Votes: 5 1.1%
  • MSI

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
mentok1982 said:
Ooooo.
I like the new colors for cooling solution!
Very easy to read and pretty as well.

Gotta' use those Power Point skills I have polished over the years ;)

Zinn said:
meh, it's depressing being at the bottom of that chart! this week when i get my new cooler from Stasis, we'll see if I can bump up those megahurtz a little bit :p

Wait until a few more GT results show up. I think you may find yourself more in the middle of the pack. Unless, of course, the only people posting on this thread are the ones getting better than average OC results. ;)

Make: BFG
Model: 7800gt
Driver: 77.76 (whatever came off the CD)
BIOS rev: 6/23/05 (Not 100% on like a specific revision)
Stock clocks: 425 / 1050
Coolbits Detect: I got a few different ones but.... core avg around 500 memory 1200
Usable OC: I think to keep temps below 70 for me the core should be 486. I am able to raise ram as much as I want without affecting temps too much. 486/1225 got me 7961 whereas 486/1230 got 7950. I'll do a few more runs tomorrow to see. The best I got was 513/1230 which got 8248 however temps spiked to 71C.
Idle temp: avg 50
Cooling method: stock

screenshot

I'll try to make a better post tomorrow. I haven't been able to play any games yet, but I'll do it tomorrow. I'll find a link to my ORB thingy too.

Is it too late to add mine? :)

Make: eVGA
Model: 7800GT
Driver: 77.77
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11.XX
Stock clocks: 445 / 1070
Coolbits Detect: 445 / 1070
Usable OC: 495 / 1230
Idle temp: 44C
Cooling method: Zalman VF700-AlCu

Bona Fide said:
Is it too late to add mine? :)

Model: 7800GT
Driver: 77.77
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11.XX
Coolbits Detect: 445 / 1070
Usable OC: 495 / 1230
Cooling method: Zalman VF700-AlCu

Nope, never too late.The more the merrier! It will also give us a better sampling.

Zinn said:
meh, it's depressing being at the bottom of that chart! this week when i get my new cooler from Stasis, we'll see if I can bump up those megahurtz a little bit :p

Haha! So true bro. But then we can always say we're "more confident" about our occasional artifact/crash ratio than those ^^ there. :D I haven't seen the stasis 7800 cooler on the site yet... Am I missin' somethin?

HeavyH20 said:
Gotta' use those Power Point skills I have polished over the years ;)

Very pretty! Def like the colors for mods. I'm the green one holding the chart together at the bottom :p

This is on air at room temp of 82.8F. I have a Lian-Li PC-V1000 case also.

Good? Bad?

riva-temps.jpg

BFG Tech 7800GT

That was loading up BF2 @ 1280x1024 with everything maxxed out using 8xAA/AF.

Model: 7800GT OC
Driver 77.77
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.13.07
Stock clocks: 425/1050
Coolbits detect: 490/1184
Usable OC: 504/1134
Idle Temp 46C
Cooling method: Stock

dR.Jester said:
This is on air at room temp of 82.8F. I have a Lian-Li PC-V1000 case also.

Good? Bad?

riva-temps.jpg

BFG Tech 7800GT

That was loading up BF2 @ 1280x1024 with everything maxxed out using 8xAA/AF.

With that ambient, those temps are quite good. Nothing to worry about there!

just a question... how bad is it if I spike above 70? Like sometimes it'll hit 70-72 when playing games. Its pretty warm out right now so I might bring it down some more until summer is over.

510kut said:
just a question... how bad is it if I spike above 70? Like sometimes it'll hit 70-72 when playing games. Its pretty warm out right now so I might bring it down some more until summer is over.

That is not that bad if it is a spike here and there. If you started hitting the 80's, maybe then I would look at better cooling.

HeavyH20 said:
That is not that bad if it is a spike here and there. If you started hitting the 80's, maybe then I would look at better cooling.
And that's why I'm looking into better cooling... mine tops out at 80c :(

ahh ok... in that case maybe I'll bump it back up to 513/1230 or atleast find the fps plateu that anandtech talks about :p I idle pretty high but it only jumsp to about 72 max I believe.

Damn now I know why they say "every card is unique". My BFG won't even go close to or even above 500 core.

dR.Jester said:
Damn now I know why they say "every card is unique". My BFG won't even go close to or even above 500 core.

470 isnt too bad for a GT though ;) But i know what you mean, i just about scraped 500 out of my GTX, which is nice, but i wish i had that 551 core clock ;)

Oh well, at least my memory clock is good :D

XFX
7800GTX
Stock clocks: 450/1250
Usable OC: 490/1300
Idle temp: 37C
Cooling method: Stock + 92mm panaflo fan on heatsink.

Looks like the GT cards operate on a different frequency than 27MHz. Or, they may, but the root frequncy appears to be 5 MHz shy of the norm. So, instead of a jump at 473, it occurs at 478 on the GT. This may be simply that coolbits is reporting wrong, or there is a different frequency multiplier.

