Time Warner Cable Jacking Up Modem Fees Again

Hmm renting my SBG6850 from TWC...and I see an SB6121 on sale locally for $70. Purchase will pay itself off in 6 months.

Hmm renting my SBG6850 from TWC...and I see an SB6121 on sale locally for $70. Purchase will pay itself off in 6 months.

Huh? $70 ÷ $5.99/month = 11.7 months

That said I wish I could find a way around DirecTV's DVR fee, at least a way that's similar to what I have now.

Just skip out on Internet service through cable. Its on your iPhone anyhow so buying cable service is redundant. Why pay for access to the same websites twice?

I take it you don't play online games or download anything, not even Windows updates. :rolleyes:

at $72 a year, they just WANT people to buy their own modems. People aren't stupid.

Can anyone recommend a good budget wireless modem for TWC?

Cheapest way is to keep a separate wireless router.

The old docsis2 modems are really cheap on ebay. I'm using a cisco modem that's no longer officially supported by TWC, but still works fine with TWC.

Just because the modem is not on their webpage doesn't mean it won't work.

I take it you don't play online games or download anything, not even Windows updates. :rolleyes:

Online games are so 2005 and Windows only has to be updated if you're online. If you leave your computer off the Internet and just go through your phone, you don't have to worry about updates. Why would anyone even want to use their word processor to play games when they can just buy a console or play on their phone?

I rent my modem from Comcast. Use to own my own, but they would only last about 6 months, less hassle to rent and just call up when it fails.

I've been paying Comcast $7 a month for years. This is nothing. I refuse to buy my own though as I have had to replace this cheap piece of garbage 9 times in the last 2 years. One day they will make a good quality cable modem that doesn't blow up every couple of months.

Get a moto surfboard... Lasts at least a few years for me.

I bought my own modem last year when TWC first started charging for them. The funny part is that I still need my old modem (which they don't charge me for) in order to have their phone service.

Online games are so 2005 and Windows only has to be updated if you're online. If you leave your computer off the Internet and just go through your phone, you don't have to worry about updates. Why would anyone even want to use their word processor to play games when they can just buy a console or play on their phone?

Your troll logic is amazing.

Yes you just call with the MAC, but then it takes a few days to a couple weeks for them to get to switching it.

Holy crap on a cracker, that long? Cox cable here, call them up, give 'em the MAC address and in <3 minutes you are up and going.

They used to charge rental fees here as well, but they recently did away with them and have since been trying to get everyone in the area onto new company provided modems for free.

Even though my personally owned modem was a DOCSIS 3.0 model from Motorola that was only about a year old, they claimed I could get faster speeds by using a "better" modem that they would provide me for free, and I was also informed they were trying to phase customer owned modems off their system...

It is a cycle and depends on who is in charge and how they show in a power point presentation that week that it is in the best interest of the company. My local firm required you use their modem, but they did not change a fee. They added a fee, but then allowed you to bring your own. So I switched. Eventually they will have a new person make a PowerPoint presentation saying we can save XXX millions by having all consumers use inhouse modems.

A few years later management will be looking at the cost of buying tons of new modems because of a new standard and then force consumers to bring their own or pay a fee. Then the modems will be cheap and plentiful and they will switch back.

I rent my modem from Comcast. Use to own my own, but they would only last about 6 months, less hassle to rent and just call up when it fails.

Either you have bad luck or something is wrong with your signal that forces the modem to work harder. I have never had a modem fail, but I have had to have parts replaced to keep the signal quality high.

Hahaha, So TWC decides they need more money and add in a modem rental fee and throw it at their already loyal subscribers. The loyal subscribers fight back and purchase their own modems to avoid the fee. TWC fights back since now the initial pool that they were going to suck these funds from has dropped. TWC nearly doubles the rental fee.

Utility Companies act the same way. You guys use too much power and need to be more efficient. The customers respond and start using high efficiency bulbs and making better energy choices. Now the Utility Companies respond, now that you guys aren't using as much power, we need to charge you more to compensate....HUH???? How is this considered ok....

I bought my own SBG6580. Works great. They transferred my service to the new modem in a couple minutes. Fuck paying them to rent a modem.

