Viewsonic VP191 (Rev: MVA 8 ms)

I think you should RMA it, seems like it's defective. I got my VP191b yesterday and I didn't noticed any backlight "flickering".

What is your brightness setting set to?

The flickering might be because of you frequency of the CCFL lamps is too low.

Woot! My Vp191b just came in as of (15 mins) ago.

all setup, drivers installed, and looking good!.

Ran the dead pixel buddy.

As far as I can tell I have a grand total of.

1 dead pixel (or perhaps stuck, looks red)

There was 2 other what I though were dead pixels, but I gave them a soft rub and they went away (so they were stuck) while the dead one won't go away when I rub it.

It's not in the center of the screen, but off to the right a bit, about half way to the edge.

To be honest, before i ran the Dead pixel buddy, I couldn't even notice it, now I see it all the time, but Im sure I will soon get used to it and I won't even notice it anymore (much like the apeture grill lines in my old crt)

God damn this thing is huge compared to my old 17" crt screen :D

as for blacklight bleeding, I can notice it in all 4 corners, but its not that bad to me.

Now the task of calibrating the colour and brightness.

any suggestions?

M/F date is 04/18/2005 if any one is wondering.

To calibrate the colors I used the OSD to change from 6500K to User-100% on all, then ran Adobe Gamma Control.

Imaro:
What is your brightness setting set to?

The flickering might be because of you frequency of the CCFL lamps is too low.

My brightness is set to 0% most of the time, except for 50% for games and movies. The flickering looks like under/overvoltage to the backlight ocassionally. It is less noticable at higher brightness levels, but I like the brightness low.

This isn't the standard panel flickering. I can sometimes temporarily get rid of the problem by power cycling it or tapping the monitor edge. If the problem persists I'll call Viewsonic and ask them to replace the backlight.

lmaro said:
My brightness is set to 0% most of the time, except for 50% for games and movies. The flickering looks like under/overvoltage to the backlight ocassionally. It is less noticable at higher brightness levels, but I like the brightness low.

This isn't the standard panel flickering. I can sometimes temporarily get rid of the problem by power cycling it or tapping the monitor edge. If the problem persists I'll call Viewsonic and ask them to replace the backlight.

ugh 0%? I tried that and its DAMN dark.

It certainly isn't dark on a desktop. I don't see the point of extra brightness when the picture still has high contrast and is clear.

lmaro: The reason to why I asked you is this;

Then most common way of lowering the brightness is by doing it on the CCF-Lamps. When you do this two methods can be used, pulse-width modulation is the most common.

In practice this means that you see force the lamps to run at a lower frequency by lowering the brightness. If it is 0 % then it is the lowest frequency possible.
Of course this is smoothened out by the phosphor of the lamps but what you see is a low (not low compared to for example a TV) frequency signal.

Although you tell that it only happens sometimes. Does it only happen when brightness is at zero %?
What worries me is that you can make it go away by touching the monitor edge. Therefore it could be the power supply.

It could be an external power "consumer". If you have, let’s say a microwave oven on the same fuse this could be the reason.

So try to see if the flickering is caused by one of the above-mentioned problems.

Does a DVI cable come with this monitor or do I have to pick one up separately?

-Croyd

Where can we buy the new version of this monitor from? Chiefvalue is sold out and techonweb seems to have the old specs in the pdf which worries me even though the product is listed at vp191b (8ms gry). Are there any other places that are for sure selling the new model? Has anyone bought from techonweb and recieved the 8ms version with the sticker? Thanks

Yah it says 8ms but the contrast ratio says 600:1 and for the new one its 800:1... most likely they just havent updated it but I am still skeptical... any other places?

danyal711 said:
Yah it says 8ms but the contrast ratio says 600:1 and for the new one its 800:1... most likely they just havent updated it but I am still skeptical... any other places?
I am about to order one from zipzoomfly because newegg is sold out. I think they just forgot to change the contrast ratio.

Arkanian said:
I am about to order one from zipzoomfly because newegg is sold out. I think they just forgot to change the contrast ratio.

Let me know how it goes I am also in the same boat. I would rather order from newegg but I need the monitor right now. I've never ordered anything from zipzoomfly, what is their dead pixel policy on lcd's? I'm also a bit woried about the specs they have listed.

