Upgrade from 2490wuxi?

rosh

Limp Gawd
Well, after trying 3 2490wuxi i have no idea where to go. I had problems with uniformity specially with low brightness (even with colorcomp) also the little sparkle effect.

What monitor should i try now?

Basically i need good uniform 24" screen. I dnt care much about input lag. But i do need good viewing angles.

Any suggestions?

I have already tried three 2408wfp and two u2410 but they are worse than 2490

How about 24 cinema display. Is it better than 2490wuxi?. Howabout the uniformity of that?

Last edited:
Uniformity wise, you won't find a better monitor than the 2490wuxi.

Are you buying refurbs or new?

You can try the HP LP2475w, I have one and it's very uniform. But every LCD has some variation in brightness, what are you expecting.

Well, after trying 3 2490wuxi i have no idea where to go. I had problems with uniformity specially with low brightness (even with colorcomp) also the little sparkle effect.

What monitor should i try now?

Basically i need good uniform 24" screen. I dnt care much about input lag. But i do need good viewing angles.

Any suggestions?

How about 24 cinema display. Is it better than 2490wuxi?. Howabout the uniformity of that?

There is no upgrade for the NEC 2490WUXi.
The number of monitors you've tried says that the problem is not related entirely to the monitors.
Relax and try more 2490WUXi.
There is no reason for the 24 cinema to be more uniform than any other display.
Try it. A glossy panel can mask some uniformity imperfection with some reflection.
Viewing angles will be worse than on the NEC 2490WUXi (LCD glow, again somewhat masked with glossy effect).

Uniformity wise, you won't find a better monitor than the 2490wuxi.

Are you buying refurbs or new?

You can try the HP LP2475w, I have one and it's very uniform. But every LCD has some variation in brightness, what are you expecting.

All the 8 monitors are brand new and unopened.

There is no upgrade for the NEC 2490WUXi.
The number of monitors you've tried says that the problem is not related entirely to the monitors.
Relax and try more 2490WUXi.
There is no reason for the 24 cinema to be more uniform than any other display.
Try it. A glossy panel can mask some uniformity imperfection with some reflection.
Viewing angles will be worse than on the NEC 2490WUXi (LCD glow, again somewhat masked with glossy effect).

Thanks albovin,

Im not sure seller is willing to send me another replacement since they already sent me 3 monitors.

The problem arise with low brightness specially. Im using 0% brightness usually. Blockage from colorcomp is noticeable also at that level sometimes like muddy color areas.

What is the best and cheapest way to connect the cinema 24 to my pc?. I have 9800GT installed on my pc.

Thanks albovin,

Im not sure seller is willing to send me another replacement since they already sent me 3 monitors.

The problem arise with low brightness specially. Im using 0% brightness usually. Blockage from colorcomp is noticeable also at that level sometimes like muddy color areas.

What is the best and cheapest way to connect the cinema 24 to my pc?. I have 9800GT installed on my pc.

There isn't a way. Sorry.

2690 Wuxi /spectra vew calibrated.

Thats what i own. Would recommend this over any CRT or LCD that has been made. If you have the cash get the 30" model.

Well, after trying 3 2490wuxi i have no idea where to

Seriously at some point you have to realize you are the problem.

You have tried 8 copies of the better monitors on the market and none of them are up to your standards. That should tell you something.

Your standards are not realistic.

The 2490/U2410 share the same basic panel with the Apple Cinema display, so they will all share similar uniformity issues.

The Apple cinema display is Glossy so you won't have any of the graininess. Possible all the reflections will hide uniformity issues from you and you would be happy. Are you OK with reflections, because the Apple is like a mirror.

New ATI cards have display port connects and should be able to drive the new apple cinema display. Maybe ask in the Apple forum or Video card forum.

In this thread it seems like the new DP 5000 series cards don't work, but older ATI cards with display port do.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2194066&tstart=0

Last edited:
2690 Wuxi /spectra vew calibrated.

Thats what i own. Would recommend this over any CRT or LCD that has been made. If you have the cash get the 30" model.

