Who is exicited about 975X

Wait, some said they're not sure if 975 will support Conroe, now some say that it will cause they've seen it? I'm confused :confused:

steviep said:
Wait, some said they're not sure if 975 will support Conroe, now some say that it will cause they've seen it? I'm confused :confused:

Welcome to the internet. Nice to meet you. :D Really, with the exception of the people who work at Intel or possibly other tech companies, nobody here knows shit. They get what they can off of websites and make assumptions.

Nasgul said:

I can't say I'm excited but performance wise the 975X will be a tad better than the 955X in overall performance. As far as supporting CONROE? We'll have to see. I can't say I've red about it or have seen it but.......we'll see.

But for those of US that own the P5WD2-Premium is not a bad choice to sell the MoBo on eBay and buy the P5WD2-E Premium, after all, ASUS Premium, specially Intel have a higher resell value.

As long as the 955X supports Cedar Mill and Preslers I'm cool with that.

Sure, Intel releases a new chipset to support two different techs but just look at it this way:
If the Northbride would be integrated in the CPU, then you'd have to buy a new CPU every time you'd think it's better than the previos core name.

So if the CPU cost around $170+, yet you'd still have the same old board and what difference does that make if Intel would put the Nortbridge in the CPU? I think I'd rather a new board which supports some other newer features that other hardware vendors/manufacturers are developing.

As long as there is Crossfire support I could care less about SLI. Could be a market boon for ATI as well if Intel decides to go that way only.

I would get excited if intel got the act together and introduced a pentium m cpu with 1066fsb ddr2 a 4mb of cache that runs 3.0-4.0 ghz that would would make me throw my x2 amd 64 in the trash really quick.

Shane said:
I would get excited if intel got the act together and introduced a pentium m cpu with 1066fsb ddr2 a 4mb of cache that runs 3.0-4.0 ghz that would would make me throw my x2 amd 64 in the trash really quick.

I think at 3Ghz it would be making everyone throw their old systems in the trash, much less 4Ghz.

I am thinking conroe will be at 2.2 - 2.6Ghz and totally rock... and the EE should be at 3.0 to make it worth the 1000$

I dont get how nVidia could "miss" a package from Intel...unless Intel never really sent it.

Meh, I'm excited either way.

chrisf6969 said:
I think at 3Ghz it would be making everyone throw their old systems in the trash, much less 4Ghz.

From what I saw, yes an assumption, Conroe was supposed to be 1333 FSB and the first (launch) top model was 2.93GHz.

Then you underestimate every AMD F@nboy who ever posted on a Forum. If Intel were to launch a 3GHz Pentium M and it kicked the snot out of AMD's best. Many of these same folks would find some lame assed excuse still not to buy it. Much of their rage is against Intel and Intel will never do anything to please them=P They believe everything AMD say as true and God like. All anyone has to do is look at the trashing of SSE, Strained Silcon, and BTX? Overclockers and Moders of ALL kinds should have embraced the hell out of BTX.

Yup, I'm sure there are Intel Fans who feel the same way about never buying AMD. I say that about all Fans as an opinion. What Intel said about Integrated memory and 64bit was BS as well. Both AMD and Intel PR folks are taught to bad mouth what they don't have tech-wise.

With that said, I'll easily say this is one of the fairer Forums on the web. Many of the others have AMD !!!!!!s for Mods.

Now, with that out of the way. I'm looking forward to Cedar Mill and it will be something overclockers might want really check out.

Donnie27

rayman2k2 said:
I dont get how nVidia could "miss" a package from Intel...unless Intel never really sent it.

Meh, I'm excited either way.

Why would you say or think that? nVidia BROKE the phuggin' Drivers for SLI on the i955. Many sites got it to work with older drivers. Many already point to nVidia trying to keep SLI to themselves. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this one seems to be more of nVidia's BS LOL!

Donnie27 said:
From what I saw, yes an assumption, Conroe was supposed to be 1333 FSB and the first (launch) top model was 2.93GHz.

Then you underestimate every AMD F@nboy who ever posted on a Forum. If Intel were to launch a 3GHz Pentium M and it kicked the snot out of AMD's best. Many of these same folks would find some lame assed excuse still not to buy it. Much of their rage is against Intel and Intel will never do anything to please them=P They believe everything AMD say as true and God like. All anyone has to do is look at the trashing of SSE, Strained Silcon, and BTX? Overclockers and Moders of ALL kinds should have embraced the hell out of BTX.

Yup, I'm sure there are Intel Fans who feel the same way about never buying AMD. I say that about all Fans as an opinion. What Intel said about Integrated memory and 64bit was BS as well. Both AMD and Intel PR folks are taught to bad mouth what they don't have tech-wise.

With that said, I'll easily say this is one of the fairer Forums on the web. Many of the others have AMD !!!!!!s for Mods.

Now, with that out of the way. I'm looking forward to Cedar Mill and it will be something overclockers might want really check out.