ASmith said:
Let me know how it goes I am also in the same boat. I would rather order from newegg but I need the monitor right now. I've never ordered anything from zipzoomfly, what is their dead pixel policy on lcd's? I'm also a bit woried about the specs they have listed.
I have ordered stuff from zipzoomfly and they are as good as newegg. Dont know about their return policy on dead pixels. I might call them to verify the specs before I order to make sure that it is the right LCD. I am think that they forgot to change the specs. Blame this on viewsonic for naming a new LCD with the same model name as an LCD that came out like 2 years ago. go figure.

EDIT: looks as though the ETA at newegg is 6/27. I decided to look at the Samsung 193P+ but newegg and zipzoomfly dont have it plus it is 600 ouch. Now you have me wondering if the zipzoomfly LCD specs are right. I am going to send them an e-mail right now about this.

Arkanian said:
I have ordered stuff from zipzoomfly and they are as good as newegg. Dont know about their return policy on dead pixels. I might call them to verify the specs before I order to make sure that it is the right LCD. I am think that they forgot to change the specs. Blame this on viewsonic for naming a new LCD with the same model name as an LCD that came out like 2 years ago. go figure.

EDIT: looks as though the ETA at newegg is 6/27. I decided to look at the Samsung 193P+ but newegg and zipzoomfly dont have it plus it is 600 ouch. Now you have me wondering if the zipzoomfly LCD specs are right. I am going to send them an e-mail right now about this.

Yeah I believe you're right, I think Viewsonic should have given it a new name. Do you know what Viewsonic's dead pixel policy is (if I RMA'd it directly through them instead of zipzoomfly)?

This is the e-mail that I sent zipzoomfly

Zipzoomfly:

On your website you state that the contrast ratio for the Viewsonic VP191B is 600:1. You also state that the response time is 8ms. Now me and some other guys at hardforum.com are confused by this because viewsonic made a new LCD that is named VP191B with 8ms and 800:1. This replaces their old VP191B which had 16ms and 600:1. Now are you selling the new LCD or the old one. Me and another guy on hardforum.com are about to order this LCD and we want to be 100 percent positive that we are purchasing the new VP191B and not the old one. Thank you for taking the time to help us out on this matter.

Pixel Policy:
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/qa.cfm?topic=lcd&question=01
ViewSonic sets limits on 17" - 19" LCD's at 7 bright sub-pixels, 7 dark sub-pixels, or a combination of 7.

Zipzoomfly:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Service/Return.jsp
CPU | Hard Drive | Memory | Monitor

* Arrangement for a return must be made within 15 days from the date the item is shipped.
* 15% restocking fee applies to all refunds.
o Per State of California regulations, any taxes refunded in this case will be calculated based on the final refund amount minus the 15% restocking fee, not the original purchase price. Please refer to http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/reg1655.pdf for further information.
* Products that are defective, and/or DOA (Damaged On Arrival), can be returned for repair / replacement.
* All returns must also follow the return procedures mentioned above.
* Overclocking or improper installation of CPU fans will cause CPUs to chip or burn. All chipped and burnt CPUs are considered physically damaged and are not eligible for replacement or refund.

______
I should have somthing from zipzoomfly by tomorrow.

Arkanian said:
This is the e-mail that I sent zipzoomfly

Zipzoomfly:

On your website you state that the contrast ratio for the Viewsonic VP191B is 600:1. You also state that the response time is 8ms. Now me and some other guys at hardforum.com are confused by this because viewsonic made a new LCD that is named VP191B with 8ms and 800:1. This replaces their old VP191B which had 16ms and 600:1. Now are you selling the new LCD or the old one. Me and another guy on hardforum.com are about to order this LCD and we want to be 100 percent positive that we are purchasing the new VP191B and not the old one. Thank you for taking the time to help us out on this matter.

Pixel Policy:
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/qa.cfm?topic=lcd&question=01
ViewSonic sets limits on 17" - 19" LCD's at 7 bright sub-pixels, 7 dark sub-pixels, or a combination of 7.

Zipzoomfly:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Service/Return.jsp
CPU | Hard Drive | Memory | Monitor

* Arrangement for a return must be made within 15 days from the date the item is shipped.
* 15% restocking fee applies to all refunds.
o Per State of California regulations, any taxes refunded in this case will be calculated based on the final refund amount minus the 15% restocking fee, not the original purchase price. Please refer to http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/reg1655.pdf for further information.
* Products that are defective, and/or DOA (Damaged On Arrival), can be returned for repair / replacement.
* All returns must also follow the return procedures mentioned above.
* Overclocking or improper installation of CPU fans will cause CPUs to chip or burn. All chipped and burnt CPUs are considered physically damaged and are not eligible for replacement or refund.

