Vista Innovation @ [H] Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason_Wall

[H] Consumer Managing Editor
Many of us have had time to check out Vista ourselves at this point, or we've at least heard enough water cooler talk about it. Scott, our Mac guy, has had a sore spot about Vista for a while. Naturally he's upset that Microsoft chronically rips off Apple features, but he's more upset that Microsoft has become so behemoth in size that it's too busy tripping over itself to inject anything fresh into the industry.

I also believe the point has been made that Microsoft, as the inert leviathan it has become, is no longer able to innovate in the OS market, but merely emulate those that have blazed the trail before them. To support this assertion, I’ve restated some bits of wisdom here that have been printed elsewhere. If I’ve been redundant, I apologize. For the most part, however, I think that some of the information presented was known by many, but all of it to none.

Thanks for reading!

Excellent article! I've been arguing the fact that Apple doesn't sell a computer or an operating system, since I bought a Mac. They are selling an (excellent) computing experience, just as you said. People WANT things to work as seamlessly as they do on Mac and the gradually improving market share is evidence of that. Windows is plagued by poorly written drivers and a myriad of different hardware configurations. I'm sure if Apple had to deal with such an issue, they would have a difficult time too. However, they have (thankfully) chosen to avoid the issue altogether. If only more corporations didn't mandate their employees use Windows and developers began porting their applications to OS X, this would be a radically different computing world.

I just hope Kyle doesn't ban you from the forums. :D

No sense in reinventing the wheel right :p. As an end-user I could really care less about who innovates what so much as who executes it better, and for my needs MS nailed it with Vista. I'd gladly install or VM OS X on my PC if Apple would let me. I'm aware that the froo froo hardware point was addressed in the article but it is very valid. A second fully supported operating system that supports most mainstream consumer hardware would be a really nice thing and a great alternative to the already existing 15123561361613 linux distros that are the standing alternative to Windows. So let Apple step up to the plate and stop hiding behind the "Froo froo" hardware.

Also, there is a broken link on the second page, fourth paragraph, it didn't render sandboxing as a hyperlink I see the webcode instead..

I really think that guy should get his info right. Who delivers a better OS? I think the market speaks for itself. Incompatibility with files is a very big issue. Why I don't get a Mac No.1: I can't use my billions of .exe files. Already OS X is out of the question. Yes Macs are pretty, but what use is a pretty computer that has zilch upgradability? That was reason No.2. That pretty much sums it up. And viruses. Why would someone bother making a virus for 2.5% of the market share? I don't know. Cheers.

I really think that guy should get his info right. Who delivers a better OS? I think the market speaks for itself. Incompatibility with files is a very big issue. Why I don't get a Mac No.1: I can't use my billions of .exe files. Already OS X is out of the question. Yes Macs are pretty, but what use is a pretty computer that has zilch upgradability? That was reason No.2. That pretty much sums it up. And viruses. Why would someone bother making a virus for 2.5% of the market share? I don't know. Cheers.

OSX supports most of the same basic file types windows does. Of course executables compiled for windows won't run on OSX, they certainly won't run anywhere else either (other than on windows). Thats really kind of a "duh" statement.

nice article, only problem I had was the mention of 60,000+ viruses for windows, if Macs were the more dominant of the 2 Systems I believe the number would be switched from pcs to macs, software is software , it will never be perfect and if someone can make it, someone better can break it =)

I really think that guy should get his info right. Who delivers a better OS? I think the market speaks for itself.

By that logic McDonalds makes the best food and China makes the best everything else. :p

Actually indifferent myself, I like the plug and play of the Mac, but I also like GAMES and actually enjoy poking around a PCs innards, so my main desktop is a PC, but my laptop is a Mac, and I keep a Mini around for when I'm too lazy to turn on my PC.

