The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

How does the w2207h or w2007 compare with the Samsung 2232BW+ as far as color accuracy and detail?

On my Samsung when contrast is below 70 I start to see banding and artifacts in reds and pinks sometimes blues as well. It looked better in the store but of course that means hardly anything when comparing an LCD for home use.

I edit photos quite a bit(in my opinion). Maybe 200-300 per week and watch movies.

One thing I absolutely hate about my Samsung 2232BW+ is the backlight bleed. The darker scenes don't really bother me but rather the white scenes, even Google's home page where the outer edges especially on the right side are yellowish instead of white. Anything like this on the w2207h?

I'm going on 2 weeks with my 2207h and I've been VERY pleased with it. Just recently put a DVI-HDMI cable on it (only had the VGA cable previously) and think it's just a tad sharper and no need for hitting the "Auto" button from time to time. So far, I haven't touched any of the settings, and I haven't noticed any color discrepancies or any issues worth mentioning. Most of my use is for desktop publishing, Internet stuff, and watching movies once in a while, though I also download pictures off my digital camera and touch-up any that I deem in need of it. For the record, I've dealt with & used LCD monitors before (AOC, Dell, & Samsung), so I know what to expect of them, and this one blows them all away, as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said, I really liked what I saw in the store so I think I found a good monitor. Not sure which panel it was but it looks really bright and vibrant.

Check out my Samsung's backlight bleed! It's pretty bad...

samsung2232bwbacklightrc0.jpg

Got a w2207h from Staples yesterday based on the rave reviews in this thread. Opened the box and there was nothing in it but the monitor. No cables (power, VGA, USB, sound), no manual, no CD, no warranty card - nada. Everything that was listed on the side and being included with the monitor in the box wasn't. Used the VGA and power cable from my old one for it to test it.

The monitor itself looks pretty decent, but coming from a three year old Samsung 17" with a much tighter dot pitch text and edges in games can look a bit grainy. Glare from the glossy screen takes a bit of getting used to, but its not that bad. One thing that is bugging me is the angle the screen rests at. Thanks to the nifty stand that allows you to swing it into portrait mode it sags/tilts a bit to the right in landscape. Its not much, but its enough that I keep "seeing" it. I'm one of those folks that constantly straightens pictures on walls, so something off kilter like that will eat at me. Its going back. Think I'll give the w2007 a try - the more fixed angle stand and tighter dot pitch will probably suit me better.

I just got back from Best Buy where I returned the 2232BW+ and exchanged it for an HP w2207h. Colors looks great and the whites looks better. There are two stuck or dead pixels though, one towards the left side in the middle and another toward the bottom left near the task bar. I'm trying the stuck/dead pixel fixers right now and will let them run for a few hours. Here's to hoping they are fixed.

Are these dead or stuck? The most prominent one towards the middle of the screen doesn't show on red or blue backgrounds but does show on greens and whites. The other is very dim and is hardly noticeable really.

Looks like I got a Samsung panel though. I checked for the revision and I found two STM003's. My panel is the LTM220M1-L02 version STMH4.0.

I returned that w2207h and got another one. I had a guy from Geek Squad open it up and I looked it over in the store for any defects. We thought we seen a dead pixel toward the bottom and since it was near the taskbar I didn't mind. However, once I got home the supposed dead pixel was gone. Instead there is yet another sub pixel defect.

It's not visible all the time and it seems moving around or resizing windows actually makes it change its brightness level. On a black screen is barely visible but on a black image on a white screen it glows green. On a white screen its hardly visible unless there are darker images nearby on the page. It's located about an inch to the right of the HP logo on the front and about 3 inches from the top. It isn't too noticeable but having bad OCD doesn't help.

It's another Samsung panel, STM003 and the service menu confirms this with the panel being an LTM220M1-L01.

