Unsettling EULA for Quake Live using PunkBuster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Valve probably didn't update their EULA doesn't mean they didn't update their VAC's capabilities.

I see, so now you're speculating that Valve is doing these things despite the fact that they would be criminally and civilly liable under a wealth of unauthorized access laws? Do you have any evidence to support this? Do you really believe Valve's legal team is that dumb?

Again you are suggesting that every multiplayer game has mandatory intrusive anti-cheat software. This is not the case. Some games don't have any, and some have optional AC (most according to another poster).

Why is optional AC not an agreeable solution? You get your intrusive scans, and fewer cheaters; and we get our privacy and more cheaters.

I see, so now you're speculating..
I'm speculating ? It's a fact that VAC catches many of those kinds of cheats. If VAC only scanned the steam folder and memory addresses they wouldn't be able to catch some of the cheats that they do.

If anyone is speculating, its the tinfoil crowd that's speculating that big brother aka the AC company is stealing all their data and using it for evil purposes. And now that they see they are the minority, they wanna change the subject to X AC is better than Y AC, even though they do the same damn thing.

Drexion, I suggest we stop. They aren't willing to listen to reason and think civil rights are comparable to anti cheat software:p
You're right. I think all the major points are covered by now anyway. Thread's starting to go in circles.

See how fast all these whiners 'look the other way' when Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 get released with WardenAC - probably the most aggressive and invasive AC of them all.

Now we just need to find an instance of someone using PunkBuster, that agreed to the EULA, and gets busted for something like child pr0n or whatever (since that's the most common thing to get busted for when you own a PC, right? It makes software piracy look small based on what "they" say), and then we see the person has done some deletion of data on the PC, but... wait... what's this... PunkBuster was installed...

Then the Feds or the prosecutors go knocking on the front door at Even Balance HQ and throw a warrant at 'em for info which they will most certainly have even though the claim is "we don't keep the data" because we all know that's not true (*cough*Google*cough*Yahoo*cough*every company that gets data from you*cough*)...

This isn't even started yet...

I'm speculating ? It's a fact that VAC catches many of those kinds of cheats. If VAC only scanned the steam folder and memory addresses they wouldn't be able to catch some of the cheats that they do.
How do you know this? Are you in the field of computer security? Do you have any actual evidence to back this claim? Do you really believe Valve would allow for such a big legal liability when they could simply update their EULAs? Really, I'm interested in knowing.

I don't think anyone here has suggested "stealing all their data and using it for evil purposes" despite you claiming we are. Can you link to a post here where someone speculates that this is true? I'm pretty sure you're putting words in people's mouths here.

You've apparently missed the point, which is we don't like giving away the privacy we currently enjoy.

And still, you have yet to address why optional AC isn't an agreeable solution.

Drexion, I suggest we stop. They aren't willing to listen to reason and think civil rights are comparable to anti cheat software:p

It's a sad day when people are willing to give up rights people have died for, so they can play a game with fewer cheaters. Really puts perspective on the culture.

It's a sad day when people are willing to give up rights people have died for, so they can play a game with fewer cheaters. Really puts perspective on the culture.

It's a sad day when people don't understand how they give up their privacy on many other things and still do it. Unless you just stay in your house all day you're going to give up something.

This thread still going?

Point and laugh at all of you, you signed away your rights long ago....

This has got to be the most fucking stupid post I have ever seen in a long time.
Those civil rights were about giving people the right to a CHOICE.

In the western world, if a black guy chooses to marry a white girl that's fine, if he chooses to marry a black girl that's fine as well - he has the right to make a CHOICE.

In the western world, if a woman chooses to vote that's fine, if she chooses to not vote that's fine as well - she has the right to make a CHOICE.

In the western world, if a Muslim woman chooses to wear a head-to-toe dress that's fine, if she chooses not to that's fine as well - she has the right to make a CHOICE.

In the western world, if a gamer chooses to not install anti cheat software that's fine, if he chooses to install it that's fine as well - he has the right to make a CHOICE.

Your limits to privacy is whatever you want it to fucking be - its your CHOICE. As mentioned before in this thread multiple times, if you give permission or choose to have your house filled with cameras (like in realityTV shows), it is not an invasion of privacy.

>>Dreaz wrote "willing to give up rights"
Someone CHOOSING to have a baby, is not GIVING UP HER RIGHT to an abortion. Its a CHOICE.

Comparing AC software to civil rights is fucking stupid. Don't do it. There are people who would be rolling in their graves if they read this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back