Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

FitzRoy said:
This is important if you people don't understand this. Unlike the 2005fpw, this monitor has no oddball vertical resolution, so you should be able to do a common native 4:3 in the center with 1600:1200 with black bars on the sides - no stretching, no scaling. Performance sucks? 800x600 - no stretching, no scaling.

This panel also apparently uses the best type of LCD Panel - PVA. Most faithful black reproduction and viewing angles of any panel type. No purple tint from S-IPS, just a great image with great blacks all around. And with the new PVA low-ms tech in this new panel, I'm sure it should handle motion like a champ.

Still, if you're a gamer I have to say you might be better off with a 4:3 19 or 21" panel. Christ people, computer monitors aren't tvs, you sit so close to the screen. You don't need something that big to feel immersed and you certainly aren't going to be able to use any kind of lcd competitively. This panel looks heavily, heavily geared towards HDTV, DVD and HD-DVD use.

U forgot that this monitor might be very good for graphics, and general productivity, multi-tasking work (like software development) :D I'd get it just for that reason alone, forget gaming and HD-video :cool:

bench261 said:
because 20' 12 ms widescreen aint small and hits the sweet spot at $500....4' inches doesn't justify more than double the price.....you don't even have to do the math to see, just because other 23/24' are more expensive doesn't make it a better deal......hell with 1200$ you can upgrade to a high end system + fork a lil extra and get a 2005fpw
you ignore the fact that dell could be lowering the prices on the 2005fpw because of the massive amounts of problems it has

bench261 said:
because 20' 12 ms widescreen aint small and hits the sweet spot at $500....4' inches doesn't justify more than double the price.....you don't even have to do the math to see, just because other 23/24' are more expensive doesn't make it a better deal......hell with 1200$ you can upgrade to a high end system + fork a lil extra and get a 2005fpw
You neglected to consider the screen resolutions. The 2005FPW's 20" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) resolution pales compared to the 2405FPW's 24" WUXGA (1920x1200) resolution. There's a huge difference.

FitzRoy said:
This is important if you people don't understand this. Unlike the 2005fpw, this monitor has no oddball vertical resolution, so you should be able to do a common native 4:3 in the center with 1600:1200 with black bars on the sides - no stretching, no scaling. Performance sucks? 800x600 - no stretching, no scaling.

This panel also apparently uses the best type of LCD Panel - PVA. Most faithful black reproduction and viewing angles of any panel type. No purple tint from S-IPS, just a great image with great blacks all around. And with the new PVA low-ms tech in this new panel, I'm sure it should handle motion like a champ.

Bravo...very well put. For some reason it seems that some people are hating on this monitor and it hasn't even been released yet. The fact is, this monitor is not going to suit everyones needs. Many people won't be able to afford the $1200 cost, others won't be able to run their favorite games at its native resolution. For some, however, this monitor may very well be exactly what they have been looking for.

There are many that will use this monitor on their workstations, to do things such as CAD, image editing, programming, and spreadsheets. For these applications if the monitor performs well, it will be a godsend. Plenty of resolution at a physical size that won't cause massive eyestrain. Plus I haven't even mentioned that it could easily double its duties as a TV/HDTV/DVD display with full 1080p support.

Fantastic price here in the UK, but even if i waited, i knew i couldn't have afforded that.

My Dad just told me he'll buy my unused 2005FPW for what I bought it for so I may go with this one. £850 rrp is not bad at all IMO. I didn't like the vertical res on the 2005 model. I'm still tempted by the apple 23" though just for how it looks which is stupid as its a good £400 more and is 1" less and has no card reader (which I need to buy, or not with the dell) as well as it having a higher response time.

Get back up there with ye!

maybe OP should change it from unofficial, to official, since the other one is further back

More discussions! look how long the HP one is! we gotta beat it!

So while I'm still waiting for this monitor to popup at dell.de I'm wondering how the noise production of the monitor will be. The fact that they integrated the powersupply causes a lot of heat inside the monitor. Some monitors have little fans in their monitors which actually make sound or powersupply's who show a high pitch sound when brightness is at 100% (some IIyama models if I recall correctly). Wish extremetech said something about this.

I generally dislike integrated powersupplies cause I don't mind the extra powerbrick and it's another factor which can brake and cause you to send the whole monitor instead of the powerbrick.

Soon it'll be here :D.

Someone in Germany already has a bunch apparantly:

e-bay

hmm

"Achtung: Mit diesem Kauf sichern Sie sich eine Auslieferung Mitte bis Ende März. Das Gerät ist noch nicht erschienen und ist daher auch nicht auf Lager. Profitieren Sie von unserer bevorzugten Belieferung und beziehen Sie Ihr Modell schneller und günstiger als Andere."

Its a pre-order thingy it seems...

Good price though! Having said that I'm always wary of buying from other countries though incase I have to send it back due to dead pixels or backlight issues (which is quite common!)

