Viewsonic VP201B 20.1" 16ms LCD "Mini-Review"

oddlycalm said:
Confusing issue for certain. BenQ is the manufacturer of the complete display for Dell. However, the actual LCD panel is the same LG Philips 20.1" LM201U04 S-IPS panel in both the 2001FP and VP201 as ehZn posted. BenQ is an assembler, not a panel mfg.

In practical terms what this means is that characteristics specific to the panel, like "screen door" effect are identical on both displays, while issues related to individual electronics like scaling may differ. The BenQ displays have a different DSP chip than the Viewsonic from what I've been told, which would explain why people that have tested both indicate that the Dell scales to lower resolution marginally better. This is much more noticable with text than with game screens.

In either case, these panels are great for gaming and general business use, but not up to graphics professional standards. Fast refresh (16ms) and highest quality still seem to be mutually exclusive features.

Look for the really big advances to come over the next couple years as LCD display makers transition from the cold cathode flourescent backlighting currenly used to LED arrays. The LED's are much brighter, whiter, result in more even lighting, and they have what is effectively an infinite service life. Should take care of the horizontal line issue as well as some of the light leakage issues as the assembly process will be much less subject to the kinds of variations we see now.

oc

I've been wondering for years why they were using the cold cathodes instead of LED's. LED's make so much more sense.

sandman78 said:
Could you PM me, or post it in here, the best way for me to see this? I am just curious what you are talking about.

One way to look for the horizontal lines is to open a Paint window. Expand to full screen. You can fill it any color you want in the resizeable white area. Or, you can drag it smaller, and just examine the darker gray background. The lighter horizontal lines are visible on that color, although I'm certainly being VERY nit-picky to find them.

Jeff

oddlycalm said:
Confusing issue for certain. BenQ is the manufacturer of the complete display for Dell. However, the actual...

Thanks for all the info!

As for future monitor technology, I can't even imagine what kind of monitors we will be using 20 years from now.:eek: Maybe if I email Micheal J. Fox, he can fire up the ol' Delorean and go see what's in store for us.:D

shaferja said:
One way to look for the horizontal lines is to open a Paint window. Expand to full screen. You can fill it any color you want in the resizeable white area. Or, you can drag it smaller, and just examine the darker gray background. The lighter horizontal lines are visible on that color, although I'm certainly being VERY nit-picky to find them.

Jeff

I tried that, and you are right. You do have to be VERY "nit-picky" to see them.:D

sandman78 said:
As for future monitor technology, I can't even imagine what kind of monitors we will be using 20 years from now.:eek:

The big paradigm shift isn't 20yrs out, it's 1.5-2yrs out when all the LCD panels have switched LED backlighting. There is no need for a time machine to know what the result will be because industrial displays have been shipping with this technology for the last 6 months. Wish I could wait, but my 11yr old 21" CRT is doing the slow death spiral.

oc

OC, you have any links for such an industrial display? I'd like to learn a little bit how it's done, and I can't wait for such displays to make it to market; I may hold onto this P95f+ a little bit longer.

IdiotInCharge said:
OC, you have any links for such an industrial display? I'd like to learn a little bit how it's done, and I can't wait for such displays to make it to market; I may hold onto this P95f+ a little bit longer.

Ditto :D

We are using small industrial LCD panels and having to buy our LED backlighting separately, which is a PIA. While the first applications are graphical cell phone displays, for obvious reasons, there are 1/4 panel LCD in the pipeline with LED backlighting built in according to our sources. We designed a new front bezel on our instruments that will allow us to change over when they come on stream.

As far as desktop monitors go, the first them will arrive in Q4 of this year. They will be more expensive initially, but as each company rolls out and updates it's models, there will be very few new CCFL backlit panels. In 18 months you will still be able to buy older model monitors with CCFL backlighting, but they will be on the way out.
Mitsubishi LED backlit LCD display

This site illustrated very clearly what the advantages are. Basically it's truer whites, even lighting and brighter more saturated colors. Down lower on the page is a list of PDF's covering the technical aspects.
Luxeon LED backlighting

I doubt my 11yr old 21" monitor is going to hang on long enough for me to wait, but it kills me to get a current LCD knowing what is coming in a few months. :( There are some nice displays out there now, but I suspect all of them will look primitive rather soon, which is not a good thing considering what they cost. I look for LED's to ulitmately bring panel costs way down ultimately due to simplfied assembly and less demanding bezel/housing design requirements. I'm almost embarrassed to mention that it was the incredibly bright and white LED tailights on my car that woke me up to the real potential this application... :eek:

oc

Thank you for the interesting information, funny how I could have just rattled off the advantages of the LED backlighting in my sleep. I figure the marketing departments will get a little more inventive when these hit mainstreem. Here's hoping for 24bit 8ms 18" panels with this stuff from Samsung in the near future! Would finally replace the token 19" Trinitron/Diamondtron for gaming.

