Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

They are expensive everywhere else in the world because Dell has to ship them there and pay duties/taxes. That's why Canadians/Europeans don't see the same deals on Dell peripherals, even with discounts. Still no reviews on this monitor?

steviep said:
They are expensive everywhere else in the world because Dell has to ship them there and pay duties/taxes. That's why Canadians/Europeans don't see the same deals on Dell peripherals, even with discounts. Still no reviews on this monitor?

I doubt that duties/taxes are the reasons for it being 50% more expensive in France.

I mean think about it.. 50% more only cause of taxes and duties??
There must be something else IMO.

Mcklain

didn't some dude on here say his was made in singapore/malaysia or some such place? i doubt they're assembled in the US. nothing is anymore. i doubt tax/shipping is the reason. things are consistently more expensive here in europe even now with the really weak dollar. theoretically we should be getting 30% off US products.. but anyways, i don't want to derail the thread..

Crap! Just missed the deal. Ordered one, but price now is 925.00+tax w/ free shipping. This is only good for a couple of more days. So order soon if you want one cheap. Dang, was hoping for the 860.00, but whats a few more dollars. Still 300.00 less than on Dell.com! :p

Riptide_NVN said:
I wonder where the people who were going to use a LACIE or other hardware tool went? It'd be nice to see what their results were like. :)
Patience, I suspect*. The guy said (IIRC) that his 2405 was scheduled to arrive around march 14th or 15th. Now most seem to ship faster than expected, but we'll have to see if that applies to all.

* Not that I can really wait either :D

Equalizer said:
Recieved my 2405 today. Did anyone else recieve their 2405 with the VGA connector already plugged into the back of the panel?

yes, probably from testing.

HybridHB said:
I just got mine, used dead pixel tester posted a few (maybe tens) of pages back. No dead pixels! On another note, how do i adjust brightness? Im using DVI.

I think on dvi, brightness in adjustable but contrast is set.

@ MethylONE: How about your Radeon 8500?
Did you use reduced blanking to get the native res of 1900x1200 via DVI?

Anyone else have any issues with XBox? Like I said earlier, about twice a second, the screen gets a bit fuzzy. Basically, if you look at the text, the lines get squiggly real briefly.

It isn't noticable at all during gameplay, or even on moving images, just on static images. I can live with it no prob, but if I can solve it, so much the better.

Also, for those interested, I'm usign a BFG 6800 GT and had no problems. Didn't even have to do anything with reduced blanking, just chose the res and off I went. :)

Riptide_NVN said:
I wonder where the people who were going to use a LACIE or other hardware tool went? It'd be nice to see what their results were like. :)
Im still here! :) Still don't have mine in yet though.. tap tap tap

Mine was at my door when I got home. Here's its BIG box...

I'll post pics/review when I have it set up. :)

They left yours at your door...? They attempted dropoff today but I got a little note instead of a box.

Tomomrow I guess.

Hehe, that was my impression as well. GIANT box. :)

Which is ofcourse a good thing. Only now I have to find a closet to shove it in for safe keeping.

zr0e said:
They left yours at your door...? They attempted dropoff today but I got a little note instead of a box.

Tomomrow I guess.
I left a note authorizing UPS to leave it. I'm in a loft building, so it was left indoors in the hall. I wouldn't have wanted it left unattended, say if my home were a house. Too tempting a target!

atlwriter said:

At least we can say with certainty now that the box looks bigger then the screen itself! :D

atlwriter said:

This is sleaky.....but I just have a thought....if you deny you ever receive it...how would they know? You don't have to pay your VISA bill.

Either that or Dell will send you a 2nd one, and you can connect to a dual DVI video card.

Happy Hopping said:
This is sleaky.....but I just have a thought....if you deny you ever receive it...how would they know? You don't have to pay your VISA bill.

Either that or Dell will send you a 2nd one, and you can connect to a dual DVI video card.

The note that he left authorizing UPS to leave it is sufficient to be used to release UPS from liability.

Indeed, that makes more sense. I am glad they didn't leave it in front of my house.

Enjoy :) (hope to see pics...)

Got mine today in the UK.

v's a 2001fp...

Better blacks
No screendoor
No Ghosting I can see
Colours as good ( still tweaking )
Smooth backlight

Basically, very very nice.

Mine says "made in China" on the back...

I don't know what blanking is but I did nothing special to get 1920 x 1200.

Bout to eat but then gonna try some gaming.

Watching NBA game in HD right now, outstanding.

OK, I have some questions for those of you getting these badboys.

If you are posting screenshots, can you please include some more info on the source input on HDTV signals:
-from files (.ts, HDxvid, etc..)
-DVD Player
-HDTV PC Card (MyHD, FusionHDTV, ATI Wonder, etc..)
-SetTop Box (Satellite, Cable box)

& whether the input HD signal is 480i, 480p, 540, 720p, 1080i or other variation.
Then of course, please post more screenshots! So we can all see more of what this monitor is capable of!

Also, are you able to watch 4:3 TV shows from Component Input (either from a cable box or satellite receiver) with black bars on the sides, without it having to be stretched.?

Are you happy with the PIP & Side-by-Side multi-source modes?

Still haven't heard anything on power response times yet, I am assuming that this is a good thing.
How long to turn on the monitor, how long to come out of powersave/standby mode, how long to switch between source inputs?

Can anyone compare the colors & response times(ms) to the that of the Samsung 213t.

Thanks everyone & don't forget about those of us that don't have a 2405FPW to play with yet!

