The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

I just got mine from newegg... it says Rev. AMM000 on the box :(

Not sure what I'm going to do -- newegg won't let me return it unless it's defective if I remember correctly. I guess I need to look into HP's policy.

Open it and take on for the team!

j/k I thought newegg would take unopened returns for a restocking fee?

This is displayed when I view my order status on newegg's site. Well, it looks like I should have looked at their policy closer before ordering this. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do (if anything)?. Is this panel really *that* bad?

[LCD] Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

1. Summary
* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days
* There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return.
2. Detail
1. Newegg.com sells many products such as Notebooks and Monitors that feature LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screens. Newegg.com adheres to the dead-pixel policy that is observed by the majority of our manufacturers. In order to declare any product with an LCD screen "defective" and eligible for replacement or refund through any applicable Newegg.com Return Policy, there must be a minimum of 8 (eight) dead LCD pixels.

I received mine almost a week ago, but due to schedule and a missing SATA cable (its amazing what Best Buy does not carry anymore) I built and finished my system and am now enjoying my Nov 2006 S-IPS.

One question - as I scroll through the postings, i get this "lag" - is there a way to minimize this?

Gorgeous monitor by the way. Still looking for settings guides.

This is displayed when I view my order status on newegg's site. Well, it looks like I should have looked at their policy closer before ordering this. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do (if anything)?. Is this panel really *that* bad?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm

Scroll down to Advanced MVA section and click on the last two links right below that for more info. It seems the A-MVA is better than earlier MVA versions as expected.

You might contact HP directly. For one thing although the specs are simliar they aren't exactly the same - the A-MVA panel has a contrast ratio of 1000:1 on the spec sheet for that panel and the HP is 800:1 stated on most specs even at newegg. While of course the 1000:1 would presumably be 'better', it isn't what was advertised by either newegg or at the spec sheet at HP. That may be a ploy for you, in that while you understand that newegg can't guarantee 'versions' (as they say in their return policy faq) that what you got wasn't what was advertised which is something entirely different. You may do better though, going through HP on this, esp. if you could get the same guy mutant talked to. :)

Let us know what happens.

You may do better though, going through HP on this, esp. if you could get the same guy mutant talked to. :)

Let us know what happens.

I am in Europe so doubt my guy could help him :D My HP will be here in exactly 2 hours. I was waiting for the display all day yesterday (Monday)...I went out to the corner shop for 10 minutes and that is when the delivery guy turned up :mad: Got to go and collect it in a bit (Tuesday morning). I hope the box does not say Rev. AMM000 or it would be a very irritating journey back home :rolleyes:

My local PC shop (large dealer) wrote this. Guy is wrong I think and probably does not know much-

"Dear Sir
As this model is being produced since 2005 the technology used fort he panel production has changed as well. There was certainly a mistake in our description, because the panel technology is definitely not MVA as it has been told. But it is not S-IPS anymore as well. HP is using TN Panels right now for this model.

Many thanks for your interest in our products and services. We would be glad to answer any further questions that might arise."

Ok the box is in front of me :) Unopened as I am reading the stuff on the box first.

EDIT-1- On the outside of the box it says
Origin China
Importador en Mexico
HSTND-2101-G

On opening the box I see on the back of the panel-

Dec2006
Rev GSM002
Made in Nanjing China

So far looks like S-IPS based on the GSM number. Now I am gonna hook up the baby and come back....

EDIT-2-
It was obvious for me by looking at the image that it was S-IPs but just for ref. I went into the service menu. that was fun :)

Firmware Rev .114
LCD Part No. LPL LM201U05-SLA1

It was obvious for me by looking at the image that it was S-IPs but just for ref. I went into the service menu. that was fun :)

Firmware Rev .114
LCD Part No. LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Cool! Should be more in later this week.

