Video Cards FAQ

mentok1982 said:
A list of cards in order of performance.

6600 GT SLI
X850 XT
X800 XT-PE
X800 XT
6800 Ultra
im going to have to disagree... cause everywhere i see a single card X800 XT beat a 6600GTI sli.. they are about the same in performance.. if not worse...
and the x800XTPE smokes a 6600GT sli :eek:
please reconsider this statment mentok!

i know ballsy Source but its very helpful

hmm no one wants to challange me on that huh.. yeah.... just cause its SLI dont mean shit.. thoes 66GTs are really not the performers in SLI.. they are practicly half of a 6800U in performance... for single and SLI comparisons... when anyone wants to get a 6600GT i recomend a 6800NU at least.. for around the same price you get a hell of alot more performance.. and to thoes ATI cards... X8xx even the low end ones are at 6800GT levels and are nice performers..

I agree and I think the owner of this thread needs to add in that with ATI cards you should delete the temp file in you C:/ directory called ATI or something, otherwise when you uninstall and windows tries to find a driver it does, and it's the same one you uninstalled.

~Adam

I was under the impression from dozens of reviews and benchmarks I've read that the x850 XT-PE is much better than a 6800 Ultra in almost every game not specifically designed for nvidia...

And I answered my own question by realizing how those cards are put in order...

lol np it is very true tho.. even in doom 3 the 850XTPE is damn close if not better.. so the Nvidia specialized games didnt last for nvidia

I do wish Nvidia and ATI would get their acts together. Usually Nvidia has the drivers, but lags in hardware advancement. And ATI has the cutting-edge hardware, but needs the drivers...

Neslepax said:
IUsually Nvidia has the drivers, but lags in hardware advancement. ...
i disagree.. Nvidia has a core out jnow that has all the new Eye candy and ATI has a modifyed 9800 core... Nvidia has a completly redone core with SM3.0 and HDR..and all the eye candy making games look great... while ATI has old tech.. making it faster.. it dosnt have alot of tech advancmens under its hood.. so what they are fast... but they got no tech... its like.. yeah a dragster is fast.. but it cant get you to work.... (in my state)

mentok1982 said:
A list of cards in order of performance.

6800 Ultra SLI
6800 GT SLI
X850 XT-PE
6800 SLI
6600 GT SLI
X850 XT
X800 XT-PE
X800 XT
6800 Ultra
X800 XL
X800 Pro
6800 GT
6800 GTO
6600 GT
X700 Pro
6610 XL
X600 XT
X300

There are most of the cards from the current generation.

Are you sure that the X800 XL is a better performer than the 6800 GT? And I'm all but certain that the X800 Pro would be slower than the 6800 GT. Also, in general, the 6800 GT seems to cost $50 more than the X800 XL, so given your list, who'd want to buy a slower and more expensive card? Finally, you might want to update your list to place the new 7800 card in there.

Thanks for that list.

But how is graphical quality affected, nvidia is finally putting the squeeze on ati with shader 3.0, This shader is being standarized, even splinter cell chaos theory discriminates is either shader 3.0 or 1.1 and shader 1.1 is trash. So is far cry they offer some immage quality increase to make nvidia quality up to par with ati in some cases, but at same time gives 10% speed boost. Technology boxes u in, same thing with PCI express 16x shows no real advantage to agp 8x besides being able to strap two cards together. This way card maker will tempt ppl to get 2 cards. I am not dissing SLI but I don't see why pci should be forced to take over so fast. Most ppl make a mistake in this forum they ask whats faster, is not alwas speed is quality.

beowulf7 said:
Are you sure that the X800 XL is a better performer than the 6800 GT? And I'm all but certain that the X800 Pro would be slower than the 6800 GT. Also, in general, the 6800 GT seems to cost $50 more than the X800 XL, so given your list, who'd want to buy a slower and more expensive card? Finally, you might want to update your list to place the new 7800 card in there.

The x800xl probably is a better performer than a stock 6800gt. Although in many cases people such as myself tend to overclock the gt to ultra speeds. It seems that it is a very overclockable card. It is quite easy to get to ultra speeds with the right cooling. :cool: In addition, I have no doubt in my mind that the 7800gtx is the leader on that list for single gpus and the 7800gt is right below it. As for the sli for each card the gtx claims the top of the list overall.

GFreeman9 said:
The x800xl probably is a better performer than a stock 6800gt. Although in many cases people such as myself tend to overclock the gt to ultra speeds. It seems that it is a very overclockable card. It is quite easy to get to ultra speeds with the right cooling. :cool: In addition, I have no doubt in my mind that the 7800gtx is the leader on that list for single gpus and the 7800gt is right below it. As for the sli for each card the gtx claims the top of the list overall.
This reminds me, I should overclock my 6800GT video card. I have nTune that I might try to play around with.

Good FAQ. I haven't read all the way through yet, but if there is any information I can provide to you guys I will do my best.

Back