Viewsonic VP201B 20.1" 16ms LCD "Mini-Review"

glen8 said:
ITS GOING BACK

3 green lit pixels (2 at the bottom and 1 in the middle) and an awful picture.

Let me tell you that the SDE is VERY noticable. I have both screens right next to each other. The picture on my old hitachi 17" TFT is MILES better than the viewsonic.

The viewsonic is grainy and the colours are all washed out.

I tried Need for speed underground 2 on it, and that doesnt seem right. The hitachi is a 16ms screen also which plays this game perfectly.

It's going back under the distance selling act and I shall be ordering the Samsung. I know thats a 25ms screen but I since the viewsonic isnt great for games either I might aswell get one which is bigger and better quality.

See..Should've gotten Smasung 213T,

I note in a previous post Justinkoko, that you play games on this monitor and from your comment the inference is that the Samsung, with a 25ms response time, out performs the VP201b which has a 16ms response time.

I draw your attention the following link, again at GamePc.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=samsung213t&page=5

Nice screenshot, and the following, and I quote:

"We noticed that in comparison to other 25ms pixel refresh rate screens at 15" and 17", the ghosting on the Samsung 213T appeared to be much more prevalent. Perhaps being on such a large screen just amplifies whatever ghosting the monitor has. In my experience with LCD monitors (we've reviewed an awful lot here), I would say that the Samsung 213T has the visual look of a 35ms pixel refresh screen. Does this mean that gaming is absolutely out of the question for this screen? Not in the slightest!"

Maybe not out of the question, but I wouldn't want to play games on it.

Seems to me that if glen8 had an issue with SDE he'll surely have an issue with that level of ghosting. I mean, I can buy any game without fear of ghosting, whereas you must gamble every time you purchase a game as to whether it will ghost or not. Could get pretty expensive. Don't know of any games manufacturer with a returns policy if a game ghosts on an LCD.

What games do you play on it?

One final point, both reviews I mention in my posts were by GamePc, the Samsung in August 2003, the VP201b in April 2004 in which they claim "The Viewsonic VP201b is the best LCD monitor we've ever looked at here at the GamePC Labs."

glen8 may not like this monitor, but at present the VP201b is the best gaming LCD out there.

btf said:
After reading many reviews including this one I decided to order the VP201B from Dell Canada. Much cheaper than anywhere else, $1000.
You didn't sign up for the Dell.ca email that would have given you a 15% coupon?

Yes, I may have a faulty one. I was using it last night and started to see what I can only describe as thick horizontal shadow bars appearing on solid colours mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Might get another VP201b if you all say it's the best :)

I took some photos of it.....how do I upload. Is is the tags?

Thanks,
Glen.

at costco they are selling a monitor with the exact same specs as the vp201b but under the name vp2000..i cant find any record online of this monitor existing....your thoughts?

I have a feeling (maybe wrong) that the only difference is the 2000 only has a DVI input (no analogue) and a different stand

btf said:
After reading many reviews including this one I decided to order the VP201B from Dell Canada. Much cheaper than anywhere else, $1000.

But there only shipping option is express and it's $160!!! So I'm sticking with free ground shipping...

After reading so many positive comments I can't wait to try it out.

I'm still going to keep my 21" Dell P1110 and run dual monitor for q3 as I doubt this LCD will compare to 120hz@800x600 :D

I got my VP201s from Staples for $799cdn. Still took it back, however. You can get this monitor from them now (without the rebate) for $999.

SLee said:
You didn't sign up for the Dell.ca email that would have given you a 15% coupon?

Didn't know about that! I just sign up to www.dell.ca and then I get a 15% coupon?

"I got my VP201s from Staples for $799cdn. Still took it back, however. You can get this monitor from them now (without the rebate) for $999."

I didn't think to check staples hagbard. How did you manage getting 20% off?

I checked my order and they say estimated shipping date is Dec 16... So i might cancel the order.

btf said:
I didn't think to check staples hagbard. How did you manage getting 20% off?

I think there was a promotion at Staples a few weeks ago..they were selling the 201s for $799..that deal is now over though.

-Croyd

Croyd said:
I think there was a promotion at Staples a few weeks ago..they were selling the 201s for $799..that deal is now over though.