Awesome display! I have it next to my Dell 30" 3007 HC* and subjectively speaking it looks as good if not better! :D

I just got mine from newegg... it says Rev. AMM000 on the box :(

Not sure what I'm going to do -- newegg won't let me return it unless it's defective if I remember correctly. I guess I need to look into HP's policy.

eek, thats a little bit scary. thats 2 confirmed now. I didn't order mine from newegg, and it *should* be in later this week so we'll see what happens

you might be able to contact HP and exchange it with them. you'll probably have to pay shipping. if you can exchange it through them, you should ask their open box policy because you might be able to open it and confirm it through the LCD menu (be sure to look for purple glare beyond 45 degrees) before sending it back. and it could give you an opportunity to test the screen...if you find you don't mind or that you like the A-MVA, then there might not be much sense in sending it back

also I believe kmartlife exchanged his MVA for an SIPS, maybe he could explain the exchange process

I don't think kmartlife exchanged his. I think he just ordered another from a different place.

I am noticing one thing though. There is a wave effect I see going from one side of the screen to the other. It shows up only when I have blueish background or grey/brownish background.

Looks like lot of people are noticing this effect-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&message=22091988&changemode=1

Try using the MS windows plain blue background by choosing "none" and see if you notice it. It will also show on windows "greenstone" background when set to stretch.

View this image and you will probably see the wave thing on the floor (right half of the floor).
http://lcdresource.com/images/venice-contrasttest.jpg

I am noticing one thing though. There is a wave effect I see going from one side of the screen to the other. It shows up only when I have blueish background or grey/brownish background.

Looks like lot of people are noticing this effect-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&message=22091988&changemode=1

Try using the MS windows plain blue background by choosing "none" and see if you notice it. It will also show on windows "greenstone" background when set to stretch.

View this image and you will probably see the wave thing on the floor (right half of the floor).
http://lcdresource.com/images/venice-contrasttest.jpg

I've seen the threads but I can't duplicate the effect on any of the screens noted - usually a light gray screen on those reported on dpr, and not everyone is experiencing it. There will be a wave on startup/warmup, it goes away, but I've experienced that on every monitor I've had :)

I'm REV 114 July 2006 GMS001 - DVI hookup, GeForce 7600

I took a trip down to B&H Photo and had the salesperson call up two LP2065 monitors. Both boxes had the rev. AMM000 sticker.

That's it for me. I'll probably be getting the NEC 2070NX.

I took a trip down to B&H Photo and had the salesperson call up two LP2065 monitors. Both boxes had the rev. AMM000 sticker.

That's it for me. I'll probably be getting the NEC 2070NX.

Is that one a guaranteed SIPS? I can't take this lottery crap anymore. I don't play the real lotto for $1, why the hell would I play panel lotto for $400?

Based on posts here and from this site it is an S-IPS panel, but its also priced at $450-550 depending on where you look.

Is that one a guaranteed SIPS? I can't take this lottery crap anymore. I don't play the real lotto for $1, why the hell would I play panel lotto for $400?

Yes the NEC 2070NX is gaurunteed S-IPS. The part number will be changed if the panel is changed.

Ordered from Cost Central, Received HP LP2065 GSM002 IPS Panel Jan 2007.

Panel is good, great image quality but I have to get use to the small text, the C&C 3 demo looks amazing on this panel. Very Bright out of the box. After some tuning it looks great. Had to take some of the red out cause the display by default is too red. But the panel is great. Money spent well, and the panel is HUGE. 4:3 is the best ratio, nice and wide and tall.

Aw man this is killing me. I am going to take a trip to the local Fry's and Circuit City's to see if they have this monitor in stock. if they do, all I need to do is look on the box for the GSM instead of AMM, right?

Screw me in the goatass, maybe I should just buy a crappy panel 22" widescreen. At least then I KNOW I am getting a shite panel.

*UPDATE* I might just buy one of those BenQ 22" widescreens, $260 shipped from pc connection.

got mine today, I have to admit I was a little nervous about it. I saw GSM002 so of course I was excited. I opened it and tested it on another PC while I wait on the rest of my parts to come in

LCD shows all the familiar S-IPS characteristics I've read about...purplish or goldish shine at hard angles when displaying a solid black screen

checked the menu to confirm:
REV .114
LPL LM201U05-SLA1

:D

GSM002, January 2007. Product of China. ordered from CostCentral. no dead pixels, don't notice any backlight bleeding, very pleased. GSM definitely seems to guarantee its an S-IPS.

the panel has very nice, very solid colors, great viewing angles, and no glare. I guess I was surprised at the size of this LCD, though I'm upgrading from a laptop lol. anyway, before deciding on this one I had myself convinced I needed a widescreen LCD...no regrets - but is there anyway to lower/raise monitor on the stand? I feel like if I'm not able to lower it I'll develop neck pains, lol. hope I don't have to buy a stand...