This article epitomizes the typical "Windows Sucks" articles that Mac users seem so fond of writing. Here's a tip, if you're going to write an editorial, you should at least pretend to follow some basic tenets of journalism, such as actually researching the information used to support your argument:

Example: Gadgets in Vista are simply HTML files using JavaScript or VBScript with a lightweight object model. Because of this you can actually take some Windows Live gadgets that run within any web browser on any platform and run them from the Vista sidebar. .NET is not directly supported, and many people are actually upset about that.

Example: You assail Microsoft for copying Apple's widgets, yet you completely ignore, or simply do not know that Apple's widgets are essentially a clone of several solutions that have existed on other platforms for years.

Stardock released the first ever implementation of "widgets" with DesktopX on the Windows platform that was released in 2000, before the first version of OS X was even available.

You also conveniently omitted mention of the controversy surrounding Apple's inclusion of widgets in the first place when Apple copied and effectively killed a very competent shareware product called Konfabulator.

If you're going to write an article attacking Windows, on a PC enthusiast site no less, at least make an attempt at being accurate.

As mad as Kyle may be that Apple won’t let him shoot himself in the foot by trying to install the OS on some duct-tape and barbed-wire system...
So which is it - is the author of this article dishonest or stupid ? I mean, either he ignores the entire makeup of the readership of [H]ardocp.com or he is just ignorant. Either way, good job insulting 98% of the people that read the [H]. I build systems in my sleep and as far as I'm concerned, my system that is vastly cheaper than any MAC, is just as cool looking as a Mac. No duct tape or barbed wire necessary.

In general, that editorial is nothing more than a thinly veiled "Microsoft is the SUXOR and Mac RULES, DOOD" opinion that anyone that read [H]ardocp.com has read 100 times before.

If I’ve been redundant, I apologize. For the most part, however, I think that some of the information presented was known by many, but all of it to none.
Please. Typical of the Mac snob to think the unwashed masses that would dirty themselves by using Windows must also be stupid.

Finally, let me point out the abject stupidty that generally encompasses this entire "article":

Mac users have had those mentioned features in spades for, literally, years. Parents already have multiple means by which to regulate the type of access their children have on their computers. Not only can they create limited accounts (“Standard” versus “Administrator” – UAC anyone? ) to prevent system-level changes, but on those “Standard” accounts, they’ve got application-level control as well. Since 2003, every single Macintosh sold has included iLife, a fully featured, fully integrated multimedia management and development suite. While not integrated with the OS itself (which I think is a good thing), it offered, right out of the box, full “digital-lifestyle” functionality. With iPhoto, you can manage up to 250,000 images, and produce professional quality prints with the included filters and editing capabilities. With iDVD, Mac owners have been importing video clips from their digital cameras, inserting transitions, effects, and soundtracks for over three years.
Mmmm... neat argument IF I already own a Mac. Since I have 6 PCs in my house and my daughter has her own PC in her room, that is fairly inexpensively constructed, is it insanity, or just blind arrogance that informs the opinion that I could get all that Vista goodness if only I just bought a Mac. Golly, maybe I should light some money on fire to keep warm, too.

Is Vista lacking in innovation ? Probably. Especially when compared to the lofty expectations Microsoft themselves set out when they began development of "Longhorn". Maybe someone will actually write an article about that since this clearly is no such thing.

Oh, and PS - you CAN run OS X on a PC is you are so inclined. Might even give it a try one of these days.

I like how the big Mac user argument is "We had all of these features before." Well guess what? now PC users have the flexibility in components, price, and software they did before, PLUS what you guys have. So where's the argument, really?

I like how the big Mac user argument is "We had all of these features before." Well guess what? now PC users have the flexibility in components, price, and software they did before, PLUS what you guys have. So where's the argument, really?

My point exactly, who cares about innovation, programmers reuse code all the time, I care about what I can spend my money on. There are scarce few ideas that are truly original in computing anymore, everything is about making it run better.

Is it really that hard to “install drivers” and run a “secure windows PC?” Or is it just that extra lazy click you guys don’t like. Apple OS is fine, the interface is very appealing, but please don’t demean PC users to lower level on “drivers” and “secure-ness”, if you are don’t enjoy or like those 2 simple things then APPLE IS FOR YOU.