-Croyd

That's basically it. They had it for $999 on their website and still had the $200 instant rebate with it. I don't know if it was a mistake, but they keep it there for three days, and I jumped in. I'm really bummed it didn't work out...but I frankly got feed up after unit #4 (which didn't have the gray pinks but did have two dead pixals just viewing it in the store).

That's too bad I missed out on a $200 rebate :mad:

<--- I'm a compulsive buyer! So I got to live with it, hehe.

Checked the website and it's shipped. So much for the Dec 16th estimate...

No clue how long ground shipping from dell takes but I'll come back when it arrives and let everyone know how it performs in games. I'm really curious about quake 3.

btf said:
Didn't know about that! I just sign up to www.dell.ca and then I get a 15% coupon?
Yeah, there's a link for subscribing to "Dell Email Updates" that's featured prominently on most of their pages. Unfortunately, they've seem to drop the coupon back to 10% only. Maybe you could call up Dell and you should at least be able to drop the price down 10%, if not 15%.

Might be buying myself a VP201B this month, being xmas and all. But im really afraid about blur in fast FPS games like tribes:v and UT2k4 red orchestra. Some of you constantly say that there are very little or no blurring at all. But i believe that some ppl can see it more than others. I would be more secure if some hardcore gamer could tell how blurring is. For example, i wan't to be able to spot an enemy/friend by turning 90 degrees and back in a fraction of a second, if he/she is there that is. With alot of blurring that might be impossible and that would be a shame. It's something that you do if your'e a good experienced FPS gamer, also in games like CS, the faster the better. Can VP201 keep up? :confused:

So I just picked up my monitor from Purolator. But I'm stuck at work for a while... So I plugged it in anyway, couldn't wait.

Let me start by saying it's absolutely beautiful. Can't find 1 dead or lite pixel. Color is uniform throughout. And the brightness is amazing. This thing is so vivid. It's really pleasent to look at. The black is nice too.

I'm not gonna be playing around with the settings until I get home. I'm currently using the analog cable since my work pc's don't have DVI connectors. And it still looks amazing.

Can't wait to see what games look like. I don't regret spending $1000 Canadian on this at all. I've used laptop lcd's in the past and ghosting was ovious just scrolling web pages. So I'm looking forward to plug in my 6800 UE on this thing.

jienn said:
Might be buying myself a VP201B this month, being xmas and all. But im really afraid about blur in fast FPS games like tribes:v and UT2k4 red orchestra. Some of you constantly say that there are very little or no blurring at all. But i believe that some ppl can see it more than others. I would be more secure if some hardcore gamer could tell how blurring is. For example, i wan't to be able to spot an enemy/friend by turning 90 degrees and back in a fraction of a second, if he/she is there that is. With alot of blurring that might be impossible and that would be a shame. It's something that you do if your'e a good experienced FPS gamer, also in games like CS, the faster the better. Can VP201 keep up? :confused:

jienn, if I were you, I'd goto BestBuy or somewhere you can play with a few LCD's. Or if you have a friend with a 16ms LCD(VP201, 2001FP, etc..), then I'd take it for a test drive.

I play Call of Duty and COD United Offensive the most, and with those games I get zero ghosting or blurring. But with that said.. I'd still recommend you trying out a few LCD's before taking the plunge.

Hope that helps.

btf said:
So I just picked up my monitor from Purolator. But I'm stuck at work for a while... So I plugged it in anyway, couldn't wait.

Let me start by saying it's absolutely beautiful. Can't find 1 dead or lite pixel. Color is uniform throughout. And the brightness is amazing. This thing is so vivid. It's really pleasent to look at. The black is nice too....

I'm glad you like your new monitor. Enjoy.

Jitsu said:
Dammit, I cannot decide between this lcd and a dell 2005fpw!

Decisions, Decisions.. I know it sucks. I'm not going to say one way or the other, because this thread has done a good job of not turning into a versus thread, but good luck deciding.

hagbard said:
I'm really bummed it didn't work out....

hagbard, I'm sorry it didn't work out, and I hate you had all those problems. I've been there and done that with other hardware, and it isn't fun. Thanks for keeping us updated tho.

