Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

chrism said:
I didn't find my 2405FPW very bright either. I too have a 2005FPW which I feel is brighter with factory settings. This may have to do with how bright the room you use it in is. My room is relatively bright.

That almost seems like a joke. I had to turn my brightness down to 7 or it hurts my eyes.

I just got my 2405 today and it is amazing. No dead pixels and the picture is incredible.

However, one issue I am having is that I can't change the scaling to 1:1 or Aspect. When I go through the monitor controls and drill into the image menu, the scaling option is disabled. I have tried this with both DVI and Analog D-Sub.

I'm sure its something simple I'm missing, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Anyone know how to enable this feature?

Got mine. Looks nice (after some tweaking) - just a little brighter than 2001fp. However, after playing HL2 for a bit at 1920x1200, I got some motion sickness. Frameraate appared to be fine but something was off. :confused:

When playing High Definition video material i see some small glitches in the video (only in the video!). I tried different video players, all with the same result.
Anyone else experienced this? Wonder what is causing this..

Hi all...

My first post on this forum. I asked this on other forums, but they don't seem to be able to help me (Dell support couldn't either).

I ordered this monitor, but need a videocard for it. I want to use a DVI-port for this monitor and a VGA port for a secondary monitor. However, I don't play games, so I don't need a top-of-the-line videocard.
I read DVI-I supports a resolution a little lower than the monitor.

My question is:
Can I use a Radeon 9200 DVI-port to connect this monitor on?
Or, what is the cheapest videocard that supports this monitor (and a secondary 17" LCD)?

Thank you in advance.

logrus said:
I just got my 2405 today and it is amazing. No dead pixels and the picture is incredible.

However, one issue I am having is that I can't change the scaling to 1:1 or Aspect. When I go through the monitor controls and drill into the image menu, the scaling option is disabled. I have tried this with both DVI and Analog D-Sub.

I'm sure its something simple I'm missing, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Anyone know how to enable this feature?
For that, you should use another resolution (non native)...exemple, in the game if you play inm 1600*1200 you can adjust this option.

raps said:
Hi all...

My first post on this forum. I asked this on other forums, but they don't seem to be able to help me (Dell support couldn't either).

I ordered this monitor, but need a videocard for it. I want to use a DVI-port for this monitor and a VGA port for a secondary monitor. However, I don't play games, so I don't need a top-of-the-line videocard.

My question is:
Or, what is the cheapest videocard that supports this monitor (and a secondary 17" LCD)?

Thank you in advance.

Well, I'm using the ATI AIW8500DV with the DVI port if that helps you at all. However, my X800XL has already shipped from NewEgg so I can BF2 in super res!!!

MethylONE said:
That almost seems like a joke. I had to turn my brightness down to 7 or it hurts my eyes.

Running my brightness at around 20 right now. Way to bright out of the box. I'm using these setting which I got in another thread here:

"Using my Pantone Colorvision USB color calibration unit, here are the settings I came up with for my particular unit. YMMV based on manufacturing variability, but for those without a calibration unit this is probably a good start.

Since this is supposedly an sRGB compliant monitor, normally just setting sRGB should be perfect, but that wasn't the case. These settings work much better:

(target sRGB 6500K of course)

Brightness 27
Contrast N/A (not available in DVI)
Color: User Preset
Red 36
Green 33
Blue 32

With any brightness setting the gamma was still too low (i.e. too bright) around 1.89. I solved this by using the nVidia driver color adjustment page to set the gamma slider to 0.91 which gave me a measured gamma of 2.05. This is still a touch brighter than sRGB but I couldn't get it any higher, and as the page below notes, 2.0 is a good compromise between Mac (1.8) and PC (2.2) gamma.

There is a good gamma adjustment page here:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm "

Should I have to do anything special to be able to choose other 16:10 resolutions? I want try CS:Source in 1680x1050 and I noticed this resolution was not selectable on my desktop or in game. From what I've read on the widescreen gaming forums I should have native support for this. I have a 9800 pro with the newest drivers and I installed the 2405 monitor driver.

sgt said:
Should I have to do anything special to be able to choose other 16:10 resolutions? I want try CS:Source in 1680x1050 and I noticed this resolution was not selectable on my desktop or in game. From what I've read on the widescreen gaming forums I should have native support for this. I have a 9800 pro with the newest drivers and I installed the 2405 monitor driver.

Are you setting scaling to 1:1 for this?

I haven't changed any scaling settings. Is that a setting on the monitor or is it a software setting?

Has anyone tried this display with really low resolutions. I use dosbox to play old games. Their resolution is usually something like 320x240. If I try to go full screen with this resolution, the image shakes violently making it unusable. Anyone have any idea why? I'm using an EVGA 6800 ultra.

I think it should work. Your POST screen should be the same resolution, no?

I think post screens are 640x480 these days actually.

I tried changing my windows desktop to 320x240 and 320x200 also. I get the same results. So it's either my video card or the monitor. Anything higher than those 2 resolutions works fine.

sgt said:
I haven't changed any scaling settings. Is that a setting on the monitor or is it a software setting?