To be honest I found this article to be ... in the least "Mac fan-boyish." Now I don't mean to start a flame war or to disrespect anyone but, really, you mean to tell me if I go get a Mac that has OSX 2gigs of RAM and an ATi x1800XT that it will crush a C2D system with an 8800GTX and 4gigs of ram? I think not, this is just the case, I have a friend that thinks this way, "It's says Mac so it must be better." Even though his Mac can hardly push 60 - 70 FPS in BF2, he just got a new Intel Mac with 3gigs of Ram, but its a Mac so it has to be better right? Where I'm flying in BF2142 with well over 100 FPS (there is a command to take the 100FPS cap off of BF)

I really don't see why people are making such a big deal over Vista, it is just like all other releases of Windows. Yet people still act surprised bu it all. When the first service pack or companies come out with more drivers, there is not doubt in my mind that Vista will rock out. For now I'm just sticking to XP 64bit Pro.

And before anyone says, "Well, Mac's don't need service packs." Yes I am well aware of this. But a Mac still needs drivers just the same. Half the people I see crying over Vista are not even using it or have tried to use it. I have used the business edition and thus far it is rock solid. So Vista is still 2[H]ard4SUM, meh just my two cents.

This is not meant to be a flame post, just my opinion.

I disagree with the overall feeling of disgust with Vista I got from the article, as my experiences with it have largely been pleasant, but I do take issues with issues the editorial has where it seems to be fairly obvious the reviewer isn't willing to actually try a different approach and in the following case, seems to be sticking his head in the sand.

what happened to the “Run…” command in the Windows Vista Start menu? It’s gone. You have to manually enable it now.

It's gone because it's not needed. Typing in a variety of commands, from bringing up msconfig to regedit to MMC can all be entered in the start search bar. Just type in what you're trying to run, and lo and behold, IT RUNS!

You can re-enable Run, sure, but you're just adding another step into a process which has already been made easier for you. This is not the only portion I take issue with, but it is by far the most glaring.

One of my big complaints about the OS is a lot of the things in Vista which really are true improvements over XP- regardless of if they exist in other systems or not, unfortunately are the things which don't seem to be as advertised (such as a breakdown of network processes and services right down to the port in reliability and performance manager). Unfortunately, it took taking the 70-620 to make me aware of a lot of the changes.

Apple has been innovative, there is no argument there.
But......
I dont want to buy some chevette/yugo hardware to get it.......hardware that I cant upgrade, and hardware AND software that wont run the games I like to use in my spare time.
I use an ipod.
I applaud Apple for itunes, and I truely believe in the attitude: " if you dont like itunes, then dont buy an ipod" Apple thought of it and they should benefit.
But......as a computer system/integrator/OS....Apple = sucks.

I truely believe in what Mr. Bennett said in his editorial.......if Apple tried to implement their system on all the computers in the world......peolpe would bash them [H]arder than they do MS by far.

Vista aint perfect, maybe it DID take from OS X. Imitation is flattering. I'll stick with MS, thank you......I can put itunes on my PC, I could give a shit about widgets or gadgets, if I want to know the weather I'll go outside.
Yeah, this article kinda pissed me off.......like looking the gift horse in the mouth, but it was a good read......it made me think. That is good.

Wow, this article was extremely off the mark. Along with Asadero's comments, the fact that the author actually used the fact that Windows will run on a Mac as a PRO Apple statement is ridiculous. It can run on that hardware because Windows does what an OS does best - talks to hardware.

And claiming MS copied Apple on everything is also ridiculous. The widget/gadget/desktopx/konfabulater thing has already been explained. There's also the fact that MS showed off early preview builds of Longhorn, way too early. You think they just woke up one morning and whipped out a quick random clones of OS X features?

