Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

How does one go about calibrating the color to get it as accurate as possible without buying an actual spyder or calibrator?

Can someone explain to me the basics of color profiles and whatnot? I have downloaded the Microsoft powertoy applet for coloring, but it apparently just loads or manages the profiles... How do I know which profile to use, and such?

HALP!

joe1001 said:
Mate,nec all the way, you will not regret it, side by side with the viewsonic the nec would be your first choice i guarantee it.Have full confidence in your purchase.
Well for more than twice the cost of the Viewsonic I'd hope it looks better.

Bruce said:
Well for more than twice the cost of the Viewsonic I'd hope it looks better.
I live in the uk and when i purchased the viewsonic it cost me £330 after returning it i got the nec for £430, so at least for me it's not twice the price. I know the us version the nec20wmgx2 comes with extras that boosts the price up a bit, but shop around and you can find real good deals, if you can live without the extras like the tv tuner and speaker, look around for the nec20wgx2 it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

canadianpsycho said:
Can some folks help me out here? My monitor arrived yesterday, but the backlight bleeding is kinda annoying. I'm trying to figure out if I can get a better panel or not if I get a replacement...

Here's some pics, dark room with black background:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8771/img0074large2ge.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0075large8wl.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0075large8wl.jpg

Someone fixed their dell backlight bleeding by taking apart the LCD and putting a line of black electrical tape around the edge of the lcd and it fixed it - but i dont recall where that guide was.

joe1001 said:
I live in the uk and when i purchased the viewsonic it cost me £330 after returning it i got the nec for £430, so at least for me it's not twice the price. I know the us version the nec20wmgx2 comes with extras that boosts the price up a bit, but shop around and you can find real good deals, if you can live without the extras like the tv tuner and speaker, look around for the nec20wgx2 it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Ouch. £330 is ~ $624. You can get the Viewsonic here for $340 (£180). The NEC 20WMGX2 is $650 (£344).

I'm more than happy with my Viewsonic though. :)

blank said:
i don't think there are bad dvi batches, it's it's just something additional that may need to be done.

I think it is probably just people not turning the monitor to DVI :D :D :D

chr said:
march 06.

T520060409150543707.jpg

What mounts are those you bought and where?

Varmint said:
Did you do a direct comparison, connecting with first VGA then DVI?

I'm spoiled by the clear text on my Sony CRT, it's hard to pull the trigger on a wide LCD.

Yeah, I simply flipped the switch to change the input back and forth from analogue to dvi. On the dvi you can actually see the pixels, such as on diagonal lines like the letter 'v'. The letters are thinner in dvi. I think it causes some eyestrain in analogue.

I've decided I'm going to return the viewsonic. I may either buy the nec or wait for a new revision of the 2007.

Apart from banding issues, anyone got any opinion on the dell vs nec?

Okay, i bit the bullet, i bought one!!

now lets hope i have no dead pixels cause it is coming all the way to costa rica :D

djca said:
Hi I just got this monitor the other day. It looks great, and apparently there are no dead pixels. This is my first LCD monitor, and it would have been my first time to try out the DVI output of my video card.

My video card is a
Connect3D ATI Radeon X700 PRO 128MB on PCI Express.
My motherboard is an EPOX 9NPA with Athlon64 3000 processor.

1.) When the monitor is connected via VGA, it works fine. The resolution is set at 1680x1050.
2.) When the monitor is connected via DVI, it reports "No Signal".
3.) Even the POST screen on bootup is not displayed at bootup when the display is connected via DVI only. (Is this even normal? Are there cases when this happens but the DVI output displays when the OS starts to load?)
4.) When I connected the display's VGA input to the video card's DVI output through a DVI-D-Sub connector, it works fine. ---- (Does this mean that my video card's DVI output is OK, even if it was just used to output an analog signal?)

Now, I don't know which one between the display's DVI input or my video card's DVI output is faulty. But I've been reading a few posts complaining about the DVI input of this monitor.

I bought this display from Buy.com, and I might have to return it if it turns out that the DVI input is faulty.

Any help would be appreciated.

I got my VX2025 today and have the same issue with the DVI. I called their customer support to ask about the cable because I thought I had seen someone mention problems about it, and the fact that the DVI is outputting to DSUB with the adapter. And I have tried all the powering on and off options on both DVI's on my 7800GT.
The customer service girl was very eager to help, very short call time. She said that the issue was that they are shipping cables that are DVI-D and alot of cards are DVI-I (or visa-versa I can't remember). Does this make sense? - the cable they sent fit the port on both ends, I thought that the plugs were a different configuration. Anyhow she said she would put in an order to send me the correct cable, and I would get an email confirming, which I am still waiting for. I hope the DVI works and makes things better - because at this point I would not recommend this monitor for anyone that does a lot of photoshop work.

Got this from Newegg - one pixel stuck on red - way up in the left corner so not an issue for me.

abeflow said:
will this monitor work with a 9800 pro will there be a problem with dvi?

Mine works with an FX5500, but I can only use with a VGA. The DVI doesn't support up to 1680X1050.

