The search by the photographer for a new screen..

I've been looking for a new screen for some time now, but I seem to be lacking options. First a bought the Dell WFP2408 (had three of those...), which was pretty bad, they did this:

http://www.neofoto.nl/show_photodb/6448/600
http://www.neofoto.nl/show_photodb/6445/600
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2446115199_0f0ab39ac8_o.jpg

So, it had to go. I made a switch for the Dell 2707, which is quite good. Unfortunately, my first panel had a hot pixel and Dell couldn't deliver a new 2707, which was unacceptable to me. Also the panels suffered from cracking sounds when warming up or cooling down and the power supplies made a buzzing noise: loud and irritating. Also, the refurbished screens I got were obviously used with scratches all over them and one even had coffee stains on the stand... As you can imagine, I'm not that eager to try the WFP2709 with this service history in mind, especially now I found out Dell is charging €55,- ex. VAT to return a monitor in The Netherlands.

But now what? My demands:

• >= 24"
  • >=1920x1200
  • Preferably wide gamut
  • Around €850,-
  • Evenly lit and homogeneous colors
  • Preferably not a Dell

I came across the Lacie 324, but I can't find a lot of reviews about it (uses almost the same panel as the WFP2408 though). I saw the LG 2600 26" S-IPS, but from what I've seen on the forum here, it will certainly not meet my demands (I'm somewhat picky ;) ). The Eizo 2411 isn't evenly lit either judging from the thread in this forum.

Tips are appreciated! :)

To make sure a monitor is evenly lit you probably need one with a function like NEC's colorcomp on trhe x90 series. Some of the Eizo screens have a similar thing. This is only going to be available on the higher end screens though.

I have a NEC 2690 Spectraview and it is very good colour wise with its hardware calibration ability and it is a wide gamut screen but costs a good bit more that 850 Euro.

NEC 2490 woudl be very good, but as it is not sold in Europe... it is hard to tell. Newer 2690WUXi can not be HW calibrated, 2690 Spectraview is quite expensive, Lacie 324 is "only" S-PVA.
It is really a difficult choice :-/

Btw, I think the Dell charging the money is illegal, you should have right to return any product bought in two weeks period for free. Or just try to RMA it, if it is buzzing. Just don't let stupid Dell to ... to... do these nasty thing to you.

Under Dutch law you are indeed permitted to send the monitor back - no questions asked. The only thing you have to pay for is the return of the monitor. Usually, this isn't a problem, the postal service costs about 12 euro for a parcel this size. Dell, however, doesn't allow sending it back with the postal service: you have to use their service. Costs 55 euro ex VAT. Absurd... Maybe, the 2709 is an option, friend of mine is going to get it. This allows me to test is thoroughly...

The 2490 indeed isn't available here, so the Lacie is a good second choice. The problem is I can't find a lot of reviews about it and it isn't available everywhere: no testing... The Nec looks good, but no dead pixel guarantee and it's quite expensive.

How does Colorcomp work anyway? I can't find the explanation :)

De eerste in je moerstaal jochie.

Review: LaCie 324 monitor
DV - Reviews - In Review: LaCie 324 Display
ColorWiki - LaCie 324
LaCie 324 LCD Monitor - Kleurecht beeldscherm
LaCie 324 LCD Monitor (First Look Review)
LaCie 324 LCD Monitor
Review: LaCie 324 LCD monitor
Monitor Breakthrough for Great Color Under $1K
ColorComp : Very brief in one line in the NEC MultiSync® LCD3090WQXi press release

They disabled the search function. But you can still search [H] through Google (not copmpletely up to date) by entering for example one of the following :
  • lacie 324 site:hardforum.com
  • colorcomp site:hardforum.com
into the Google search box. No blanks before and after the colon.

Robert
P.S. Lekker lezen maar.

Under Dutch law you are indeed permitted to send the monitor back - no questions asked. The only thing you have to pay for is the return of the monitor. Usually, this isn't a problem, the postal service costs about 12 euro for a parcel this size. Dell, however, doesn't allow sending it back with the postal service: you have to use their service. Costs 55 euro ex VAT. Absurd... Maybe, the 2709 is an option, friend of mine is going to get it. This allows me to test is thoroughly...

The 2490 indeed isn't available here, so the Lacie is a good second choice. The problem is I can't find a lot of reviews about it and it isn't available everywhere: no testing... The Nec looks good, but no dead pixel guarantee and it's quite expensive.

How does Colorcomp work anyway? I can't find the explanation :)

Then Dell is making a fun of you. And these 14 days are a common EU directive, so it is valid in all EU countries.

LaCie 324 is a PVA screen, so not as good as IPS in NECs.

