Two Worlds is the best computer game/RPG I've played in some time

wow if your system is getting 35-60fps, then this thing would bring my system to it's knees like a cheap taiwanese hooker:D

Well, I'm also running 1680x1050 w/ 8x AA and HDR enabled full detail... if you backed it down you should be fine I'm certain.

Yeah once I changed my settings on my video card and not just in the game settings the game seemed to scale up fairly close to what your SS are showing.

I also agree the horse is really buggy. Causes some real aggravation at times. I've actually lost two horses so far to bugs. (due to magic killing it trying to get out of mystery area that cause it to be stuck)

As for the question about melee: with Oblivion you were able to control the direction of your swing. It at least gave me the illusion could control my melee combat. Which this game is more like play Diablo. Just click a bunch of times and a pre-determined type of swing goes. I'm hoping later in the game with increased skills that it'll make it a little more dynamic. BTW has anyone figured out how to increase your melee skills? So far i've found the archery guy and Necromancer trainer.

Has anyone tried using Archery at all? My attempts ended in my death so I gave up pretty quick.

Yeah once I changed my settings on my video card and not just in the game settings the game seemed to scale up fairly close to what your SS are showing.

I also agree the horse is really buggy. Causes some real aggravation at times. I've actually lost two horses so far to bugs. (due to magic killing it trying to get out of mystery area that cause it to be stuck)

As for the question about melee: with Oblivion you were able to control the direction of your swing. It at least gave me the illusion could control my melee combat. Which this game is more like play Diablo. Just click a bunch of times and a pre-determined type of swing goes. I'm hoping later in the game with increased skills that it'll make it a little more dynamic. BTW has anyone figured out how to increase your melee skills? So far i've found the archery guy and Necromancer trainer.

Has anyone tried using Archery at all? My attempts ended in my death so I gave up pretty quick.

Yes, archery/melee/fire magic were my strong points. My bow ended up dealing 3,400damage total - a one shot drop for practically everything.

As for melee, the actual basic strike is basic, click and it goes... however that is deceiving. You can specialize in many different skills which are actively controlled. Such as pounding your enemy in the face with your shield, breaking their sword, etc... all of these are skills that must be taught to you by different people, and then improved via skill points... you can control these during a fight. Also, there are quick keys you can bind to each skill slot. In a given fight, you might choose to kick dirt into your enemies eyes, then sidestep and take a few strikes, when they go to attack, you hop backwards, and then hop back in and then try to break their sword, again sidestep and attempt fake a shield blow and attack their leg, to prevent them from being able to run away, or sidestep.. etc..

it gets very complicated and intricate if you want it to, or, it's also fluid in the effect that anyone can just click away... but just wait until you run into someone who knows what they are doing.. and you end up limping away with a broken sword, a bruised leg, no shield, and they stole your bow from you... you'll think twice before just "clicking away."

Archery is by far a slow process, which takes a lot of skill points to perfect. Once you get about 60% vested in the knowledge you will see improvements. There are 4 different techniques you can learn/practice... fast drawing, overdrawing, accuracy, and initial pull - for rapid firing. Also, there are other tricks I haven't figured out yet... some of my enemies fire 3 arrows at a time.. I don't know what the hell they are doing but I'll figure it out.

As for Magic - it mushrooms into unbelievable complexity if you study deep into it. Expec to spend many hours trying different potions before you understand a pattern to get what you want. Eventually after many failures and some success you will have a cookbook which is quite effective in getting what you want. The actual spells themselves have 5 different tiers based on 15 levels of experience required to operate them. The spells do not do astronomical damage, however a plethora of multipliers/doublers/modifiers are available which used in the correct way will yield castastrophic damage. The level 5 spells are rare and hard to come by - with cost not even being factored in. I don't quite understand the robes 100% - I believe they are a contrast to armor in being they don't carry as high benefits to magic spells as any armor you have will. However, you can have many magic properties to any piece of armor, the more magic they contain, the more they cost/are worth - drastically.

The economy of the game is complex - and making money is at first difficult and time consuming, but once you get going, it's not very difficult. The most important thing you should do is collect frequently occuring items... there are literally thousands of items, and hundreds of every set of armor/quiver/bow etc... collecting frequently occuring items allows you to stack their attributes and build a more powerful item - which will be worth more - the objective is no volume, it's quality. I normally collect about 5 sets of gloves/boots/quivers and maybe 1 or 2 sets of armor and just stack them as best as I can from pillaged enemies and villages... then I sell them off to small outlying merchants which pay a premium.