Alot of what OS X does is not anything innovative either. Using gradients and pretty colors - thats just taking advantage of the available hardware. Windows hasn't included that for years due to backwards compatibility. A 3d card is finally common enough to the point that they can release it the masses without cries from everyone. If MS was also a hardware company, and ran their own hardware, it'd be interesting to see what their OS would've looked like years ago as well.

Overall points I do agree with - Vista isn't all that great. There is no reason for me to upgrade to it. There's also no reason for me to use a Mac, and in fact less reason to - inflated price, non-upgradability on the hardware side, and of course software incompatibility (which is not Apple's fault). By the same point, the "PCS HAVE VIRSUSESESES!!!111!1!!!!!" argument just needs to die. Every OS out there is going to have insecurities. Become the market leader, see what happens. Everyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows this, and it's, at this point, especially to this crowd, is nothing but retarded to use in an argument. Also, UAC is horrible. OS X definitly did it get it right, in my book, with user accounts and permissions (for reference, my last job, that I just quit, I developed php/mysql on Mac OS X). Both OS's (at least Mac OS X and XP) are extremely stable. Both do weird things as well, like wierd reboots, finder/explorer stop working, the dock...disappears..., etc.

But back to this "article" - it's complete crap. Wait...was this a [H]ardJoke or something? Just to get people pissed off, post in the forums, digging it, just to get publicity? You guys almost had me!

i for one am getting rather tired of these idiot pro mac articles. thats not what the [H] is about! if i wanted to read this kind of drivel i'd go to some mac forums and drop my IQ a few points.

its one thing to have an article about how vista really isn't that great, in fact i'd be the first to agree. it doesn't offer much new and eats up resources like nobody's business. lets face it, vista is a bloated hog and shame on microsoft for bringing out an OS thats that bloated. that would be a great [H] article!

this however is not that article. this is a 'i like mac os better' for pure nonesense reasons. is the [H] now going for sensationalism articles to up the raitings? there wasn't much of an article here and most of that was just opinion with nothing to back it up. in my mind, the [H] is about delivering an unbiased review and/or opinion with facts to back that up. i remember the not too long ago P4 and athlon 64 debate. the [H] did honest to goodness reviews on both cpus and presented facts. maybe an opinion was given, but that wasn't the focus of the entire article. i remember the reviewer saying that 'i find the P4 with HT smoother overall experience' and that was about it.

i'll close in saying this: you're alienating your fan base and attracting mindless mac zealots. it seems like an outright attempt to stir up controversy. why couldn't this have been a '30 days with vista' like the recent '30 days with linux' article?

if things keep going at this rate, i'd be better off to start reading tom's assware regularly.

Like I've said many time here, there is no doubt that OSX is better than Windows Vista. There are three problem that will forever keep me from switching to OSX/Linux/BSD:

1 - I can't buy OSX and install it on my expensive hardware. And I refuse to buy Apple hardware at an atrocious price to run OSX. An entry-level Mac capable of some mild horsepower will cost more than my high-end gaming rig. Don't tell me this overpriced hardware is "certified" either - you and I both know that "certification" is just another way of saying "we are only going to devote time and energy to these three devices, so don't try to use the other two million available because we aren't even going to try and make them work."

2 - Games. I'm a gamer, I play games, lots of them, I spend lots of money on hardware and software for games. I spent more on my video card than I did on my operating system. The sole purpose of my desktop's existence is to play games. OSX, Linux, and BSD are not compatible with most of the games out there. All right, OSX does have WoW on its side; the killing blow here is that a video card capable of playing WoW at decent eye candy on a 20" LCD is going to cost your a second mortgage to buy form Apple.

3 - No HD support. My multimedia PC is all about media. I run uncompressed music, I run DVD rips, and I have HD-DVD equipment hooked up to my TV. OSX does not support HD-DVD or Blu-Ray media, and if Job's "hard stance" against DRM is really that [H]ard, I doubt Leopard is going to support AACS either, which means another generation of no HD media from Apple (available late of course, as a $100 addon).