Sandman,I've never seen a review of an LCD monitor that even approaches in quality, detail, this LCD Review of yours.
It blows away reviews written by professional website reviewers, that I've seen.
Someone who is senior here, should bring your fine work here to Kyle's attention and ask him to publicly thank you.
Seriously, someone senior here, who knows Kyle, should do this.
Anyway, thanks Sandman, from me and from all of us.
How about doing more? You obviously have a knack for writing reviews.

Thanks so much for the compliments!!! I really appreciate it. This was the first "review" I've ever done. I was kind of nervous when I clicked "SUBMIT" to actually add it to the [H]Forums because I knew I probably hadn't covered everything properly, but that's why I labeled it a "MINI" review. I'm glad it has helped you tho. It has seemed to have helped a few others too. I have a lot of time on my hands, and I enjoyed doing it. My trusty ol' camera is still strapped to the tripod, and I hope to do some more "mini" reviews in the not too distant future. Hopefully they will get better with practice.:D. Thanks again Rim!!!

Wish I would have bought that monitor instead of the Viewsonic VP191b that I got from newegg.com. Oh well, heh. Mineis 25 ms, and I do notice ghosting on it so that is why I would like to get the 201b that has 16 ms :D

Qwestman said:
Wish I would have bought that monitor instead of the Viewsonic VP191b that I got from newegg.com. Oh well, heh. Mineis 25 ms, and I do notice ghosting on it so that is why I would like to get the 201b that has 16 ms :D

If you notice ghosting at 25ms, no doubt you will notice a little ghosting at 16... hold what you got till 8 or below, is my advice :/

IdiotInCharge said:
If you notice ghosting at 25ms, no doubt you will notice a little ghosting at 16... hold what you got till 8 or below, is my advice :/

Ghosting, like the screendoor thing, seems to be more based on the person that the hardware. I don't notice ghosting on my 25ms 19" lcd, but some people would go nuts and tell me it looks like a big blur.

Guess that means I can wait a while to pick up a 23" 12ms panel...especially since there aren't any :(

I Just ordered the VP201B partially due to this review and the fact that there are no bad reviews out yet about it. I choose it over the Dell 2001FP and I hope I don't regret the decisions. I'm moving from a Sony SDM S91 19" LCD. It's got 600:1 contrast, 170 Degree viewable and 25ms response time. This will give me a good base for comparison and I'll make sure and post some pictures as well as well as impressions.

I'll also be moving to DVI (as the sony is VGA only) and have ordered the Asus flavor 6800GT 256MB. I'll let you all know how it runs on this setup with the regular cable and a Monster DVI cable I purchased to use with my HD TV but ended up not using. Should have everything by Wednesday and impressions up by Thursday morning.

-poops

Alright, I'll be following this thread.

This really interests me. I plan on getting the same setup !

Arnon said:
Alright, I'll be following this thread.

This really interests me. I plan on getting the same setup !

Hey Poopman, now you see why I wanted you to post in here? :D

Poops, any reason you went with the VP201B instead of the VP201S? That 16ms response time looks mighty sweet...

I spose the B is a lot cheaper? The S is on sale at zipzoomfly for $850.

ehZn said:
Poops, any reason you went with the VP201B instead of the VP201S? That 16ms response time looks mighty sweet...