______
I should have somthing from zipzoomfly by tomorrow.

Thanks, I guess we will see tomorrow then; I have the feeling that the contrast ratio is just a typo but I certainly want to make sure. It would really suck to end up with the older display.

E-mail Zipzoomfly sent me:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for contacting ZipZoomFly!

I have asked the buyer about this item, our ZipZoomFly part number 231744. I
have been informed that we carry the latest version.

Should you have any further questions, please call 510 739 1890 x2200.

Regards,

ZipZoomFly

Arkanian said:
E-mail Zipzoomfly sent me:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for contacting ZipZoomFly!

I have asked the buyer about this item, our ZipZoomFly part number 231744. I
have been informed that we carry the latest version.

Should you have any further questions, please call 510 739 1890 x2200.

Regards,

ZipZoomFly

Thanks for the info, I guess I will be off to zipzoomfly in a few days :)

This is just a heads up about ZipZoomFly. I ordered the VP191b on Friday, June 10 and the item showed in stock. My credit card was charged $425 on June 10.

I checked the order status and it still shows the item as packed but NOT shipped as of this morning, Tuesday June 14. The web site shows this item in stock as of this morning.

So i called customer service and was told the item is out of stock. I am not too happy about them charging my credit card and not shipping and not notifying me about the out of stock.

I had to request an order cancellation and reversal of the credit card charges, which will take 2 to 3 days. Buyer Beware.

I ordered this on Thurs (6-9) from ZZF. They charged my CC the same day. I called today, they told me it is going to ship today. I'm not too happy that it still haven't shipped. We'll see what happens.....

FYI - Newegg and Chiefvalue now has it in stock for a bit more.

Hmn, this really concerns me; I have never ordered anything from zipzoomfly. I think I will just pay a bit more at newegg. The main reason I was going to get it from zipzoomfly wasn't because it was cheaper there, it was because newegg didn't have it in stock. But I guess I will just wait.

The problem is not so much that the web site shows the vp191b in stock, when it is not, but that ZipZF takes an order for it and charges your credit card immediately when they know it can't be shipped immediately.

And they never inform you what they did, because it is unethical. A credit card should not be charged untill the item has actually shipped.

OK, I just received a email from ZZF that the monitor is B/O. Great :(

They gave me a ETA of 6-14 (today).

I got a email from ZZF that they shipped yesterday, I confirmed with Fedex. So, I guess they do have it now :)

Worth the hassle to save $25? Maybe not......

I think I got my backlight flicker problem figured out. It's a common problem with CCFL lamps running at low voltage, and I don't think ViewSonic tested it much at 0% brightness. 5-10% brightness, and the flicker goes away. I'll update this post if anything changes.

lmaro said:
I think I got my backlight flicker problem figured out. It's a common problem with CCFL lamps running at low voltage, and I don't think ViewSonic tested it much at 0% brightness. 5-10% brightness, and the flicker goes away. I'll update this post if anything changes.

I will keep this in mind for when I get my monitor, however I like the brightness set high on all the monitors I use.

Just got my vp191b from zipzoomfly. Ordered it on Sunday, $425 with free 2nd day air, not too shabby. The monitor is fantastic, mind you I had been using an older 17inch Samsung 770 TFT, which, while a fine monitor in its day and age, offers no competition for this viewsonic beauty...

I prefer this to the large Mitsubishi CRT displays I use at work. Contrary to popular belief, CRT monitors are NOT the best at everything. CRT's pretty much dominate when it comes to ghosting, but, beyond that LCD's are very close, and offer some advantages, particularly in the arena of eyestrain, that CRT's cannot match. Something about LCD's just puts my eyes at ease.

I was surprised however that ghosting is visible on the vp191b, though minor. Of course I hoped it would not be visible but alas it is there. But, it is the case where its only really there when I look for it, otherwise, I don't seem to notice.

All in all, the vp191b is about as good as I had realistically hoped for... The viewing angle kind of blows my mind... You can pretty much read the screen until the point that perspective, not the monitor's brightness level makes the screen unreadable.

The brightness got turned down right off the bat, this monitor is very bright, and the blacks are wonderfully deep.

I'm not an expert on monitors, but, it's the best monitor I've ever personaly used if that means anything.

zipzoomfly is great in my experience... Not to excuse their out of stock practices, but, pretty much all the online retailers pull that shit. Truth is, zipzoomfly is one of the better ones.

Have you tried running games at a non-native resolution, how was the interpolination?

I just got my LCD from ZZF today.