I'm sure the colors on a glossy panel would look more vibrant though they'd suffer from glare, but the LP-2065 colors are very nice and rich. its hard to explain, but the colors feel solid and full. can't wait to run this at 1600x1200 and DVI on the new PC I'm building...btw, I'm very curious how this S-IPS compares to the new A-MVAs

best of luck to everyone ;)

so, costcentral is a-ok? Their reseller rating ain't that good.

Also, what's up with the dual pricing on their inventory?

LCD shows all the familiar S-IPS characteristics I've read about...purplish or goldish shine at hard angles when displaying a solid black screen

checked the menu to confirm:
REV .114
LPL LM201U05-SLA1

:D

GSM002, January 2007. Product of China. ordered from CostCentral. no dead pixels, don't notice any backlight bleeding, very pleased. GSM definitely seems to guarantee its an S-IPS.

Good for you max.

G - Guaranteed
S - S-IPS
M - Monitor :) we think....

dual pricing? that might refer to this:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=37/form_keyword=hp+lp2065/rd=1

for some reason, pricegrabber and some vendors list 2 different HP LP2065's...EF227A8, and EF227A4. I'm not sure that we've established the difference, or if there is one, but I ordered the cheaper A8 and I'm pretty sure everyone else here has done the same, even those that received A-MVAs

on pricegrabber's vendor list, CostCentral has 4.5 out of 5 stars after 900+ reviews, that was good enough for me. I also bought it at $381 + a $40 mail in rebate. I'd say they were pretty good overall, though I would have liked a confirmation email for when the monitor was shipped. I ordered last wednesday night at about 10pm with ground shipping 5-7 business days, received it tuesday

when I ordered I requested a monitor with "GSM002" on the side in the comments section. I didn't check to see if CostCentral matches these kinds of things and I didn't expect them to. I know most vendors don't so I probably just got lucky

just because I received an S-IPS from CostCentral doesn't mean their entire inventory is GSM models, though I assume one could call and ask, maybe even place an order over the phone. at this point I'd say if you are on the fence then take the chance. of the 10 or so reporting, 2 were MVA. if you're concerned, research the vendors return/exchange policies first, as well as HPs - I actually didn't. like I said, you might consider calling HP or a vendor directly to try and guarantee an order and place it over the phone

oh yeah so can I adjust the height on this stand??? lol

You have to push the monitor down quite hard to get it to move down. I agree this panel is awesome. It is magnificent for gaming, the response time suits my gaming needs. The colors, the viewing angle and the montor is very pleasing to look at.

The monitor is actually kinda wide, which is a good thing. Wow its wayy bigger than I anticipated.

Did i mention how excellent Comand and Conqueor 3 looks. WoW IPS for teh Win!!

This CRT refresh wave looking type of thing is irritating me!!!!!!!! Anyone else seeing it on light blues/light grey backgrounds? Man even my crappy old Acer does not do this! Apart from the wave thing this monitor is PERFECT :mad:

It's more obvious when you lower your brightness and contrast.

This CRT refresh wave looking type of thing is irritating me!!!!!!!! Anyone else seeing it on light blues/light grey backgrounds? Man even my crappy old Acer does not do this! Apart from the wave thing this monitor is PERFECT :mad:

It's more obvious when you lower your brightness and contrast.

Well I'm seeing the same wave (from the middle of the screen to the bottom), quit irritating, especially when you use photoshop and have to watch the waves on the grey background :( . I also have wave problem with the colour on this site http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_position_relative. If you raise the brightness it becomes less irritating but you can still see the waves.

I first thought it was something wrong with the cables (dvi) so I borrowed one from a friend but the waves were still there (I have an Ati Radeon 9500pro). Tried with another computer that only has vga (Geforce ti200) and if I used a refresh rate of 60hz I could see the waves, when I raised the refresh rate to 75hz the waves disappeared. I don't know if something is wrong with the video card (radeon 9500pro) or the monitor.