LaCie 324 is a PVA screen, so not as good as IPS in NECs.
Just back from a local store here. I've seen the LaCie 324 (S-PVA, 24")and HP LP3065 (S-IPS, 30") next to each other. Both calibrated with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro software and colorimeter. The LaCie 324 in automatic mode, and the HP in manual mode.
True, the Lacie 324 still showed the gamma shift typical off any *VA panel.
But it was hardly noticable. You had to bend in extreme/uncomfortable positions to see it. I don't know how LaCie managed to do this, but it is much better (much less) than the gamma shift still noticable on the Samsung XL24. (Which I already have looked at twice, and I thought looked better than other *VA panels.)

In the end, and personally, I found the HP LP3065 suited better for my purposes, than the LaCie 324. But alas it comes without a monitor hood. Otherwise I had directly placed an order for two. Too bad Photodon changed their mind on what they quoted. Saying that they could not ship overseas after all.
Just too bad they didn't have a LaCie 526 in stock or unboxed at the shop.

Just back from a local store here. I've seen the LaCie 324 (S-PVA, 24")and HP LP3065 (S-IPS, 30") next to each other. Both calibrated with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro software and colorimeter. The LaCie 324 in automatic mode, and the HP in manual mode.
True, the Lacie 324 still showed the gamma shift typical off any *VA panel.
But it was hardly noticable. You had to bend in extreme/uncomfortable positions to see it. I don't know how LaCie managed to do this, but it is much better (much less) than the gamma shift still noticable on the Samsung XL24. (Which I already have looked at twice, and I thought looked better than other *VA panels.)

In the end, and personally, I found the HP LP3065 suited better for my purposes, than the LaCie 324. But alas it comes without a monitor hood. Otherwise I had directly placed an order for two. Too bad Photodon changed their mind on what they quoted. Saying that they could not ship overseas after all.
Just too bad they didn't have a LaCie 526 in stock or unboxed at the shop.

So you decided to go the LP3065 way? Its price is very good, no doubt.

So you decided to go the LP3065 way? Its price is very good, no doubt.
Unless I get to see a 2690 or 526. Yes! But no monitor hood is a showstopper, end of story. The room is just too bright (glass windows and doors from ceiling to floor).

NEC 2490 woudl be very good, but as it is not sold in Europe... it is hard to tell. Newer 2690WUXi can not be HW calibrated, 2690 Spectraview is quite expensive, Lacie 324 is "only" S-PVA.
It is really a difficult choice :-/

Btw, I think the Dell charging the money is illegal, you should have right to return any product bought in two weeks period for free. Or just try to RMA it, if it is buzzing. Just don't let stupid Dell to ... to... do these nasty thing to you.

Newer 2690WUXi can not be HW calibrated
My friend, please do not repeat this nonsense.

My friend, please do not repeat this nonsense.

Well, prove me I'm wrong. You just pop-up here and there and say that it is not true, but you prove nothing. I know you have US 2490WUXi, you don't have a newer EU 2690WUXi, so why do you just claim EU 2690WUXi can be HW calibrated, when it can't?
People even posted screens from various calibration software.
If you can prove newer EU 2690WUXi can be fully HW calibrated, you will make some people happy.

(I can use larger fonts and clours too, you know?)

I can use larger fonts and clours too, you know?

Instead try to post what you know for sure.:)

I don't have to prove you are wrong or not.
This is your responsibility to justify what you post. Thousands of people read this forum.

You can post anything from your own experience.
OR
You provide a link to a source of information (even to a dummy)
OR
At least you clearly add IMHO
OR
You are a person "New Thread: Why IPS panel on the Dell 2408 gets darker when I look from underneath?" - I am sure you are not.:)

Get 2690WUXi, get SpectraViewII, get Blue Eye Pro and try.
Then post.
Many will thank you for either "yes" or "no".

Until that:
You can post anything from your own experience.
OR
You provide a link to a source of information (even to a dummy)
OR
At least you clearly add IMHO
OR
You are a person "New Thread: Why IPS panel on the Dell 2408 gets darker when I look from underneath?" - I am sure you are not.:)

Well, I think we should be careful, so people don't accidentally buy a WUXi model and become frustrated that ic can't be calibrated. There are threads about it.
About the EU WUXi is not supposed to be HW calibratable, I know it from a NEC person whose identity I won't disclose. They did it so they could sell 2690 SV for an extra price.

I'm sure the job can't be done with the EU SV profiler, but you are right, we are not sure it can't be HW calibrated with the US SVII (but it is better to be cautious). That's why... PM.

We could be saved all of this if NEC would follow the same policy in the EU as it has in the USA.

Back