Who is exicited about 975X

Lazn_Work said:
I doesn't matter if Asus put a setting in there for a 9ghz FSB, the chipset would be overclocked if you set it to a non Intel spec.

Yes running a 440BX chipset at 133MHZ FSB is overclocking the chipset.

I had a Abit BX133 motherboard.. a BX chipset motherboard made by Abit to run 133MHZ fsb cpu's. And running it as designed was overclocking the CHIPSET. If the chipset had blown up, Abit would have replaced the board, but they could NOT have gotten any support from Intel for the problem because they were selling the board out of spec, eg: overclocked.

==>Lazn

Again, give me link saying it CAN'T or is LOCKED to 1066? Not you, I or anyone else knows the Max speed for i975 so quit acting like you do=P We don't know if the speed is set by Clock Gens installed or the speed of the Chipset itself. Again I gave the example of the Asus P4T-E's Clock Gens just for that reason. If Asus SPEC doesn't meet INTEL'S spec it still doesn't mean it's overclocked. Warranty is then covered by Asus.

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
Again, give me link saying it CAN'T or is LOCKED to 1066? Not you, I or anyone else knows the Max speed for i975 so quit acting like you do=P We don't know if the speed is set by Clock Gens installed or the speed of the Chipset itself. Again I gave the example of the Asus P4T-E's Clock Gens just for that reason. If Asus SPEC doesn't meet INTEL'S spec it still doesn't mean it's overclocked. Warranty is then covered by Asus.

Donnie27

I gave you the link from Intel (the MFG of the chipset) that stated the supported FSBs that the chipset has. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/975x/index.htm (under features it says: 1066-/800-MHz System Bus )

Now if Asus, or Abit, or anyone else wanted to sell that chipset with other FSBs other than 800 or 1066, even if it is 1067, then that is out of spec, and overclocked.

Sure Asus might support it, but if Joe Mama's comptuer sold Opteron's running at 3 GHZ using Vapochill's Phase Change cooler, and offered a full lifetime warranty (from them) does that change the fact that it would be an overclocked system just because they support it? No, so how does it change if Asus does the overclocking?

Or Dell for that matter (they will start selling XPS systems overclocked to 4.2GHZ this year, they are still overclocked systems, even though Dell is warrantying them)

Motherboard MFGs have been selling motherboards that overclock chipsets for years. (duh) Some even with "official" Turbo (+5mhz) type settings. That doesn't change the fact that it is overclocked.

We could argue about this all day, but the fact of the matter is that officially the 975X chipset does not suport any FSB other than 800 and 1066mhz.

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
I gave you the link from Intel (the MFG of the chipset) that stated the supported FSBs that the chipset has. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/975x/index.htm (under features it says: 1066-/800-MHz System Bus )

That's not what the hell you said. That link doesn't say the chipset can't do a certain amount of speed. Extended support and overclocking is NOT the same, no matter what you think.

Lazn_Work said:
Now if Asus, or Abit, or anyone else wanted to sell that chipset with other FSBs other than 800 or 1066, even if it is 1067, then that is out of spec, and overclocked.

Bullspit!

Lazn_Work said:
Sure Asus might support it, but if Joe Mama's comptuer sold Opteron's running at 3 GHZ using Vapochill's Phase Change cooler, and offered a full lifetime warranty (from them) does that change the fact that it would be an overclocked system just because they support it? No, so how does it change if Asus does the overclocking?

There is no Vapo or anything else LOL! Asus SPEC-ED it for 1333MHz FSB, It says "Override" not overclocked!

Lazn_Work said:
Or Dell for that matter (they will start selling XPS systems overclocked to 4.2GHZ this year, they are still overclocked systems, even though Dell is warrantying them)

There are VAR's selling overclocked rigs and you're spinning this spin out of control. Come back with us here. That has NOTHING to do with this setting in the BIOS.

Lazn_Work said:
Motherboard MFGs have been selling motherboards that overclock chipsets for years. (duh) Some even with "official" Turbo (+5mhz) type settings. That doesn't change the fact that it is overclocked.

We could argue about this all day, but the fact of the matter is that officially the 975X chipset does not suport any FSB other than 800 and 1066mhz.

==>Lazn

Yeah whatever you say! Duh, Override doesn't mean Overclock. A 5:4 Ratio is a Spec and that slows that RAM down. Oh wait, that's underclocking LOL!

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
That's not what the hell you said. That link doesn't say the chipset can't do a certain amount of speed. Extended support and overclocking is NOT the same, no matter what you think.

Bullspit!

There is no Vapo or anything else LOL! Asus SPEC-ED it for 1333MHz FSB, It says "Override" not overclocked!

There are VAR's selling overclocked rigs and you're spinning this spin out of control. Come back with us here. That has NOTHING to do with this setting in the BIOS.

Yeah whatever you say! Duh, Override doesn't mean Overclock. A 5:4 Ratio is a Spec and that slows that RAM down. Oh wait, that's underclocking LOL!

Donnie27

Whatever, I am not going to argue with you anymore, you are wrong, end of story.

==>Lazn

Ok same sudject a little off topic . So someone here is sayinging all those O/C 7800GTX'S from the vendors are infact O/C gpu's and should not be used in reviews against stock X1800Xt"s and I agree . But thats not how its viewed and any pc vendor that wants to O/C their systems and offer a warranty infact is delivering a stock machine that is running out of spec . Its one or the other we can't have it both ways.

$BangforThe$ said:
Ok same sudject a little off topic . So someone here is sayinging all those O/C 7800GTX'S from the vendors are infact O/C gpu's and should not be used in reviews against stock X1800Xt"s and I agree . But thats not how its viewed and any pc vendor that wants to O/C their systems and offer a warranty infact is delivering a stock machine that is running out of spec . Its one or the other we can't have it both ways.

Well it is simple.. They are overclocked. They are warrantied by the MFG, but not by Nvidia. (Note that the BFG even says in the description that it is Overclocked.)

The spec is set by nvidia, and it is actually in their interest that the MFG sells them overclocked, because the ones that fail from the overclock are not their fault, and they get to sell more chips to the MFG. (as it is the MFG's responsibility)

As for if they should be benchmarked at those speeds, yes, that is how they are sold, so benchmark them at their stock (overclocked speeds).

==>Lazn

Back