Video Cards FAQ

rrodriguez0001` said:
I just bought a new mother board. It's the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. I went to buy a second card, in addition to the video card I have now and was told that my 6800GT AGP wouldn't work in an pcie slot. I was told that the agp card was different from the pcie - physically. It physically wouldn't fit. Is this true? Are there two different nVidia 6800 GT cards? :confused:

Thanks-a-mill,
Rich

Umm yeah.....didn't think this needed to be said, but your AGP card ain't gonna work in no PCI-E slot. Sorry bro, but if you were already running an AGP card you're gonna have to sell it and pick up a pair of PCI-E 6800GT's.

I for one am not touching SLI until I see what ATI can bring to the table....that and I'm just having to much fun with my s478 rig right now with the possibility of a Pelt on the way for the XT-PE and some new cooling coming for the 3.4E.

i still like the 478 boards...its simple....i havnt touched the other boards...ok i have at Frys..but never built any with them..my 3.06 still loves to be overclocked to 3.8

Warrior said:
i still like the 478 boards...its simple....

yes, but almost too simple at times, which is why I still wanna try out an A64......cus you've got more then just your FSB and vcore to raise/lower. :p

good idea...acaully to get back on the topic....i got a question... how much ram do you think a computer should have for a 6800GT for all the settings maxed...because i love maxing settings but when i exit a game on my 512MB of ram...it takes a long time to get back to "normal" in windows...

Warrior said:
good idea...acaully to get back on the topic....i got a question... how much ram do you think a computer should have for a 6800GT for all the settings maxed...because i love maxing settings but when i exit a game on my 512MB of ram...it takes a long time to get back to "normal" in windows...

That doesn't necessariy HAVE to have to do wtih the ram.....but no decent gaming machine these days with a card like that should have less then 1GB of ram. I personllay can't stand doing my daily work and whatnot with only 512MB......its just not enough IMO.

Warrior said:
ok ..fair enough....thnx for the info..

Np, it's what I'm here for.......dont hesitate to shoot me any other questions you might have, seeing as this thread is somewhat of a Q and A now. ;)

the only question that i have and that you did not mention is, do you do these steps after installing your new video card or before installing it. so its:

install new video card
turn computer on, follow steps

or

then install new video card?

Xelemental said:
the only question that i have and that you did not mention is, do you do these steps after installing your new video card or before installing it. so its:

install new video card

or

then install new video card?

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean....and that can depend.

If it's a new computer being put togethor then you're obviously going to be installing the new card and then simply going through the installation process. If you're switching cards you'll go through the cleaning process FIRST, before you take our your "old" card, then shut down, take out the old and install the new card, then start back up and go through the installation.

Let me know if that did or didnt answer your question.

thanks a lot. totally answered my question. just got a 6600GT and im about to put it in first thing tommorow. so excited!!

Xelemental said:
thanks a lot. totally answered my question. just got a 6600GT and im about to put it in first thing tommorow. so excited!!

Cool stuff, hope it goes well for ya. :)

hello i have a x800xt pe running xp,,,whatdrivers version should i use? and do i install control panel ,wdm ,and display,,, or just cat,,?:cool:

cornelious0_0 said:
yes, but almost too simple at times, which is why I still wanna try out an A64......cus you've got more then just your FSB and vcore to raise/lower. :p
once you go AMD, you never, ever, ever, go back to intel. ever. you wont even want to sell your intel chip, and make someone else suffer.

Install teh Cat 5.1s and the CCC install is up to you. I dont like it I just use the old school way.

Blazeshaska said:
once you go AMD, you never, ever, ever, go back to intel. ever. you wont even want to sell your intel chip, and make someone else suffer.
i came to intel after 3 amd setups.. all low performance now..but i like my intel setup..and will always stay true to intel.. \m/

Blazeshaska said:
once you go AMD, you never, ever, ever, go back to intel. ever.
[
The opposite is true for those who appreciate stable systems :)

jon67 said:
[
The opposite is true for those who appreciate stable systems :)

stable system, damn straight!.. my computer has practicly been on for 3 weeks strainght ( if your counting the lan party at my house..it had about 10mins of off time)

One for us video newbies, what do the various connectors really mean? Eg S-Video carries picture only and not sound, what's the diff. with DVI-D and DVI-E, component video etc. I'd love a good, general overview.

