Western Digital BLACK SN850X 4TB $230 + extra 10% off & free 128GB flash drive/Wireless charger

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
SN850X $230 for 4TB at Newegg.

WD's website has the same price, but you get $16.99 in Honey gold if you use that. Microsoft Rewards also has 10% off the WD website.

Edit: Best Buy and Amazon have matched this price.

Edit 2: Your lowest price will be from Western Digital's store rather than Amazon/Best Buy/Newegg.

If you create a new Western Digital account on their website, you will get a 10% off promo code. This stacked with the default discount, so the total was $230 with an additional 10% off, with a free 128GB flash drive (two options to choose from) or iXpand Wireless charger.

Total for me with the free wireless charger: $228.22

example.jpg

Last edited:
Based on my experiences, I can tell you that both drives are excellent performers, but I would (& have frequently) buy the 850x Direct from WD instead of that other place...and I like their dashboard SW better than Sammy's :D

The last lot of 4TB 850x's I bought (13 total) are all running smoothly in my client's & my 5 personal rigs, nottaproblemo !

Based on my experiences, I can tell you that both drives are excellent performers, but I would (& have frequently) buy the 850x Direct from WD instead of that other place...and I like their dashboard SW better than Sammy's :D

The last lot of 4TB 850x's I bought (13 total) are all running smoothly in my client's & my 5 personal rigs, nottaproblemo !

Yeah I don't care about the performance, both are good enough. I think this is the better deal. Anything else that can stack with the Honey discount?

Best Buy also lowered their price to $230.

Damn I just got the 4TB 990 Pro yesterday, may pull the trigger on the 850X and then figure out which to keep.

I think it was the 850X that has really high temps? Any observations there compared to the 990Pro?

This is better than the current 990 deal. I really want it ~$200... scratch that. I want a faster than a T700 drive I can plug into my board's separate special cooling slot.

I think it was the 850X that has really high temps? Any observations there compared to the 990Pro?
Well, I don't have a 990 rig in front of me right now, but my 850x/13900K workstation has been running hard for the past 9 hours, doing a bunch of CAD work and database calcs, and it is sittin at 47c, so thats my observation ATM :)

Damn I just got the 4TB 990 Pro yesterday, may pull the trigger on the 850X and then figure out which to keep.

I have 3 and they sit at 40c. This drive is superior to the Samsung. It never slows down and always stays very VERY cool.

Ended up getting this. Had cash back on my credit card, and I assume Honey will work as well. Should get around $30 back. For those with Chase, Capital One, etc. check your offers. It should work out to roughly $220 after tax for me, which would essentially be like a drive priced at $200.

Already got the Honey email, so it is safe to say those rewards are being processed.

Ended up getting this. Had cash back on my credit card, and I assume Honey will work as well. Should get around $30 back. For those with Chase, Capital One, etc. check your offers. It should work out to roughly $220 after tax for me, which would essentially be like a drive priced at $200.

Already got the Honey email, so it is safe to say those rewards are being processed.
Sweet deal for a monstrous drive. Right now hdinfo64 says they are at 33c and I'm running prime 95 full load it's amazing how cold the SN850X runs. With the fans turned up gliding over the boards m2 cooling plate it drops temps massively also another 7 degrees air flow makes a big difference.

I ended up getting both from BestBuy, had a card offer for $25 in rewards for $250 spend in addition to normal point accrual.

I’ll end up sitting on a decision for a few weeks and decide which to keep. Won’t need the storage anytime soon but wanted to get a few 4TB before pcie 5.0 drives start becoming the norm and jack up prices again.

air flow makes a big difference
Tru dat, but the 850x I mentioned earlier is stuffed inside my mini-me box, with only 1 thin 40mm fan, a thin graphene strip, and the 2x side vents for cooling, so I think 47c is really good temp under this circumstance :D

And yea, I got several with my cc/honey/m$ points/rewards too, that's why I went ahead & stocked up while they were cheap....

I don't use PS5 enough to throw in a new SSD in there. Even my 1 TB is empty.
Can't wait for this to arrive.

I don't use PS5 enough to throw in a new SSD in there. Even my 1 TB is empty.
Can't wait for this to arrive.

Makes sense. I was getting tired of having to delete games from the drive all the time. An annoyance more than anything. I stopped myself from picking up the 990 Pro 4TB simply because of the price of this WD again. Other than that, nothing much in it. The only thing I can think of is that the Samsung has all the chips on one side.

