Valve games, steam games, Blizzard games cheap (Left4Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you can't argue with Valve's retail policy, region locking CD keys is kinda bullshit. PC games are supposed to be able to work in any region no matter where you buy them. Region locking is a form of DRM that should be left the assholes that run the movie companies. They need to keep that shit out of PC games.

I want to agree with you, but not all countries are equal. In order to sell games and combat piracy in other countries they have to charge a lot less. Some people just flat can't afford their currency's equivalent of 50 USD. And it really isn't fair for me to go their and buy, exploiting the system. We hate it it when people come to the U.S. and exploit crap here.

The only thing holding the $15 deal up in my mind is that it said "region free." Should be totally legit if that's true. And if not, you would've gotten Steam's standard region warning.

what about the soldiers overseas that buy a game over there, then bring their computer back to the states?

what about the soldiers overseas that buy a game over there, then bring their computer back to the states?

They are such a small fraction of the total market. Value is not going to design a pricing system around them. But don't worry, I'm sure Value would do something so the people who served our country do not end up with an unplayable game when they return.

Just read this on the HL2World forums.

That "G2Play" site is not legit. They are an unauthorized reseller selling retail keys without retail boxes. Valve have a stict policy in place when it comes to just selling game CD Keys - and those guys were operating under the radar up until a few weeks back when Valve became aware of them.

This occured a few years back with another site just selling CD Keys, and Valve region locked the CD Keys. If this occurs there is a chance that you will be unable to play the game if you are outside the "region" the CD Key was first originally allocated to.

Buyer beware, that is all I will say!

Will be interesting to see if these keys actually get locked. :eek:

I want to agree with you, but not all countries are equal. In order to sell games and combat piracy in other countries they have to charge a lot less. Some people just flat can't afford their currency's equivalent of 50 USD. And it really isn't fair for me to go their and buy, exploiting the system. We hate it it when people come to the U.S. and exploit crap here.

The only thing holding the $15 deal up in my mind is that it said "region free." Should be totally legit if that's true. And if not, you would've gotten Steam's standard region warning.

And thats the pitfall of digital downloading. I have no problem with people from other countries importing stuff from the US when its cheaper than buying it locally. Its not like these publishers going to sell games at a loss so they're still making money.

Interesting how this whole deal is shady at best. However, do you think Valve would region-lock the codes? I, for one, think that's a bit unlikely (here's hoping), given the fact that gifted games can actually be played outside the regions they were bought in and all. Now, as a non-US customer, and I've met quite a few just like me, that would be pretty, pretty weird in the end. Maybe Valve will solve this whole cd-key thing through a lawsuit in Poland and just that. Or they may not even consider the whole thing, who knows.

Interesting how this whole deal is shady at best. However, do you think Valve would region-lock the codes? I, for one, think that's a bit unlikely (here's hoping), given the fact that gifted games can actually be played outside the regions they were bought in and all. Now, as a non-US customer, and I've met quite a few just like me, that would be pretty, pretty weird in the end. Maybe Valve will solve this whole cd-key thing through a lawsuit in Poland and just that. Or they may not even consider the whole thing, who knows.

Easiest thing to do would be to send a ceist and desist letter to G2Play asking them to remove all Valve games from their site.

Easiest thing to do would be to send a ceist and desist letter to G2Play asking them to remove all Valve games from their site.

I think its going to come down to steam accusing them of not having legitiment copies of the games to go with the keys, but I don't see valve going after users. It's too risky, but I really don't think theres any laws against selling legitimate cd-keys. I think region locking any game on steam would make things difficult for valve. If I can't play games on european servers because I have an american key or vice versa would mean I can't play games with about half my friends and my wife. Yeah, I don't know. If G2play has legitiment keys then tough potatoes for valve.

I think region locking any game on steam would make things difficult for valve. If I can't play games on european servers because I have an american key or vice versa would mean I can't play games with about half my friends and my wife.

Region locking does not restrict the servers you can play on. I think it has to do with which steam server you log into. After the game starts, you can play on any server.

Will be interesting to see if these keys actually get locked. :eek:

I don't think they will. The best Valve can do is get G2Play to stop selling them. It was only $15 per sale and if everyone in the US that bought it at that price take Valve to small claims court to get back their $15 (or worse $49.95 to be able to repurchase the game) and court fees they would be in litigation hell. If they don't have a representative show up to every one of the proceedings they lose by default.

It was an acceptable risk to me to get into the deal, but if Valve locked me out of playing it now after it was already activated, I would take them to small claims court. IMO if Valve rejected the keys at the time I registered it I would be out $15 because G2Play tricked me and it was my fault for buying it from them, but if Valve locks me out after I downloaded, activated, and played it then they are at fault for not realizing it. I have an activation receipt as proof of them accepting my purchase as legitimate and that would probably be enough in small claims court to rule in favor of the buyer.

It was an acceptable risk to me to get into the deal, but if Valve locked me out of playing it now after it was already activated, I would take them to small claims court. IMO if Valve rejected the keys at the time I registered it I would be out $15 because G2Play tricked me and it was my fault for buying it from them, but if Valve locks me out after I downloaded, activated, and played it then they are at fault for not realizing it. I have an activation receipt as proof of them accepting my purchase as legitimate and that would probably be enough in small claims court to rule in favor of the buyer.

Thisssss. It would have been different if the activation code didn't work in the first place, but it has for many people (and probably many, many more who posted outside this thread).