You had me at "pounding your enemies face with your shield"...... where do I sign up!!!!

Hey cerebrex thanks for all the info it is much appreciated. Can you answer one thing for me? One thing that really bothered me about Oblivion was lack of NPC's in cities and on roads. They were all barren of population in my opinion. How does this feature compare in 2W to Oblivion?

Hey cerebrex thanks for all the info it is much appreciated. Can you answer one thing for me? One thing that really bothered me about Oblivion was lack of NPC's in cities and on roads. They were all barren of population in my opinion. How does this feature compare in 2W to Oblivion?

There are many different kinds of NPC's... there are wood cutters/groms/ghouls/orcs/many more which you will find strewn about the forests - they are violent sometimes. There are also Bandits which you can find in camps randomly around the countryside... they will fight you (as will all of the previous mentioned).. but as you start getting a reputation for being a bad motherfucker they will try to bribe/reason with you to let them be. There are many packs of wolves/monsters in the forest and countryside.. and it's also littered with rabbits, snakes, etc...

Also, you can find random houses in the countryside that have villagers/mages/etc...

There are many different kinds of NPC's... there are wood cutters/groms/ghouls/orcs/many more which you will find strewn about the forests - they are violent sometimes. There are also Bandits which you can find in camps randomly around the countryside... they will fight you (as will all of the previous mentioned).. but as you start getting a reputation for being a bad motherfucker they will try to bribe/reason with you to let them be. There are many packs of wolves/monsters in the forest and countryside.. and it's also littered with rabbits, snakes, etc...

Also, you can find random houses in the countryside that have villagers/mages/etc...

Would you say more/less/the same number on npc's in the cities? Also is it true that you can fight from horseback?

Would you say more/less/the same number on npc's in the cities? Also is it true that you can fight from horseback?

yes, you can fight from horseback - you do more damage - some players can study the ability to pull you off your horse... you can do a joust manuever on an opponent to throw them off their horse if you can ambush them from a treeline.

The cities has MANY NPC's - but it depends on the city you are in. The city of Cathalon - the capital - probably has ~100 maybe more.

yes, you can fight from horseback - you do more damage - some players can study the ability to pull you off your horse... you can do a joust manuever on an opponent to throw them off their horse if you can ambush them from a treeline.

The cities has MANY NPC's - but it depends on the city you are in. The city of Cathalon - the capital - probably has ~100 maybe more.

Sweet! I am now VERY interested in this game.

Sweet! I am now VERY interested in this game.

1603071213172W_Scr_212_0800.jpg

Theres a shot from inside a courtyard in a city, that's about how many villagers you will see in any given section of a market - but there are many markets in a large city.

0809060156362W_Scr_85_0800.jpg

Also, the game has dynamic night/day and weather which is pretty cool and realistic... it gets foggy sometimes..etc.

0408060157042W_Scr_67_0800.jpg

sunset..

Awesome pics!

SO the version that has been released in germany would be th retail version of the 1.3 beta? Do you know if it includes english text/vioce acting?

Awesome pics!

SO the version that has been released in germany would be th retail version of the 1.3 beta? Do you know if it includes english text/vioce acting?
I can't be sure. - it's probably a retail version, but the equivalent. It is a german company, so the voice acting might be in german.

Is it english in the beta? I doubtt they would have had the time and resources to act everything in 2 languages.

Heres a short vid I recorded... basically I just started the game over, and I've encountered a group of bandits... right as I attack I'm surrounded by some wild boars also, I took a few shots (hopping backwards to avoid a blade) and then took off into the forest to pick them off with my bow.

nothing incredible, but shows the combat (and me being stupid).

http://jadefalcon.shackspace.com/Vids/2W_runaway.wmv

I apologize for the frame rate - I was running 1680x1050 full detail and 8x AA AND recording the vid.

Sweet. I see the comparisons to Diablo 2 might be fairer than the oblivion ones in regards to game play from that vid. It looks awesome.