By default, the scaling (which is set thru the LCD menu) is set to fill. If you don't plan on setting it to 1:1 (which will shrink the image), you don't want to run any games at non-native resolution (1920x1200) unless you don't care about image quality.

Riptide_NVN said:
I think it's still 80 column text mode. Could be wrong though.

You're not wrong, but it is some sort of resolution .. I seem to remember the number 720x480, but it's been sooooo long... I could be wrong too ;)

Has anyone ran this on Linux? I cant get my Fedora box to run at 1920x1200 with a Radeon 9200SE. It recognizes it as a Dell 2405FPW but with a maximum res of 1600x1200. If i change my monitor to a "Generic 1920x1200 LCD" the max res it will do it 1920x1440.

Any ideas?

MethylONE said:

that almost seems like a joke, i have mine at 88! with brightness down in ati -15. maybe something is wrong with mine, glad i'm getting it replaced

bench261 said:
that almost seems like a joke, i have mine at 88! with brightness down in ati -15. maybe something is wrong with mine, glad i'm getting it replaced

I have about 300W of light in my computer room. I really think a lot of this is related to the amount of light in your computer room. I'm sure personal taste plays a role too.

i also leave it at that in the dark....maybe im just used to it now from the 2005fpw, i remember when i 1st got it it felt like looking at the sun

Has anyone heard any more buzzing or high-pitched whines from the back of their monitors when it's on? :confused:

CalKenneth said:
Has anyone heard any more buzzing or high-pitched whines from the back of their monitors when it's on? :confused:

I think some of our older users have lost pitch recognition at that specific freq. j/k

I work with a guy that has a Dell 17" (1702fp) LCD with the high pitched whine.....drives me insane anytime I go into his office!

CalKenneth said:

No high pitched sounds or dead pixels on my 2405. I have had my 2405 since March 11th.

coneypark said:
On checking my tracking info it says that I am getting two packages and was wondering if someone who got one can tell me why it is two packages.
I heard it said that the second box may actually be a very small box with a (DVI?) cable in it. Not sure why it wouldn't be in the main box, but if it's not this, it's probably still a small box with something that goes with the monitor (could even be the appropriate power connector, if the rest of the monitor ships the same worldwide).

bench261 said:
nope, just exchange it if you do....for 1000$ i sure would

Yeah, I'm arranging for one now. It's a crap shoot out there, though... my first one buzzed/slightly whined but had no bad pixels or backlight bleed. I hope the next one I get won't have any of those defects either!

elder_shawn said:
I think some of our older users have lost pitch recognition at that specific freq. j/k

I work with a guy that has a Dell 17" (1702fp) LCD with the high pitched whine.....drives me insane anytime I go into his office!

Hey, it's possible. My Dell 2001FP (the one I bought right before the 2405FPW came out) used to whine whenever it was on - couldn't stand it so I ordered a replacement. Guess what, same deal. Tech support didn't want me to return it - they insisted that I give it one more shot. So I got yet another replacement, and it STILL whined. Sent it back - I bet they sourced defective components that month.

You could reduce it somewhat by changing the brighness level, but it wasn't ever a consistent thing.

bchomp said:
My 2405 definitely whines. It's somewhere about 7khz to 13khz and it is significant.

Do you have any buzzing behind the monitor, where the power cord goes in? Does yours whine always (during standby, when "off" -- even if the power is still plugged in, etc) or just when it's displaying a screen?

megmond said:
I heard it said that the second box may actually be a very small box with a (DVI?) cable in it. Not sure why it wouldn't be in the main box, but if it's not this, it's probably still a small box with something that goes with the monitor (could even be the appropriate power connector, if the rest of the monitor ships the same worldwide).

Yeah, I would guess it's the correct power connector since the monitor itself is the same component.

Actually...if I put my ear up against the back of my 2405 I can hear a very slight whine. I have to turn off ALL background noise, though, to hear it.

It's a non-issue for me. I would not have even known about the whine if other people weren't reporting it. I don't hear it even in a quiet room.

RyanR100 said:
Actually...if I put my ear up against the back of my 2405 I can hear a very slight whine. I have to turn off ALL background noise, though, to hear it.

It's a non-issue for me. I would not have even known about the whine if other people weren't reporting it. I don't hear it even in a quiet room.

So it sounds like people are reporting one of three things:

1) buzzing only
2) whining only
3) neither

I wonder why the components BenQ sources are so varied that the monitors either whine or buzz but not both!

raps said:
Hi all...

My question is:

Thank you in advance.
Nobody? (not even here :confused: )

Well, that's my question. The max I'd spend is as little as possible. The monitor is ordered and will be connected to a computer one way or the other.
I've read some posts and it seems to work with a Radeon9800 and some lower cards. But I don't know exactly which ones.
I came up with the Radeon9200 since it is a rather 'new' card, and it is quite cheap.

Obviously it's absurd to buy a X800 for somebody who doesn't play games or uses 3D graphical programs.

Back