Vista is to OSX as a Ford Mustang is to a Porsche. Everyone knows the Porsche is better, but they still buy the Mustang. Why? It's cheaper, it's easier to mod into what you want it to do, and it has a much lower cost of ownership.

I'm also going to agree with the others that this article is very out of line with [H]'s traditional stance (this is the first [H] article I've gone out of my way not to digg). What's up here, Kyle?

Q: Where’s the disc for my motherboard?
A: In the handly little organizer, right where it should be. Why do you ask?

Q: Do I have a PCI-E or AGP video card?
A: Pardon me, but what "enthusiast" would have to ask himself that question? Considering an "enthusiast" is the sort of person who would've bought it himself, installed it himself, etc. I have to wonder, how did this question feel when it shot out your ass?

Q: Does this machine have an on-board audio solution, or do I need to buy one?
A: Fairly standard question for someone buying a PC. It's part of the research. You know, that thing everybody does before building a computer themselves. Needless to say, any desktop motherboard is going to have built in audio anyways. The question is never "do I need to" but often "Do I want to." as a PC user, I have options like that.

Q: Did it already say “Press F2 to enter setup”?
A: No, press it now. Increase FSB to 355. *beep* Haha, free speed. Those mac idiots have to pay for theirs.

Q: I just bought this thing! Why is my video driver 9 months old?
A: Because you bought from a lameass integrator. This is no better than buying from apple, except it doesn't come with that huge dose of self-righteous bullshit. Build it yourself, get the new drivers, no issues here.

Q: Why is my screen blue?
A: Because you fucked something up. Go back to apple.

Wasn't it Janet Jackson in the 80's who sang "What have you done for me lately"? And the application of 'homuncular' was, at best, a stretch. Editorials such as this, regardless of which side the author stands, are swimming in emotional arguments. And an argument based on emotional rhetoric is a castle built atop a swamp, i.e, without firm foundation. Most computer users judge an OS based on the overarching criterium of performance, if for no other reason than performance can be quantified. Selecting an OS based on philosophy or politics is, again, our swampy castle because opinions and philosophies change. Linux was within a hair of gaining a foothold, but then the political/philosophical civil wars began and scattered whatever potential user-base it might have won. These potential users saw the purely puerile arguing, and just turned away. I'd cite Debian as an example, but far from the only project thus afflicted. As for Mac having the edge on innovation, I think that too is a stretch as it's basically just the best funded *nix project, built atop that great work of others long before. I myself haven't encountered any problem with Vista that wasn't a direct result of a hardware vendor having been asleep for the long cycle of Vista's development. I paid in full for my license and am loving my Vista Ultimate 64, and it's quite no one else's affair, as your choice is none of mine. Vista stands tall on my computer, and it does so on its own, not by trying to trip some other OS and stand atop it.

when I first saw the title to the article I thought it'd be an XP vs Vista argument about how upgrading would be pointless.. Which would be a fine article...

Then I read the hate that had been published... I do support for macs everyday and they are damn fine machines.. BUT Why the HELL don't they include proper networking? Hey can you find the DNS information on a Mac? NO. If you can tell me, I'd really like to know.

I'm really disappointed in this article.. There wasn't even a rebutle or anything... I mean, its like arguing about DOS and UNIX... OMG THEY BOTH USE A COMMAND PROMPT!!! SOMEONE IS STEALING :rolleyes: ....

Can someone explain to me why OS X 'looks better'? Give me win2k anyday. I find that a 'start' button is FAR MORE INTUITIVE then trying to find an apple.... Being able to have multiple windows up with their own sets of menus INSIDE THE WINDOW makes a big difference for me..

This a very bold and pointless article that will surely alienate a lot of people.. Its giving me a bad taste in my mouth..

despite having built my own desktop, i really identify with the mac ethos of "make everything simple and make it all work together". i use a mac (osx) and a pc (vista) desktop at home, and my laptop uses mostly linux (with a vista dual boot). also, i'm a sucker for a good UI with some nice polish - definately the kind of customer that would identify with a mac. that said, this was really a terrible, rambling, rant of an article, and it's not what i'd expect from a site that usually exists to dispel just this sort of bullshit.

