Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I get about a frame more of lag with D-sub.... I'd like to see someone with dual dvi monitors to test my program (one of them not the 2405)

Well crap now I found another dead sub pixel. So that makes two pixels stuck green on mine. They show up on black/dark backgrounds. They're both about 1" up from the bottom near the center, about 4" apart from each other. I have no plans to exchange because I'm past the 21 day limit but this is kind of disappointing.

These stuck pixels don't show up very easily. It takes looking from about 4" away before you can actually pick them out. Tiny as the point of a syringe just about.

Jensen said:
I get about a frame more of lag with D-sub.... I'd like to see someone with dual dvi monitors to test my program (one of them not the 2405)
try swaping the dvi connectors to your graphics card and see if you get the same results. it wouldnt supprize me if this is because of your video cards ports not be sync perfectly, but is 2/60s matter?

Riptide_NVN said:
Well crap now I found another dead sub pixel. So that makes two pixels stuck green on mine. They show up on black/dark backgrounds. They're both about 1" up from the bottom near the center, about 4" apart from each other. I have no plans to exchange because I'm past the 21 day limit but this is kind of disappointing.

These stuck pixels don't show up very easily. It takes looking from about 4" away before you can actually pick them out. Tiny as the point of a syringe just about.

dont be upset, for all u know the next one you receive coulda been worse after time. with a 1920 by 1200 screen i doubt u can get by without a stuck pixel atleast...maybe some people aren't looking hard enough

2/60s is 33ms which in some cases is the difference between a competitive net connection and a noncompetitive net connection. Very, very important.

Jensen said:

Gimme that proggy :) I'd like to test it at 2001/2405 dual-DVI setup :D

bench261 said:
dont be upset, for all u know the next one you receive coulda been worse after time. with a 1920 by 1200 screen i doubt u can get by without a stuck pixel atleast...maybe some people aren't looking hard enough
Yeah I'm not really upset or anything. Just kinda disappointed because I thought I had a perfect one. Ah well. And yeah I think some people are just not looking hard enough to find them. And in a way if you have to go looking that closely then maybe it really doesn't matter.

I ran Jensen's flash prog on my system - 2405 as primary monitor, CRT as 2nd monitor, full acceleration, Gf4 4200 card, WXP. I snapped some rapid-fire pics on my camera (1/160 shutter speed, ISO 200) - the extremely low shutter speed let me see the relationship between the scanline position and the observed delay, although it makes it hard to see a lot of pics.

Assigning a value of 1 to a difference of one between the displayed values, 2 for a diff of two, and 1.5 for the LCD showing two numbers equally (etc), I captured 63 shots and the average came out to be about 1.3. Note that this is a lower bound for the observed delay because the flash prog may not be updating on every single cycle, so that the LCD has more time to catch up. Observed delays varied between 0 and 2, with 1 and 1.5 being the most prevalent (2 slightly less so). The delays didn't really have anything to do with scanline position on the CRT, which is expected, because the Windows desktop is likely to be single buffered anyway.

So some preliminary results:
- The 2405 delay is no less than 20ms compared to (my) CRT
- The delay MAY be nondeterministic, since a lot of observed delays were between 0 and 1.5
- Alternatively the delay is exactly 2 frames and the observed lower delay is due to jitter in Windows

Edit: for wrong thread...as for the 2405...too expensive. I don't have over a grand to blow on just a monitor.

jonnormand, wrong thread? try 2005 fp one :)

As for contacting dell, u can also use online talk. Dunno the link, somewhere in the customer service. As for phone numbers, look up at "contact dell link" at dell site :D

the 2005fpw is a joke for most people if you care at all about backlight bleeding.

i got my 2405fpw today after ordering 3/11/05. it took forever to get to cali. no dead pixels, nada, nothing. it has no backlight bleeding either.
i'm happy. i don't know what peopl are saying about it having blah colors. it's fine, and it's as bright as the 2005fpw or brighter. it's just dandy and it is WAY larger than the 2005fpw.
basically, i am very happy and the 2405fpw is legit for the vast majority. for the majority on these forums, the 2005fpw stinks.

pufftissue said:
the 2005fpw is a joke for most people if you care at all about backlight bleeding.

i got my 2405fpw today after ordering 3/11/05. it took forever to get to cali. no dead pixels, nada, nothing. it has no backlight bleeding either.
i'm happy. i don't know what peopl are saying about it having blah colors. it's fine, and it's as bright as the 2005fpw or brighter. it's just dandy and it is WAY larger than the 2005fpw.
basically, i am very happy and the 2405fpw is legit for the vast majority. for the majority on these forums, the 2005fpw stinks.

Most people don't care about backlight bleeding. Unless a major use of your monitor is to play DVDs in the dark (that's what TVs are for), then the backlighting is a non-issue.

chrism said:
Most people don't care about backlight bleeding. Unless a major use of your monitor is to play DVDs in the dark (that's what TVs are for), then the backlighting is a non-issue.

Not true. Black light bleeding will cause color on your monitor to be nonuniform. Nonuniform color is a big problem if you are doing any work with photos or video.

megmond said:
Very simply, all movies are made differently. There's no such 'standard' as 16:9 really. As you say, a lot of movies are also 2.35:1. If you translate this ratio, it's the same as 21.15:9, so not the same as 16:9.