You guys think I should keep it or try another one? I'm not sure I can keep doing this! XD

Here's the sticker on the box ; )

my.php

Yeah, considering there are 5,292,000 or so sub pixels I guess I could be lucky. At least it's not an entire pixel.

I had looked at the Samsung T220 while I was there, again, but after using a glossy screen I can't go back! TN panel or not it's the closest thing to my old CRT that I have seen.

I'll post a few pictures in a minute. I'm trying UDPixel for the heck of it. I've tried massaging it but apparently I'm not a good enough pixel therapist:D

How are the black levels on the 2207 in dark scenes (movies or games)? Do they stay a respectable shade of black or is there any blue cast to it?

How are the black levels on the 2207 in dark scenes (movies or games)? Do they stay a respectable shade of black or is there any blue cast to it?

Eh, its good enough for me. The truest blacks are always going to be CRT. The w2207 does not go 'black,' but it gets pretty dark. It also depends on your ambient lighting conditions. Like right now I have plenty of natural light coming through my windows and [H]ard|Forum looks about as black as it can. However, at night, you can see it is not totally black. Its pretty damn good though.

The best thing to do is go to a store and look at one and decide for yourself.

Eh, its good enough for me. The truest blacks are always going to be CRT. The w2207 does not go 'black,' but it gets pretty dark. It also depends on your ambient lighting conditions. Like right now I have plenty of natural light coming through my windows and [H]ard|Forum looks about as black as it can. However, at night, you can see it is not totally black. Its pretty damn good though.

I guess my main concern is making sure blacks don't turn an icky bluish-gray color when viewing something dark, especially in a dim environment. I've seen this on some other LCDs, worse on some than on others. Doesn't seem like people have reported it with this model though.

So I've had this monitor for just over a year now and within the last couple days I notice flickering green pixels on red graphics, backgrounds, etc. If I set my background to bright red I see a ton of flickering green pixels. If I set the background to black,white,blue,and green they all look fine.

Am I going to have to RMA this? I'm guessing so :(

So I've had this monitor for just over a year now and within the last couple days I notice flickering green pixels on red graphics, backgrounds, etc. If I set my background to bright red I see a ton of flickering green pixels. If I set the background to black,white,blue,and green they all look fine.

Am I going to have to RMA this? I'm guessing so :(

Gently tap them with your fingernail. Do they stop flickering?

Holy shit. I'll add it to the chart.

Quote of the chart I've been working on for those who can't find it:

I just got my W2228h this morning from a local dealer

Manufacturing date: June2008

Revision : STM001

Made in China

Service Menu*

STMH 3.4

LTM220M1-L01

So I have Samsung Panel in my W2228h

Test it thoroughly with Dead Pixel Buddy software and no backlight bleed all around the screen......

I love it !!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So I bought a w2207H the other day off of eBay with the live 30% cashback, and I got it last night. And...

it blows. Well, that's a bit harsh. I bought it as a second monitor for a dual monitor setup, and my other LCD is a Dell 2405FPW. I set it up and everything looked good, but upon closer inspection, there is some pretty severe backlight bleed (to me anyways), and the viewing angle is HORRIBLE. I have to be absolutely dead on in the center of the screen for colors to be accurate, and even then, they are noticeably warmer on top and cooler on the bottom. No stuck pixels or anything, and I think if it wasn't right next to the Dell it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm not happy at all. I checked, and it's an Innolux panel. It was INCREDIBLY cool and blue out of the box, but I calibrated it a bit better. Still, I can view the Dell from almost any angle and it looks great and uniform. The HP seems very uneven and if I even move 2 inches sometimes I can see the color change.

Is this just the result of the cheap TN panel? Is it because its the Innolux? Did I get a faulty monitor? Since I got it off ebay and it was new, the seller won't accept returns but gave me the receipt for warranty purposes. Should I just try to get used to it, try to get it repaired if it needs it, or what? Hmm, bah.