That said, if I end up not being able to play, I won't worry too much - I had a feeling it might have been a gamble going into the deal, and it might still be. But for $15? It's worth it for me.

If they get disabled we can always make a claim on paypal.

And trust me, they'll do nothing to help you out. They'll say, "we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we cannot guarantee the condition of the product purchased".

Well said - I find myself agreeing with this. Maybe it was just their own promotional sale, anyways. After all, it is back up to $20.

And trust me, they'll do nothing to help you out. They'll say, "we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we cannot guarantee the condition of the product purchased".

Which is exactly why you should make sure ALL of your paypal purchases are funded by a credit card.

I had an issue with an ebay seller not shipping me what I won. I filed my claim with paypal, and waited. And waited. And waited so that they could tell me that they couldn't get my money back. A simple phone call to my credit card company and a fax of what happened and I had my money back.

PayPal will not fight for you or on your behalf. But my credit card company sure will.

Which is exactly why you should make sure ALL of your paypal purchases are funded by a credit card.

I had an issue with an ebay seller not shipping me what I won. I filed my claim with paypal, and waited. And waited. And waited so that they could tell me that they couldn't get my money back. A simple phone call to my credit card company and a fax of what happened and I had my money back.

PayPal will not fight for you or on your behalf. But my credit card company sure will.

Great advice that I personally follow as well. All of my purchases are from CC paypal so I have a backup source if paypal doesn't follow through.

i really wana bite on this deal, i missed out on the 25$ steam sale but im really scared they will ban/region lock the keys like they did with orange box.

i bit the bullet and made a order, the paypal payment got messed up so i sent it too the email on the website like it said with the order #, lets hope it works out ^^

well they finaly emailed me saying they didnt get payment, and asked for the paypal info. i sent it back, really hope i get my key soon.

I am posting this for a friend who does not have 50 posts yet...

For those of you who went through with the purchase, did you see an immediate bill posting on your paypal account? My friend purchased, recieved the confirmation order through e-mail, but nothing shows up in his paypal... and he has not received any key yet.

Under his order, the payment method does show Paypal via a credit card. It has only been a few hours, but we thought it should have hit the paypal account right away. Anyone else experience this?

same happend to me, something messes up with paypal and you dont get charged.

Mine went through immediately. I did click on the actual paypal steps though. It actually took me to paypal where I logged in and confirmed payment. then it sent me back for my key. Quick question someone mentioned being able to add games to a blizzard account? Im talking starcraft diablo etc. Can someone sned me to where you would start an account?

same happend to me, something messes up with paypal and you dont get charged.

what ended up happening with you? i just had the same thing with paypal happen where it doesnt charge.

I ordered OB from them and didnt have this problem. Hm.

woke up today and finaly got my code in the email.worked on steam just fine.

Ok, heres whats happened for me. I bought left4dead on the first sale. It took me directly to paypal paid and then it took me to the g2play and gave me the key added to steam, done and done.

So I noticed you could get a DD blizzard account and it intrigued me. Since the steam weekend deal is epic fail ( no offense) I tried to buy WC3, starcraft, and Diablo II, LOD. It never gave me a paypal option to actually click. I ended up having to make an account. Not exactly psyched about a polish website having my personal info but I'm moving to Belgium so "get used to it" I guess. I put in an order and even logged into paypal. I thought I confirmed it. Even got a confirmation on g2play. Then I get an email requiring confirmation of purchase. Then I noticed my paypal never got charged so following the help site instructions I made a manual payment. Nothing. I emailed them. This morning they emailed me back saying I didnt pay. So I sent them my receipt from paypal. Then they sent me my keys for WC3 and Diablo. The diablo keys worked fine but the WC3 was already claimed. I emailed them and they requested screens. once I sent those they got me a good WC3 key. As it stands the only thing I'm missing is my Starcraft key. They said theyre waiting on an order of them.

Sorry for the diatribe. My final assessment pending the StarCraft key is that you aren't dealing with NewEgg or Steam youre dealing with a small polish company. Take that for what its worth. Would I deal with them again? Yeah I will depending on what deals come up. I paid 18.88 for Starcraft/broodwars, Diablo II/LoD, and Warcraft 3. I couldnt beat that on ebay and on ebay my keys wont be garranteed to work on Blizzard DD account.

This is not an attack on steam. I love steam. I wish I could have gotten my games on steam instead of Blizzard. I think Steam is just getting the hang of digital download price points. They are doing much better than a lot of places. You have to understand though. If I buy a cd its $13 I get a little cd and booklet, and maybe even bling. if I buy mp3's I expect to pay half that or less. That's just my take on the economics of it.

They paypal doesn't work, you have to send a manual payment the email is on the front page.

I sent them a payment manually and hes asking me to send him a receipt? how do I do this? :c\

Receipt? I'm not sure what he means by that. Oh and is Orange Box ok to buy from here?

Ok, got my L4D key finally. Ended up sending them a payment manually, and then forwarded my receipt email from PayPal to them. guess thats what they meant when they asked me for a receipt. lol

Key worked in Steam just fine.

Zombie killing inc.

I finally got everything this morning. It's nice to have service on the weekend I wasnt expecting to get my SC key til Monday or later. I didn't forward them my paypal email just copied the pertinent transaction info so they could look it up on their side. Yeah they're small its the same as trying to warhammer figurines from a nobody German toy shop. I'd deal with them again no problem.

I just purchased the L4D key and I'm now at the end of order screen at G2Play.com. I went through Paypal via CC steps. What do I do now? Wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back