RogerD said:
I got my VX2025 today and have the same issue with the DVI. I called their customer support to ask about the cable because I thought I had seen someone mention problems about it, and the fact that the DVI is outputting to DSUB with the adapter. And I have tried all the powering on and off options on both DVI's on my 7800GT.
The customer service girl was very eager to help, very short call time. She said that the issue was that they are shipping cables that are DVI-D and alot of cards are DVI-I (or visa-versa I can't remember). Does this make sense? - the cable they sent fit the port on both ends, I thought that the plugs were a different configuration. Anyhow she said she would put in an order to send me the correct cable, and I would get an email confirming, which I am still waiting for. I hope the DVI works and makes things better - because at this point I would not recommend this monitor for anyone that does a lot of photoshop work.

Got this from Newegg - one pixel stuck on red - way up in the left corner so not an issue for me.

I have a 7900GT which is DVI-I am I going to have problems, I am picking this monitor up tomorrow, anyone with a 7900GT with this monitor have any responses, there is no way I am using VGA

I just got this monitor, and all I can say is SWEET. I was using an old 17" crt not even flat screen so it was a huge jump in image quality. I am using it with an x800 128MB, and it runs perfectly at native res. I even ran city of villians at full resolution with no slowdowns in solo missions. I may have to turn down some options though to run in bigger groups, but I am excited it works at all. I had no issue with the dvi port like others have mentioned so it may be isolated to 7x00.

Has anyone found a surefire way to overcome that bug where attempting to use the display adapter scaling and such with the 7800GT or similar cards causes the sync out of range?

abeflow said:

I have the 9800 pro and i am loving the DVI connection. However, I have two of these monitors and the VGA connection makes the screen do some weird stuff. like the text looks like its rolling or something. Hard to explain.

abeflow said:

It works fine with mine on DVI. I run desktop native 1680 x 1050, UT2K4 at native, but have HL2 and BF2 running at lesser 16:10 resolutions. It is not enough vid card to run the newer games at that resolution, but for everything else it does the job fine. I'm looking to upgrade my card soon to something more current. But, in the AGP world, the choices are few right now. There is talk of a 7600GS AGP solution coming out in the summer that might be a little faster than the 6800GS (hard to find these anymore) but not as fast as the 7800GS.

@kevp,
I'd like to ask you regarding how you make black bars with nvidia control panel. Could you check the information (from the viewsonic OSD) about the resolution that is being used when you play using 4:3 resolution while maintaining aspect ratio? Yes i know you set something like 1024x768 (or other 4:3 resolution) on the game, but could you please check the viewsonic osd ?

also, could you please change the desktop resolution to 4:3 ratio like 1024x768 and see if the black bars still exist like in the game (it should be imo)?

thx

My DVI has totally stopped working :confused: :(

I was putting together a new computer and I moved the DVI cable from one computer to another.

Well the second computer shows nothing on the monitor - well, perhaps I messed up something on the new computer build - not the first time.

So I moved the cable back to the orignal working computer - again nothing on the monitor.
Hmmm, something strange here.

Well, I still can't get it to work.

I doubt simply moving the DVI cable from one computer to another would break the cable or the monitor.

I did remember meddling around with the source option on the monitor (from DVI to D-Sub) but I didn't remember actually changing it. Perhpas it's on the wrong source? Both my computers use DVI so may be the monitor has been switced to D-Sub mode ? If that's the case, how do I switch it back since I can't even bring up a menu on the monitor now. :(

Or may be it's just totally broken :(

I did recall that some people were having some issues getting DVI to work - there was some "trick" to get it working. May be that's my problem.

LordBritish said:
My DVI has totally stopped working :confused: :(

I was putting together a new computer and I moved the DVI cable from one computer to another.

Well the second computer shows nothing on the monitor - well, perhaps I messed up something on the new computer build - not the first time.

So I moved the cable back to the orignal working computer - again nothing on the monitor.
Hmmm, something strange here.

Well, I still can't get it to work.

I doubt simply moving the DVI cable from one computer to another would break the cable or the monitor.

I did remember meddling around with the source option on the monitor (from DVI to D-Sub) but I didn't remember actually changing it. Perhpas it's on the wrong source? Both my computers use DVI so may be the monitor has been switced to D-Sub mode ? If that's the case, how do I switch it back since I can't even bring up a menu on the monitor now. :(

Or may be it's just totally broken :(

I did recall that some people were having some issues getting DVI to work - there was some "trick" to get it working. May be that's my problem.

try this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1040780

I hope this doesn't come accross as patronising, but maybe try

PUSHING THE NUMBER 2 button to change to digital?

overdrive said:

it would come off less patronising if you didn't CAPITALIZE THE POINT YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE.

I saw another thread where there are some problems with nvidia cards setting the display to a permanent "power save" mode, whereby it won't sync at all even during BIOS posting. There's a utility to reset it--although, if it's not working from the beginning, i'm disinclined to think that's the issue unfortunately :/

overdrive said:

I tried that and I tried pushing number 1 and I tried pushing the 2 buttons in beween and I tried combinations of buttons - no go. It's not working :confused:

I'm trying to find this DVI recovery tool posted previously. The dude's website that hosts the tool is down :(

Can somebody post a link to the bootable CD version - thanks.