Just bought the W2207H and I use it with a Radeon HD4850 via HDMI (DVI to HDMI adapter came with card) and connected to my Xbox 360 via VGA. I have the brightness turned way down and I am using the "Text" Quick setting. I haven't spent any time tweaking the picture controls beyond that.

I think the monitor is great. My impressions:

**There is some backlight bleed visible on a black screen, but not nearly as bad as some have reported on their units. Doesn't appear to cause any visible changes in color from top to bottom or left to right.

**Colors look well saturated and natural and black levels are quite good for an LCD monitor. It has a nice deep rich picture that makes me think I have been wearing smudged glasses all these years. It doesn't compete with my plasma, but better than most computer LCD monitors I have seen.

**Tested it for dead or broken pixels and found none.

**The stand is solid and stable and the vertical and tilt adjustments have plenty of range for a desktop user. My panel is not tilted on the stand either, as some have reported. Looks straight as an arrow.

**I haven't seen any ghosting or noticed any input lag, but I do see more tearing than with my previous monitor when framerates are really high. My last monitor had a higher refresh rate (75) than this one (60) at its native res. This is probably the cause.

Overall I am really happy with it. I think the best selling point of the monitor is it's color reproduction. You get nice vivid colors and decent black levels. Your picture will not look gray or washed out like it does on many LCD monitors. I would grade it as a B+ for gaming/computer use. If you are looking for something to serve purposes beyond that, I would look for something else as the viewing angles are fairly acute and the glossy screen can be a problem in a bright room.

I bought a w2007 after two months of trying out monitors. two HPs, three Samsungs, two Asus, one Velocity Micro. Every single one had a problem - some severe. Even the w2207h I got had issues. This one (holding my breath) is the best I seen out of all of them. The blank screen is almost inky black and uniform - very little bleeding (just a thin bit on the top). Using Lagom's various tools I discovered that gamma, contrast and sharpness are almost perfect out of the box. The default 6500K color is very nearly perfect as well.

I've learned from all my "test drives" these past two months that even a highly rated and reviewed monitor can vary so wildly that you can get a piece of crap when everyone else raves about it. This one is the best monitor I've owned. It may be only 20", but sometimes I think the slightly smaller screens are better - better backlight uniformity and better image quality (clarity, contrast and color) than a 22" running the same default resolution. That much tighter pixel pitch helps.

Its not perfect - I really wish it was height/swivel adjustable. Don't care about pivot, but those two things would be nice. Oh crap. Just noticed a flaw on the screen (like a scratch in the coating) while writing this. Its four dead pixels lined up vertically. Jeez. It never ends.

O.K., hopefully this will be my last entry in Displays concerning my recent shopping. I took the w2007 back and got another w2207h - this time from Office Depot. They have it on sale this week for $249.99 (along with Staples and Circuit City).

Checked the service option on the menu and its a Samsung panel! Yay! Great image quality for a 22 inch, very even and dark panel with just a little backlight bleeding on the bottom. No dead pixels. Thank goodness, this two months of monitor shopping with 9 returns seems to finally be over.

I have two w2207h monitors and boy are they different.

The 2271-F manufactured Dec 07 is rated at 1.5 amps and the weight printed on the box is 11kg. The box says ITM002.

The 2271-F is about 7 months old and has recently developed a stuck red pixal in the center. However, its blacks are darker and its angle of view is better.

The 2271-B manufactured August 08 is rated at 1.3 amps and the weight printed is 10.1kg. The box says ATMB1-122 but the menu says version ATM102.

The 2271-B, even with the brightness set to ZERO, is a brighter grey with nothing near black. If this is lamp bleed, then the lamp is bleeding end to end. The angle of view is not as good as the 2271-F. There are no stuck pixals yet.

UPDATE:

Replaced the new w2207h 2271-B with the bad backlight bleed with a different w2207h.

This new w2207h was manufactured September 2008 marked GM757AA, 1.5 Amps, 11 kg, HSTND 2271-F version CTM001. The on screen menu system shows CTMH3.9.