Donnie27
Ironically that's how most of your posts sound (only on the other foot).

I'm not too concerned. I am glad that presler is almost out and I can recommend people to buy Pentium 4's again and still be able to sleep at night.

Helped two ppl spec out prescotts and had lots of thermal problems.

I'm personally not too concerned. There isn't anything my good 845PE can't run at 1280 res. I decided back in the fall sometime that I'm not upgrading until Conroe is released. It'll be an intersting jump into LGA, DDR2, PCIe, 64bit and Vista. gonna be costly...Having to replace the motherboard with a cpu upgrade makes sense to me though. But thinking back I also tend to only have one processor from each generation and there are shittons of compents that are improved upon and need replacing../. 486 50mhz, pentium 100mhz, K6-2 350(uggh), p3 800, p4 2.4.

USMC2Hard4U said:
The 955x Will not support the New 65nm Pentium D "Preslers"

Strange since 945 and 955 work perfectly fine with Presler and will support Conroe too....

BTW , the highest OC with Presler EE were reached using Asus' 955x board....

savantu said:
Strange since 945 and 955 work perfectly fine with Presler and will support Conroe too....

BTW , the highest OC with Presler EE were reached using Asus' 955x board....

The Presler family of chips will work with the 955X motherboards, and all that is needed is a simple BIOS update. The only Presler chip that won't work with the 955X motherboards is the 955EE.

vapb400 said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83838&highlight=955XE

There is a 955XE working flawlessly with i955X

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this:
945/955 will all support Presler/Cedar Mill with a bios update, but not 955XE

SOME 945/955 will support 955XE, but only because they had proper BIOS updates and had suitable power features from the beginning. So to me this looks like probably just the P5WD2.

I expect any 1st class mobo makers' boards to support 955XE ....

vapb400 said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83838&highlight=955XE

There is a 955XE working flawlessly with i955X

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this:
945/955 will all support Presler/Cedar Mill with a bios update, but not 955XE

SOME 945/955 will support 955XE, but only because they had proper BIOS updates and had suitable power features from the beginning. So to me this looks like probably just the P5WD2.

My mistake, I stand corrected.

The Doc said:
My mistake, I stand corrected.

I was wrong ;) I went to Intel for facts! This is an EE they're talking about here.

Processor NumberΔ 840, 955
Architecture 90 nm and 65 nm technology
L2 Cache 2x1MB and 2x2MB
L3 Cache NA
Clock Speed 3.20 and 3.46 GHz
Front Side Bus 800 MHz and 1066 MHz
Chipset Intel® 975X Express chipset Intel® 955X Express Chipset

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
I was wrong ;) I went to Intel for facts! This is an EE they're talking about here.

Processor NumberΔ 840, 955
Architecture 90 nm and 65 nm technology
L2 Cache 2x1MB and 2x2MB
L3 Cache NA
Clock Speed 3.20 and 3.46 GHz
Front Side Bus 800 MHz and 1066 MHz
Chipset Intel® 975X Express chipset Intel® 955X Express Chipset

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

Donnie27

The 955EE puts up solid numbers against AMD's best dual core offerings. I may have to upgrade to a 975X motherboard and this chip to replace my old setup.

The Doc said:
The 955EE puts up solid numbers against AMD's best dual core offerings. I may have to upgrade to a 975X motherboard and this chip to replace my old setup.

I don't know. I want to see the tests of the plain 950 and etc.. first. But I agree it (955EE)did pretty well for a first run. Follow on steppings will get even better. For many apps HT will not make much of a difference and the prices of the others will be much better. Hell 955EE doesn't fit into my budget. More power to those who can afford them. I'm nothing but impressed with what I've seen from the i975 and the i965X will be even more kick-ass!

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
and the i965X will be even more kick-ass!

Donnie27

I wouldn't go that far. Broadwater has been VERY dissapointing. You have to remember that 965 will be what 945 is to 975.... a "value" board, not much else. Also, don't get too excited and pick one up when they first come out. Give it about a year before spending coin on one. Can't say much but I would say the first few runs of 965 are gonna blow.

Poncho said:
I wouldn't go that far. Broadwater has been VERY dissapointing. You have to remember that 965 will be what 945 is to 975.... a "value" board, not much else. Also, don't get too excited and pick one up when they first come out. Give it about a year before spending coin on one. Can't say much but I would say the first few runs of 965 are gonna blow.

Yeah, I never like buying first run but sometimes first runs are good! X-Fi sound card and i875 Motherboards are good examples of that. i965 carries ICH8, I thought I saw ICH7 on i975, IMHO, that mean Intel didn't have it ready in time. ICH7 was late now that I think about it. Anyway, you gave very good advice and thank you very much.

