Wasted Performance

I'm about to buy a pretty nice gaming setup: 8800GTX, overclocked E6600, and DDR2-1066. With that setup, I'm hoping to see some pretty impressive visuals and pretty good graphics performance. The only problem (I think) is that the monitor I'm getting is this:

ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms DVI LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 650:1

Now, I picked a 2ms model because I really, REALLY don't want to have to deal with any ghosting. However according to the display specs it has a max resolution at 1280x1024. If I buy this monitor, will I have all the hardware necessary to scream games at 16x12 but be unable to because of a display bottleneck? If so, what options do I have otherwise, keeping in mind that a quick response time is very important to me?

I appreciate any help that I can get, as this is one of my last questions before pulling the trigger and buying the system.

with that nice card the 8800gtx... you can game nicely on that resolution at 1280x1024.. with everything maxed out in the video card settings for all games.... you may want to go widescreen though.. I had a similar monitor the vx924 which is a 3ms monitor.. not that much different from yours.

and in my opinion i wouldnt go back to the regular 4:3 ratio.. i love widescreen it just makes games very fun to play and gives a sense of realism to the games... going back to 4:3 is kinda hard when i check out LAN shops .. hehe..

there are some good monitors out there such one that my friend picked up, its a samsung 20" widescreen (1600x1050) resolution, for under $300 that has a ms of 6ms ... which hardly there is any ghosting.. i mean heck im on an apple cinema 30" with a "rated" 14ms and i do notice some ghosting when playing , compared to the 3ms monitor i had before.. but its not that bad... i got used to it already and to my untrained eye i dont see the ghosting.. cuz im not looking out for it.. anything under 16ms is good in my opinion... my friend got his 20" widescreen from here:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4146225

I think its pretty silly, and a waste, to spend 600 bucks on a graphics card (and however much for a really nice rig) and then spend practically nothing on the monitor. You can have the fastest computer in the world and if you're viewing it through a black and white 9" television then what differences does it make? Obviously that situation is more extreme than yours, but it's the same problem.

The monitor and the audio is the only way the computer really conveys information to you. Spending a ton on the box and nothing on the output doesn't make any sense to me. It's like buying a 10,000 dollar amplifier & CD player and then outputting it through 12 dollar radio shack speakers.

At the bare minimum I'd get a 22" widescreen that's 1680x1050. They're cheap, so theres really no excuse not to. Really you should probably be looking at a 24" that runs 1920x1200. Or you could look at a 42" LCD like the Westinghouse. I personally wouldn't go for the 37" Westinghouse, especially if you're worried about ghosting, the 42 has a significantly better response time IIRC.

You've got the horsepower to run most games at the native res of the 3007FPW (2560x1600) and you're running a res that even mid-range cards don't have trouble with. I'd say your thread title is spot on. ;)

My problem is that I blew my load out on the box, so now I'm all but broke when it comes to the monitor. I'd love to just toss an extra $750 at a nice display now, but I physically cannot do it. Still, I'm getting the feeling that old school 4:3 ratio monitors aren't as popular as the widescreens, and you guys have mentioned 1680 x 1050 twice, so how about this as a little bit better?

ViewSonic VX2025wm TFT active matrix, 20.1 in, 1680 x 1050, 8 ms, Black

It gets the highest reviews from CNET in the 20in category and the $320 price tag I might be able to manage, but the response time kind of worries me. Too slow maybe? This would ideally keep me over until next year when I pay for a nice big display.

That Chi Mei is the monitor I've got and I've got no complaints about it. I haven't compared it side by side to a 700+ dollar monitor but it looks great to me.

Nicolaskl said:
That Chi Mei is the monitor I've got and I've got no complaints about it. I haven't compared it side by side to a 700+ dollar monitor but it looks great to me.

How can a monitor that big and fast be that cheap? Something is off.

Fortunately, for the price the performance is admirable, with the 5ms response time showing noticeable but minimal ghosting throughout the motion tests. In our DisplayMate tests the CMV 221D showed a tendency to become dark too quickly in the colour and greyscale ramps, losing definition. Yet despite this it still managed to differentiate all the way down to the second shade of grey on the 256 shade greyscale gradient. The whites weren’t so impressive, things blowing out at the 247 mark, and showing a slight green discolouration on the greyscale.

Backlight bleed through on all 4 sides (only noticeable when the screen is all black and at 100% brightness, which is the default setting, turn it down, and it goes away) - VGA looks bad compared to DVI - Stand is weak and flimsy (if desk moves, so does your monitor) - White doesn't seem exactly right (hard to explain, just seems a little bit off, nothing I care about, just letting the picky ones of you know) - Grey seems like blue is bleeding in (again, just something for you picky people) - Poor Viewing angles (straight on is the best angle, you can see the deterioration as soon as you begin to move away from straight on) - Came with Australasian power cables

Well, that kind of sucks.

Think about it this way. It might be a slight waste now, but you will probably be able to run games at high settings for a couple of years.

You know, if I'm going to be paying in the $300s it might be worth it to get a 22", as long as there aren't any awful performance issues.

Both the Viewsonic 22" and the SPECTRE 22" seem to get good reviews at Newegg. Anyone have experience with these? Worth the extra bucks?

there's a post here about the Sceptre 22" ... it looks pretty good in those screenshots

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111713

Haven't heard anything about the Viewsonic 22".

*update*

In that link I just posted, there's the following link to this monitor (thanks CoastalEddy!) from Costco for $329.99 ...

Costco's 22" Sceptre Monitor

Considering that Costco is a great place to order from, seems like a pretty solid deal.

Back