Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Here you make it 1280 by 1024 by hacking the shortcuts target.You would add a few things after it. "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Is that the only way to get a game to run widescreen?

Could you guys point me to a thread or site that explains how the PC uses widescreen monitors.

gman said:
Is that the only way to get a game to run widescreen?

Could you guys point me to a thread or site that explains how the PC uses widescreen monitors.

Really not much to it. Either the game supports widescreen resolutions out of the box, or it doesn't. Some games are hackable using .ini's shortcuts ect..ect.. to FORCE the game to run in widescreen ratio but not all of them allow this. Many don't properaly display the aspect ratio correctly when forcing widescreen rez, hence you don't get the correct field of view though some games allow you tweak this as well, but not many

The PC itself couldn't care less what resolution its putting out.

this panel is pissing me off now.

DVI issue, works fine if i plug it inot my laptop DVI port and enable the desktop.

stick it on my x700 pro and nothing, - this just suddenly happened now when i put ina SCSI card..

before when i put it on my laptop and now back to the desktop it would work. but now nothing

has anyone contact viewsonic on this now really pissing me off irratating should not happen issue?

OK it's here. Set it up and so far :eek: wow.
No obvious problems on first look. Jumping from a 17" crt is a massive difference. Not had chance to try any games yet or do any fiddling with the settings but will do this evening.
First impressions though are very good.

Which colour setting is it best to use ? At the moment it's on the standard 6500k.
Also are there any programs that help you set up your screen, ala thx optimode you get in DVD's ?
Thanks.

Just had a spin on HL 2 in widescreen on max deatils, looked stunning. I didn't notice any ghosting.
Yes there is backlight bleed but the only way I noticed it is when I created an all black image in paint, you certainly cannot notice it when browsing or when I played HL2. It's weird because when you move your head so you are looking straight at the affected areas it seems to go away.

Just thought I should share this review with you guys.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-2/survey-eight-20-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html

I squares of the NEC, Viewsonic, Acer and others (all 20" LCDS).

Many quoted that the Acer is exactly the same as the Viewsonic, but they show that it is less favorable.

Just thought it would be interesting.

Also, I suggest you get the Viewsonic soon since buy.com and ZZF has just raised their prices on this monitor.
However, the egg has $5 instant rebate and it can be had for $340 shipped.

TomViolence said:
Just had a spin on HL 2 in widescreen on max deatils, looked stunning. I didn't notice any ghosting.
Yes there is backlight bleed but the only way I noticed it is when I created an all black image in paint, you certainly cannot notice it when browsing or when I played HL2. It's weird because when you move your head so you are looking straight at the affected areas it seems to go away.

Thas the thing, many people say it isnt "back light bleed" like dell, cause if you move your head left to right, it changes, the panel, it does not stay stationary

and to get a blakc background just go into your wallpaper setting and choose none and set the back colo as black :D

Alright I finally bit on this monitor. After doing a lot of research (about 1 month), I came to the conclusion that this monitor is the best next to the NEC (which I aint shelling out $600 for). Also, since e-tailers are slightly raising prices I figured $338 shipped is a pretty good price from the egg. Hope I will be happy with it. Should be a nice upgrade from my other computer which has a 17" Sony XBrite LCD...Wonder if I will like this screen or the glossy one better.

Just had a good session on HL2 and never noticed any ghosting. Did notice the "bleeding" once on a dark scene but like it has been said it seems to go when you change your angle of vision, it's more like a glare than anything.
At the moment I am very happy with mine.

Just got mine from Newegg today, I can tell you that it has way better color reproduction and a lot less backlight bleeding than my older Viewsonic VP912b LCD. Overall I am very impressed at $334 shipped to my door.

well its here! and its BIG! :eek: has 1 dead pixel, argh! but its 1/4" in from the right bezel, about 1/3 down the screen. hard to notice it. guess I am stuck with it though.

So far I like it, and I dont notice any issues with the monitor, other than its REALLY bright right now at default settings compared to my old LCD.