About HD PC tuner cards, I don't know about the others but the ATI HDTV wonder really sucked for the two weeks I used it. If you want good HD, get a cable box or satellite setup. I'm using a HD cable box and the pictures are fantastic.

I have my cable box connected to the component input and my computer connected via DVI-D. The cable input is 1080i, but I can't figure out how to switch to 720p, or 480. 1080i looks incredible though. There are thin bars at the top and the bottom but if I didn't tell you about them you wouldn't notice.

PiP is good but the one feature I would like to see is more options on the size of the window. Side by side is really only good for showing off. It does look cool to have too full screen videos playing side by side though.

I always use my monitor for TV and computing so the extra inputs are perfect for me. I'll finally be able to buy a new video card without VIVO.

I gotta tell you, I went from a very good 22" CRT to this and because I watch alot of widescreen programs and movies this thing feels twice as big as my CRT.

The biggest feature that is missing from this LCD is software control. If I could control everything from inside windows it would be "almost" perfect.

Also, I do watch Xvid copies of TV shows and movies. The 320 line Xvids look pretty grainly blown up on this bad boy but 576p Xvid looks awesome, not as good as the programming on DiscHD but very good.

My DVD player is part of the puter so I use Nero Showtime to watch them and they look good and the widescreen helps soooooo much. But nothing compares to full HD programming filmed with HD cameras. I wish I'd had this thing for football season. But, I do get to see my Magic lose in stunning clarity!

Also, I've used Laptops with high res LCDs and the text was so small it was almost useless. This thing is so big that even this high res doesn't shrink the text too much. It looks about the same size as it did on my 22" CRT at 1280 x 1024.

Mysticcal said:
Someone could buy these panels and sell them at a little bit of a discount to other countries. compared to the 1199. and still make a profit. Hey, if you guys want your panels, use your resources!

mine is also due 3rd week of March, I hope it comes sooner :(

If only we could.
I would love to have some friend in the US, who could buy it and sent it to me as a "gift", but the customs would probably not let that happen, in France. You would have VAT + Customs tax + fine, which would make it much more expensive !
Same between France ans Switzerland for example.... It is sold 900 euros in Switzerland, 1254 in France...

Well guys, I should have washed my mouth before talking...
I juste phone to a DELL sales rep in France, LOL, the guy was plugged to the hardforum.com, he saw my pseudo, all the posts, etc....
Did a fantastic rebate to me. From 1254 euros to 1000 euros including VAT, that is more than 330 bucks !
I am really happy.
Thanks DELL france !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaindelon.

PS : shipping estimated to 2-3 days.

Is a DVI cable enclosed? If not which one do you use for native res - DVI-D Single Link or Dual Link???

zerong said:
c quoi le nom de ton commercial ? car si j'appelle je demande le meme !

I did not take his name. He had a slight english accent though. I hope i have his name when I receive the DELL e-mail confirming my order. But so far, nothing.
How long does it take to receveive this mail, I do not know.

Please Zerong, let's speak english here, for respect to the members.

See you.

AD

From a user who just got his over on ars:
Overall, the quality of the monitor is amazing, but it's set to 'torch mode' to impress people who don't know what the image SHOULD look like... assuming the backlighting and contrast can be dropped somewhat, this will be an incredibly good choice. At $860, it's the steal of the last 3 years. If it turns out that they can't be adjusted... well, if realistic image quality matters to you, you might want to hold off for the next generation. This is a really good monitor, but it's not quite perfect in this iteration.

I can't wait to see what the results are from the folks here who have a hardware calibrator.

Anyone know how long it usually takes Dell to send out an exchange, btw?

Pay day is tommorow.... Praying I'll still be able to get an 850 or 899 deal!

pooter03 said:
Anyone else have any issues with XBox? Like I said earlier, about twice a second, the screen gets a bit fuzzy. Basically, if you look at the text, the lines get squiggly real briefly.

It isn't noticable at all during gameplay, or even on moving images, just on static images. I can live with it no prob, but if I can solve it, so much the better.

Also, for those interested, I'm usign a BFG 6800 GT and had no problems. Didn't even have to do anything with reduced blanking, just chose the res and off I went. :)

I hooked up my xbox through the s-video port. Set the xbox to widescreen mode and noticed no jumping like you stated, however; the picture is a little fuzzy. Both games and movies played through xbox look worse on the 2405 then it did on my 2001fp.

Equalizer said:
I hooked up my xbox through the s-video port. Set the xbox to widescreen mode and noticed no jumping like you stated, however; the picture is a little fuzzy. Both games and movies played through xbox look worse on the 2405 then it did on my 2001fp.

You don't have the high-def pack with component cables?

pooter03 said:
You don't have the high-def pack with component cables?

No, I sure don't. Do you think this would improve the picture quality of games and movies dramatically enough to justify purchasing it?

Hey, I saw this thread on Ars and wanted to comment.

As I pointed out over there, there is ghosting with this monitor, or at least with mine. For most games it doesn't seem to be noticable, but in Q3 there seems to be an ineffable and barely tangible quality loss when moving around at normal speeds. When I tried online play I smacked everybody around though, so it's unclear yet if it really negatively affects my game. Also this is my first LCD.

Equalizer said:
No, I sure don't. Do you think this would improve the picture quality of games and movies dramatically enough to justify purchasing it?

I sure do. Component is better than S-Video to begin with. Also, I'm almost 100% sure you can't get high-def (480P plus) without component + high def pack.

With S-Video, you are limited to 480i.

Back