[edit] Or point me somewhere useful and I can gather data for anyone. Might as well make myself somewhat useful on these forums. :D

eggrock said:
One for us video newbies, what do the various connectors really mean? Eg S-Video carries picture only and not sound, what's the diff. with DVI-D and DVI-E, component video etc. I'd love a good, general overview.

[edit] Or point me somewhere useful and I can gather data for anyone. Might as well make myself somewhat useful on these forums. :D
well all these connections on the back of your card...they all give you video in some way..seeing how all your video does is video..it can get the sound....that comes from your sound card... the DVI is mostly for LCD displays...and the S-Video is mostly for TVs...i ran into a nice problem this weekend when i had this s-video to rca video connector for my old 9500pro card..and it dosnt fit in my 6800GT...the GT only has a s-video out...with a whole difforent plugin than the 9500pro :eek:

I wish Intel had found a way, when it designed PCI-E, to let our "AGP" video cards fit into PCI-E slots.
But it didn't.
Which means my new awesome powerful "256mb BFG 6800GT/OC" video card can't go in a PCI-E motherboard.
The only advice I get is a cold-hearted statement: "Sell it".
Sell my new killer-card that I just bot? No way, Jose !!
Hmm, I guess it's time to commit suicide.

A list of cards in order of performance.

6800 Ultra SLI
6800 GT SLI
X850 XT-PE
6800 SLI
6600 GT SLI
X850 XT
X800 XT-PE
X800 XT
6800 Ultra
X800 XL
X800 Pro
6800 GT
6800 GTO
6600 GT
X700 Pro
6610 XL
X600 XT
X300

There are most of the cards from the current generation.

Is a v4/5 silencer beter than x850xt-pe stock cooler?
What is the diff in temps?

What exactly is VIVO and does it make the card any better if it does have it or not?

6800 Ultra SLI
6800 GT SLI
X850 XT-PE
X850 XT
X800 XT-PE
X800 XT
6800 Ultra
6800 SLI
6600 GT SLI
X800 XL
6800 GT
X800 Pro
6800 GTO
6600 GT
X700 Pro
6610 XL
X600 XT
X300

IMO

ST|FFY said:
What exactly is VIVO and does it make the card any better if it does have it or not?

Video In / Video Out
It should have no impact on your PC performance (games) since i believe it needs an extra chip (or at least it used to). This is not the same as a cable "tunner" card where you can plug in your cable and watch TV in your computer.

VIVO is usefull to watch DVDs in a big TV or to capture TV/VCR/etc. Basically, with the right programs you can turn your computer into a TiVO or a video recording/editing studio.

Did I miss anything?

are different cards better for different types of games? according to these lists, it looks like the 6800gt and x800xl are pretty close, is either significantly better than the other for stuff like WoW-type stuff or HL and other fps games?

Greetings !!!!

I am kinda newbie here, could help me out on this one. I am currently studying about video card and CPU's.

My question is,"Is there a website that shows charts about Video Cards \ CPU's in their respective equivalent or by pairing?" For example a Geforce MX 400 equivalen (being paired) to ATI 7000 ( If I am correct or wrong :confused: ), a Pentium III 700 MHz is equivalent ( being paired) to AMD K-7 700 Mhz ( this is correct right :) )

Sorry if dont understand my English. By the way, I am from Philippines.

Keep it UP!
zorim

ok, well here's my prob....the heatsinks on my radeon 9800 pro 256mb just fall off, so i tried to rma it, and once i sent it in, 3 weeks later they send the same card back saying it was modified. i told them they just fell off, and they're just like "too bad! WARRANTY VOID!"

...so what should i do....
i already bought the ati silencer 3, specifically designed for this card, and it doesnt fit (the prongs dont match the holes on the card)....
does anyone have a good heatsink for the radeon 9800 pro 256mb that theyd like to trade me for the ATI Silencer 3?

heres a pic
http://home.iprimus.com.au/maslovsky/noisemagic/large/ATI Silencer 3 half.JPG

I have a question about Radeon's new Crossfire platform. All of the articles I've read say that you can use your existing x800 or x850 video card and only have to have an xpress 200 chipset motherboard and the new crossfire video card of the same series to make it work, but if you have an existing AGP x800 or x850 card, will it work or do you have to have a PCI-E card?

It would work if the Rialto bridge allows AGP -> PCI-E conversion. Otherwise, you would need a pci-e card.

Back