Whilst I'm forced to use Windows over Mac OS X because of gaming, I'm really not fussed either way with regards to which one is 'better'.

However, I'm really shocked that [H] would put such a dreadfully written, highly subjective rant on their front page when I've always respected their high journalistic standards and well written, objective assessments. I thought it was truly dire and should be relegated to the blog bin.

What's up here, Kyle?

We have over 20 people that write for us now and not all of them share mine or your opinion. Scott wanted to share his opinions and we gave him the platform to do that. His views do not represent mine in any way, shape, or form.

Mac users have had those mentioned features in spades for, literally, years. Parents already have multiple means by which to regulate the type of access their children have on their computers. Not only can they create limited accounts (“Standard” versus “Administrator” – UAC anyone? )
Actually, you just described the standard account vs administrator account that has been in windows XP for years. So that argument is null, Apple copied that if anything.
With iDVD, Mac owners have been importing video clips from their digital cameras, inserting transitions, effects, and soundtracks for over three years. “Something I could use,” indeed.
Have you ever used windows movie maker? (you know, the one that was included with XP about 5 years ago.) Who copied who again?
The blatant “Gadget” rip-off of Apple’s “Widget” concept has also been widely discussed around the Web.
As stated in earlier posts, this is entirely not true, both apple and microsoft ripped the gadgets idea from someone else, they are both guilty of that.
Also, what happened to the “Run…” command in the Windows Vista Start menu? It’s gone. You have to manually enable it now.
It isn't gone at all, it is seamlessly intergrated with the search bar. just hop on vista and type regedit into the search bar and it will pop right up. Awesome..

There are so many errors and biases in this article that I can't even believe I read it. Like others mentioned I also did not expect to see this type of BS floating around on HARDOCP.
My thoughts:
I don't know why mac users are so bent on tearing microsoft down. I mean, I have nothing against people who prefer macs. I think Apple does indeed have a great operating system, it is very productive for certain types of users, and indeed is more seamless in its program suite But anyone who wants to play games, or run a database, or do something besides sip their coffee at starbucks while pretending to type something interesting on their macbook in public, are most likely going to prefer a microsoft operating system. Because for us, its not about feelings.

Both Mac and windows copy from eachother. There is a new Mac Os coming out this spring and it will probably have something lke Aero and that 45 degree angle thing. What the Mac needs to do is put right click buttons on all of the trackpads and mice. (The Mighty mouse does not count it;s an abomination.) Give me the G5 laser mouse or something similiar. Afterall the comercials try to make you belieive the the mac is superior thus justifying the 20% price premium over a similairly configured PC. What Steve Jobs really oughta do is Cater towards the gamer community. There are few games for the mac and it takes 1-3 years for a good PC game to make it to the mac. Where is battlefield 2 for the Mac? In addition the Mac is a pain in the bumsicle to use. Especially if you don;t know where to find things with it.

I prefer something I can play videogames on and something that I cna upgrade in the near future. The macs look clean and got a great webcam built into them. A graphics card that most likely will go unused. The Mac is for the computer user who does npot now what they are doing and feel at bliss in their ignorance. They don't want to dela with viruses or spyware and have a false sense of security. I can't wait until some crazy Mac virus comes out destroying their computers. Sure Windows Pc's dominate 95% of the market and that's what virus writers targer. But you got a few million mac users out there though whom the majority of don't use antivirus. An unsuspecting target. :eek:

Well I don't know what to think here. It's certainly a well-written article, but it is so dripping with vitriol that I had a hard time muscling through it. I think the points the author is making are good, but they would be better made with less obvious acidic hatred for the Microsoft "leviathan", and more analytical comparisons.

+Dugg.

