Hi all, below are the specs for my PC:

ASUS ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard
Intel i7-2600K Processor w/ Corsair H60 watercooler @ 4.9GHz
8GB (4GBx2) G.SKILL RAM
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB HDD
MSI GTX680 GPU
1200W PSU

I have a new eVGA 980 GTX Kingpin ready to be installed. I was thinking about adding another SSD to install my games on, or replace my Crucial M4 with a larger SSD for everything. I'm undecided on that point if anyone has input that would help.

Aside from my new video card, are there any other improvements that can be made to this system that would provide a significant difference? I only use the PC for gaming at 1080p.

Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Maybe go up to 16GB of RAM. What speed is your current RAM running at?

A bigger SSD is always nice. I wouldn't flat out replace it though. I would add another.

Edit: What keyboard and mouse are you using?

I agree with Cyclone3D.

16GB RAM would be nice.

An additional SSD for games would be nice. Keep the existing drive as your OS disk. But larger SSDs are getting dirt cheap. Half-TB Samsung 850 Evos are under $200.

The other nice thing about having your games on a second SSD is that it cuts down on I/O contention on your primary drive. Granted, most SSDs are fast enough that this is a non-issue. But why take the chance?

:D

Making SSD RAID? Though don't know if that could bring advantages for your loads.

Making SSD RAID? Though don't know if that could bring advantages for your loads.

Not going to really help. RAID-0 on SSDs actually increases the seek time a bit from the reviews I have seen.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm glad I held off and posted first - I had almost ordered a 1TB Crucial SSD last night from Tiger Direct.

On another note... Started messing around with the install of the GPU. I keep getting a PCI-E Power connection error no matter how I plug in the connectors. I'll have to keep screwing around with it.

You may need to return your system to base CPU clocking to get it installed. Then run up the clocking again.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm glad I held off and posted first - I had almost ordered a 1TB Crucial SSD last night from Tiger Direct.

On another note... Started messing around with the install of the GPU. I keep getting a PCI-E Power connection error no matter how I plug in the connectors. I'll have to keep screwing around with it.

Did you make sure that the PCI-E power cable was connected correctly at both ends?

Did you make sure that the PCI-E power cable was connected correctly at both ends?

I ended up using two 6+2 connectors and a 6 pin and it works.

The performance isn't necessarily what I expected - I'm bottlenecking the card somewhere.

Back