Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

dadj said:
Wow, this panel is not made by Samsung at all!!!! :( It's a Benq panel: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2405fpw/English/appendx.htm

If u actually cared to read the thread, this has been pointed out already ;) The panel is made by Samsung but the monitor itself is assembled by BenQ :D THere is even a way to see the panel manufacturer but I don't remember how. Does anyone remember what is the key combination to go to manufacturer's setup menu? :confused:

TehQuick said:
If u actually cared to read the thread, this has been pointed out already ;) The panel is made by Samsung but the monitor itself is assembled by BenQ :D THere is even a way to see the panel manufacturer but I don't remember how. Does anyone remember what is the key combination to go to manufacturer's setup menu? :confused:
oh, well must have missed it then, ive been following this forum since the birth of page 1. :)

grey here too (xfx 6800gt)

anyone know if you can download the stuff thats on the cd? (mine came scratched )

Damn this DRM bullshit to hell. I just got a few of those 1080p WMVHD documentaries (IMAX) from Amazon and they won't play on my computer. I have Media Player 10 installed. When I insert the disc it tries to autorun and I get a black screen and no prompts, NOTHING.

*EDIT* n/m, it works now. For some reason the menu system that wants to open w/autoplay wouldn't work right and that's how the DRM license gets installed. I found a file on the disc, licgen.exe, that once it was run seemed to install the license and I was able to finally open the file manually w/media player.

Hey guys...
This is my first post in this forum (so take it easy on me :p )...I've been reading threads on this Dell monitor, and am finally close to purchasing one...

I'm wondering if there's a place where people post the latest deals on this monitor? Or perhaps a salesman someone would recommend, who is able to give a good price?

Any help would be appreciated. I have enough to money to purchase the monitor, but no extra money to burn.. :) Thanks

I should mention, in addition to the post above, that I am in Canada, so would be looking to order through Canada preferrably, but could do so through the U.S. as well (10 min from border)....

Yaka said:
grey here too (xfx 6800gt)

anyone know if you can download the stuff thats on the cd? (mine came scratched )

Did you solve the issue ?

I still can't.....

Shazam said:
Did you solve the issue ?

I still can't.....
Only usefull thing on there are the drivers which you can also DL from the dell site can't you? The other thing is a specs and Q/A sheet that's the same as on the website.
But you could always order a new cdrom from dell I guess

dadj said:
Only usefull thing on there are the drivers which you can also DL from the dell site can't you? The other thing is a specs and Q/A sheet that's the same as on the website.
But you could always order a new cdrom from dell I guess

No I was mentioning the greyed Picture Settings on OSD when linked through DVI....

Shazam said:
No I was mentioning the greyed Picture Settings on OSD when linked through DVI....

It's not an issue, it's a feature :D all LCDs when connected thru DVI do not allow picture adjustment (contrast in particular)

TehQuick said:
It's not an issue, it's a feature :D all LCDs when connected thru DVI do not allow picture adjustment (contrast in particular)

Right, but then how to get a 1:1 image and not a stretched one if I want decrease res lower than 1920x1200 for some games ?

I just can't have 1:1 for the following res :

VGA, 720 x 400
VGA, 640 x 480
VESA, 800 x 600
VESA, 1024 x 768
VESA, 1152 x 864
VESA, 1280 x 1024
VESA, 1600 x 1200

They are stretched automatically.

OH yeah, i've heard there is a bug or something. U need to reduce res before u can switch from 1:1 to aspect or stretch and vice versa.

TehQuick said:
OH yeah, i've heard there is a bug or something. U need to reduce res before u can switch from 1:1 to aspect or stretch and vice versa.

Could you please tell me more ?

I've tried both ways...doesn't work !

Shazam said:
Could you please tell me more ?

I've tried both ways...doesn't work !
Probably need to switch into a non 16:10 mode to enable the options. Change it, then change into the res you want. It should remember your choice.

There's also more info on this a little earlier in this thread if you browse back or search it.

(edit: also check driver settings for your videocard, I think there are some that will also do stretching for you, instead of letting the screen do it. If this is true, then setting up the screen properly may have no effect)

To be clearer, here is what happens when I change res through ATA control panel ("scale image to panel size" off in Display settings) :

1920x1080 1:1
1600x1200 stretched !
1360x1024 1:1
1360x768 1:1
1280x1024 stretched !
etc...

So AMHA all res mentioned by Dell in the 2405 doc stretch whatever the settings in the ATI driver

*Dell™ guarantees image size and centering for all preset modes listed in the following table.

VGA, 720 x 400
VGA, 640 x 480
VESA, 800 x 600
VESA, 1024 x 768
VESA, 1152 x 864
VESA, 1280 x 1024
VESA, 1600 x 1200
VESA, 1920 x 1200

hehehe dont wana brag but i just nabbed a 300 series ergotron lcd arm for £67 on ebay. dell.co.uk sell em for £290 :)

Just received mine. Pixel perfect, great images, but there is a noticible high pitched whine which is audible even over a somewhat noisy G3 Powermac, connected via VGA.

