What would you do with 48 cores?

Silent.Sin

Gawd
Just saw that John F posted a blog entry about an AMD contest giving out a 4 socket Magny Cours system:

The AMD Server team is kicking March off with a new contest. We are seeking your best essays, videos, or blog posts documenting how you might use 48 cores. One winner will be selected and awarded with:

* Four new AMD Opteron™ processors Model 6174, 12-core (2.2 GHz)
* TYAN S8812 motherboard: the motherboard is a Tyan S8812 that features 4 processor sockets with the capacity for you to install up to 8 DIMMs per socket
* one copy of Windows Server® 2008

Don't think the winning essay is going to be "Try to max out Crysis" but you never know :p Might add a couple of significant digits to my electric bill if I ran that at home but that would be one hell of a cool toy to play with.

Realtime Lung CT analysis and diagnosis. Right now it takes a few minutes with 8 cores.

Whats the TDP on a 48 core system? Any idea on the PSU required?

Winrarx64 would be a joy to use on that system.

Um, no one PSU will run that, unless you go over 1.5kw
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Same thing I do with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 cores...watch pr0n.

Actually, with 48, I might host pr0n.

I don't know for sure but I think the TDP on these chips is only 115W, maybe 140W for the high-end chip which this one is. 4x 140 = 560 for CPUs alone. These are server chips, they aren't 4 Ghz Phenom II cores. Unless you load it up with video cards you should get by just fine on a 850W-1 kw PSU. If I had a system like this and was using it for bigadv folding, I would have to find some way to keep the cores loaded while a work unit was uploading. If I figure correctly this should complete a bigadv WU in about 17-18 hours, so the 20-40 minutes spent uploading a unit and not crunching would be unforgivable.

What the fuck assholes?

Not one goddamn word of solitaire? Geez you fucks are getting dated. Time to put you all down :)

Okay I'll go. Can it run solitaire?

I would play Global Thermonuclear War at max settings.
WOPR.jpg

What the fuck assholes?

Not one goddamn word of solitaire? Geez you fucks are getting dated. Time to put you all down :)

Okay I'll go. Can it run solitaire?

I might do some typing in notepad, maybe some calculator and ms paint :D

FPGA/ASIC hardware simulations.

Folding@Home.

I would video myself pouring beer over it and watching it die, then i'd take a sledgehammer to it and smash it up real good. Post it on Youtube and watch the comments roll while i laugh and not give a damn.

run 3dmark cpu test. watch it run smooth.
insert that number into my epenis so it distends to 40 ft and wave it around on forums.

then play crysis on high.

To quote The Brain..."the same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the WORLD!"

is there any application that will take advantage of 48 cores? other than mspaint?

Well, Microsoft's operating systems and apps might not "take advantage of 48 cores" as much as "hog all available resources"! :rolleyes::D

is there any application that will take advantage of 48 cores? other than mspaint?

My prime number generator can take advantage of thousands upon thousands of cores... more like millions of cores as you can select however many threads you want it to use.

Also.. you could do some serious MMO multiboxing with 48 cores.

I was wondering why I never saw JF-AMD post the contest on [H], like he has on many other forums. I guess it's pretty obvious after reading this thread. :D Some of those sour intel folk spilling over into this one sort of confirms that. Looks at sig's: yup.

It's kind of funny too a couple days ago when the people viewing the intel section suddenly jumped to around 200, overnight! A little obvious if you ask me. The intel viral marketers are like the borg, moving from forum to forum, manipulating, trolling, fudding, whatevering. Yes? No?

Back