Right out of the factory sealed box, it has a solidly stuck red pixal 3 inches above dead center. However, it has no bad backling bleed as the w2207h I am replacing.

If I have the energy, I might try again to find one that has no major problems.

RIP

Does anyone have a problem with their monitor going to sleep earlier than the settings they have specified in Vista? I have my display set to sleep after 45 minutes in Vista, but my w2207 will often go into sleep mode after 10 minutes or so.. Gets annoying..

Heya there guys,right i am in search for a 22' monitor but soon as i saw a W2207H i felt that finding the winner would be an easy job.There's just one 2207 at my local store and comes with the REV. GTM002 (Czech),is that a LG panel?:confused:
However the W2207H series seems to be discontinued for some reason and gets replaced with models such as w2216 (21.6'),w2216 (21.6’)/w2216v (21.6') and Pavilion w2228h(which come with a longer guarantee and much lower price for some reason).I have heard that the w2228 is similiar to w2207h with the exception of 3ms responce time instead of 5 and that it makes a buzzing noise much like the one W227WT-PF does when above 70% brightness(due to backlight inverter probably?or just poor build quality?).Anyone has one of these monitors so we can compare them to w2207?

Merry christmas fellas :D

Heya there guys,right i am in search for a 22' monitor but soon as i saw a W2207H i felt that finding the winner would be an easy job.There's just one 2207 at my local store and comes with the REV. GTM002 (Czech),is that a LG panel?:confused:
However the W2207H series seems to be discontinued for some reason and gets replaced with models such as w2216 (21.6'),w2216 (21.6’)/w2216v (21.6') and Pavilion w2228h(which come with a longer guarantee and much lower price for some reason).I have heard that the w2228 is similiar to w2207h with the exception of 3ms responce time instead of 5 and that it makes a buzzing noise much like the one W227WT-PF does when above 70% brightness(due to backlight inverter probably?or just poor build quality?).Anyone has one of these monitors so we can compare them to w2207?

Merry christmas fellas :D

I have GTM102 and it' has 92% Wide Color Gamut. Says its LPL M220WE1 and not LTM (Samsung unfortunately) I'm trying to get an opinion on whether or not I should return it or not since it's not that LTM Samsung panel but it's been over a year since those revision models and probably nobody has stock of them and they are all the new LPL panels.

I just picked up a w2207h from my local PX and got a pretty good deal. It was a floor model and I think the sales guys were really anxious to make the sale. They took 10% off the 259 it was listed for, but when I asked if it came with a DVI adapter for the HDMI or VGA, they told me it did. When they couldnt find the adapter I convinced them to take $40 total they agreed. Oh and they through in an HDMI to DVI cable. So I picked mine up for $220.

Its a hell of a lot better than the Sceptre 20" I was using, damn thing died. Colors are very nice, it was alil bright until I calibrated. Videos play really nicely. There is a bit of bleed through around the left and right, but not real noticable when gaming or watching movies. I cant believe what I was missing on the Sceptre screen. I dont like the glossy screen, but I was always a matte fan. And the ability to turn the power led off was a nice bonus.

All and all, this is one ofthe first times I am not getting buyers remorse.

Picked one up today for fun

It's Innolux. It's utter crap. If you see ATM003 on the box - AVOID AT ALL COSTS. The colors are all washed out and the backlight is so bright, the whites are burned in over everything else. Put it on gaming mode and it's literally like one of those ugly light-up paintings you hang up in cheesy restaurants.

The only plus is that there is almost no backlight bleed...(Samsung and LG problems) that's probably because it's so washed out and the backlight goes through the panel so easily that it looks even...like a piece of paper with a light shining through it! That bad!

LM220EW01-V2 -< BAAAAAD

Okay, so after playing the panel lottery 5 times, I've had this experience. All monitors manufactured October 2008.