These are all the same type of panel as in the 2490 and reports indicate uniformity issues get worse the bigger you go. So this is not a solution to his "issues".

I know the 30" Dell IPS I tried was a piece of junk compared to my 2490.

There isn't a way. Sorry.
To the OP... if you really want to go the extra mile and try to get a 24" LED apple cinema connected to your pc, you will need either a videocard with a displayport out or you'll need this powered/active dvi source to displayport out converter http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html ....

i've been in the same boat as you roughly, i have a u2410 currently(keep it and deal with the graininess), upgrade to a NEC 2490wuxi (deal with polarizer sparkle), or an apple 24" cinema w/ converter (pay out the arse and get glare), or drop down to a NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi (deal with lag and 16:9)...

i went and took a look at the 24 inch cinema again and i really want it, beautiful , i think i could deal with the glare but it would cost me so damn much... :(

May be something wrong with me, my eyes keep focusing on the defects always. I was using a TN 226bw for 2 years and never has such problems except viewing angles and color accuracy.

Basically the muddy look from the panel comes from the unaligned plararizor i guess. Because when i see it in dark background i see these red spots coming from the polarizer clearly. Every monitor i have has that muddy spots on different locations.

http://img510.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0396hv.jpg

i've been in the same boat as you roughly, i have a u2410 currently(keep it and deal with the graininess), upgrade to a NEC 2490wuxi (deal with polarizer sparkle), or an apple 24" cinema w/ converter (pay out the arse and get glare), or drop down to a NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi (deal with lag and 16:9)...

I think you have some terms mixed up.

There is no polarizer sparkle. When people talk about the sparkly/sandy coating they are talking about the anti glare coating on matte screens. If you get a matte screen you will have this effect to some degree. You primarily notice this on white or light color backgrounds.

The 2490 matte coating is less sparkly than the one on the u2410, so if the white background matte coating is not bothering you on the u2410 it is only going to be better on the 2490.

The only way to get significantly less than the 2490 is to get a glossy screen, like the Apple 24".

May be something wrong with me, my eyes keep focusing on the defects always. I was using a TN 226bw for 2 years and never has such problems except viewing angles and color accuracy.

Basically the muddy look from the panel comes from the unaligned plararizor i guess. Because when i see it in dark background i see these red spots comming come the polarizer clearly. Every monitor i have has that muddy spots on different locations.

Looking at those images, you are just looking for problems. Sitting in the dark looking a pure black screen. Mine probably looks something like that if I crank up the backlight and take a picture in the dark(I would have to turn up my backlight to match yours because after a few thousand hours it is significantly dimmer than a new unit), but it isn't something that shows up in normal usage.

Turn on the lights. LCDs simply aren't suitable for use in the dark. Even my LCD TV with high contrast a superior black level looks like crap in the dark.

To the OP... if you really want to go the extra mile and try to get a 24" LED apple cinema connected to your pc, you will need either a videocard with a displayport out or you'll need this powered/active dvi source to displayport out converter http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html ....

i went and took a look at the 24 inch cinema again and i really want it, beautiful , i think i could deal with the glare but it would cost me so damn much... :(

You have noticeable graininess on 2490 but its nothing when you compare it to u2410, which has the worst grainy effect. I have u2410 with much uniformer screen. But i cant live with that stupid graininess.

Looking at those images, you are just looking for problems. Sitting in the dark looking a pure black screen. Mine probably looks something like that if I crank up the backlight and take a picture in the dark(I would have to turn up my backlight to match yours because after a few thousand hours it is significantly dimmer than a new unit), but it isn't something that shows up in normal usage.

Turn on the lights. LCDs simply aren't suitable for use in the dark. Even my LCD TV with high contrast a superior black level looks like crap in the dark.

Ya, actually i dont care what i see on that dark screens. The problem is i see some muddy dark spots on light background exactly what i have on dark screen. The camera image of those white screens doesnt show much but naked eye can see it clearly.

Basically the muddy look from the panel comes from the unaligned plararizor i guess. Because when i see it in dark background i see these red spots coming from the polarizer clearly. Every monitor i have has that muddy spots on different locations.