I'm picking this monitor up from frys tomorrow, I have a 7900GT, am I going to have problems with DVI or was that stuff fixed?

can someone measure the exact dimensions of the viewable screen (not the bezel)

i'm trying to compare the vertical height of my 19" Viewsonic A90F+ CRT

curveball692 said:
well its here! and its BIG! :eek: has 1 dead pixel, argh! but its 1/4" in from the right bezel, about 1/3 down the screen. hard to notice it. guess I am stuck with it though.

pun intended? :D

KompressorV12 said:
I'm picking this monitor up from frys tomorrow, I have a 7900GT, am I going to have problems with DVI or was that stuff fixed?

can someone measure the exact dimensions of the viewable screen (not the bezel)

i'm trying to compare the vertical height of my 19" Viewsonic A90F+ CRT

pun intended? :D

Of course ;)

As for DVI, I powered down my computer, unplugged power and dvi, hooked new monitor up, connected new dvi cable (just to be sure) and power cables to both monitor and pc. turned on monitor, then turned on PC. booted up fine, switched to 1680x1050 resolution without issue. Had no problems with that so far. Running a 7800GT, nvidia 84.21 drivers, using the bottom dvi port on my card.

After using the monitor last night my eyes felt a bit strained today. Think I am going to have to tweak the settings over the weekend, still very happy with the screen though.

TomViolence said:
After using the monitor last night my eyes felt a bit strained today. Think I am going to have to tweak the settings over the weekend, still very happy with the screen though.

Was the resolution too high for you to handle, or was it something else?

Tom, you might want to turn the brightness down from the default settings. I found that the brightness level between 25-40 was the best for desktop use and gaming.

Yeah default brightness on this is way too bright! I have to tinker with mine as well. No DVI issues still, but still stuck with that damn 1 dead pixel. Is it worth trying to massage out, or doesnt that really work?

I've just been messing around with the nvidia settings and changed the contrast a bit and will give that a go.
I have it on srgb mode so can't alter the monitors brightness in the menu.

I just got my vx2025 the other day. This is my first lcd and I really like everything about it except for one thing. I get pretty bad motion blurring in mostly all my games. Playing any game that requires fast mouse movement or bunnyhopping is really bad on my eyes especially bunnyhopping, my whole screen is pratically blurred the entire time =(. I'm currently using the dvi cord that came with the monitor. Would buying a dvi-d cord help any with the moion blurring? If not what else could help because after reading all the reviews on this monitor i'm kinda disappointed because I couldn't find anybody mentioning bad motion blurring.

Musty said:
I just got my vx2025 the other day. This is my first lcd and I really like everything about it except for one thing. I get pretty bad motion blurring in mostly all my games. Playing any game that requires fast mouse movement or bunnyhopping is really bad on my eyes especially bunnyhopping, my whole screen is pratically blurred the entire time =(. I'm currently using the dvi cord that came with the monitor. Would buying a dvi-d cord help any with the moion blurring? If not what else could help because after reading all the reviews on this monitor i'm kinda disappointed because I couldn't find anybody mentioning bad motion blurring.

Your either

A: More sensative to blurring then other people

B: Your monitor is still cold, it gets better after it warms up.

Either way, a new DVI cable will do nothing to decrease ghosting. Exactly what game is causing all the fuss?

I get it mainly in conter-strike source and natural-selection which is a mod for hl.

i just purchased this for 263$ at newegg refurbished and a Neo-flex stand 45-174-300 for liek 50 bucks on ebay so i should have a sweet set up

Skelaton4 said:
i just purchased this for 263$ at newegg refurbished and a Neo-flex stand 45-174-300 for liek 50 bucks on ebay so i should have a sweet set up

how are the refurbs?

Well i am not sure but i order a x800gto2 a weeks ago refurbished and it came perfect! only 100 bucks from newegg so i think i have good chance of gettign a good quailty one.. I will post when it ships like...maybe wensday or Tuesday I hate UPS don't ship Weekends :rolleyes:

Musty said:

Great. I was so comfortable with buying this monitor this week, but now that you've said this about the exact game I play mainly, I'm hesitant now.

If it ghosts too much for me, will newegg exchange it for a VX922?

I3eyond, the only thing I can imagine is that Musty got a bad one. I play CS: Source a lot, along with Guild Wars, Dawn of War, FEAR, Call of Duty 2, etc. I kid you not, there is almost zero noticable ghosting, and even then, you won't find it unless you're specifically looking for it. Ghosting is not one of the VX2025's issues.

Musty, get that thing RMA'd!

ghosting isn't a problem on mine, it's the motion blurring. I can't notice a thing when standing still or moving forward but as soon as i do a fast mouse movement my screen is completely blurred. Is there a program that I can test the response time and compare it with others?

hey sry ive sort of lost track of this thread and im wondering if the problem with scaling and 7900gt/x's ever got fixed?

Dan3290 said:
hey sry ive sort of lost track of this thread and im wondering if the problem with scaling and 7900gt/x's ever got fixed?