The monitor is amazing! Very clear and bright. Played alittle bit of WoW and watched a bit of Return of the Jedi, looks great!

Yeah...
1024x768 looks fine. 800x600 is looking a little blurred. Personally, I don't see much reason to get this monitor then use it at 800x600.

just got it~ geez guys this is one amazing lcd got it from my local retailer for approx 550 euros with an extended 3-yr warranty and a special RRR [Repair/Replace/Return] Policy worth the price no shipping extra fees and immediate substitution of monitor in case of any complications + the owner is a friend of mine so ... discount~

I'll just post my mini subjective review hope it helps:

-Design-

ye ok design, it lacks a bit I mean its nice and stylish and the product finish is really good, but you see at this point in time when almost all companies apart from the panel, work their way up via design, I mean sophisticated, artistic modern contemporary design which as I think almost all of you agree with me that the more stylish the better, after all it is a monitor, the most thing you'll look up at and it would be nicer if you felt even more confident

its a shame that with such a panel, extremely good panel view sonic did not implement a new design and even if not, at least they should have changed product name aye ... just imagine this panel with a design concept similar to the LG 1980U/P ... :~( *dream*

But anyway apart from my *only* regret, the finish as I already said is awesome, the material used is that of the type that gives you confidence and what about its pivot mode and ergonomics? indeed a good job even just the feeling of setting the height the way the monitor glides smoothly up and down~ nice touch

I have to admit also that from the product pics I found from reviews and on viewsonic's official page regarding the model, I wasn't quite impressed, the V-shaped base looks nice, but the stand, and the strange curvature on the back of the monitor ... well you know its just I like modern concepts ... *but* when I got it out of the box it was just a *really* different concept!!! In fact I am going to post some pics from different point of view later on so as people take a correct idea of the design

-Panel-

well well well I just upgraded from a 19" Philips monitor been using it for the past 2yrs and I mean after all it is a Philips model, you know what I mean amazing quality / and at my workplace I use [right now in fact] an amazing 21" Flat Crt model HP1120, well what should I say this is really a high end product and in fact I was worried that I would be sort of spoiled because when I first worked on the HP I really noticed the difference from my home computer so I thought I was going to miss that kind of feeling ..
But guess what? I was even more impressed! Talking about screen size, this tft was even vertically larger than the 21" model [horizontally it was quite equal] which boosted up viewing capabilities and you feel sort of absorbed in the monitor

-image quality- is rather amazing, via D-Sub connectors the image is one of the best I have ever seen, colours are really enhanced-like, text sharpness was even quite good! Overall quality A+, through DVI connection then, it was even much better, everything was sharper, text was amazing clear and cut superb detail

-colors- are really good on this monitor, once I used to work part time with a photographer and he used a special edition monitor pre-built just for him [yes I know $$$] with a special applied filter, and let me say that it was breathtaking ... comparing the view sonic to that model now after 8months ... I am quite confident to say that ok it is not exactly the same, but quite close! Realistic color interpretation, everything seems alive sort of and adds to the *immersive effect* I previously mentioned

-contrast/brightness- hell this is one of a bright lcd aye and it does feel nice, used to turn brightness to 60% on the Philips because of I’ve got really sensitive eyes, and using a different kind of monitor on the same applications I use at home and viewing my 8000+ photo directory ... and not straining my eyes ... and seeing all that detail I previously missed, ye well you know quite a big smiled showed up on my face, indeed a very good monitor at factory settings, and even more when you arrange the contrast/brightness ratio according to your tastes

-pixel interpolation- ye I previously used the Philips model on a 1024x768-32 res. and when I attached the vp191b a message came up lol I thought I did something wrong lol but when I read it I was quite relieved, and there I looked around to see what was all this concern regarding pixel interpolation etc since in fact I didn't see any blurry images or anything of the like in fact it is quite a decent quality using this monitor with that kind of resolution, *but* when I switched to the panels native resolution well lol there I saw all the difference everything was quite sharper and nicer , windows edges are the best example at least for me to judge the difference apart from text etc but anyway if you need to use a 1024x768 res on this monitor apart from a little ~fade~effect on edges it is quite good! At its native resolution again big kudos!

