The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

Except as I commented previously that review is mistaken. They post angle view screen shots and it is clearly a S-IPS screen there as well. It shows no PVA shiftiness.

So far the lotto stands:

PVA - 0
MVA - 1
S-IPS - Everything else.

A cynical person might think that MVA panel was reported by a Dell employee to muddy the waters. ;)

Except as I commented previously that review is mistaken. They post angle view screen shots and it is clearly a S-IPS screen there as well. It shows no PVA shiftiness.

So far the lotto stands:

PVA - 0
MVA - 1
S-IPS - Everything else.

A cynical person might think that MVA panel was reported by a Dell employee to muddy the waters. ;)

Yeah the review images definitely have AWESOME viewing angles like S-IPS panels. So I agree with you that the prada person was probably mistaken.

hp-lp2065-blickwinkel3.jpg

hp-lp2065-blickwinkel2.jpg

hp-lp2065-blickwinkel4.jpg

So snowdog what should I do? Buy from HP or the local shop? :D What would you do with the information I have given you?

if money is an issue buy it from where I bought it...$381 PLUS a $40 MIR...though you still get that MIR with ordering from HP...anyway, I say if money is an issue order from a cheap vendor

I had previously queried HP about the 2065 version codes to make sure they were the same (they are, one is corporate, one consumer). I just sent a follow-up complaint on this kind of panel switching behavior. Dells support position on this was get stuffed. PVA and IPS are close enough to the same. After many people complained they started to obscure the panel info behind codes. Nice. Hope the HP reaction is better.

Personally, I would only buy from a store that would let me examine it first, or return no questions asked for a full refund. But good luck finding that.

You could get the Nec 2070NX. Older panel and it doesn't do portrait mode, but Nec seems to treat the consumer in an honest fashion at least.

See my post #44 on the other LP2065 thread regarding the prad review:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1157568&page=3

Basically they state that they're guessing and they guessed wrong, according to what we know now. That's what originally started the S-PVA rumor, yet there has been no instances of anyone actually having an S-PVA panel on the HP LP2065. I'm a bit surprised they haven't edited it the review with the subsequent evidence.

I just got one last week from New Egg. It has the IPS panel. Nice monitor. Bit small for me but my eyes are not that great anymore. I like the muted natural look to images rather than the in your face poping unrealistic colors. I use it for text editing mostly though.

So this lottery is liek 1 in a thousand chance of NOT getting the S-IPS panel? Or was he mistaken?

Either way, I like my chances. I think I am going to pick up one of these.

Any deals or coupons I should be aware of?

I just got one last week from New Egg. It has the IPS panel. Nice monitor. Bit small for me but my eyes are not that great anymore. I like the muted natural look to images rather than the in your face poping unrealistic colors. I use it for text editing mostly though.

Chas,

I've got the brightness down to 51; contrast 91 -ymmv- that helps and although this is considered either a high crime or cardinal sin, (natural rez only!) you can run the monitor at 1024x768 with no problems, imo.

Any idea what Revision/date/panel you have?

re: maximus' point above, this type of panel switching should be illegal.

they should have to specify at time of offering what kind of panel it is (even if it means offering two separate products, with two different prices, if they wanted) and be held liable if the product isn't as specified.

Dell in particular could send out monitors with top-notch panels for review to pcmag.com, etc, wait for favorable reviews to generate interest, and then switch panels. It's not right.

My IPS has on the box: REV GSM002, Manufactured in JAN 2007, btw.

If you like the form factor and resolution, for the price, it is an excellent deal.

I finally got my LP2065!

(Bloody Australians - they think it's normal for it to take a week to get something from 75Km away!)

It's an S-IPS panel. Very happy with it.

Lovely colours, plays Just Cause and GTA Andreas without any blurring. So easy to set up (I'd already downloaded the HP software - and, surprisingly enough, the software was not mega-bloatware like their damn printer drivers are!).

uluvbs,

they should have to specify at time of offering what kind of panel it is (even if it means offering two separate products, with two different prices, if they wanted) and be held liable if the product isn't as specified.

Dell in particular could send out monitors with top-notch panels for review to pcmag.com, etc, wait for favorable reviews to generate interest, and then switch panels. It's not right.

If you like the form factor and resolution, for the price, it is an excellent deal.

Ok. No more speculation from me :) Just the facts. JAN 2007 is an S-IPS so the 'anything before DEC' is not exactly right, although if I were ordering I'd still consider it.

I fully agree with you on the truth in advertising aspect. All specs should include panel type - period. That would end most of this. This is exactly how business brings regulations upon themselves - not that it isn't imposed on them in other instances, sometimes with junk science - but this is different, And they should know better. Panel manufactures could set down some ground rules, for one. A while back when S-IPS panels couldn't get under 25ms response time, I'd be miffed if I were a gamer and got an S-IPS panel, when my 'opponents' were running 6ms. :) So it's not just the S-IPS panels, it's all of them.