Hi there

The Dell 2405FPW , I have seen it on Australian Dell website that you can buy it now for $1,788.60c Australian dollars.
I have read that it won't be available in the UK until March and the 24inch monitor is not on sale in the US. This 2405FPW will be great to play DVD and games.
If any one get the monitor tell us what price, games and DVD and a few pictures so we can see how pig it is.

mike8

Hey all,
I am new to this forum and have a lil concern about my video card GeForce4 MX440 64MB 8x. Does anyone here know that this card supports 1920x1200 resolution ? As before getting the 2405fpw, I think its not worth it to buy if it needs a few hundred bucks graphic card to handle this cutie.
cheers.

Thanks for the link to the pics. I just hope the 2405 sits lower on the base then the 2001fp. My 2001fp sits up too high in its lowest position and the 2405 looks to sit the same.

zoo25 said:
Hey all,
I am new to this forum and have a lil concern about my video card GeForce4 MX440 64MB 8x. Does anyone here know that this card supports 1920x1200 resolution ? As before getting the 2405fpw, I think its not worth it to buy if it needs a few hundred bucks graphic card to handle this cutie.
cheers.

I have a GF3 Ti200 (dell oem) and it's doing 1920x1200x32 DVI out right now. So I'm guessing yours could too.

Btw, the fact that you can't set your video card to 1920x1200 NOW doesn't necessarily mean that it's not capable of it, since windows will hide modes not supported by your current monitor.

zoo25 said:
Hey all,
cheers.
Hi zoo25

I would think you can go to the company website and check out to see if it does or have an update driver software, if it does not show the information then givew them a call.

I can guess that the GeForce4 MX44 64MB 8x may not handle a big resalution 1920x1200
you may have to GeForce4 128MB video card. Check out the info first before you buy the Dell monitor.

mike8

That monitor so 0wnz me ! Hurry up and come out so I can order it dangit !!!1

Disco_Stu_04 said:
None of you are worried about varying screen lighting or dead pixels that plague Dell screens?
yes, those problems are so much more prevalent on Dell screens
:rolleyes:

it does. and the dead pixels and blacklighting issues like to appear over time too. i hate my dell 2001fp.

My 2001FP had no dead/stuck pixels for the first eight months. Since December 2004, I've noticed three stuck pixels. Fortunately, they're all in the top right corner. My background masks the pixels, so it's not a huge problem. I bought it from Dell's outlet store for $499, in March 2004, so I really can't complain. I was going to get a 2405, but am buying a new Inspiron XPS2, instead. I'm much more interested in making sure it's WUXGA screen has no dead/stuck pixels when I receive it in April.

That's why final proof that these are Samsung Panels is so HUGE, I bet the number of dead pixel panels falls sharply. Dell would have stayed with LG had they been satisfied, Samsung probably guaranteed Dell much more consistant glass, as proven out that Samsung(AND NO ONE ELSE) has issued a ZERO dead pixel policy on all their LCD's(Samsung Versions not Dell). Samsung has built HQ panels for more than a few years and this knowhow will go into the latest Dell LCD's so comparing 2005FPW Cons to 2405FPW is offbase since the only problems have been panels and that whole componet has went to the industry leading supplier. We'll have to wait and see but I bet the 2405FPW is of better quality the the 2005FPW. And since I know with discounts that the 2405 will be had for $850-&950 it's way beyond a Steal. david

Call Dell and tell them you a small business owner(make something up)(they don't verifiy they just take what you say over the phone) they will set you up an account and in one week or less they will email you a 10% off online purchases, then wait for the 2405FPW to go on sale (IN THE SMALL BUSINESS SECTION) which is usually %15-%25 off, buy it and add your 10% to that for possibly 35% off makeing the 2405FPW $840 and you might even get free shipping.

Equalizer said:
Thanks for the link to the pics. I just hope the 2405 sits lower on the base then the 2001fp. My 2001fp sits up too high in its lowest position and the 2405 looks to sit the same.
I hope it sits 3" higher :-P

phas3d said:
If this thing is as sweet as it sounds, just how many 2005fpw owners out there are going to be PISSED!!!?

I can't stop imagining 24 inches of CS:S

I can tell you I run CSS on my 23inch apple screen at native and it is nice. I may have to get one of those dell screens though as a second monitor.

The backlighting issue should not be an issue at all. They are using a different manufacturer and a different technology as it relates to backlighting (I will go find the post on another forum if you'd like me to ... I have been scouring the net so hard since this was announced I just don't remember where I read that. Could have been AVS).

I called Dell to ask them if it was indeed going to be available for sale on March 1st. The Dell CSR's are complete tools. He gave me a link that did say Match 1st. I told him I already saw that but wondered if a human being could confirm. He said this was the first he's even heard of the monitor and didn't know. I get more info from anywhere BUT Dell and it's their product. Stupid.

Anyway, no pre-ordering allowed either as I tried that also.

A few days now *IF* it's available on March 1st. We'll see.

Apple, Sony, HP, Samsung ... all PO'd as Dell does the same thing they always do. They don't invent the technology, they wait until it matures, then blow the doors off pricing. That is a win/win for us consumers. Prior to this monitor it was the HP L2335 at $1500 that was the sweet pricepoint. Now we're looking at $1199 MSRP and you know that we're looking around $1,000 with discounts, etc regularly.

Back