the best)..

Currently runs 480/425 24/7 flawlessly..

magmaster21-DSCN0194.JPG

magmaster21-DSCN0195.JPG

magmaster21-DSCN0197.JPG

Back