Edit: Scott, I certainly respect your opinions, but as a fundamentalist anti-Apple person (and not necessarily pro-Microsoft), I don't agree with any of them. ;)

Great entertainment. Amusing excess - though laurels do not ferment and so cannot get anyone drunk.

Author makes a good point, Apple's expensive froo/froo hardware and OS combination is an intentionally smoothed experience and not JUST gouging. Course, it also IS gouging.

Far as M$ suddenly losing its creative steam... when did it ever have it? Seriously, DOS was ripped straight off of Unix. And Apple? Their GUI, the mouse, and most of their original OS was taken from Xerox - whole clothe.

When we all get our act together we'll be running Linux.

No offense to the author, but I couldn't stomach the editorial past the first 1/2 of a page. The level of "iAngst" was starting to bleed through my LCD and nearly crashed my OS. Perhaps when my Vista system crashes on me and it makes me a sad panda, I will be angry enough to go back and read the rest of this editorial. Wait... My Vista machine hasn't crashed one single time in the last month. Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. :rolleyes:

I think it's going to take a good year or so for most of what's in Vista to really sink in for most people. Remember, XP was a pretty big shocker when it came out.

i agree with the person that said the article was more "fan-boyish" than anything else. thats why my initial reaction was "omfg...:rolleyes:" it was basically one of those rants you find everytime someone pisses off a mac user here on the forums. i love your articles and everything but this one prolly shoulda been posted as a forum post instead of an editorial. lol

Was that an article or a forum post from 1999?

Get this guy to work benchmarking video cards, if he has that much time on his hands.

More hardware reviews please, less of this.

Must be nice having less of a market share than Linux. If not for Pixar and the iPod, Apple would have folded years ago. Do they innovate? Yes. But until Jobs pulls his head out of his ass and opens up his OS to the masses, they will always be second fiddle.

But that option scares Jobs. Lets face it, OSX is nothing more than a way to get people to buy his hardware. They are a hardware company that happens to make software. They innovate on the OS side to screw people on the hardware side. Why would I want to buy a computer that NO one carries software for? Why would I want to buy a PC that I can't upgrade? Want a new graphics card? Tough. Want that new game? Tough. And don't give me that dual boot nonsense. The market they are targeting is the dumb ass home user that wants to email and take pictures. And they target it quite nicely with their ridiculous ads and lies.

This is the man that for years told us that PPC was THE fastest chip on the planet. That Intel sucked. That AMD sucked. And the zealots ate it up. Turns out he himself knew they sucked and had been testing and running the Intel platform for the past 6 years. So when Apple releases the Intel Macs, what does everyone do? Cheer him on and start gloating again. What a fickle bunch. It's not whatever Apple has is the greatest...it's whatever Steve Jobs them is the greatest, they believe.

The iPod is probably THE most under-powered, under-featured, proprietary portable media player on the market. Yet it has an incredible hold on the market. Why? Cause the target demographic for the majority of sales of that item are idiots. They know what they are told. They buy what they are told. Those of us here on the H do our research and buy what fits our needs.

I could go on, but I digress. We have all heard this before.

Of course IPv6 is not in XP but it can be if you want it. XP was released in 2001 and 10.4 was released in 2005. There's a little difference there.

For every comment he makes that are Pro-Apple, he dies not attempt to make any argument in defense of MS/Windows. Obviously MacOS X and Vista both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the writer heavily shows his bias by choosing to show all of Macs advantages and all of Vistas disadvantages. I think he either does this on purpose (maybe to spur discussion) or subconciously leaves these things out as many fan-boys tend to do.

The lack of any counter-argument in the article means that we will have many pages in this thread pointing out all the things he missed. Maybe that is the motive behind the article.

In the wake of the excellent "30 days with Ubuntu" article, I was hoping for more of the same with OS X. Like most here I was surprised and disappointed by what I actually read.

Dear H|OCP. Please give a Mac to whoever did the "Ubuntu" article and tell him to report back in another month. I look forward to that article with the utmost of anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back