I'm beginning to think it's the DVI power save problem. I think plugging the DVI cable into the second computer hosed up my monitor.

I did plug an older CRT monitor that uses D-Sub into both my computers and both showed up proberly with no problems.

HELP !!

LordBritish said:
I tried that and I tried pushing number 1 and I tried pushing the 2 buttons in beween and I tried combinations of buttons - no go. It's not working :confused:

I'm trying to find this DVI recovery tool posted previously. The dude's website that hosts the tool is down :(

Can somebody post a link to the bootable CD version - thanks.

I'm beginning to think it's the DVI power save problem. I think plugging the DVI cable into the second computer hosed up my monitor.

I did plug an older CRT monitor that uses D-Sub into both my computers and both showed up proberly with no problems.

HELP !!

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra869611.html

this is the link referred to by the other thread (dvi issues thread)

m0unds said:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra869611.html

this is the link referred to by the other thread (dvi issues thread)

I found this: http://nick.dicknogs.net/DVI_Recover.zip

Is this the correct DVI recover tool or is it some malicious program that will wipe out my hard disk?

Can somebody take a look at that download and let me know if that is the DVI recover tool.

DOS Boot up programs make me nervous - it can wipe out your whole harddisk if somebody really wanted to do so.

LordBritish said:
I found this: http://nick.dicknogs.net/DVI_Recover.zip

Is this the correct DVI recover tool or is it some malicious program that will wipe out my hard disk?

Can somebody take a look at that download and let me know if that is the DVI recover tool.

DOS Boot up programs make me nervous - it can wipe out your whole harddisk if somebody really wanted to do so.

And who garantuees you that the person who says that it's the program is not a liar and it still is a program using fdisk on your hdd? ;)

ScYcS said:
And who garantuees you that the person who says that it's the program is not a liar and it still is a program using fdisk on your hdd? ;)

I dont know but I would feel more comfortable if somebody did say that the download was genuine and not malicious.

The zip file did contain a ISO file and a floppy executable - I presume to write to a floppy. I did burn the ISO file to a CD and it contained 6 files.

* autoexec.bat
* bootcat.bin
* bootimg.bin
* ddcw.exe
* port1.txt
* port2.txt

It seem legit to me but it may not be. Nortan Antivirus didn't raise any flags.

Contents of autoexec.bat are:
ddcw -m 0 -p
ddcw -m 1 -p

If this is legit, I assume I attach the DVI cable to my video card and bootup and it'll fix itself - right?

EDIT: I finally did download it from the official site http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

The DVI_Recover.zip file I obtained from the other URL is identical to the one downloaded at the official site so in other words, it is legit.

Glad i dont own an NVIDIA card.

for now my laptop. mobile 9700 has DVI port, hope it works on there untuk my desktop arrives.

Just made a purchase at newegg!!!!... Now i have to wait for shipping :mad:

Updated for thous who plan on buying this monitor... The price will decrease in about a week... Everytime i buy something, it always goes down within a week :D

Jon/xpm said:

Updated for thous who plan on buying this monitor... The price will decrease in about a week... Everytime i buy something, it always goes down within a week :D

ahaha lower the $344 - i wish! - i mean like considerably....

Jon/xpm said:

The NEC is dropping fast too - now $660 shipped from a reputable store (PC Nation). Newegg had it for like $675 shipped for a few hours before they sold out. :)

I dont know why, but I heard a few months ago that LCDs are going to be dropping a lot over this spring and summer. I wonder why though? Just letting you all know. That is why I am going to hold out for a little while.

good luck dude.

I just pulled the trigger on one of these monitors to replace a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF

LordBritish said:
I'll be trying out this DVI recovery tool this evening - say a prayer for me :(

Tried a new DVI-D cable - that didn't work. Recovery tool didn't work. Looks like its the friggin RMA process for me.

After working a week where when I would restart my computer it would forget about the resolution setting of the monitor, all of a sudden it can't get the DDC information from the monitor, nor has the ability to go to 1680x1050 (only 1600x1200). It's on a thinkpad T40. Does anyone have any idea why? I uninstalled and reinstalled all the latest drivers. I'm using the VGA connector (don't have DVI out).
Thanks.

w00t - The DVI Recover tool worked !!

My DVI is back in order !!!

I'm so happy !!!!

:p :D

Now who's to blame for this mess ?!!!

I aged 5 years in the last few days coz of this.

I noticed that by default, 1280x800 is not a selectable resolution when I go to display properties. Why is that? I tried installing the drivers as well and still the only widescreen resolution I could select was 1680x1050. I have an Nvidia Geforce 6800 OC, and in the nvidia drivers I am able to add a custom resolution and manually enter 1280x800, but it bothers me that it didn't show up on its own. Anybody have an explanation for this? Thanks for the help.

Back