Btw, glad you got a 'good one' and thanks for the Jan 07 info. That's more promising than anything so far. I'm hoping someone at HP just grabbed one wrong panel :)

I wonder if the EU fat cats would take up this issue? Anyway I am ordering it right now. Fingers crossed. Will let you know once I receive it.

Ok I ordered mine directly from HP (friday) and it will be here on Monday. Nice guy at HP guaranteed that I would get a S-IPS panel. Actually according to him there ain't any non S-IPS 2065s :) He actually contacted other folks at HP to double check and re-confirm that.

So could the guy who posted those "low quality" photos be telling porky? :D Well whatever the truth is all I know is that my screen will be S-IPS even though it cost me slightly more than the cheapest local shop :cool: I can get back to work now!

this is exactly what i was going to say. there's only been ONE unconfirmed report of an non S-IPS panel. we have S-IPS panels from november, december and janurary. as far as we know, there is no lottery until it's confirmed that HP has shipped any non S-IPS panels.

this is exactly what i was going to say. there's only been ONE unconfirmed report of an non S-IPS panel. we have S-IPS panels from november, december and janurary. as far as we know, there is no lottery until it's confirmed that HP has shipped any non S-IPS panels.

The fact that the HP reps are guaranteeing a S-IPS panel is reassuring too.

I think I have found my new monitor. Nothing like being able to buy a nice LCD without having to worry about which panel it has.

at this point its definitely worth taking the chance. we'll have more information next week...still, there has to be more people here who have ordered them in the past few months

received mine last week from Techonweb, $371.45 before $40 rebate, included shipping.

LPL LM201U05 SLA
rev. 114

on box: GSM002 Dec 2006 made in China

Great monitor.:D

Bob

uluv,

Wondering what Rev:11X is on your service menu? Rev: 114 has been S-IPS but kmarlife's was Rev:115.

Yes, would like to hear Calibration settings ;-) on top of whether the HP software did anything for you.

Thank you.

kmartlife's screenshot is pretty confirming:
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4758/image00074ib5.jpg;

I'm a retoucher and I think I could spot a copy and paste but the three pictures together (from his earlier post) pretty much tells the story.

But, I agree, it's not quite at the lottery level of Dell's.

So far the lotto stands:

PVA - 0
MVA - 1
S-IPS - Everything else.

did you see my pictures snowdog? It WAS an A-MVA from PC Connection. No I'm not from Dell. I work for a defense contractor.

Btw...I just reordered from BHPhotoVideo and got a S-IPS. However, it has a dead pixel in the corner. I think I'll be able to live with it.

Are you kidding me! I made it all up for fun? Is that what you're saying? Wow...that's amazing. What would be the motivation behind that? Let's set the record straight:

I ordered a HP LP2065 from PC Connection and received one with an A-MVA. IT DOES EXIST. I took PICTURES OF IT. How much more proof would you like?!? I'm simply amazed by the level of disbelief you guys are displaying. It has a revision # of AMM000 and a firmware code of .115. I sent the piece of crap right back to PC Connection. It's on its way now. If you would like to order from PC Connection be my guest.

I ordered ANOTHER HP LP2065 through bhphotovideo.com and received a S-IPS. I'm happy now. The monitor does have a dead pixel on it, but I can live with that. It has a revision # of GSM002 and firmware of .114.

You talked to a rep at a multibillion dollar company with 2342342342 different departments and they gave you false information. Welcome to corporate America. The left arm NEVER knows what the right one is doing (unless you work at Google or something). You have to be kidding me. Show him the friggin' pictures. He/she is lying through his/her teeth.

End of story...no more rumors...no more speculation. I've just given you the truth.

Low res pictures? I took it with my phone camera from a XV6700. 1 meg-pixel. What would you expect from this camera? I don't have a regular digital camera to take pictures with.

Ok HP phoned me back and the product manager 100% guaranteed me that the HP LP2065 uses S-IPS panel. He knew what he was talking about so I have no reason to doubt him (he even knew what S-IPS stood for which no one at Dell knew when I phoned). Now I am in Europe so could it be that the lottery system has only come into effect in USA? He said I could buy directly from him/HP. HP's price is $80 more than from a local retail shop so I said I will get back to him. $80 for safety of S-IPS panel or $80 for something that has always been S-IPS in europe? :rolleyes:

Edit- Should I snap it up from HP? Or get it from the local PC shop? Would be safer from HP right?

EDIT 2- WTF!¨taken from- http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review-hp-lp2065-part8.html

mutant...send him my pictures...please. You have the evidence right there. IT'S UNDENIABLE. You're talking about a manager from HP. Does he have an incentive to lie to you? (YES, he wants to move his darn HP monitors and get you off the phone OR he's just unaware of where they are sourcing the panels. Why would they notify him anyways we're talking about a company with 156,000 employees, you think people are on the same page at HP? Think again.).

mutant...send him my pictures...please. You have the evidence right there. IT'S UNDENIABLE. You're talking about a manager from HP. Does he have an incentive to lie to you? (YES, he wants to move his darn HP monitors and get you off the phone OR he's just unaware of where they are sourcing the panels. Why would they notify him anyways we're talking about a company with 156,000 employees, you think people are on the same page at HP? Think again.).