Yeah, I'm actually regretting taking it back...but that pink drove me crazy and then finding one without it but a bunch of dead pixels I tossed in the towel. Staples now has another $100 rebate going (not as good as the $200) and its likely newer stock...so I'm tempted but...

Hi hagbard,

I echo sandman78's sentiments, bad luck all round. I guess you are just really unlucky or I'm extremely lucky. As you'd have noticed from my previous posts I'm a huge fan of this LCD, got a beauty first time around. I can't imagine life without this screen now:) It is absolutetly fantastic, the pride and joy of my system and never ceases to amaze visitors when I showcase it, especially with CS-Source. I can understand your reluctance to have another go, but I can assure you that if you get a good one that you will not regret the purchase. By the way I have not even had to adjust any settings with this one. Defaults out of the box were spot on. Hope all goes well this time if you decide to try again. Best of luck.

I have a problem similar to hagbard's.. My greys aren't pink though, but brownish.. Every time I adjust the contrast, the colors on the screen change. I've gotten it to work reasonably well in Windows, but when watching movies it's very obvious..

Another thing - When the screen is displaying gradiants, other than when playing games, it feels like it's a 65k color screen instead of a 16.7m color screen. I might take a few pics and post them here later..

*EDIT* I started photoshop, and I get TONS of banding when playing with color gradients..

Zero dead pixels, no ghosting and an absolutely perfect backlights makes me wonder if it's worth the hassle to get it replaced (I live in Sweden, will probably have to send it in for service instead of getting it replaced...)

vlad_Swe, I don't know what could cause what you described. By the way you described how it displays gradients, it could possibly be the lcd itself. You might give Viewsonic a call and see what they say about it.

Merry Christmas Everyone[/k !

Unfortunately, the VP201s I received for Christmas appears to be dead. I had it running perfectly last night and this morning, and when I went to use it tonight after it had been in standby all day, the LED in front was dark, and I can no longer get any response from the monitor. I've tried different power cables, different outlets, to no avail. I was using the DVI connector with the rig in sig. I have no idea what caused this to happen.

Well after reading the review, I decided to compliment my SLI system with VP201b. We shall see how it is once it arrives tomorrow :)

sandman78 said:
vlad_Swe, I don't know what could cause what you described. By the way you described how it displays gradients, it could possibly be the lcd itself. You might give Viewsonic a call and see what they say about it.

Merry Christmas Everyone[/k !

I called them this Monday, and the tech support person RELUCTANTLY told me that they had 7 or 8 monitors waiting to be repaired / refurb:ed due to this problem. Getting a new screen tomorrow (DOA policy of VS is great). I'll get back to you all and tell you how it worked out.

Merry Christmas as well, and a Happy New Year!

I just received a vp201 from newegg. I've been using a dell 19" [18" viewable] crt for five or so years and have never used an lcd, so I don't have much to compare it to. Considering this, here is a list of pros and cons.

>> pros <<
> about 20" of screen
> displays 1600x1200 well
> screen rotation software works well.
> easily oriented/ajusted
> excelent color
> no dead pixels on mine
> works well at non-native resolutions
> no ghosting
> functional usb hub
> nice backlight

>> cons <<
> slightly too heavy to transport
> about $750 now, but still a bit pricy

Also, I've seen many comments about a screen-door effect. I can see it if I look for it, but it doesn't bother me and is invisable from about 40cm (16") away. For the purpose of editing images, I actually like the fact that the pixels are well-difined. My only concern is the monitor's life.

I'm about to order one very soon.
What worries me a little is that recently I read some review about it (or was it about the benq fp2091 ?)
It stated that the forward tilting ability is rather limited. (The monitor can look upwards, but not really downwards.)

This concerns me because my computer desk has a somewhat fruity design: the place for the monitor is slopy. So when you put a horizontal monitor down there, it will "look" a bit upwards!

Do you guys think i'll be able to get the VP201 to "nod" enough?

alas said:
What worries me a little is that recently I read some review about it (or was it about the benq fp2091 ?)
It stated that the forward tilting ability is rather limited. (The monitor can look upwards, but not really downwards.)

This concerns me because my computer desk has a somewhat fruity design: the place for the monitor is slopy. So when you put a horizontal monitor down there, it will "look" a bit upwards!

