unhappy_mage, a recommendation.

Huh, newegg is selling them for less than some closing on eBay... silly people.

I know Oldbenwa has a Linksys, I could swap with him (have a few around here) if nothing pans out. Now sure what Ben has, or if he is interested in this idea.

I was going to say thing might be an iffy idea since people could not buy these new, but newegg has them so good to go.

You can still find them in stores if you look a bit. Amazon also has them. The WRT54GL is a v4.0 as well with a new name.

It appears newegg is giving out v5's, which are no good. Your best bet is to check the model # at a RadioShack or somewhere similar. Hell, crack open the box to make sure, they usually let you open anything up you want in there. :p

Edit: Meh, found a few on eBay. Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LINKSYS-WRT...ryZ71501QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I might go check RadioShack tomorrow for a v3/v4 for kicks, maybe pick it up for the sake of the [H]orde if they have one.

Edit #2: Found a code list to check the box to see which version is hiding inside.

CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0
CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2
CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0
CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1
CDFA = WRT54G v4.0

CGN0 = wrt54gs v1.0
CGN1 = wrt54gs v1.0
CGN2 = wrt54gs v1.1
CGN3 = wrt54gs v2.0
CGN4 = wrt54gs v2.1
CGN5 = wrt54gs v3.0
CGN6 = wrt54gs v4.0

Full Folding Ahead!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally I have something constructive to add to a thread.

Since it looks like the WRT54G doesn't have enough memory to distribute FAH files why not just add more?

http://kiel.kool.dk:27/

SD card reader + GPIO pins = super pimpin' solution :cool:

How much are we talking about $$.

Unhappy, I might be able to fund purchasing one. Let me know how much and I can transfer funds to you.

In the neighborhood of $70. That's for the "best" version, if I can find it anywhere - the WRT54GS, version 3.0. Thanks for the offer, and I'll totally understand if $70 is a little steep. I figured they'd be in the neighborhood of $40, but I guess not.

I can't find anywhere that sells specific models; the serial number to look for for the v3 is CGN5. If anyone finds that model local to them, please let me know. Check the next time you're in BB or wherever; they're likely to be the far suckier and unsupported CGN7 v5 version, which doesn't run Linux, but it's worth a try.

If nobody can find the v3 GS (and it's pretty likely) the only really safe choice is the WRT54GL, serial number CL7A. It has half the ram and half the flash, but it's probably easier to find. Not any cheaper, though - $68 shipped was the least I found it for.

Edit: other routers (eg non-linksys) might also be acceptable; see the table of hardware.

Is there a reason for the GS over the G? The only thing the GS has is "speed booster" which is a bit gimmicky if you ask me. ;) And I have the chart above that shows all of the versions of the WRT54G that are compabile (I believe, pretty sure all pre-v5 are compatible). Also, is there a reason v3 is better than v4? I'd assume the v4 had something improved on it, but then again the v5 is hardly an improvement.

Edit: Ahh, I see the GS has 2x the RAM....perhaps I'll have to look into one of those then. But it'd be nice to sneak it into the G as well, just cut out some of the extraneous stuff. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

The reason isn't the Speed Booster, a marketing gimmick if I ever heard one, but the amount of ram and flash on it: [8, 32] on the GSv3, [4,16] on the GSv4, [4,16] on the GL, and [4,16] again on the Gv4. It'd make for a nicer development box, probably, but no biggie.

Edit: hopefully i'd be able to get it into [4,16], but it's nice to have a little room to play before I get there.

I'm going to stop by a few stores in about 20 mins, I'll post when I get back if I found anything or not. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

I have 5 of these laying around. As a matter of fact I have a GS in my laptop bag right behind me. (Yes I went crazy when I saw one on sale I would buy one.)

If you send it back I'll gladly loan you one.

moetop said:
I have 5 of these laying around. As a matter of fact I have a GS in my laptop bag right behind me. (Yes I went crazy when I saw one on sale I would buy one.)

If you send it back I'll gladly loan you one.

Are they the right model? Reaosn I ask is mage is working at closign an eBay deal at 60+ right now. Be nice to save the bucks.

Check the serial # with the numbers above to see if you have what he needs. ;) Preverrably v3 of the GS.

Mage, I found a WRT54GS v1.1 (starts with serial CGN2) at our local radio shack if you can't get a v3 WRT54GS via eBay or free from moe. ;) Let me know, I'm off to get some lunch. I can look around some more if needed, plenty of places to check within a 35 minute radius that gives me a reason to get out of the house. :)

Full Folding Ahead!

