WD Raptor 36GB $69 after $30 MIR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see anyone post this yet, I just went to the Fry's Electronics in Irving and picked one up. Great deal, just waiting for my AMD combo from the retail program so i can plug it in.

-----MightyMightyMe------
Athlon 2500 Mobile @ 2.4Ghz
DFI Lan Party NF2 Ultra
512mb Corsair 3500
ATI AIW 9700Pro

Strange... shows up as 129.99 - 30.00 Rebate = After Rebate:$99.99 on Outpost.com.

I might have to take a trip down to Frys to see whats going on.

Also, can you let us know if the rebate is through Fry's, or if it is a Western Digital rebate.

The rebate link on Fry's site is messed up :(.

Cheers!

Damn all you ppl with access to a Frys!!! Damn you all the hardware heaven!!!!

The MIR is with Western Digital, I noticed Outpost doesn't have it so I guess its just the B&Ms in the Dallas area.

It's extremely obvious that aticle had an agenda.
How about copying files? Unzipping large files? Video editing? Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.
They chose not to show any benchmarks that would show RAID-0 in a very positive light.

v3rt1g0 said:
It's extremely obvious that aticle had an agenda.
How about copying files? Unzipping large files? Video editing? Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.
They chose not to show any benchmarks that would show RAID-0 in a very positive light.

www.overclockers.com also did a nice little article on this matter, they came to same conclusion, raptor raid doesnt do jack

freecableguy said:
Anyone think that Quad Raptor RAID 0 would be any better that Dual Raptor RAID 0? Hehehe....

i personally do not think raid 0 does anything but double your chances at losing data...

on yeah, and increase your access time.

Regardless, this is the 2nd fastest SATA hard drive you can get (and the 74GB isn't that much faster, and is the much more expensive) and 69 bucks is still a great deal for it. You can't find it for $99 bucks online hardly

MightyMightyMe said:
Regardless, this is the 2nd fastest SATA hard drive you can get (and the 74GB isn't that much faster, and is the much more expensive) and 69 bucks is still a great deal for it. You can't find it for $99 bucks online hardly

out of stock at downers grove

OK, who the hell said RAID 0 doesn't do jack. If it was you (and you know who you are)....you are dumb. I submit the following for your review.

Single WD 7200RPM 8MB cache 120GB HD:

WD120GB.PNG

Not bad. Average read speed is about 45MB/sec with a burst speed of about double that.

Now, 2 x WD 36GB Raptors RAID 0 (stand back, bitches):

RAID0.PNG

Hmmm. Double the Sequential Read Speed. Wow, look at that burst speed. Further illustrating that you were talking out of your ass.

If you want to know these are all installed in my system. The RAID 0 setup is used for Windows and programs, basically my boot drives. The WD 120GB drive (also a SATA drive) is used for deep storage and archives. This makes it especially easy to reinstall Windows XP Pro if I need too...simply put in the CD and boot from it, wipe the RAID setup and resinstall.

-kjb

freecableguy said:
OK, who the hell said RAID 0 doesn't do jack. If it was you (and you know who you are)....you are dumb. I submit the following for your review.

Single WD 7200RPM 8MB cache 120GB HD:

WD120GB.PNG

Not bad. Average read speed is about 45MB/sec with a burst speed of about double that.

Now, 2 x WD 36GB Raptors RAID 0 (stand back, bitches):

RAID0.PNG

Hmmm. Double the Sequential Read Speed. Wow, look at that burst speed. Further illustrating that you were talking out of your ass.

If you want to know these are all installed in my system. The RAID 0 setup is used for Windows and programs, basically my boot drives. The WD 120GB drive (also a SATA drive) is used for deep storage and archives. This makes it especially easy to reinstall Windows XP Pro if I need too...simply put in the CD and boot from it, wipe the RAID setup and resinstall.

-kjb

great.. now compare a that to a single raptor.

Anything else I can help you with? RAID 0 still suck? I guess everyone has just been fooling ourselves for the last 20 years....that must be why so many enterprises spend a small fortune on RAID systems...

THEY DO WORK. "Dual 36GB WD Raptors RAID 0 will make you cream your pants."

WD360GD.PNG

-kjb

For what it is worth, This was linked on slashdot a little bit after anand and storagereview launched those articles.

http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/515?

Personally, I have alot of respect for anand's work but on this topic I firmly disagree. I believe that an average user ( keep in mind that includes NONE OF US ) would see very little benifit.

I think that all of us would argue this topic to the death unless Kyle decided to do an in depth analysis of the benifits (or lack there of) of RAID on the desktop.