Box sticker code: ATM003 - Innolux panel. Service menu code: LM220EW01-V2. Menus and options were all different. No scaler listed. This was like a different monitor. The worst of the worst. Probably manufactured in another factory altogether. The box and interior packing was different and cheaper. Even the buttons on the monitor felt noticibly cheaper when pressed. The panel was absolutely terrible. On gaming mode, displaying a photograph was like printing something out on your inkjet on plain paper and holding it up to your bathroom flourescent light. Backlight is way too bright, burns through colors. Everything washed out. Details on desktop icons were even made not visible due to color bleed. Backlight bleed on left and right edges. Monitor truely feels like a Chinese knockoff of the HP w2207 rather than the real thing!!!

Box sticker code: GTM91 - LG Panel. A decent panel. Service menu code: LPL M220WE1-TLB. Good for movies and games. Good color uniformity for most of the monitor except the worst thing is that I had 3 of these and all had backlight bleed on all 4 edges. It's terrible when it's on the bottom and top because watching widescreen movies leaves these areas black and the bleed is so visible it's offensive and annoying. Strange blue hue on color temperature on text mode. Colors and color bleed a little oversaturated but still miles ahead of the Innolux panel. It looks great all around except for the 4 sided backlight bleed.

Box sticker code: STM81 - Samsung panel. SEC LTM220M1-L01. Best of the best but not perfect. Good balance of color, saturation, details, contrast, brightness etc. Black levels are still very grey (but all these panels are like that). Gaming mode looks great in Crysis. It seems to be like a hardware digital vibrance that boosts color saturation in games. Overexaggerated in some other games. Everything just looks better and more balanced on this than the others. There is still backlight bleed on the left and right sides of the bezel but at least it isn't all 4 sides like the LG panels seems to be.

All these monitors were manufactured in the same month but feel like they are from different lines or factories. The Innolux had a box without a handle, wierd yellow plastic loops holding it together. A cheap half foam cover. Everyting was just knockoffy. The LG and SEC panels were similar but the SEC panel had matte stickers instead of glossy stickers on the monitor.

Heh, my ATM002 (from well over a year ago) > the GTM at the time. I suppose difficult times resulted in cuts?

So I have a question.

I currently have a w2207 and just recently ordered a w2207h monitor for dual setup. I don't think I can afford two monitors and was wondering if I decided to keep one, what would be the difference between the two besides one having HDMI? I mean would my games or videos look any different?

So I have a question.

I currently have a w2207 and just recently ordered a w2207h monitor for dual setup. I don't think I can afford two monitors and was wondering if I decided to keep one, what would be the difference between the two besides one having HDMI? I mean would my games or videos look any different?

If the panels are from different manufacturers (which they probably are), then you might notice differences in backlight bleed, viewing angles, etc. I would just sit them side by side and see which one has the best angles and the least bleed and keep that one.

As far as HDMI vs DVI, there should not be any discernible difference. HDMI is basically DVI with audio.

I take it anything with "GM" in the code is without a doubt a LG panel?

Looks that way.

Quote of the chart I've been working on for those who can't find it:

HP w2007:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code         Brand of Panel
PTG001          PTGM25             ????
ATG001          ATGM24             ????

HP w2207:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
STM001          LTM220M1-L01        Samsung
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTMV1.6         LM220WE1-TLB1       LG
ITM001          MT220WW01-V1        Innolux
ITM002          ????????????        Innolux?

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
STM002          LTM220M1-L01        Samsung
ATM002          LM220EW01-V2        Innolux
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTM002          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTM102          LPLM220E1-TLB       LG?

How to find your panel code:

1. Turn off your monitor.
2. Press and hold the 'menu' button.
3. Turn the monitor back on.
4. Release the menu button.
5. Press the menu button again.
6. A "Service..." option will appear.
7. Select it and it will display the Panel's model number at the bottom.
8. Post your findings here, if you'd like.