Speaking of the right model... the one I had found on eBay wasn't a wrt54gs like I thought, but rather a wrt54g. Much less exciting, and pretty overpriced for that; you can get a 54g v4 for $40ish. I'm going to wait on a response from moetop before I go buying anything, that's for sure.

The only reason I specified v3 of the wrt54gs is because of the memory and I figured it'd be easier to find the newer models; anything from 1.0 to 3.0 will be great. In any case, I'll wait before making any snap decisions. The only thing I hate more than dealing with *my* money is dealing with *other people's* money. :rolleyes:

Well if moetop doesn't have the series we need, maybe we can get some people to pitch in for one. It'll cost me $90 + tax (gotta love RadioShack pricing :rolleyes: ) minus a $20 MIR, for the "$69.99" price they show on the shelf. I might take a road trip tonight to see what else I can dig up (I'd rather find a v3, mainly because "something" had to have been upgraded from 1.1-3, plus I think I can find one cheaper if I look around), but if a few people wanna donate towards the purchase, I'll gladly pick it up and send it out your way, mage. I have a CC that's got nothing charged on it that I can swipe for this project, and if noone wants to donate I can loan it to you and sell it once the development is done (or swap out my WRT54G and sell that). Don't worry, we'll get you a router yet, because I'd really like to see fold server on my network via my router. :)

Full Folding Ahead!

Well, I haven't heard back from him via PM, so I'm still in suspense ;) I'll wait on him, because Free Is Good, but if that doesn't work out I have some money from Hito that I can PayPal you. I should get a credit card one of these days...

I love this idea, but for 60 bucks I'll sell you two crappers and they both can fold with one being the server. :D

Seeing if it can be done- Priceless.

If you have a Fry's around, check there. I found several v2, v3, and v4's mixed in with a pile of v5's a few weeks ago.

sandmanx said:
If you have a Fry's around, check there. I found several v2, v3, and v4's mixed in with a pile of v5's a few weeks ago.

No frys around here. :( I really wish we did. But within 35 minutes we have a Best Buy (really 45 minutes, but who's counting) or two, a few radioshacks, a circuit city or two, and a few Wal-Marts (sadly, they only have the WRT-54G's in stock, no GS). I'd really like to get mage one to work with rather than him develop something and be done with it. It may require tinkers to the hardware in the future and stuff, and it would just be easier if he had a piece of hardware to work with (plus, he can run it himself ;)). I'll wait for word back from moetop/mage first though before I go burning up premium gas in my Cadillac. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

tsuehpsyde said:
No frys around here. :( I really wish we did. But within 35 minutes we have a Best Buy (really 45 minutes, but who's counting) or two, a few radioshacks, a circuit city or two, and a few Wal-Marts (sadly, they only have the WRT-54G's in stock, no GS). I'd really like to get mage one to work with rather than him develop something and be done with it. It may require tinkers to the hardware in the future and stuff, and it would just be easier if he had a piece of hardware to work with (plus, he can run it himself ;)). I'll wait for word back from moetop/mage first though before I go burning up premium gas in my Cadillac. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

No real reason to get a GS. The only real difference is a bit more ram is on board the GS(and speedboost, which you can do on the G with dd-wrt or any other 3rd party firmware), but the G is cheaper, and much more common.

Yes, but as mage pointed out, this is for his development for the OS on the router itself, which he can use the extra room to work with on it. Then he can tweak it down to WRT54G size (which I'm banking on, because I wanna keep my v3 WRT54G).

Full Folding Ahead!

tsuehpsyde said:
Yes, but as mage pointed out, this is for his development for the OS on the router itself, which he can use the extra room to work with on it. Then he can tweak it down to WRT54G size (which I'm banking on, because I wanna keep my v3 WRT54G).

Full Folding Ahead!

Ahhh, ok. I just blasted through the previous posts and didn't see that.

I've heard back from moetop, he'll be shipping a GS and a G (woot!) with DD-WRT preloaded on them on Wednesday. Sweeeeeet :D

May the fleas of a thousand camels move out of his house. Figuratively speaking.

No V5's . I was buying them like crazy early last year.. I was afraid they would nerf them, so when I spotted a deal I would buy one. I was right.. :)

smileyscout said:
Finally I have something constructive to add to a thread.