Unfortunately that is true, it doesn't lean foreward all. It rotates about 45* left and right, tilts back about 30*, and moves abut 4.5 to 5 inches verticaly.

alas said:

C'mon, this is a ridiculous argument. Get a new desk.

How about this:
I could own a silver one now.
But I'll have the black one some time next week... :eek:

Well, if I have to live with it, you know... :cool:

AcUaViVa said:
any vp201b owner can't help me?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=848217

thanks & happy 2005

I read the post at that thread and I believe he's trying to figure out the best way to "tweak" his monitor's colors, brightness, etc.. Any VP201 owners out there figured out the best way? If so, what software, utils, etc.. are you using? This would probably be helpful info. for everybody.

Ludic said:
Unfortunately, the VP201s I received for Christmas appears to be dead. I had it running perfectly last night and this morning, and when I went to use it tonight after it had been in standby all day, the LED in front was dark, and I can no longer get any response from the monitor. I've tried different power cables, different outlets, to no avail. I was using the DVI connector with the rig in sig. I have no idea what caused this to happen.

Well, the monitor is on its way back to them. It's going to take an entire WEEK to get there, and something like 5 business days for them to ship out another one.

UGH! I wish it didn't stop working so I could be using it NOW. =\

I just checked one out at Micro Center, it looks really nice... I played with it a bit and couldnt find any bad pixels, nor any bleeding like folks most commonly complain about. I'm not sure I understand the gradient problem... a pic would be good, but could someone at least describe it?

Hi All.

First post here.

I’ve been reading through this site over the past few days, and I’m pleasantly surprised at how helpful and knowledgeable the people on this forum are.
I just purchased the Viewsonic VP201s (they didn't have it in black!) Canadian user - bought it from a Staples. They wanted $1099 for the monitor, but an independent computer wholesaler was selling it for $860, so Staples matched their price. The packaging was alright - I don't know what everyone on this forum is raving about. The monitor itself was fairly easy to set-up "Dualview" configure alongside my 19" Viewsonic CRT. I suppose the USB cord that comes with the monitor that plugs into the computer is for the usage of the other USB ports on the LCD? (Yes, that may seem like a retarded question, and I could probably figure it out if I read the manual.)
I do notice a 'screen door' effect on the desktop. (Running on DVI output)
I use the Samsung 213T at work, and it doesn't appear to have this 'screen door' effect (And it's only running on VGA). I will take a closer look when I go back into work.
I played a little Half Life 2 on the Samsung at a Futureshop outlet as well, and I could see ghosting, but it really wasn't all that bad - however I didn't play enough of the game to get a true opinion on this. (Ran on VGA output) Is there anyone here that uses a Samsung, and a Viewsonic?
I don't appear to have any 'dead pixels' on my display - at least none that pop out. Is there any way to test to see if there are dead pixels?
I also installed the ViewSonic drivers, but no change in the screen door effect. What do the drivers really do - as they seemingly changed nothing as far as I can tell.
I'm only running on a GeForce4 Ti 4600 could that have anything to do with the screen door effect/quality of the display?
Are there any 'tweaks' that I can do to the monitor for better performance? Any tests that I can run to check the quality of the monitor? I have 30 days to return it if I so desire, and wish to know if it is the right buy for me. I'm a really picky person!

So far - side-by-side with my CRT it looks great. My CRT almost appears blurry in comparison - but no screen door on my CRT. Win some, lose some. The colors and certain elements of the image are definitely hands down better on the LCD.

So I guess at this point i'm not certain whether the Samsung 213T is a better buy or the Viewsonic VP201s is better.
The main purpose of the monitor is for poker, so i'll be using the desktop a lot playing 4 tables at 16x12 resolution.
I hope to use it for gaming at some point, but not sure how often that will be.

So I suppose you could say image is the first priority and response time is second in line. It would be nice to have them both, but I don't think there's a 20" out yet that can handle that.

And for all you users looking to buy 19" LCD's - I would hold off for another 2-3 months as I spoke to a sales rep at Viewsonic, and he stated that they are coming out with a newer model of their 19" line, as well as the competition. No word whether any better 20"s are due out soon.