It's good to have a skeptic mind that is why I mentioned the "low res photo" thing. In todays world a competitor could easily have posted such image. I was just keeping an open mind. Does not mean that I was calling you a liar OR 100% believing the HP guy. He probably was telling the truth that he got told OR as you said just being a salesman.

Anyway why do you think I paid $60 more to buy directly from HP rather than my local shop?????---> Simply because I thought that your story had merit and did not want to risk it. If my HP comes on Monday with a non S-IPS panel then it will go straight back to HP!

P.S- He had already asked me for links as the department that gave him the S-IPS info asked for these online links. So yes I have forwarded links from here and DPreview.com.
So looks like someone from HP "could" be reading this thread...and so they should "IF" the are also doing this panel switching crap like Dell!

btw I ordered mine wednesday night at like 10pm, 5-7 day ground shipping...I expected it to leave sometime thurs, but at least by friday...so far it doesn't look like its shipped yet :(

as long as I get it next week I'll be happy...

btw I saw kmartlifes LCD box said AMM000 on the outside...when was it produced?

oh and I don't doubt your story, but it is a little odd...did the HP rep explicitly say that *some* LP2065's have MVA's? is this a decision HP is consciously making? because I'm starting to wonder if maybe there was some mix up and someone grabbed the wrong panel when installing, or they ran out of S-IPS's and threw in an MVA to meet quota

oh and I don't doubt your story, but it is a little odd...did the HP rep explicitly say that *some* LP2065's have MVA's? is this a decision HP is consciously making? because I'm starting to wonder if maybe there was some mix up and someone grabbed the wrong panel when installing, or they ran out of S-IPS's and threw in an MVA to meet quota

You talking to me? If yes then the HP rep I spoke to NEVER mentioned that the 2065 used any MVAs. He constantly maintained that the 2065s use S-IPS panels.

Oh man, I'm torn between getting this or just getting two crappy 19" widescreens for the same price.

it's an excellent display

but honestly, i debated between getting this, a 24" (twice the price), or two 19" panels.

Two 19" are a great idea, esp. if you get ones with slim bezels, and depending what you're using it for. If you need to have work email open in one window, and a work document in another, I would def. get dual displays.

This 20"-incher is very big, but I am having a hard time using it for true multi-tasking (i.e., keeping multiple windows open side-by-side)

This 20"-incher is very big, but I am having a hard time using it for true multi-tasking (i.e., keeping multiple windows open side-by-side)

If I were buying this for work I would definitely get two...

But it's for home, and I either do very light photo/video editing, forum posting, or gaming. I just have held out against an LCD for so long because of the problems with the other panels that the S-IPS seem to fix.

I am just tired of this big CRT sitting on my desk. I want a new toy.

a 2nd thought on my previous post...since it was listed AMM000 on the box it couldn't have been an accidental mistake...but I guess its still possible that maybe HP ran out of S-IPS's and threw in an MVA to meet quota - thats my current theory since we have seen only one report of an MVA

I ordered an LP2065 from newegg on thursday, and it will be here monday. Hopefully it is an IPS.. i'll be sure to post the results here.

btw I ordered mine wednesday night at like 10pm, 5-7 day ground shipping...I expected it to leave sometime thurs, but at least by friday...so far it doesn't look like its shipped yet :(

as long as I get it next week I'll be happy...

btw I saw kmartlifes LCD box said AMM000 on the outside...when was it produced?

It was produced December 2006 in China and yes it did say AMM000 on the outside of the box. If anyone orders one and it says AMM000 on the side of the box, return it.

thanks for the info kmartlife.

AMM000 = A-MVA
GSM002 = S-IPS

i just ordered one as well, it should be here by wednesday, hopefully i get an S-IPS. i'll also post some pics of the box when i get it.

it's an excellent display

I have a 17inch S-PVA as my second monitor and the combo works great. I put the workspace in photoshop on the HP and the palettes on the 17in. Outside of PS, it's great when you have, say, some instructions to put on one sceen and doing whatever on the other. The second monitor doesn't have to be S-IPS necessarily.

The reason I didn't go with widescreen is the way I sit at my 'station' (at home) - sideways with my legs up :) I have the HP at an angle (facing me) to the other one. But I also use them mainly for photoediting.

My HP will be secondary monitor to my 30" Dell HC :p Plus the input switching option helps me in connecting my non work PC to the HP.

I just got mine from newegg... it says Rev. AMM000 on the box :(

Not sure what I'm going to do -- newegg won't let me return it unless it's defective if I remember correctly. I guess I need to look into HP's policy.

Back