Donnie27

975 is ICH7.... because the MCH is based on the 955 and 945, basically. It's just a performance board based on those products. Now... 965 is a compleatly different design than 945, 955, 975. They (intel) are just bouncing the numbering scheme around. ICH8 was never designed to run on 975, the board was based around ICH7. Now... you might not see ICH8 implemented on 965 for a while, there is talk that ICH7 will be used on the first production runs. This might not end up happening, but from everything that I have seen, it wouldn't surprise me.

Poncho said:
975 is ICH7.... because the MCH is based on the 955 and 945, basically. It's just a performance board based on those products. Now... 965 is a compleatly different design than 945, 955, 975. They (intel) are just bouncing the numbering scheme around. ICH8 was never designed to run on 975, the board was based around ICH7. Now... you might not see ICH8 implemented on 965 for a while, there is talk that ICH7 will be used on the first production runs. This might not end up happening, but from everything that I have seen, it wouldn't surprise me.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure, thanks for the info! You know, it wouldn't surpise me either. What's up with the other lightly talked about models? I saw something about i963 and at least one other 97x? Got any info on them?

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
I saw something about i963 and at least one other 97x? Got any info on them?

Donnie27

No idea, that type of stuff is a bit over my pay grade. :D Combine that with the fact that I'm currently working on the server side of things, I pick up what I can from others. Though I did get a Conroe Proc to play with on Fri, haven't had a chance to play with it yet though and I have to give it back. :( I should have some updates on Tue though. Might need to "extend" the de-bug for a bit longer. :D

Poncho said:
No idea, that type of stuff is a bit over my pay grade. :D Combine that with the fact that I'm currently working on the server side of things, I pick up what I can from others. Though I did get a Conroe Proc to play with on Fri, haven't had a chance to play with it yet though and I have to give it back. :( I should have some updates on Tue though. Might need to "extend" the de-bug for a bit longer. :D

Can't to WAIT see it.

What's the difference (aside from perhaps a performance boost) between ICH7 and ICH8? Remember, I'm looking for a board that will last me a while, but I want it in January, so my options are pretty limited to the 955 and the 975, and of course I think I'll be getting the 975.

steviep said:
and of course I think I'll be getting the 975.

Then you'll be getting ICH7. :D Honestly though, I'm not really sure of any major differences between the two. The big jump was from ICH6 to ICH7. There were much more noticable differences there, RAID being the biggest. What I do know is ICH8 should be the last to include IDE, everything is going to be SATA, and IIRC there are 6 SATA ports on ICH8, which is kinda nice. But I believe thats the biggie, so ask yourself if A) you need more SATA options (ICH RAID5 is kinda nice) and B) if you can wait a year for a stable platform using ICH8.

I currently have an IDE system, and will only be getting a couple SATA drives on the upgrade (not converting everything) so I'll be fine with ICH7. Never mind the fact that I won't be waiting a year :)

Any other diffences between 965 and 975?

steviep said:

Off the top of my head, not any that I know of. But you should consider that since ICH6 there has only been 1 IDE channel (2 devices), so if you have any more than that you'll need to consider an add in IDE card or a board (not intel brand) with built in controllers. That's the main reason that I went with the ASUS P5AD2-Premium (925). I've got a few storage drives that are IDE and needed the other channels and didn't have room for a PCI controller.

steviep said:
I currently have an IDE system, and will only be getting a couple SATA drives on the upgrade (not converting everything) so I'll be fine with ICH7. Never mind the fact that I won't be waiting a year :)

Better drivers, controllers and buffers. 2 more SATA-II, Extended RAID options, 2 more USB and better power management is what I was told by an Intel rep. But he's a salesman, not an engineer and admits as much.

Donnie27

This roadmap was posted on another forum

inteldcroadmap3sn.gif

I've already got an IDE card plus some external USB2.0 cases. That's not an issue.
But I'm going to get really really peeved if a Conroe doesn't work on my 975 board. Intel has to stop making motherboards for each new processor release, and start future proofing boards they DO release. It's the same f'n socket, for shit's sake!

steviep said:
I've already got an IDE card plus some external USB2.0 cases. That's not an issue.
But I'm going to get really really peeved if a Conroe doesn't work on my 975 board. Intel has to stop making motherboards for each new processor release, and start future proofing boards they DO release. It's the same f'n socket, for shit's sake!

I KNOW for a fact that Conroe will work on 975, intels pre-production boards at least. As for other manufactures.... that's really up to them. I'd be willing to bet they will. I was planning on testing Conroe out on a gigabyte 975 board next week and see if it works. I'll post here what I find out.

If conroe does work on the 975x im gonna have a hard choice ahead of me..get the faster Yonah and have to upgrade mobos again..or get a slower Pentium D and 975x and hold out for conroe. Either way i need to do something before Q3 as this system is starting to show its age. (Not even Dual Channel Ram!)

Flak Pyro said:
This roadmap was posted on another forum

inteldcroadmap3sn.gif

If Intel delivers a 3.2Ghz Conroe and a 3.33Ghz Conroe XE in Q3 2k6 , AMD's in for a nice doomsday party....

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Back