What does everyone think about Sony's XBRITE technology? Worth it? I noticed a huge difference, but I think the glossy sheen would bug my eyes after a while. I need an LCD that I can use for 10+ hours a day.

There are some links below to a few other 20's - I believe the Dell was under discussion via this thread as well. Let me know what you think.

http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetai...level=3&totalItem=26&currentPage=1&perPage=10

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...cs&sku=320-1578&c=us&l=en&cs=19&page=external

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_20"
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=NB21BSAB

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=NB21BSAB

On another note - I was originally planning on buying two LCD monitors, however I only have 1 VGA and 1 DVI. I realize the Viewsonic comes with VGA too, but I think it would irk me too much to have one running on VGA. Does the image really look that much better on DVI? Some say it's negligible others say there's a definite difference so I really don't know. Opinions?
I guess I could always buy a video card with dual DVI. Are there any GOOD video cards with Dual DVI in them? Which one would you get?
Haha..... but I figure if i'm going to buy a new video card, I may as well buy a new computer.
Geez. This monitor investment is turning costly.
If anyone would feel so kind as to draw me up some specs for a new computer that would be great as well.
AMD vs INTEL, Video card, motherboard. Modded case with blue light. All that jazz.
Also a friend of mine is looking for a laptop that can do 16x12 resolution - what would you suggest? Another friend of mine bought a Dell that does 16x12. It looks pretty good, opinions comments?

Thank you for your time.

FennecTheFox, as for "screen door" effect... if you notice it.. you always will. Nothing you can do about it. The USB cord that came with it is for using the USB ports on the monitor. As for your other questions(laptop, which processor,etc.), you should create another post in the appropriate forum. This thread is for discussion about the Viewsonic VP201 monitors.

I have to say this was one of the hardest buying experiences in my life. I was looking at three screens. The Sony SDMHS94P 12MS lcd panel, the ViewSonic lcd VP201S 16MS, and the Nec MultiSync FP2141SB 22 inch CRT. MY Sony 20 CRT was just about dead. I was looking to get my desk back so that was a factor in my decision.

I could not find a store that had all the screens here in San Diego, CA. Circuit City did have the Sony and it did look nice in the store. I took home the Sony on Sunday afternoon and was WOW this is really cool. However, after using the Sony I found some issues I don't think I could live with.

1) No mater what setting, the monitor always seamed to bright for me in my home office where I play my games. In the store with tons of light it looked great.

2) The viewing angle is something that I could not get used too. The top part of the screen would not look as bright and any movement left or right would result in not a great picture. After researching I guess the Sony does not have the best of viewing angles.

3) Backlight bleeding was there and no setting was going to take it away.

4) The screen was a mirror, way worse then the 20" Sony that it replaced.

I struggled long and hard about my options. I could get used to the Sony or take it back and get the ViewSonic, or just stay with a CRT and buy the NEC. Tuesday night I was at CompUSA in La Mesa, CA. I was picking up some blank cd's on my way home, when I said for the hell of it lets see if they got any of the other screens. Sure enough, they did have the ViewSonic on display and available to be purchased.

Then I struggled with do I want to get it online cheaper, or buy it at CompUSA for $899.00 with $100.00 mail in rebate. Since the rebate dropped the price to $799.00 and I always feel better about buying such high dollar products in a store because I can walk it back in and make a stink about something if I have to. I decided the price difference was ok.

Now that the price issue was out of the way then I came to my biggest issue the difference in response time 12ms on the Sony VS 16ms on the ViewSonic. I think they were having fun at my expense in the store while going through all these issues. After about 45 minutes in the store walking back and forth past the ViewSonic I finally just decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. Let me say that after getting it setup on my desk and started to test applications I was not disappointed. ZERO and I mean ZERO dead pixels, ZERO bleeding, and color that was better then the Sony in my opinion. The viewing angles were to die for no matter how I moved in my desk I could see the entire screen light up with uniform color and brightness, I was in heaven.

Now the big question..... 12ms vs. 16ms in gaming.... Would I see the difference after using the Sony. Too be honest I see no difference at all, every game I have tried has looked just great. World of Warcraft is just spectacular on this screen, as well is Half Life 2.