Since it looks like the WRT54G doesn't have enough memory to distribute FAH files why not just add more?

http://kiel.kool.dk:27/

SD card reader + GPIO pins = super pimpin' solution :cool:

has anyone seen this? would this work?

I don't think that mod is needed for what we're doing. We'll be using samba shares/windows shares to store off-site files, at least that's what I think we're doing. ;)

*thumbs up* Good work. ;) Now to get mage's lazy ass coding. :D

Full Folding Ahead!

Aww, scheduled for delivery on the 17th. I'm going home around 10:15, but I'll be back on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I will check before I leave, though, so if it shows up I'll spend the day Sat finding out what a development environment for this thing looks like.

Dang, I need to reinstall Linux on my machine now. Guess I should get going on that... :eek:

Another 1e6 thanks, moetop!

I was looking at WRT54G's the other day in the store, and couldn't find any markings on the packaging that would indicate what version the router was. I looked on all six sides of the box with no success. Can somebody clue me in on how to to tell the difference?

Mohonri said:
I was looking at WRT54G's the other day in the store, and couldn't find any markings on the packaging that would indicate what version the router was. I looked on all six sides of the box with no success. Can somebody clue me in on how to to tell the difference?

Look at the serial number. The first 4 letters determine what version it is. CDF are the first 3, and the 4 digit determines the model. Right now, if that 4th digit is a B, it's a version 5, which can't be flashed to new firmware.

Also, you can look at post 43 in this thread. :p

There's a sticker on the bottom of the package that shows the serial # of the router, and the first 4 digits (the ones I posted above) show you which version you're looking at.

unhappy_mage said:
Aww, scheduled for delivery on the 17th. I'm going home around 10:15, but I'll be back on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I will check before I leave, though, so if it shows up I'll spend the day Sat finding out what a development environment for this thing looks like.

Dang, I need to reinstall Linux on my machine now. Guess I should get going on that... :eek:

Another 1e6 thanks, moetop!

Can you do it in a virtual machine Microsoft's has a 6 month trial of the software. I'm running 4 linux boxes at home on it now.. (3 asterisk servers and a install of Suse.. Even if you want to run it longer than the 6 months it's only $99.

You could also do the VMware player hack (FREE) if VMware supports the flavor of linux you plan on installing. I cant get the link for the hack because hackaday is blocked where I'm at now..

VMware is giving away virtual server now, for both windows and Linux. I already bought VMware Workstation for Linux, as well. But I went ahead and reinstalled Debian (My OS of choice, after how easy that was - I had Gentoo before and although it was just how I liked it, I've got Debian 90% of the way there within two days instead of two months) so I'll have a real box to play with. Kate, I've missed you so...

The package shows "out for delivery", but I've already arrived at home. I'll be back on Sunday to pick it up... I'm so excited! :D

:D Picked up routers today - a WRT54GSv2 and a WRT54Gv2. Thanks to moetop for the loan, and GJ on the packing. They're both working fine. Now I just need enough power plugs to plug in the Stack-O-Linksys and enough network cables to connect all of them and I'm set... :p

Well, good news and more good news:
  • I found out DD-WRT already has dnsmasq on it, which simplifies things a *lot*: one fewer thing I have to compile from scratch.
  • I have figured out cross compiling, for simple things like "Hello MIPS" as well as more complex things like strace and tftpd, both very helpful.
  • DD-WRT comes with smbmount, meaning I can mount your windows machine to get enough space to keep all the fold-server files on. I only need ~5MB for the boot files, and maybe another ~50 for the clients' work directories.
  • These things rock. I want one.

Would it be better to have the files stored on a) a windows machine on your network or b) a linux machine on the fold-server network?

unhappy_mage said:
Would it be better to have the files stored on a) a windows machine on your network or b) a linux machine on the fold-server network?

Just my thinking, less linux the better. Nothing against nix, I just think it scares alot of people off. Share on a win box maybe I guess is my vote.

Option to have on linux of course... I'm sure my options drive you nuts.

Oldbenwa has the virtual fold server machine done I guess, I'll try a physical net boot tomorrow afternoon if I get a chance. (You might want to look at it to see how bad he screwed it up.... :p )

edit: It don't matter I guess. One more hard drive vs. using your existing drive. Maybe people would be more confortable not using their drives for this. Your already gonna have nix all over, nix on a drive won't kill anything

no prefs here. either will do. I am just more able to do stuff on a windows box vs a linux box.

Back