Well I'm seeing the same wave (from the middle of the screen to the bottom), quit irritating, especially when you use photoshop and have to watch the waves on the grey background :( . I also have wave problem with the colour on this site http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_position_relative. If you raise the brightness it becomes less irritating but you can still see the waves.

I first thought it was something wrong with the cables (dvi) so I borrowed one from a friend but the waves were still there (I have an Ati Radeon 9500pro). Tried with another computer that only has vga (Geforce ti200) and if I used a refresh rate of 60hz I could see the waves, when I raised the refresh rate to 75hz the waves disappeared. I don't know if something is wrong with the video card (radeon 9500pro) or the monitor.

Thanks for posting mate. Yes you are seeing EXACTLY what I am seeing! Mine starts from the middle of the screen as well. Yes it is bugging the hell out of me as I am designer and I use lot of Photoshop as well.
I knew that some other people had exact same issue but for the sake of testing I tried it with my laptop and second PC. It's definitely the fault of our panel. If you turn the brightness high then it becomes better but then I might as well stare at the sun all day ;)

Thanks for posting mate. Yes you are seeing EXACTLY what I am seeing! Mine starts from the middle of the screen as well. Yes it is bugging the hell out of me as I am designer and I use lot of Photoshop as well.
I knew that some other people had exact same issue but for the sake of testing I tried it with my laptop and second PC. It's definitely the fault of our panel. If you turn the brightness high then it becomes better but then I might as well stare at the sun all day ;)

Hi Mutant,

I PM'ed you back, but figured I'd post here too. I've had my 2065 for about ten days,
and while I bought it to work (in portrait mode) next to a 3007-HC, I've got it on another
computer for the time being. I just checked it, and ran the brightness all the way down,
and didn't see any signs of waves or other image instability. It does take on a slight
"pinkish" hue with a white background, but other than that it looks fine.

CAMster

I received my LP 2065 yestoday from Buy.com. It's S-IPS panel, but I think I got a fault panel. The color of the monitor is unreal and non-uniform. At 6500K, it's very reddish. I can correct this by adjusting the RGB. To get a "real" white, the value of R has to be 20 less than the value of G and B. It's still not the worst thing. After adjusting, the white color on the left side is a little blue, while on the right side it's a little yellow. When I dragged a white image across the screen, I can distinguish the color changes even by naked eyes. I have called HP to replace. They are nice to give me a replcement, but they can't promise an S-IPS panel and say LP2065 is currently backordered. I suspect that the new arrivals should be A-MVA panel since more and more people received their recent orders with A-MVA panela. What's my choice? A problematic S-IPS panel or a good A-MVA panel? I don't think either Buy.com or HP will refund me.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, has anyone found out more regarding the right color (and brightness/contrast) settings to use?

Thank you.

I received my LP 2065 yestoday from Buy.com. It's S-IPS panel, but I think I got a fault panel. The color of the monitor is unreal and non-uniform. At 6500K, it's very reddish. I can correct this by adjusting the RGB. To get a "real" white, the value of R has to be 20 less than the value of G and B. It's still not the worst thing. After adjusting, the white color on the left side is a little blue, while on the right side it's a little yellow. When I dragged a white image across the screen, I can distinguish the color changes even by naked eyes. I have to called HP to replace. They are nice to give me a replcement, but they can't promise an S-IPS panel and say LP2065 is currently backordered. I suspect that the new arrivals should be A-MVA panel since more and more people received their recent orders with A-MVA panela. What's my choice? A problematic S-IPS panel or a good A-MVA panel? I don't think either Buy.com or HP will refund me.

Hi Kingfrank,
You may want to return your monitor quickly, to have the best chance of getting
another S-IPS panel. From what you described your monitor should be returned,
it would be totally unacceptable to me - even an A-MVA would be preferable.

I have no idea about any backorder, when I ordered my 2065 I got it directly from
HP, and it came quite quickly (about ten days ago). Did you try HP's Small
Business website? Maybe they're more responsive than the regular retail site.

CAMster

so you guys are saying the LP2065 has a weird wave effect?