Also, having looked at variety of GT BIOS's, it looks like there is a difference on how they operate there, as well. Some have a single performance level default in the BIOS (XFX, BFG). Others, like the eVGA have 2 or 3 levels. I wish I had a GT to check verify this infromation. I might have to pick one up.

Maybe someone with a GT could confrm a couple of things with RivaTuner. If you could, run the rivtuner monitor in the background, and report on the coolbits settings and do a 3Dmark05 run. It would be interesting to see.

Here are the common clocks I see via 3DMark05

438/1002 - which is suppsoed to be 400/1000 - nVidia reference
425/1053 - which is 425/1050 - somehow 3Dmark05 picks up the root clock instead of the 472 the card bumps to for BFG GT OC cards
450/1053 - which is 450/1050 - XFX, Leadtek - detects root setting of clock correctly in 3DMark05.
486/1070 - which is 445/1050 - eVGA

Gar!!! The previous 68gt from leadtek came with a honking heatsink, right? So I ordered a leadtek hoping they'd do something other than reference...and splinter cell ct :D

Leadtek laughin' at Jod... There's some comments on xtremesystems too.

Jodiuh said:
Gar!!! The previous 68gt from leadtek came with a honking heatsink, right? So I ordered a leadtek hoping they'd do something other than reference...and splinter cell ct :D

Leadtek laughin' at Jod... There's some comments on xtremesystems too.

Actually, that Leadtek looks rather cool (pun intended). The bigger heatsink is what many had thought would show up on the 7800 Ultra. The Quadro cards use this heatsink, so it makes sense that it would move over to the gaming version, as well. And, the 490/1250 clocks are almost the same as the eVGA KO and XFX EE aside from the slightly lower memory clocking. Looks good to me!

Whe you get it, it would be interesting to see how cool it runs and the headroom on the core and memory. Let us know how it works!

Shapeshifter said:
XFX
7800GTX
Usable OC: 490/1300
Idle temp: 37C
Cooling method: Stock + 92mm panaflo fan on heatsink.

Looks like that "booster" fan works quite well. What is your ambient temp? And, how much louder did the fan make the card?

Aww, had to drop my core from 504 to 498. It looped 3dmark05 for hours and BF2 was also fine but I played some source today and got some flashing.

I hate it when that happens.

Same sh*t happened to me with BF2 on my eVGA 6800GT. Everything else ran like a champ at the OC I was running and then when BF2 was loaded up, all the trees and bushes were stretched. :(

HeavyH20 said:
I would wait at least a week to make sure the card is really healthy before any mods. That way, if it fails, warranty is not an issue. Most electronics fail within 72 hours of constant use if they are defective.

its still working fine.

pduan87 said:
Aww, had to drop my core from 504 to 498. It looped 3dmark05 for hours and BF2 was also fine but I played some source today and got some flashing.

Can it do 500? That is the next threshold on the 7800 core clock. Personally, I run mine at a nice cool 490/1350 for 24x7 operation. It idles at 38C and loads to 42C at that clock. Pushing the card at or very near its limit coudl eventually cause a premature death of the card. I like to give myself a good pad betwen what the card's potential is, and what I operate the card.

Also, some games hit certain features that others do not, heating up the core or exceeding a component capacity. Games with HDR and SM 3.0 can heat up a card fast.

TA DA!
The thread is stickied!
Thanks go out to my home boy W1zzard for the hook up.
He knows how to keep it real. :cool:

Russ said:
Alright, I just got my system up and running like 2 days ago, so i haven't pushed mey oc all the way, but here's my coolbits thingy. I'm installing 78.01 drivers now, we'll see if it makes a difference in mark05.

Make: XFX
Model: 7800GTX
Driver: 77.50
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11.02
Stock clocks: 460/1250
Coolbits Detect: 489/1320
Usable OC:4 489/1320 for now
Idle temp: 46C
Load temp: not sure, about 60C?

hmmm.... I must have your twin brother

Driver: 78.11
Load temp: not sure

..just puting this thing together , so don't know what max temps or clocks are for sure..

:)

ThreeDee said:
hmmm.... I must have your twin brother

Driver: 78.11
Load temp: not sure

..just puting this thing together , so don't know what max temps or clocks are for sure..

:)

The perfect pair for SLI !

HeavyH20 said:
The perfect pair for SLI !
Hey ...good call ..now if you could just get Russ to send me his card ..then my life would be complete . :)

mentok1982 said:
TA DA!
The thread is stickied!
Thanks go out to my home boy W1zzard for the hook up.
He knows how to keep it real. :cool:

Thanks for that. It is certainly easier to find every time I visit! :D

okay. I'll contribute to this list as well.

Model: 7800 GTX
Driver: 78.01
BIOS rev: ?
Stock clocks: 460 / 650
Coolbits Detect: 490 / 690
Usable OC: 520 core / 700 mem - passes continuous loop of 3DMark '01
Idle temp: 41C / 61C load
Cooling method: Zalman VF700 air cooled.

ozziegn said:
okay. I'll contribute to this list as well.