Doesn't the B just mean the bezel is black and the S means it's silver? :confused:

Pixeleet said:
Doesn't the B just mean the bezel is black and the S means it's silver? :confused:

It's possible. I was under the impression they were different models, but I could have just gotten the big chart from ViewSonic's site a bit confuzzled. My bad if I did :)

ehZn said:

ehZn said:
It's possible. I was under the impression they were different models, but I could have just gotten the big chart from ViewSonic's site a bit confuzzled. My bad if I did :)

They ARE the same monitor. The B stands for black, and the S stands for silver.
VP201B Specs--> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp201b/#features
VP201S Specs--> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp201s/#features

Quote from 1st post:
sandman78 said:
***There are actually two different models of the VP201. They are the exact same monitor, except the VP201B has a black bezel and the VP201S has a silver bezel.***

ehZn you've been involved in this thread since the beginning and you didn't know the VP201B had a 16ms Response Time? :p:D

I have been using the same HP CRT monitor for about 5 years. If I were to buy something like this would it be worth the money?

sandman78 said:
ehZn you've been involved in this thread since the beginning and you didn't know the VP201B had a 16ms Response Time? :p:D

Hah, and I've done my own research on this monitor and others...I think my brain is melting from working at Ford...embarrassing :p

It's really amazing this monitor hasn't gotten more press. Screw Dell and their price undercutting. They are the Wal-Mart of computers, and although it may lower the prices slightly for us, their stuff still sucks!

I figured you were tired or something, cause I knew you knew that. :D It's even in the title of the thread. :D

sandman78 said:
I figured you were tired or something, cause I knew you knew that. :D It's even in the title of the thread. :D

Here's my situation: I am interning at Ford as an engineer for the summer and have exactly 2.5 days of work left before I'm done. Therefore, I have nothing to do except cruise [H] and read up on hardware and look for a reasonable deal on a GT. My brain really is melting!!!

If I could sell my current 19" for around 500, I would get this sweet monitor today!

ehZn said:
Hah, and I've done my own research on this monitor and others...I think my brain is melting from working at Ford...embarrassing :p

It's really amazing this monitor hasn't gotten more press. Screw Dell and their price undercutting. They are the Wal-Mart of computers, and although it may lower the prices slightly for us, their stuff still sucks!

I wanna get a Dell Axim, but I have to agree.. in general Dell products suck.

I think I might go through with this but I have two big questions that are bugging me.

1. I have a 9800 PRO 128mb. Will this give the LCD the glory it deserves?

2. How long can I expect to use this? I plan on using it as my main monitor for however long I can get out of it. Any idea how that long could be?

I hope someone can answer this questions soon. Cheers.

Nightrain said:
I think I might go through with this but I have two big questions that are bugging me.

1. I have a 9800 PRO 128mb. Will this give the LCD the glory it deserves?

2. How long can I expect to use this? I plan on using it as my main monitor for however long I can get out of it. Any idea how that long could be?

I hope someone can answer this questions soon. Cheers.

The 9800 Pro will be PLENTY video card for this monitor. As for how long you can expect to use the monitor, I would say at least 4 years. That's kind of a hard question because I don't know what you do with your machine, etc... This monitor will last you quite a while. There will always be new technology coming out, but that's always the case. You can drive yourself crazy trying to keep with technology. I hope that answers your questions. Good luck, and if you do get a VP201, be sure and post your experience in this thread. There are others looking into this monitor that would really be interested in your posts.

sandman78 said:
The 9800 Pro will be PLENTY video card for this monitor. As for how long you can expect to use the monitor, I would say at least 4 years. That's kind of a hard question because I don't know what you do with your machine, etc... This monitor will last you quite a while. There will always be new technology coming out, but that's always the case. You can drive yourself crazy trying to keep with technology. I hope that answers your questions. Good luck, and if you do get a VP201, be sure and post your experience in this thread. There are others looking into this monitor that would really be interested in your posts.

Thanks for all your help sandman. I appreciate it. If I do go through with it I will tell you I did and get my experiances up as soon as I get a feel for it.

Nightrain said:
Thanks for all your help sandman. I appreciate it. If I do go through with it I will tell you I did and get my experiances up as soon as I get a feel for it.

No problem. Thanks.

Oh! One other big question I forgot to ask. The LCD performs best at a certain res opposed to most CRTs and other monitors I have used. Now my question is that once my hard ware starts geting outdated, and I need to start going to lower resolutions like 1024x768> will the LCD perform as well at those times?

Nightrain said:
Oh! One other big question I forgot to ask. The LCD performs best at a certain res opposed to most CRTs and other monitors I have used. Now my question is that once my hard ware starts geting outdated, and I need to start going to lower resolutions like 1024x768> will the LCD perform as well at those times?