Also, freecableguy, no one is arguing that RAID in a server environment is extremely beneficial.

if you want high throughput, thats great, id much rather have a lower seek time.

Look at the access times. The Raptors are substantial lower than the standard 7200 SATA drive. Now look at the difference between the RAID 0 setup and the single Raptor drive. No change. You're argument is moot.

What are you talking about? The RAID is hardware....Intel chip on the MB. There is no software portion save the device driver. Anyway, are you going to choose 100% lower transfer times over a 3ms access time drop? You may want to rethink that. BTW, independent tests have shown the the WD Raptor Radom Access Time is not as low as they claim. If you look at the results I have posted you will see that their is NO CHANGE in the access time when going from a single drive to a RAID 0 system.

freecableguy said:
What are you talking about? The RAID is hardware....Intel chip on the MB. There is no software portion save the device driver. Anyway, are you going to choose 100% lower transfer times over a 3ms access time drop? You may want to rethink that.

i do not repeatedly transfer things... i play games, and listen to mp3's. if you do lots of video editing and handling of large files. more power ot you, as you would benefit from that.

lol.. After those anti-RAID articles came out, there are all these guys who think their single drive is just as good as a RAID setup. If they think that, they probably ARE just average users who would see no benefit. "WTF starcraft doesn't load any faster!!!111 RAID SUX!" :)

I love how the sheer mention of a raptor drive (in the Hot Deals section) causes an instant raid 0 Flame thread

Well, I have 2 36gb Raptors, and have had them in raid0 for 6 months or so, and heard about the anandtech comparison. I switched back to using a single drives, one for OS, one for apps/games and my system actually felt faster. Everything loaded more quickly than in raid. Now I dont do any video editing or hardcore disk accessing stuff, what I do is mainly play games, surf the w3b, compile programs and listen to mp3/4 audio (with the occasional *special* video ;)) Also, my drives made a very high pitched sound when in raid. Now they sound like normal drives. :confused: I lost over 200gb data on a raid array a few years back and lost everything (yeah, should have made backups :mad: ) Raid isnt worth it unless you run a server or do huge transfers IMO.

Well, saturnine2, THANK YOU for your opinion. I will now refer you to my factual data. I'm happy that your system feels fast. Mine is faster.

freecableguy said:
Well, saturnine2, THANK YOU for your opinion. I will now refer you to my factual data. I'm happy that your system feels fast. Mine is faster.
Yeah, judgeing by benchmarks. :rolleyes:

if you want to discuss raid benefits (or lack thereof) go to the appropriate forum, use this thread to discuss the DEAL.

In other words, quit being dickheads.

ScubaSteve said:
if you want to discuss raid benefits (or lack thereof) go to the appropriate forum, use this thread to discuss the DEAL.

In other words, quit being dickheads.

no name calling :p :)

freecableguy said:
Anything else I can help you with? RAID 0 still suck? I guess everyone has just been fooling ourselves for the last 20 years....that must be why so many enterprises spend a small fortune on RAID systems...

I hate to burst your bubble but, no company in there right mind runs RAID 0...they usually run RAID 5. or 0+1, No company would leave themselves with no redundicy...that's the "small fortune RAID system" you are talking about.

SlickEddie said:
I hate to burst your bubble but, no company in there right mind runs RAID 0...they usually run RAID 5. or 0+1, No company would leave themselves with no redundicy...that's the "small fortune RAID system" you are talking about.

Did he say "Raid 0"? No? I'm pretty sure he said "Raid Systems".
You're just putting words in his mouth.

His point was.. Why would these companies run RAID systems if it offered no speed benefit? They wouldn't.

incase you didnt notice this whole thread is about raid 0... what other would he be talking about. :rolleyes:

v3rt1g0 said:
Did he say "Raid 0"? No? I'm pretty sure he said "Raid Systems".
You're just putting words in his mouth.

His point was.. Why would these companies run RAID systems if it offered no speed benefit? They wouldn't.
Simple. They can't afford to lose data. Lost data is lost money. That's a benefit of RAID 1, not RAID 0. RAID 1 does NOT give a speed increase. It was never designed to. He was arguing that RAID provides a speed increase therefore he must be using RAID 0. RAID 0 IS faster than non RAID 0 raptors but in games the difference is negligible. Not enough sustained sequential data transfers when you're gaming or web surfing.

Jason711 said:
no name calling :p :)

Unless you're a mod! :) lol

Seriously, I want one, I wish there was a Fry's in New Orleans.

BTW, Who the f0ck said you have to use them in RAID 0!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back