Nope, still isnt fixed. There was mention that some tweaked driver fixed the problem, but it doesnt.

thats a shame cause i want this monitor but i think i may get the 215tw instead even though its more than i wanna spend...

:)
curveball692 said:
Well I took the plunge! Just ordered from newegg. Was going to do buy.com, but didnt feel like having another credit card just to save $30, and buy.com uses fedex ground for their free shipping, and the fedex ground driver here is an idiot! he mis-delivers my packages, and doesnt treat them well. UPS driver is a friend of mine, so for $13 more, 2 day delivery opposed to 7-10, and good handling, I think its worth it.

Another reason I chose newegg was actually the dead pixel policy. Newegg states "7 or more" to be defective, and even VS's policy is 10 or more, so it seemed like a no-brainer. Cant wait for this sucker to arrive! :D

Hi

Thanks to those who have started and contributed to this thread. I am in Australia and stumbled across this thread whilst researching on a LCD monitor to upgrade to from my existing 21" CRT monitor. I am currently considering the Viewsonic VX2025WM, VX922 and the Dell 2007.

I keep reading you guys refering to different stores offering different dead pixel policy etc on this monitor. Doesn't Viewsonic offer zero dead pixel warranty for their LCD monitors in the states? In Australia, this monitor comes with 30 days zero dead pixel warranty whilst the VX922 comes with a more generous 90 days zero dead pixel warranty as do the rest of the VP series. See URL below:

http://www.viewsonic.com.au/kbase/article.php?id=5

I have a couple of questions I am hoping the Viewsonic VX2025WM owners can answer:
1) I have a 128MB Radeon 9800 XT (soft modded from 9800 Pro) using Omega drivers. Has any 9800 XT owner been succesful in "scaling" the video output to non-native resolutions?
2) Does this monitor come with DVI Cable? What sort of DVI cable is required for use on the Radeon 9800 XT card?

Thanks.

here in the USA, their webpage has this for dead pixel policy:

Q & A: LCD

LCD Pixel Criteria

ViewSonic is committed to customer satisfaction by providing the highest quality products in the industry. The result is that our LCD displays generally have very few non-performing pixels. For example, an 18" SXGA (1280 x 1024) display has nearly 4 million sub-pixels. A product exhibiting 7 non-performing pixels would equate to an extremely small 0.00018 percent of the total sub-pixels.

(1280 Horizontal Pixels) * (1024 Vertical Pixels) * (3 sub-pixels per pixel) = 3,932,160 sub-pixels

[(7 non-performing pixels) / (3,932,160 sub-pixels)] * 100% = 0.00018%

To ensure the highest performing displays, ViewSonic sets limits as to the allowable number of pixel anomalies. ViewSonic has adopted the following pixel criteria to supplement our existing three-year limited warranty. This policy applies to all ViewSonic LCD displays during the warranty period.

ViewSonic sets limits on 14" - 15" LCD's at 4 bright sub-pixels, 4 dark sub-pixels, or a combination of 4.
ViewSonic sets limits on 17" - 19" LCD's at 7 bright sub-pixels, 7 dark sub-pixels, or a combination of 7.
ViewSonic sets limits on 20" & greater LCD's at 10 bright sub-pixels, 10 dark sub-pixels, or a combination of 10.

It is possible that any replacement display may also have some non-performing sub-pixels. This should be considered when requesting a warranty exchange.

If its different, i.e. 0, here in the USA and their page is wrong, someone please let me know so I can trade this in for a 0 dead pixel monitor.

ive been checking out this monitor for about a month now and this thread has definetly helped a bunch, and most of my questions on it have been answered. But i still cant decide between the vx922 and vx2025wm. the thing is that my i have a radeon 9600 and cant find anywhere if it can support the native resolution of this monitor (1680x1050). anyone know if it can?

curveball692 said:
If its different, i.e. 0, here in the USA and their page is wrong, someone please let me know so I can trade this in for a 0 dead pixel monitor.
Nope, it's not wrong. Most LCD manufacturers have stricter quality control for the international countries.

KaveMan said:
ive been checking out this monitor for about a month now and this thread has definetly helped a bunch, and most of my questions on it have been answered. But i still cant decide between the vx922 and vx2025wm. the thing is that my i have a radeon 9600 and cant find anywhere if it can support the native resolution of this monitor (1680x1050). anyone know if it can?
It will support it fine, but don't expect to be playing games at that resolution. ;)

Back