This screen is 16:10, so if you watch something 16:9, you will get (small) black bars unless you stretch the movie. If you watch 2.35:1 the bars will be larger as it's more different from the native ratio of your screen.

So ideally, do you want to buy DVD movies that are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1? In PowerDVD I checked the box that says "keep aspect ratio" so it was able to keep the bars in there, but I also had the Pan&Scan option of making it 2.35:1 if I wanted to. I noticed this would crop part of the screen for me, however, and present me with an option to bias the view from side to side depending on which area I wanted to see.

pufftissue said:

Both the replacement and the original that I got also had some minor backlight bleed in the upper left corner. Riptide said his had the same - did you notice anything in that area?

CalKenneth said:
So ideally, do you want to buy DVD movies that are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1?
Ideally your movies would be 16:10 (or 1.6:1) since that fits exactly on the monitor. However, there are (probably) no such movies.

Then it doesn't really matter what the ratio is, since you can't get them any other way anyway I think (unless someone's either put fixed bars in, or cropped some off the sides in a 'rip').

I would simply run a movie at full screen and keep the black bars and suffer the slightly smaller image. If you are being nitpicky, you could consider a 50% division between the black bars and losing content off the sides (since most movies are >1.6:1).

I have no idea how well pan&scan works (I think it does something related to the motion vectors in the mpeg compression?) so it could be a very good option if the area on the display is constantly the 'most interesting' part of the frame, but I would just be too afraid that I'd be missing important clues in shows like CSI :) .

(edit: got mine yesterday, very happy with the switch from my 19" crt!)

Weeeheeeee!!! ..I just got my new 2405, and I must say omg, this thing is awesome! No DEAD PIXELS, and no noise issues either.

The only thing bugging me though, is mouse lag.

well can say for sure useing xbomx with xbmc and upscaling dvd image to 1080i increases the image quality.

its a much cheaper option than dvd players with scalers built in at this moment in time.

Jensen said:

Jensen, I'd forgotton about this until I got in work today. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Tony.

anyone know how to remove the orignal stand mount for this? ive spent past 40 mins trying to pull the bugger off but it wont budge. i wana stick it on my new ergotron 300 arm

there is a push button on the back of the monitor under where the stand connects. i would assume you just push this in and kinda rock the monitor back off of the stand.

Just had a quick play.

Had to nudge Jensen's code around a bit as the Nvidia drivers won't clone a display across to another graphics card. So, I added another two swf objects onto the page.

Link to a JPG montage of the 5 pics I took. (252k) You'll need to widen your browsers a bit (not a problem for us 2405'ers).
DVI Timings jpg

I then loaded the page and took the first 2 pics on the 2405 to calibrate the timings of the three counters.

I left these running and stretched the window across the three monitors leaving a counter visible on each panel. I then took 3 snaps of these.

Note, that the small timer on the right and the big timer in the middle swapped positions for some reason during the stretch.

Make of these what you will - my head hurts trying to fathom out which panel is getting the quickest signal.

A very confused Tony.

Does anyone who if this monitor supports RGB-input through the component connectors? (or is it only YPbPr) (I would like to connect a DVD-player to it with a SCART->component cable)

Jensen said:
Tony... Here is the same program but with 3 identical counters
http://webpages.charter.net/shadowfax1/counter2.html
That should make it much easier for you.

If you open the SWF file directly, you can scale it to any size...
http://webpages.charter.net/shadowfax1/counter2.swf
Right, I''ve run with Jensen's updated program - much easier, thanks Jensen.

It shows a lag of between 1.5 and 2.0 - I ran the program both as a link and the SWF saved then dropped into a browser. The timings on my 2 1800s were identical even down to point of them both starting to change number at the same time of the photo. Note these are not cloned but show their own bit of the desktop to the left and right of my 2405.

Too much signal processing methinks - still a wonderous monitor, even at UK prices.

Tony.

for some reason, the SWF file is always slower in a browser than in the Macromedia Flash application.... I get a bit more than three frames of lag....

Jensen said:
for some reason, the SWF file is always slower in a browser than in the Macromedia Flash application.... I get a bit more than three frames of lag....

are you using firefox by chance?

Jensen said:
I tested it with firefox and IE... both dispalyed it slower than in the Flash application

i suppose that still makes sense, i just notice a lot of flash performance issues with firefox... i suppose its just the crummy performance of the flash plugin in general

Here is a little update on my color settings for you graphic designers out there!

I use my 2405 for graphic design along side a lacie 22" CRT. I have the colors matched very close now with the following settings:

- Brightness 15 (lower is still within range, but not higher!)
- R - 21
- G - 20
- B - 12
- Gamma 81

dadj said:
Here is a little update on my color settings for you graphic designers out there!

I use my 2405 for graphic design along side a lacie 22" CRT. I have the colors matched very close now with the following settings:

- Brightness 15 (lower is still within range, but not higher!)
- R - 21
- G - 20
- B - 12
- Gamma 81

Do you use your 2405 in a well-lit room? Those settings seem pretty dim.

Back