Model: 7800 GTX
Driver: 78.01
BIOS rev: ?
Stock clocks: 460 / 650
Coolbits Detect: 490 / 690
Usable OC: 520 core / 700 mem - passes continuous loop of 3DMark '01
Idle temp: 41C / 61C load
Cooling method: Zalman VF700 air cooled.

Looks like you got a nice sample there.

Model: 7800GT N518-AX
Driver: 77.77 WHQL
BIOS rev: Unknown
Coolbits Detect: 471 / 1120
Usable OC: 481 core / 1160 mem
Idle temp: 47c

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, and to HeavyH20 for maintaining the chart!

EDIT: to include idle temp.

No problem GoldenTiger. It is interesting to see what these cards are capable of.

BTW, has anyone seen the new eVGA 7800 GT CO? It is a limited release that you can pre-order, so it does not qualify for the step-up. It soundslike it is built as requested. It comes withe a copper heatsink and clocked to 470/1100 out of the box. Here is a link:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N517-AX

HeavyH20 said:
No problem GoldenTiger. It is interesting to see what these cards are capable of.

BTW, has anyone seen the new eVGA 7800 GT CO? It is a limited release that you can pre-order, so it does not qualify for the step-up. It soundslike it is built as requested. It comes withe a copper heatsink and clocked to 470/1100 out of the box. Here is a link:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N517-AX

Yeah, it is interesting to see what these cards can do. I saw the new card, but I just got my "plain" GT :). It's pretty nice-looking, though!

I am putting together somes statistics based on the survey. So far, I have the Top three usable OC for the GTX Cards. More to follow.

ThreeDee said:
Hey ...good call ..now if you could just get Russ to send me his card ..then my life would be complete . :)

or you could send me yours. ;)

---

I did some playing around with coolbits today. Didn't try to increase the ram speed much b/c I figured it isn't cooled as thouroghly as the core. Would this be correct? Do you guys usually get a good OC over what coolbits detects on ram?

Installed 78.03 drivers too. Coolbits redetected 487 instead of 489. I tried increasing it over 500, but it didn't like that. Most of the time it said failed the test. However, strangely one time it accepted 507, but not 500-506 or higher than 507. Then when I retested 507 it said it didn't work! So I'm at like 498 or something now. Should I do anything differently?

Russ said:
or you could send me yours. ;)

---

I did some playing around with coolbits today. Didn't try to increase the ram speed much b/c I figured it isn't cooled as thouroghly as the core. Would this be correct? Do you guys usually get a good OC over what coolbits detects on ram?

Installed 78.03 drivers too. Coolbits redetected 487 instead of 489. I tried increasing it over 500, but it didn't like that. Most of the time it said failed the test. However, strangely one time it accepted 507, but not 500-506 or higher than 507. Then when I retested 507 it said it didn't work! So I'm at like 498 or something now. Should I do anything differently?

Coolbits does detect a good safe OC. It allows some room for thermal issues. But,if you watercool or modify the stock cooler for better performance, you can run it a little higher.

The pad is around 25 MHz on the core and 30 to 40 MHz on the memory. If it is properly cooled, you can run the memory at or near the limit. Personally, I don;t push my card too hard. I run it at 490/1350 as my "stock" setting via a new BIOS.

My coolbits auto detection is exactly 489/1.28. The same speed as a KO. I wonder if they built in some certain limit because I was able to take it up to 530/1.3 (didn't try and go any higher on the memory) until Coolbits detection came back as failed.

dR.Jester said:
lol, funny to see that nobody has voted Asus. :p
I've got one! I've got one :p

It was the cheapest one i could get here in the netherlands.

Make: ASUS
Model: EN7800GTX
Driver: 78.03
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11
Stock clocks: 430 / 1200
Coolbits Detect: 489 core / 1310 mem
Usable OC: 480 core / 1300 mem
Idle temp: 54 celcius
Cooling method: stock

peacetilence said:
My coolbits auto detection is exactly 489/1.28. The same speed as a KO. I wonder if they built in some certain limit because I was able to take it up to 530/1.3 (didn't try and go any higher on the memory) until Coolbits detection came back as failed.

Almost to the KO spec. But, most KO's will exceed 490 and 1300 on the coolbits. Need a little bit of headroom. The interesting thing about the KO, is that the regular eVGA GTX OC's just as well and in some cases, better. Seems the only real difference is the upgraded cooler. But, I would need more KO samples to get a real feel for what they are capable.

roflcopter said:
I've got one! I've got one

It was the cheapest one i could get here in the netherlands.

Finally, an ASUS! Well, it is not surprising since eVGA, BFG, and XFX dominate the nVidia market in the US. Leadtek, Gainward and ASUS are big in Europe. But, I was hoping to see at least a few examples. Thanks for the post!

Anyone have an ASUS GTX TOP??

Back