I agree, this game is looking better and better all the time. Seems like this game picks up where most leave off in the fact that you can become VERY specialized in a specific technique. Hopefully, it will be as good as it looks and I found recommended specs and it seems that my system will be part of the recommended except they ask you have AT LEAST 1gb of ram, but then again what game doesnt these days. Guess I will be looking for another stick of G.Skill to dump into my system possibly upgrade to a 7900GS or so for the extra framerates..

im lvl 14 now.. am i the only one encountering massive groups of bandits which are a pain in the ass to take out??

The melee guys are no problem but the archers can one shot me, my guy is mainly a warrior type with half-plate armor between class 2 and class 6.

im lvl 14 now.. am i the only one encountering massive groups of bandits which are a pain in the ass to take out??

The melee guys are no problem but the archers can one shot me, my guy is mainly a warrior type with half-plate armor between class 2 and class 6.

the archers should always be your first target. A strategy I've employed on my new game (100% combat effectiveness - 148 kills - 0 deaths for me so far) to make attacking them easier is to train in sneak (hotkey 2 if skilled) and sneak up behind the archers, and then unleash hell upon them - throw magic spells, slash the hell out of them. Archers are helpless in melee combat, they will scatter and try o take refuge into the melee fighters of the group. If you push the pace they won't ever make it.

and don't forget the honorable words of monty python - "run away!" if it gets too hot.

are you spending the skill points you are given? Try to get yourself to 650 health and you should avoid a one shot drop.

Thanks for the screen shots and the video Cerebrex! The shots of the villagers really helped. So as I understand it, if you get killed you will respawn at the closest spawn point in the map? Is there any penalty you suffer for dying like loss of equipment or stats? I would hope so.

Thanks for the screen shots and the video Cerebrex! The shots of the villagers really helped. So as I understand it, if you get killed you will respawn at the closest spawn point in the map? Is there any penalty you suffer for dying like loss of equipment or stats? I would hope so.

Death penalties are a crutch to make easy games feel harder, without actually becoming harder.

you loose combat effectiveness. I believe your effectiveness (percentage of kills/deaths) is some derivative multiplier of your skill point/level increase speed.

i havent been able to find the beta client anywhere. did the devs close it or something???

today just announced they are going to beta 1.4 - looks like retail is still as of yet not complete - they cite balancing changes.

Death penalties are a crutch to make easy games feel harder, without actually becoming harder.

Actually, death penalties serve a much greater purpose than that. As convenient as that explanation is, it simply isn't the reason behind having them.

Having death penalties makes you not want to die. In a game like WoW, death is trivial. People will charge into battle with little to no strategy because they know in the end: death is no big deal. In a game where a lot is at stake, a player is much more likely to develop strategies, work in teams, and do everything they can to ensure things go smoothly to prevent their character's demise.

Having death penalties makes you not want to die. In a game like WoW, death is trivial. People will charge into battle with little to no strategy because they know in the end: death is no big deal. In a game where a lot is at stake, a player is much more likely to develop strategies, work in teams, and do everything they can to ensure things go smoothly to prevent their character's demise.

I disagree. Not being a moron makes you not charge in and die without planning, teamwork, or strategy. Wanting to succeed, the "carrot" rather than the "stick" is sufficient motivation when implemented properly.

People don't abandon tactics and strategy in an FPS like Counter Strike, and there's absolutely no death penalty there. The penalty for playing poorly is not succeeding.

I disagree. Not being a moron makes you not charge in and die without planning, teamwork, or strategy. Wanting to succeed, the "carrot" rather than the "stick" is sufficient motivation when implemented properly.

People don't abandon tactics and strategy in an FPS like Counter Strike, and there's absolutely no death penalty there. The penalty for playing poorly is not succeeding.

The penalty in CS is having to watch most of the game and only being able to buy pistols... I think it's the same type of idea, as long as it's all balanced.

I agree, there should be a bit of a penalty for dying, it makes the game more interesting and keeps you on your toes in combat. I remember playing Asheron's Call and that was scary if you died you got a deduction of your skills until you made some XP back and also had the chance of dropping things, the higher level you were the more stuff you dropped. Made PvP very interesting ;)

And in regards to the game, I'm downloading it, looks good. But I'm just wondering, it's a Single Player too, so is it like a Diablo/Dungeon Siege/Titan Quest type game, or is it more like Oblivion? Do whatever you want type game?

