Trouble keeping i7 920 cool with spinQ

MGDMN

2[H]4U
So, I purchased the thermaltake spinQ cooler for i7 yesterday, got it installed per the instructions and I went to work testing out the temps and im totally at a loss as to why my load temps are so high. Idle temps are at 39, 39, 34, 35 but when I stress all 4 cores with prime95 my temps jump up to high 70's and a couple of times core 0 and core 1 hit 80-81C. Now I know that the i7's are suppose to run a little hot but shouldnt this cooler work slightly better than that? I used arctic silver for thermal compound and I have reseated the heatsink 3 times all with the same results. I am at a loss.

those are my temps with the stock intel cooler...

are you stressing all 8 threads? or just the 4 physical cores?

Can you provide your ambient room temp?

Also how much CFM does the fan on taht spinQ suppose to push?

also are these overclocked settings or stock?

Ambient room temp is around 76F. The fan is rated at Fan Speed: 1000 1600 RPM
# Max. Air Flow: 86.5 CFM and its currently running on high at the 1600 rpm's. I am running the i7 920 with the extreme setting in the bios that overclocks the core to 2.8ghz.

Did you not look up reviews for that cooler before you bought it? If I remember correctly, I wasn't impressed at all by it when I looked at reviews for it.

You may have gotten one with a faulty heatpipe or two... I have seen it happen on different coolers before.

Hmm ya something is not right at only 2.8Ghz you are breaking 80c full load on 2 of the cores and that fan pushes 86CFM....

Is Hyperthreading on or off?

Hyperthreading is on. I knew it wasnt the best cooling solution I could have bought but I also expected better performance than the stock intel cooler.

Ya I could. I just bought it from the local best buy. So far from what I can tell everything points to it being faulty. I appreciate the help guys.

Back