That is some pretty bad looking uniformity, but I can't tell what I'm looking at there. It's almost like there is a reflection there or something.

What is the background set to, and do you have color comp enabled? Something looks wrong with those pics. What is the retailer you purchased them from? Did you talk to NEC about getting a replacement?

That is some pretty bad looking uniformity, but I can't tell what I'm looking at there. It's almost like there is a reflection there or something.

What is the background set to, and do you have color comp enabled? Something looks wrong with those pics. What is the retailer you purchased them from? Did you talk to NEC about getting a replacement?

These are images of a black screen taken in the dark. Colorcomp doesn't do anything with black.

These are images of a black screen taken in the dark. Colorcomp doesn't do anything with black.

They don't look like black in the dark, look at the wall behind the second one. I looks like some shade of purple or black in a lighted room with a reflection of the photographer on the screen. Or something.

If that's black in a dark room with high exposure, then that is horrible uniformity or bleed.

They don't look like black in the dark, look at the wall behind the second one. I looks like some shade of purple or black in a lighted room with a reflection of the photographer on the screen. Or something.

If that's black in a dark room with high exposure, then that is horrible uniformity or bleed.

I don't know, but they are 1 second exposures.

Try running at a higher brightness level. Also, calibrating with the Spectraview software might help.

There shouldn't be any reflection since the pic is taken in the dark. The higher brightness makes the bright screens more uniform (but still not acceptable) and make dark screens ruin by highlighting those un-uniform area.

Well, i purchased these monitors from Dell. They would send me another one if i ask. But im reluctant since i have already received 3 2490 monitors from them. Two are made in 2009/4 and the other 2008/12. Is there any version or something like that i should look for?

Well as you want uniformity the only screens to guarantee that are the NEC xx90 series with the Colorcomp uniformity correction and high end Eizo's with their equivalent. As you are not keen on your NEC screens it is time to look at Eizo.

You could maybe contact NEC direct and discuss your issues.

Well, showed the pictures i got to NEC tech support and they also wondering about that kinda uniformity issue.

BTW i have checked Apple cinema display at J & R. Its really really clear. White is 100% white since no sparkle at all.

Anyway is it worth to go for apple from 2490?. What can i go wrong with apple?

The 24" ACD has a different panel than the 2490wuxi.

LM240WU6-SDA1 in the ACD

LM240WU2 in the NEC

Anyway is it worth to go for apple from 2490?

It depends on what you use your monitor for.
Apple looks great, but it is a bare panel, no controls, no connectivity, no ergonomics, no hardware calibration, yes LCD glow.
Matte coating effect will be replaced with glossy coating effect.
Even those tiny glass shells of the past called CRTs managed to be not uniform.
So...try more.

The 24" ACD has a different panel than the 2490wuxi.

LM240WU6-SDA1 in the ACD

LM240WU2 in the NEC

Well essentially that just marks the LED backlight. It is still a 24" LG IPS panel. Every LG IPS panels suffers uniformity issues. You see it on the Dell 2209, Dell u2410, etc .....

try the new imac 27 inch screen, maybe buy the lower end model and use it as a screen, it has higher resolution as well.

I suspect the best panels get cherry picked... I bet apple pays a small premium and gets the most uniform displays. Anyhow, have you tried the LaCie 526?

I also have a Dell U2410 and am trying to figure out whether to keep it or go for the Nec.... very tough call considering what I'm reading.

Do not deal with a reseller. Deal with NEC. They are have one of the best customer service in the industry. They even RMA refurbished units with no questions asked.

Depending on what you're using it for, you won't be upgrading to anything better.

Got the 4th replacement and damn, its not good either. Color comp sucks. Its good to make the background even but kill the pure white by blocking. So finally decided to return all of them.

Anyway went to see apple store. The new 27" mac is stunning. I dont know how apple manage to get more uniform screens. Even their ACD 24 is much uniformer than most of the IPS and even 2490 with colorcomp OFF. If apple would release the bare 27" monitor, that would be great.

Glossy, but 0% sparkle. 100% clean. $799 for students ($100 off).

Back