As far as the calibration goes: again, if you have an Nvidia based graphics card I recommend running the Monitor Calibration Wizard.

XP w/Nvidia Drivers:

1. Right-click desktop > Properties
2. Click the 'Settings' tab
3. Click the 'Advanced' button
4. Click the tab with your video card model
5. Click 'Start the NVIDIA Control Panel'
6. On the new window (in the 'Display' tree): Run display optimization wizard
7. Finish the wizard and you're "done."

You can also right-click the NVIDIA icon in your system tray, if its there, and open the NVIDIA control panel from there. This will take you directly to step 6.

That's the quick and dirty way to do it. Obviously if you know someone with a Spyder, then that would be the best way...

Last edited:
Thanks.

I know I have a different rev. number than those posted, so when I get home this weekend, I'll make sure to pop back in and give you the details. I do remember it's manufacturing date being Feb. 09

Being the OP of this thread, I feel stupid asking this but:
Is the w2207 mountable? Does it have universal mount holes?`

.__480_359_PC6.JPG

I have had this monitor ( HP w2408 ) for a 1 1/2 years now. This monitor has been nothing short of OUTSTANDING. Great features, very nice picture, not one problem.
Looking under Menu/Information it says it has 8295 backlight hours used, but still looks as good as day 1. No dead/stuck pixel problems. Uses a Samsung panel.

Just thought I would state an opinion since this is a related thread.

Last edited:
So I finally got around to putting up my second monitor, 2207h..here are my findings...

Rev. GTM102
Panel: LPL M220E1-TLB
Manufacturing Date: Feb. 2009

So again, I assume this is an LG panel? I have it sitting next to my Samsung 2207 and don't really notice much of a difference, minus the fact it's a bit brighter than my Sammy, and a very faint bar of bleeding at the top.

So I finally got around to putting up my second monitor, 2207h..here are my findings...

Rev. GTM102
Panel: LPL M220E1-TLB
Manufacturing Date: Feb. 2009

So again, I assume this is an LG panel? I have it sitting next to my Samsung 2207 and don't really notice much of a difference, minus the fact it's a bit brighter than my Sammy, and a very faint bar of bleeding at the top.

A quick google only turned up this thread, so I would assume given the revision number that it is an LG panel, but I couldn't say with absolute certainty.

Another thread pointed me to this one. I'm looking for a widescreen monitor that can handle (properly) 4:3 aspect ratios from older video cards. I need the capability in the monitor, since it may not be a new nVidia or ATI driving it.

Or in short, will this display work with DOS, Windows 98, even bios screens, etc displaying 4:3 ratios correctly? Or will it skew everything wide?

I have been using my w2007h since last August and it's still working great. Beautiful monitor and people notice it. Everyone asks what brand it is and where I bought it from. As far as "regular" LCD panels go you cannot get better than this.

I run it in text mode and occasionally switch over to movie mode when I watch movies. It does seem to attract a lot of dust on the screen.

I love playing Flight Simulator X on it! So much fun!

STM Samsung

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement lcd panel for my w2207h in the uk or would it be more economical to get a new monitor?

Just picked up a 2009M I bought a w2007 last year but couldn't use it because of eye strain problems and nausea. But I'm getting none of that from the 2009m I think it's from the bigger pixel pitch or something or just a different circut board. It's a TN pannel but boy does it look sweet =)

I do get eye strain though.... a bit or alot.... when I'm at Walmart (most evil company in the world) my eyes strain because of the lights there.

So I'm going to either switch jobs or get some contact lenses to sort things out.

I heard people having problems with Lasik vision being they are sensitive to brightness so I'm not going to consider that plus I don't live near a lasik vision center.

I'm just happy I can use 1 LCD of the four different ones I've tried out and I don't even have the brightness turnned all the way down. Have it at like 24 or something dimmed it a bit in Nvidia.

I can finally upgrade my PC too that means =) been using the same PC since 2003 3000XP AMD.

Last edited:
Back