Okay one more bump on how to save more on this drive. If you create a new Western Digital account on their website, you will get a 10% off promo code. This stacked with the default discount, so the total was $230 with an additional 10% off, with a free 128GB flash drive (two options to choose from) or iXpand Wireless charger.

Total for me: $228.22

example.jpg

So I bought another. Will see if I can cancel my original order, with the promo I saved $24 and got a Wireless charger for free.

Honey offer still seems to be up, and of course check your credit cards for cash back. With cash back and whatnot I should get this for $200 total, with the wireless charger (is it junk? Suppose I will find out).

Last edited:
I decided to grab one of these from Amazon. It's very much an impulse buy, but w/e.

As far as temps go, the best thing I ever did for NVME temperatures was going with an AIO GPU. All of my NVME temps dropped by over 10C, I reckon.

I decided to grab one of these from Amazon. It's very much an impulse buy, but w/e.

As far as temps go, the best thing I ever did for NVME temperatures was going with an AIO GPU. All of my NVME temps dropped by over 10C, I reckon.

GPUs dump the most heat in the case, at least when gaming. The fastest SSD slot for NVMe/M.2 drives seems to be between the GPU and CPU as well. I assume that will cause some airflow problems in some cases/setups.

GPUs dump the most heat in the case, at least when gaming. The fastest SSD slot for NVMe/M.2 drives seems to be between the GPU and CPU as well. I assume that will cause some airflow problems in some cases/setups.

With my old EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti, some of my NVME drives were often sitting at well over 50C while gaming, and the large heatsink blocked airflow even during normal operation. With this Suprim X Liquid 4090, they're generally under 50C regardless, and some much cooler than that. It was a huge drop. I imagine that full loop would be similar.

Okay one more bump on how to save more on this drive. If you create a new Western Digital account on their website, you will get a 10% off promo code. This stacked with the default discount, so the total was $230 with an additional 10% off, with a free 128GB flash drive (two options to choose from) or iXpand Wireless charger.

Total for me: $228.22

View attachment 615007

So I bought another. Will see if I can cancel my original order, with the promo I saved $24 and got a Wireless charger for free.

Honey offer still seems to be up, and of course check your credit cards for cash back. With cash back and whatnot I should get this for $200 total, with the wireless charger (is it junk? Suppose I will find out).

I just tried it, it bumped the price back to 349.99 for the drive.

1700578874379.png

Yea code not working for me either. Total comes to $244. Meh. Don't really need it so I am going to pass.

With my old EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti, some of my NVME drives were often sitting at well over 50C while gaming, and the large heatsink blocked airflow even during normal operation. With this Suprim X Liquid 4090, they're generally under 50C regardless, and some much cooler than that. It was a huge drop. I imagine that full loop would be similar.
Doesn't thermal throttling only start around 80C? So effectively no performance difference 50 vs. 40?

Doesn't thermal throttling only start around 80C? So effectively no performance difference 50 vs. 40?

Sure, but thermal throttling isn't really the metric I use. It's longevity. I just like keeping my stuff cooler if possible. After all, these drives are housing my data, and my data is important to me. Same with my 3.5" drives. Technically they're probably fine operating at higher temperatures but in every case I get I go well out of my way to put some fans in the area (even if I have to velcro them in there) so they cool down a bit. It's just my prerogative. Well, with 3.5" platter drives, there's actually an ideal operating temperature between (supposedly; I don't know if Helium drives are the same anyway) 35C and 45C. I don't know what the ideal operating temperature is for NVME drives, but I'm just assuming that the cooler the better. It's never lead me wrong before. Shrug.

Last edited:
Thermal throttling. There's a different type of throttling that happens when I'm not sure if I remember correctly but the cache or ram chip or whatever something inside the M2 drive gets full and bogs down the rest of the whole speed of the drive. The Western digital drives are not affected by these slowdowns most of the other M2 drives are though.

I just tried it, it bumped the price back to 349.99 for the drive.

View attachment 615159

I saw that initially. I got two 10% off codes, one from email (did not work) and one popped on when on the SN850X product page where you can add it to cart which worked for me. My shipping label was created, estimated arrival tomorrow.

Suppose the extra 10% off my not be reliable, maybe just keep refreshing the page if you absolutely need that extra 10% off.

I would have bought this deal if I could have made the 10% off work. But alas the dialog box just gave me a (useless) error message and then never reappeared in any browser. Apparently they limit it to one showing per IP address.

I would have bought this deal if I could have made the 10% off work. But alas the dialog box just gave me a (useless) error message and then never reappeared in any browser. Apparently they limit it to one showing per IP address.

Maybe a VPN can help with that?

Back