The screen door effect is there but after using the monitor more and more I am sure that I would not even notice it. Really only see it on grey window screens and white back grounds. I am wondering what all your setups are for this screen? I just can't seam to get the white too not be sooo bright while keep the other colors nice too. What would you all recommend for getting past this issue? The monitor scales great in none native resolutions. I like 1600x1200 for desktop and 1280x1024 for gaming, it does both just fine.

All in all I have no regrets. This monitor for me is better then the Sony, now that's not to say the Sony is not a nice screen because there were things I liked about the Sony. However, in the end it just did not serve my purpose. My advise is if you are on the fence with this screen RUN don't walk to your nearest store and pick it up. You will not be disappointed!

Sorry for the long write up!

Igbe

Hmmm

If by ‘setups’ you mean the monitor settings themselves – mine are default with the Viewsonic drivers installed.
Kinda wondering if tweaking them would help with the screen door, but I think it's just the way the technology is.
Do you notice screen door on your Windows taskbar? I notice mine there, on certain images, wallpapers etc. I can see it on Winamp. If I pop up an MSN Messenger window I can see it on the display pictures.
Does anyone else notice it like this?

I think this is a great monitor, but that screen door shit really pisses me off. I’ve done a lot of looking around at other LCD’s in person, and I’ve never noticed screen door like this. I didn’t even know what ‘screen door’ was ‘till I came to this board, and after I saw all the images linked in one of the threads, I still didn’t get it. Well now I’d have to say I ‘get it’
I noticed it on the store display as well so I suppose I’ll notice it on every other Viewsonic I get.

I’m looking at the Samsung 213T at work right now and I don’t see any screen door at all, and it’s on VGA…
I was considering the 213T, but it’s $1100, and I got the Viewsonic for $860.
So I guess the questions is – does the screen door bother me that much to pay $240 more? Hmm, maybe.
But I really don’t want 25 ms. However I’ll mostly be working on the desktop browsing, chatting, and playing poker where I notice the screen door shit.

Soo…..

Screendoor vs Gaming
Hmm.

And another thing. Maybe it has something to do with my brightness – but the Viewsonic next to my CRT – and even looking at the Samsung right now – Whites seem white - the white on the Viewsonic almost seems to have a hint of beige to it – like a very very gentle tint on shades or on a car window.
Maybe that’s the brightness up to high, or should I be getting in there for some tweaking?

Can someone take a picture of their desktop?

I think that would help me out a lot.
Windows Classic Style and Windows XP.
I want to see how the SD effect is for others.
Preferably by someone who claims to not have it, and someone who does.

It has arrived.

The left end of the screen has a bit different tinge than the right. Some colors seem lighter, some darker. Is this common with a tft? Should I shut my mouth up?
I just... find myself constantly checking it...

2 dead pixels. I thought this could be the end of the world but actually it's barely noticable. And almost only with black screen.

I tried to play with the brightness. When you turn it down it starts to give a constant sound... Anyone noticed it?

Screendoor: It makes a difference when you set your video card to 16 bpp or 32 bpp.

The way the pivot works is extremely comfortable! No tricky switch to find, you just grab it and turn it. Perhaps if someone else could do it for me... :)

ok i finally have started to figure out how to use my 8MP camera so i figured i would take a few pix of the SD effect for you guys. just remember you are looking at an exaggerated photo, u can clearly see each pixel in these pictures but trying looking at your screen right now and concentrating on just 1 pixel, u gotta get pretty close. and i just want to state one more time, this SD effect doesnt bother me as much as glare on a sony screen, i absolutely love this monitor and dont reget this buy at all, u can barely tell the lcd has a SD effect, but because some of you are looking for it and cant get over the thought of it of course it's gonna be annoying, i dont even think about it anymore, oh yeah one more thing, i cant even tell AT ALL when playing games or looking at my wallpaper, the only time i can notice a little is on gray or bluish backgrounds, but only certain shades, its really hard to describe this though, all you people that are thinking about it that hard and STILL need to post questions about the SD in this VERY long thread, then move on and buy a different LCD, otherwise order it and see how you like it.

dsc007944zb.jpg

dsc007979dr.jpg

dsc007993iq.jpg

dsc007985fk.jpg

dsc008020tw.jpg

Back