Either you have bad luck or something is wrong with your signal that forces the modem to work harder. I have never had a modem fail, but I have had to have parts replaced to keep the signal quality high.

Easy to make them fail. Put them in an enclosed space where the unit cannot breath. Cable modems run hot, if you strangle them of fresh air to cool, they'll cook.

It is good that you have a choice at least. Many people don't. As far as the "free" rental.. you were always being charged, you just didn't know it.

Flat monthly service fee of $54.95 for their regular plan
or
Monthly service fee of $51.00 + $3.95 modem fee (before the increase anyways)

Same price before and after, but it gives modem owners a way to get out of the rental fee that was previously mandatory.

They tacked $3.95 onto what I was already paying. When I first signed up it was with a different company that was bought out by tw

6120 should work, Only difference between a 6120 and 6121 is 6121 comes with a MOCA filter built in where as 6120 doesn't

Should doesn't work with TWC. I purchased my own modem a few months ago. I bought a SB6141, but was sent a SB6180. They are both very similar, both DOCIS 3.0 modems. But the later isn't on their compatibility list. Before sending it back I spoke with a TWC engineer and we tried to activate it anyway. The modem would get signal, but I couldn't get internet access. After trying for about a half hour they concluded that it wasn't going to work. I bought another 6141 and setup took under 10 minutes and was simple.

If this affects you, save yourself the trouble and stick to their approved list.

Just skip out on Internet service through cable. Its on your iPhone anyhow so buying cable service is redundant. Why pay for access to the same websites twice?

What if you're AT&T/iPhone?

Is 14.4k fast enough to load a page before the battery dies on the iPhone?

Easy to make them fail. Put them in an enclosed space where the unit cannot breath. Cable modems run hot, if you strangle them of fresh air to cool, they'll cook.

Yes but that would be something which could be prevented. They also work harder if you have a bad quality signal, making the problems worse. Maybe the person with the six month cycle lives in a very hot climate without cooling. Maybe it is salty humid air or high sulfur in their drywall.

Brand name was a good guess as well, I have had good luck, but only purchase Motorola.

Yes but that would be something which could be prevented. They also work harder if you have a bad quality signal, making the problems worse. Maybe the person with the six month cycle lives in a very hot climate without cooling. Maybe it is salty humid air or high sulfur in their drywall.

Brand name was a good guess as well, I have had good luck, but only purchase Motorola.

He could have bad power/wiring as well...those kind of devices are really touchy if not on a good power conditioner/surge protector.

Couple this with TWC about to get rid of CBS, they're going to have a lot of pissed ex-customers on their hands. :D

I'd purchased a SB6141 last year because of Time Warner's bullshit. I recently got a friend to buy a SB6141, also. Looks like I'll have some more friends jumping on board.

LOL @ comcast, last year they tack on a modem rental fee. I was like WTF, I bought this and installed it myself a few years back. Whoops. Companies do shit like that all the time, apply global changes to everyone as a means of 'fixing the glitch' and maximizing profit.

I'm still using a Motorola SB5101 i found in a shed behind my house. Oh darn, only 36mb instead of 50, fuck it, it was free.

And these assholes wonder why the first second there's comparable competition everyone jumps ship and leaves them dead in the water.

I finally replaced my TWC "UBEE" DOCSIS 3.0 router / modem with a Motorola SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 and TP-LINK TL-WDR3600. With my 50 / 5 connection I was getting 30 - 45 down and 3 - 4.7 up. Now I'm at 58 down and 5.25 up. Best money I ever spent!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got my modem installed on Thursday. Simple call to TW had me up and running in about 10 minutes from the time I dialed the number to the time I hung up. Returned the ubee modem I had to my local office. done deal.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Yes. I just got this emai, at 2 am. At first there was no charge, then it was 1.99, 3 months later its 5.99 and they just disconnected CBS from me! They sent me another email the same day to upgrade my speed by 10mb/s for $10.

Its the only ISP where I am, they're a monopoly.

That's stupid. you can get CBS from a regular antenna. Why would you need cable for that.

My TWC is ~$38/mo with my own Motorola SB6121 cable modem, ~14Mbps standard speed . Is faster any better?

Back