I read the older threads about the high pitched whine, but haven't seen anymore posts lately which leads me to believe other people don't have this problem. Can some of you please verify that your monitors DON'T have a high pitched whine? Thanks!

bigred said:
Hey guys...
This is my first post in this forum (so take it easy on me :p )...I've been reading threads on this Dell monitor, and am finally close to purchasing one...

I'm wondering if there's a place where people post the latest deals on this monitor? Or perhaps a salesman someone would recommend, who is able to give a good price?

Any help would be appreciated. I have enough to money to purchase the monitor, but no extra money to burn.. :) Thanks

Anyone have any ideas on this? (I went back a number of pages and didn't see any info on this (but I did not have time to read all 6,000 pages ;) )

orama said:
Just received mine. Pixel perfect, great images, but there is a noticible high pitched whine which is audible even over a somewhat noisy G3 Powermac, connected via VGA.

I read the older threads about the high pitched whine, but haven't seen anymore posts lately which leads me to believe other people don't have this problem. Can some of you please verify that your monitors DON'T have a high pitched whine? Thanks!
I do. Noticed it the first time I turned it on.

I don't hear a thing from mine unless I put my ears behind it in the middle of the night when I am using a silent laptop :p

As for the deals, ask in other threads. AFAIK, there is none ATM

Thanks Chrism...
Will keep an eye on that site...and am open to any more suggestions that people have on where/how to get the best possible price on this monitor.. :)

For anyone who has a Dell Employee Purchase Program where they work, I would try calling a Dell EPP Rep and speaking with them directly. I did this today and they honored the $750 price that was running a little while back.

^^^ Did you talk to the Dell Home or Dell Small Business people?

Or, for that matter, the Dell Large Business?

I have an employee purchase program where I work, I'd love that deal.

Could anyone post an image of this monitor displaying two pages of text/word docs side by side?
I know it's a weird request but it's a really important feature for me due to limited desk space/work.

Thanks a bunch I've been lurking until now.

Woo, that was fast. Thanks for the screen cap. Now to find out if a 32mb video laptop can drive this. I'll be using the search function me thinks

Just got off the phone with Dell Home (just the 800-WWW-DELL number) and I reached a representative by the name of Oliver who gave me a 20% discount off of the 2405. Brought the price down to $959 or some such. I'm in CA though, so I DID have to pay sales tax. But, this is the best I have personally found, so I went for it. :)

Good luck!

Darkeforce said:
Just got off the phone with Dell Home (just the 800-WWW-DELL number) and I reached a representative by the name of Oliver who gave me a 20% discount off of the 2405. Brought the price down to $959 or some such. I'm in CA though, so I DID have to pay sales tax. But, this is the best I have personally found, so I went for it. :)

Good luck!

So you topped me with 20% ehh? Good job. What's the ship date looking like?

BIG FAVOR!

Does anyone have this monitor next to one of the Dell 17" LCD's? I'd like to see how that looks.
I really can't decide between the 20" (cheaper, nearly same height as my 17", cheaper) or the 24" (component, bigger, more $$$, did i mention component?)

so tough. :(

I made a small program in Flash that displays a number that increases by one every 1/60 of a second

I put my CRT and my new 2405 LCD in clone mode, and I took this picture:

lag.jpg

asevie said:
So you topped me with 20% ehh? Good job. What's the ship date looking like?

Oh, it's far away. LOL. He said it should ship on or before April 23rd. :( <sigh> Oh well, I can wait it out. :)

overlandparker said:
Here's a screen capture of a document in word. Hope this works for you. Having 2 pgs. side by side is awesome. :)

Screen Cap
exactly, i thought the same thing when i opened up some lecture notes from my instructor.

Jensen said:
I made a small program in Flash that displays a number that increases by one every 1/60 of a second

I put my CRT and my new 2405 LCD in clone mode, and I took this picture:

Interesting. Are you driving the LCD through DVI or VGA?

Tony.

Jensen said:
DVI

I'll try again in the morning with D-Sub.

Composite is worse than DVI though.

Indeed. Would've expected the DVI to be quicker too as the VGA has to be converted down to analogue first.

Could you bung the app on a web page somewhere, I'd be interested to run it on my triple DVI setup - or can you compile Flash stuff into a standalone proggie?

I've just had a very curious idea. If you took the photo at a slow shutter speed, then it might have taken a fraction of a second for the camera's CCD to scan across the image. Try turning the camera upside down and see if you get a reversal of the timings.

Cheers,
Tony.

Actually, CRTs drive the VGA signals directly to the guns, without any intermediate digital processing. No delay whatsoever.

I'd guess that DVI connections will always have more delay, between 0-16ms, because the entire frame may need to be received before it can be displayed. So 1 frame delay is sort of reasonable, but 2 is not. Moreover even this delay is technically unnecessary if the hardware is smart enough to decode the DVI data one scanline at a time.

We know most of the processing hardware on the inside, right? Is it possible that one of the newer chips pipelines the DVI information?

Back