-response time- well as this was the greatest concern for most users to finally purchase this model regardless of this design, and since it is one of the most discussed features of this monitor all I’ve got to do is replicate everything ... this monitor IS fast I played any sort of games fps and nothing, neither a hint of a trail or ghosting whatsoever and to make sure I used a program my friend invented, its a sort of 'flag' test and we tested it on quite a few monitors and it works since even on the Hyundai L90+ we noticed a small trail, which didn't show up though on the respective Samsung model ... view sonic passed also no trails even when the 'flags' were set to max. Speed [which crushed the prog lol unfortunately it need improvement]

-viewing angles- a thing that I was quite disappointed was with the viewing angles ye ok lol they were fine with a sharp image even when looking from an extreme angle and in fact it was my fault that I was disappointed, I used to work on tft's and laptops etc and I new their concern regarding viewing angles and after all these reviews and fuss about 170degrees viewing angles I thought that they made quite an impressive improvement, they did, but I expected more, quite decent overall but don't expect much I warn you

-DVD/video playback- nice, but I can't judge so incase you disagree with me just ignore this paragraph, reason: I only watched 2 DVD’s yet so I can't set up quite an average conclusion but it feels good, quality is really fine and while watching the DVD again that *immersive* effect, twinkling I noticed some both it was really negligible and only when the scene got completely black [Constantine the scene where all lights go out and they remain in pitch darkness and then...] but really that is not quite a factor that one should consider, but I hope to update this part later on

-gaming- not much to say since what most regards gaming experience I already mentioned in the previous paragraph, but during game play, with the instant response, color enhancement, detail, contrast brightness stability and with the aforementioned *immersive effect*, that makes one of an experience that makes you want to play more and more even if you aren't a hardcore gamer, but just to take the juice out of this lcd, you will do it lol

-others- not much to say here apart from just a few comments, first I found no dead pixels and from what I read so far, seems like view sonic are pretty stable aye
the only concern I’ve got is *I don't know what to call it* but when I just output a black bkground on the monitor i.e.: nothing else just total black, on the lower corners there is a sort of light glowing indeed it is also negligible even with all the lights in my rooms turned off but there it is, and in fact I noticed it by mistake while rearranging the centre speaker, in windows mode even with a black bkground just an icon completely removes any visible traces of this issue and in no other application I used I noticed it, even if I tried hard, but since I saw it I had to mention it
another thing was the cable management 'system' even if I don't feel comfortable enough to call it a 'system' lol its quite basic and fells like the clips if handle incorrectly just for a second my mistake, may tear apart or anything of the like and even the placement isn't quite apt, and even the connectors placement could have been improved, I would have much liked it the connectors were on the side rather than the bottom, makes installation easier and hassle free [its quite nasty to fix a strong cable in that position when making attention not to strain the lcd] and a fixed-in-body cable management, but anyway you don't change and fix wires everyday so really it isn't that important

-Conclusion- just one word: Superb - this is a really amazing monitor and apart from that it isn't that type that to excel in one area lacks in another. Ok it isn't quite perfect in al areas but it is really close! Indeed a multipurpose model to consider. I recommend it to everyone interested in buying a new LCD, but if gaming is not your concern then I would suggest going for a cheaper model with a lower response time, and most probably a better design. The others - it’s a must!

|Leviathan| said:
the only concern I’ve got is *I don't know what to call it* but when I just output a black bkground on the monitor i.e.: nothing else just total black, on the lower corners there is a sort of light glowing
It's called backlight bleeding. Doesn't seem bad in your case, but in some cases it can be bad enough to warrant a replacement.

"193P Plus" panel is being used by Fujitsu-Siemens P19-2. Read the review from BeHardware:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/572/page4.html

In my humble opinion, I stand by BeHardware's opinions and information accuracy. Because their review about the VP191b I read many times before I decided to take a chance instead of waiting for 193P Plus, everything they said was on point. And the same goes with the other reviewers about the VP191b. My gamble on the VP191b is a WIN with flying colors.

When BeHardware was never any fan until they found AUO's 8ms panel, it's now there favorite until something topples it.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.williamchang.org
http://www.creativecrew.org

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust Behardware so blindly. They do seem like AUO "fans" and for some reason they think IPS panels are the worst for games response time wise which is obviously not true. Let's wat for some real reviews on Tomshardware of xbitlabs before making conclusions. Plenty of people have reviewed the aforementioned Fujitsu-Siemens and all of them reported the display was very fast.

Bumping this thread because people are forgetting about this nice monitor. Newegg has it back in stock, but it costs a bit more now. I have two more comments:
75hz looks a lot better than 60hz to me, with the same amount of ghosting and much less of the dither/moire/sparkle effect.

No problems with any flicker now with brightness right above 20%, the minimum before my defective-or-not CCFL lamps start flickering.

Back