Edit: Ah, from Cerebrex's video I see it looks very similar to Diablo/Dungeon Siege. I liked those games, but hopefully it has a bit more to offer... I found those games were fun for a while, but then got really boring... games like Morrowind and Oblivion at least help my attention for a lot longer for sheer number of places to go/things to do.

counterstrike had a big death penalty - a) you had to sit there and wait for the round to end not doing a damn thing but twiddling your thumbs, b) your kill/death ratio increased.

I don't know about you, but I played real conservatively on a 24 player server because I didnt want to sit on my ass watching others have fun.

as far as the graphics - 2W annihilates oblivion IMHO - I never liked the blurry low res aliased looking models oblivion had to offer.

TwoWorlds_004.jpg

it runs like butter too, on my rig i have 4x AA and 4x ANISO at 1280*1024 and it is so smooth... makes me wonder why oblivion was such a resource hog.

what do you think of it?

its pretty awesome EXCEPT for the horse riding which is just badly designed.

Also the quests are super vague... like no direction at all. I have one quest that is like 'find this guy in the world somewhere' with no clue to where he could be... let alone who or what he is.

Im really digging the graphics, cant figure out how to get skills like duel wield, its like talent points when you level up except 6/10 of the talents are greyed out.. i have no idea why.

Also the item upgrading is pretty wicked, say you have a plate chestpiece it has a level assigned to it, like 1. You go kill a guy and he has the same chestpiece, you combine his with yours and you now have a lvl 2 plate chestpiece with higher def stats. Also say your chest had +2 to vitality and his had + 10 to dex, the stat bonuses combine. I am starting to get some pretty awesome gear.

My only final gripe is that in terms of storyline im confused most of the time, its like going to someones house and playing his save game of an rpg.. there is just no backstory to explain what is going on....

All in all ive put like 6 hours in and am still having trouble pulling myself away.

its pretty awesome EXCEPT for the horse riding which is just badly designed.
it isn't so bad in the later version - they are working on this though.

Also the quests are super vague... like no direction at all. I have one quest that is like 'find this guy in the world somewhere' with no clue to where he could be... let alone who or what he is.
Check your map - F6 quick key, or F2 then map drop-down and mouse over the glowing areas - make sure to actually listen to the conversions - it's important.

Im really digging the graphics, cant figure out how to get skills like duel wield, its like talent points when you level up except 6/10 of the talents are greyed out.. i have no idea why.
you have to be taught them by different people - they will charge you money to teach you how to do something - then you need to skill point up to master it - try villagers/mages that sit off the beaten path or way back in a quiet neighborhood in a village.

Also the item upgrading is pretty wicked, say you have a plate chestpiece it has a level assigned to it, like 1. You go kill a guy and he has the same chestpiece, you combine his with yours and you now have a lvl 2 plate chestpiece with higher def stats. Also say your chest had +2 to vitality and his had + 10 to dex, the stat bonuses combine. I am starting to get some pretty awesome gear.
Always take the more magic armor and build on it - it will become priceless with the more stats they carry.

My only final gripe is that in terms of storyline im confused most of the time, its like going to someones house and playing his save game of an rpg.. there is just no backstory to explain what is going on....
I believe the retail version will be much more in depth - no need to hire a bunch of actors and voice overs for a bunch of beta testers.

All in all ive put like 6 hours in and am still having trouble pulling myself away.
;)

This game sounds awesome, and just my type. I'm assuming you have to be a beta tester to play it now?

Yes, the retail will be out soon however.

I've attached some screenshots to show some of the varying terrain and how cities are rendered. It's impressive how seemless the environments are... you can see cities off in the distance for miles... takes quite some time to get there too.. even on horseback.

TwoWorlds_011.jpg

Where my money!

TwoWorlds_005.jpg

Ducked out of the way of the one Grom's long spear, and got the other one square in the torso... get some.

TwoWorlds_006.jpg

This is a teleport. Your character can swim, and it's a skill you can train for as well.

TwoWorlds_009.jpg

Gorgeous HDR usage.

TwoWorlds_008.jpg

City of Quadinaar off in the distance.

TwoWorlds_010.jpg

Approaching the gates.

Those screens look awesome! Cerebrex, what are you doing to that poor woman in the first pic? haha

I think the world though kind of looks like Oblivion though from the screen shots, like they used the same textures or something for their far-away lands and grass. Trees too. But it still looks amazing, I'm really looking forward to giving it a go. And it looks true, the people in the game look a LOT more detailed than in Oblivion. yay!

Back