I received my LP 2065 yestoday from Buy.com. It's S-IPS panel, but I think I got a fault panel. The color of the monitor is unreal and non-uniform. At 6500K, it's very reddish. I can correct this by adjusting the RGB. To get a "real" white, the value of R has to be 20 less than the value of G and B. It's still not the worst thing. After adjusting, the white color on the left side is a little blue, while on the right side it's a little yellow. When I dragged a white image across the screen, I can distinguish the color changes even by naked eyes. I have to called HP to replace. They are nice to give me a replcement, but they can't promise an S-IPS panel and say LP2065 is currently backordered. I suspect that the new arrivals should be A-MVA panel since more and more people received their recent orders with A-MVA panela. What's my choice? A problematic S-IPS panel or a good A-MVA panel? I don't think either Buy.com or HP will refund me.

for the record, only 2 A-MVA's have been confirmed. so far S-IPS success rates have been quite good. the latest (and 2nd) A-MVA report came as a surprise to me, and probably everyone else as well, however I'm not sure if it is time to be dissuaded from ordering LP2065's just yet.

if this S-IPS panel is garbage, then any panel might be better than the one you have now so getting an A-MVA might not be half bad. I'd say go ahead and send it back to the vendor or HP - see if you can get a refund or an exchange at the very least because the panel is obviously defective. if HP is back ordered then that could be a bad sign, I would try to buy from a vendor if possible. find out HP's return policy and see if you can return the next one if it is an A-MVA. you might be able to return a non-opened item, though you may have to pay shipping and a restocking fee.

if you don't want to take your chances on getting another S-IPS then get a refund. this panel definitely sounds defective

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, has anyone found out more regarding the right color (and brightness/contrast) settings to use?

Thank you.

good question ;) I created a thread specifically for that topic if you want to search for it and bump it

I really appreciate the advice from CAMster and maximus1284. Thank you. I called HP repair sevice directly. It's HP repair service department told me that this monitor was backordered and I had to wait 3-5 days to get the replacement. If it's in stock, I should get it today. I'd like to return through HP directly, since it's more reliable and I don't need to pay the return shiiping fee.

thought I would do a little recap of the panels reported here. I think the LP2065 A-MVA hysteria is a little premature according to these numbers. in my opinion it's too early to avoid ordering an LP2065 because of the few A-MVA's reported. don't pass on this great panel just yet

S-IPS Panels GSM###

amd7674 - received 2/13 from www.shopRBC.com (canada?)
ScYcS - received 2/24ish?
CAMster - received 2/15ish? from HP?
uluvbs - received 2/28 from SecureMart
KentC - received early Feb? from nerds?
Rocco - received 2/27 from Buy.com - last from Buy.com?
bennetvu - received late Feb?
kmartlife - 2nd panel received 3/2 after buying from a different vendor
okashira - unknown, from newegg
destino - received 2/22, bought in sweden
EzInKy - received 2/27 from newegg
Chas_The_Man - received late Feb from newegg
Fluffbutt - received 3/2 in australia
treborsetag - received late Feb from Techonweb
mutant - received 3/6, ordered in europe?
Shottah_king - received 3/6 from CostCentral
maximus1284 - received 3/6, ordered 2/28 from CostCentral
kingfrank - received 3/6 from Buy.com

A-MVA Panels AMM###

kmartlife - 1st panel received 2/24 from PC Connection
tucky - ordered 3/1, received 3/5 from newegg

also of interest:
Jose R visited B&H Photo and both LP2065's they had said AMM000 on the box

about returns:

CAMster wrote this earlier about returning items, I believe I've quoted it once lol

"If you ordered from HP, you'll be able to return it even if you opened the
box and checked out the monitor, but you may have to pay a restock fee
(you can request a waiver of the restock if you get a cooperative CS rep).

If you ordered it from a retailer like PC Connection, make sure to check
their policies first, as some will only exchange or give store credit when
returning an item. If in doubt, return it un-opened, and order directly from
HP (my 2065 came very quickly from them)."

I opened my MVA monitor and hooked it up. It's not that bad, so I think i'm going to keep it. I really just wanted a decent monitor for gaming, and this is definitely better than my dell 1905FP I've been using. I'm a little bit bummed out that I didn't get IPS, but it's not worth the hassle for me to try to return it (and pay restocking fees, etc) and still have a chance of getting another MVA.

I've never seen an IPS monitor, so this will do. Ignorance is bliss I guess :)

Back