You are referring to "NON NATIVE RESOLUTIONS." The VP201 does very good at Non-Native. Look back at the first post in the "mini-review" and look at all the PICS taken at "Non Native" resolutions.

Dear god this thread took off after my post. I was waiting for days to see if anyone new would post in it or the one I created and barely heard a peep...

Of course I decide to buy it and THEN everyone is interested, hehe.

Anyways B is for black and S is for silver though according to newegg there is ANOTHER difference. They both weight is the same and the specs are the same in every other field cept for features:
B - Features: Ultra-slim 0.67" bezel; HDTV 720p ready; Pivot, height and wall-mount versatility
S - Features: USB2.0 Hub: 1 Up(B type), 4 Down(A type); HDTV 720p ready; ultra-slim 0.67" bezel

I decided on this monitor due to the fact that it has gotten only a little bit of press, but none of that I have found to be negative. It appears to be the equal of the Dell in all respects except that it is made by Viewsonic and I like the design a bit better. Dell also has some mixed press associated with their 2001FP, albeit mostly good. Viewsonic has always done me good and makes quality products where as Dell tends to cut corners where possible (as that's why they do so well). Of course that's just my opinion so take that however you would like.

I'll be receiving the monitor tomorrow, I ordered it from zipzoomfly.com though I would reccoemend you do the same. I ordered an Asus V9999 for 420 bucks thinking it was the 6800GT as it has the same clock speeds and price...though it is just the vanilla 6800 for the price of a 6800GT. Upon learning that I went to cancel that order as it hadn't shipped, but couldn't do it online. I contacted Customer service and they said they could do nothing because they had already put it in a box. They said they had about 100 boxes to ship and wouldnt' go through them to find my order and change it. So NOW I have to pay the 15% restocking fee and shipping to ship it back...thanks ZZF for costing me an extra 65 bucks :(

I'm just upset cause this is the 2nd time I've shopped with them and the 2nd time I've had problems. I am now worried that my monitor will show up DOA or something and then it'll be a huge hastle to return and replace... but anyways yah.

I just ordered a Gainward 6800GT from Mwave.com and it's on it's way. I'll have impressions on Thursday of how it looks/feels/works as I get the monitor Wednesday night and on Friday/Saturday I'll post impressions with the 6800GT and Doom3.

-poops

sandman78 said:
You are referring to "NON NATIVE RESOLUTIONS." The VP201 does very good at Non-Native. Look back at the first post in the "mini-review" and look at all the PICS taken at "Non Native" resolutions.

I'll let you know how it performs in non-native resolutions when I get it. My Radeon9800XT barely runs D3 in 1280x1024 so I'll have to keep that setting when I play and not run the monitor in it's native resolution of 1600x1200. Maybe it's for the best to test the non-native resolution performance anyways ;)

Poopman, they both have the USB Hub. They are the exact same monitor. Don't look at NewEggs info for Rockhard specs... goto www.viewsonic.com like I posted a few posts up. The color of the bezel is the only difference.

Poopman said:
Dear god this thread took off after my post. I was waiting for days to see if anyone new would post in it or the one I created and barely heard a peep...

:D Yeah that's the way this thread has been. It will be slow for a couple of days, then people will start posting to it again. And as long as people keep posting their experiences, it will go on for a while.(which is a good thing :D)

EDIT: Hey Poopman.. I see you're getting the monitor tomorrow! That's great. How did you have it shipped? I had mine shipped "next day air" when I ordered mine.:D

chr|stoph said:
i may have to hold out to Q4 now. considered one of these for quite a while

Been considering those VP201's for quite a while too, and Poopman's reaction might seal the deal!

I'm really wondering if I should get it black or Silver though. I'm not sure any shop has them displayed in my area, and I can't seem to find good pictures of either.. What color are you ordering, Poopman? Black I guess?

And, Sandman, I would really love it if you would just take a few pics in daylight of your VP201B showing the traditional XP desktop theme, just so I can see how the black look a bit more closely (and salivate while I,m at it ;)).

thanks!

Edit: Sandman, i just checked your pics again. Very nice, but it's either too dark or too close to really have a good idea of what the monitor really looks like! If you could take a few pics of it showing something bright on screen or simply turning off the monitor, that'd be great. If you have time and that's not too much to ask of course!

Poopman, I hope you'll provide us with some pics too ! (Ideally you'll have bought the S model so we can compare :p )

Back